- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2011 (2011), Article ID 951043, 11 pages
Vanadium Inhalation in a Mouse Model for the Understanding of Air-Suspended Particle Systemic Repercussion
1Departamento de Biología Celular y Tisular, Facultad de Medicina, UNAM, 04510 Mexico City, Mexico
2Departamento de Neurociencias, FES Iztacala UNAM, 54090 Tlalnepantla, Mex, Mexico
Received 15 September 2010; Revised 11 February 2011; Accepted 8 March 2011
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2011 T. I. Fortoul et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. I. Fortoul and M. Rojas-Lemus, “Vanadium as an air pollutant,” in Vanadium: Its Impact on Health, T. I. Fortoul and M. R. Avila-Costa, Eds., chapter 1, pp. 1–6, Nova Science, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- N. Englert, “Fine particles and human health—a review of epidemiological studies,” Toxicology Letters, vol. 149, no. 1–3, pp. 235–242, 2004.
- A. González-Villalva, A. Rodriguez-Lara, V. Montaño, et al., “Blood changes generated after vanadium inhalation,” Current Topics in Toxicology, vol. 6, pp. 31–38, 2009.
- T. I. Fortoul, G. Piñón-Zárate, M. E. Díaz-Bech et al., “Spleen and bone marrow megakaryocytes as targets for inhaled vanadium,” Histology and Histopathology, vol. 23, no. 11, pp. 1321–1326, 2008.
- A. E. González-Villalva, C. I. Falcón-Rodríguez, and T. I. Fortoul, “Signaling pathways involved in megakaryopoiesis,” Gaceta Médica de México, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 136–143, 2010.
- G. Piñón-Zarate, M. Rojas-Lemus, E. Garcia- Zepeda, and T. I. Fortoul, “Metals and immune system,” in Metals and Toxicological Implication in Health, T. I. Fortoul, Ed., chapter 5, pp. 43–64, Research Signpost, 2007.
- M. R. Avila-Costa and T. I. Fortoul, “Vanadium and the liver,” in Vanadium: Its Impact on Health, T. I. Fortoul and M. R. Avila-Costa, Eds., chapter 8, pp. 57–74, Nova Science, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- J. C. Bonner, A. B. Rice, C. R. Moomaw, and D. L. Morgan, “Airway fibrosis in rats induced by vanadium pentoxide,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 278, no. 1, pp. L209–L216, 2000.
- E. A. Knecht, W. J. Moorman, J. C. Clark, D. W. Lynch, and T. R. Lewis, “Pulmonary effects of acute vanadium pentoxide inhalation in monkeys,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 132, no. 6, pp. 1181–1185, 1985.
- T. I. Fortoul, V. Rodriguez-Lara, P. Mussali-Galante, P. Diaz-Bech, and L. F. Montaño, “Vanadium and respiratory system,” in Vanadium Its Impact on Health, T. I. Fortoul and M. R. Avila-Costa, Eds., chapter 3, pp. 21–27, Nova Science, 2007.
- M. R. Avila-Costa, L. Colín-Barenque, A. Zepeda-Rodríguez et al., “Ependymal epithelium disruption after vanadium pentoxide inhalation: a mice experimental model,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 381, no. 1-2, pp. 21–25, 2005.
- M. R. Avila-Costa, E. D. Montiel Flores, L. Colín-Barenque, et al., “Nigrostriatal modifications alter vanadium inhalation and inmunocytochemical and cytological approach,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 29, no. 7, pp. 1365–1369, 2004.
- M. R. Avila-Costa, T. I. Fortoul, G. Niño-Cabrera, et al., “Hippocampal cell alterations induced by the inhalation of vanadium pentoxide(V2O5) promote memory deterioration,” Neurotoxicology, vol. 27, pp. 1007–1012, 2006.
- A. K. Chandra, R. Ghosh, A. Chatterjee, and M. Sarkar, “Effects of vanadate on male rat reproductive tract histology, oxidative stress markers and androgenic enzyme activities,” Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 944–956, 2007.
- M. A. Aragón, M. E. Ayala, T. I. Fortoul, P. Bizarro, and M. Altamirano-Lozano, “Vanadium induced ultrastructural changes and apoptosis in male germ cells,” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 127–134, 2005.
- T. I. Fortoul, P. Bizarro-Nevares, S. Acevedo-Nava, et al., “Ultrastructural findings in murine seminiferous tubules as a consequence of subchronic vanadium pentoxide inhalation,” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 588–592, 2007.
- T. I. Fortoul, R. C. Salgado, S. G. Moncada et al., “Ultrastructural findings in the murine nonciliated bronchiolar cells (NCBC) after subacute inhalation of lead acetate,” Acta Veterinaria Brno, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 51–55, 1999.
- P. Mussali-Galante, V. Rodríguez-Lara, B. Hernández-Tellez et al., “Inhaled vanadium pentoxide decrease gamma-tubulin of mouse testes at different exposure times,” Toxicology and Industrial Health, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 215–222, 2005.
- J.-S. Taylor, “Unraveling the molecular pathway from sunlight to skin cancer,” Accounts of Chemical Research, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 76–82, 1994.
- T. Lindahl and R. D. Wood, “Quality control by DNA repair,” Science, vol. 286, no. 5446, pp. 1897–1905, 1999.
- G. Slupphaug, B. Kavli, and H. E. Krokan, “The interacting pathways for prevention and repair of oxidative DNA damage,” Mutation Research, vol. 531, no. 1-2, pp. 231–251, 2003.
- M. Valko, C. J. Rhodes, J. Moncol, M. Izakovic, and M. Mazur, “Free radicals, metals and antioxidants in oxidative stress-induced cancer,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 160, no. 1, pp. 1–40, 2006.
- B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge, “Oxygen toxicity, oxygen radicals, transition metals and disease,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 219, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1984.
- P. Møller, “Genotoxicity of environmental agents assessed by the alkaline comet assay,” Basic and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 1–42, 2005.
- SCF, “Opinion of the scientific panel of dietetic products, nutrition and allergies on a request from the comission related to the tolerable upper intake level of vanadium,” The EFSA Journal, vol. 33, pp. 1–22, 2004.
- P. Mussali-Galante, M. R. Ávila-Costa, G. Piñón-Zarate et al., “DNA damage as an early biomarker of effect in human health,” Toxicology and Industrial Health, vol. 21, no. 7-8, pp. 155–166, 2005.
- S. Bonassi, A. Znaor, M. Ceppi et al., “An increased micronucleus frequency in peripheral blood lymphocytes predicts the risk of cancer in humans,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 625–631, 2007.
- G. Krishna and M. Hayashi, “In vivo rodent micronucleus assay: protocol, conduct and data interpretation,” Mutation Research, vol. 455, no. 1-2, pp. 155–166, 2000.
- M. Badeau, H. Adlercreutz, P. Kaihovaara, and M. J. Tikkanen, “Estrogen A-ring structure and antioxidative effect on lipoproteins,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 96, no. 3-4, pp. 271–278, 2005.
- D. Amantea, R. Russo, G. Bagetta, and M. T. Corasaniti, “From clinical evidence to molecular mechanisms underlying neuroprotection afforded by estrogens,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 119–132, 2005.
- T. I. Fortoul and M. L. Ruiz, “Bone and teeth effects,” in Vanadium: Its Impact on Health, T. I. Fortoul and M. R. Avila-Costa, Eds., pp. 1–6, Nova Science, New York, NY, USA, 2007.
- W. H. Bowen, “Exposure to metal ions and susceptibility to dental caries,” Journal of Dental Education, vol. 65, pp. 1046–1053, 2001.
- H. Zaporowska and W. Wasilewski, “Some selected peripheral blood and haemopoietic system indices in Wistar rats with chronic vanadium intoxication,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 175–180, 1989.
- H. Zaporowska and W. Wasilewski, “Haematological results of vanadium intoxication in Wistar rats,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 57–61, 1992.
- H. Zaporowska and W. Wasilewski, “Haematological effects of vanadium on living organisms,” Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology C, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 223–231, 1992.
- H. Zaporowska and M. Słotwińska, “Effect of vanadium on rat erythrocytes in vitro,” Folia Histochemica et Cytobiologica, vol. 34, supplement 1, pp. 99–100, 1996.
- X. Yang, K. Wang, J. Lu, and D. C. Crans, “Membrane transport of vanadium compounds and the interaction with the erythrocyte membrane,” Coordination Chemistry Reviews, vol. 237, no. 1-2, pp. 103–111, 2003.
- National Toxicology Program, “NTP toxicology and carcinogensis studies of vanadium pentoxide (CAS No. 1314-62-1) in F344/N rats and B6C3F1 mice (inhalation),” National Toxicology Program Technical Report Series, vol. 507, pp. 1–343, 2002.
- M. V. Aguirre, J. A. Juaristi, M. A. Alvarez, and N. C. Brandan, “Characteristics of in vivo murine erythropoietic response to sodium orthovanadate,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 55–68, 2005.
- S. Dai and J. H. McNeill, “One-year treatment of non-diabetic and streptozotocin-diabetic rats with vanadyl sulphate did not alter blood pressure or haematological indices,” Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 110–115, 1994.
- J. P. Fawcett, S. J. Farquhar, T. Thou, and B. I. Shand, “Oral vanadyl sulphate does not affect blood cells, viscosity or biochemistry in humans,” Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 202–206, 1997.
- M. Föller, M. Sopjani, H. Mahmud, and F. Lang, “Vanadate-induced suicidal erythrocyte death,” Kidney and Blood Pressure Research, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 87–93, 2008.
- A. González-Villalva, I. Fortoul Teresa, M. R. Avila-Costa, et al., “Thrombocytosis induced in mice after subacute and subchronic V2O5 inhalation,” Toxicology and Industrial Health, vol. 22, pp. 113–116, 2006.
- T. I. Fortoul, A. González-Villalva, G. Piñón-Zarate, V. Rodríguez-Lara, L. F. Montaño, and L. Saldivar-Osorio, “Ultrastructural megakaryocyte modifications after vanadium inhalation in spleen and bone marrow,” Journal of Electron Microscopy, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 375–380, 2009.
- M. A. Al-Bayati, M. R. Culbertson, J. P. Schreider, L. S. Rosenblatt, and O. G. Raabe, “The lymphotoxic action of vanadate,” Journal of Environmental Pathology, Toxicology and Oncology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 83–91, 1992.
- L. I. Wu and Y. J. Liu, “Development of dendritic-cell lineages,” Immunity, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 741–750, 2007.
- J. Gusik, R. Korbut, and T. Adamek-Guzik, “Nitric oxide and auperoxide in inflammationand immune regulation,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 469–487, 2003.
- J. C. Bonner, P. M. Lindroos, A. B. Rice, C. R. Moomaw, and D. L. Morgan, “Induction of PDGF receptor-α in rat myofibroblasts during pulmonary fibrogenesis in vivo,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 274, no. 1, pp. L72–L80, 1998.
- N. B. Ress, B. J. Chou, R. A. Renne, et al., “Carcinogenicity of inhaled vanadium pentoxide in F344/N rats and B6C3F 1 mice,” Toxicological Sciences, vol. 74, pp. 287–296, 2003.
- T. I. Fortoul and C. I. Falcón-Rodríguez, “The lung and metals,” in Metals ans Toxicological Implication in Health, T. I. Fortoul, Ed., chapter 7, pp. 71–79, Research Signpost, 2007.
- X. Wang and E. K. Michaelis, “Selective neuronal vulnerability to oxidative stress in the brain,” Frontiers Aging of Neuroscience, vol. 2, pp. 1–13, 2010.
- D. Practicò and N. Delanty, “Oxidative injury in disease of the central nervous system: focus on Alzheimer's disease,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 109, no. 7, pp. 577–585, 2000.
- S. Nikam, P. Nikam, S. K. Ahaley, and A. V. Sontakke, “Oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease,” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 98–101, 2009.
- M. R. Avila-Costa, T. I. Fortoul, L. Colín-Barenque, J. Ordoñez-Librado, and A. Gutierrez-Valdez, “Vanadium and the Nervous System,” in Vanadium: Its Impact on Health, T. I. Fortoul and M. R. Avila-Costa, Eds., pp. 29–42, Nova Science, 2007.
- M. H. Özdener and N. E. Rawson, “Olfactory dysfunction in neurodegenerative disease,” European Journal of General Medicine, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 1–11, 2004.
- Y. Luo and G. S. Roth, “The roles of dopamine oxidative stress and dopamine receptor signaling in aging and age-related neurodegeneration,” Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 449–460, 2000.
- R. Jimenez- Martínez, Daño Oxidante en Corteza Cerebral y Plexo Coroideo de Ratones Expuestos a Pentóxido de Vanadio por Vía Inhalada, Tesis de Licenciatura. Universidad Nacional Autonoma de México, 2009.
- L. Colín-Barenque, M. R. Avila-Costa, M. Marínez, et al., “Alteraciones ultraestructurales en giro dentado de ratones expuestos a la inhalación de Pentóxido de vanadio,” Acta Microscopica, vol. 18, no. 3, 2009.
- L. Colín-Barenque, M. G. Martínez-Hernández, L. A. Baiza-Gutman, et al., “Matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9 in central nervous system and its modification after vanadium inhalation,” Journal of Applied Toxicology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 718–723, 2008.
- A. Szlarczyk, J. Lapinska, M. Rylski, R. Mckay, and L. Kaczmarek, “Matrix metalloproteinase-9 urdergoes expression and activation during dendritic remodeling in adult hippocampus,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 920–930, 2002.
- P. Bizarro and S. Acevedo, “Capítulo 15. Aparato reproductor masculino,” in Biología Celular y Tisular, T. Fortoul and A. Castell, Eds., p. 265, McGrawHill, México, México.
- K. Caires, J. Broady, and D. McLean, “Maintaining the male germline: regulation of spermatogonial stem cells,” The Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 205, no. 2, pp. 133–145, 2010.
- A. K. Chandra, R. Ghosh, A. Chatterjee, and M. Sarkar, “Amelioration of vanadium-induced testicular toxicity and adrenocortical hyperactivity by vitamin E acetate in rats,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 306, no. 1-2, pp. 189–200, 2007.
- W. C. Prozialeck, G. B. Grunwald, P. M. Dey, K. R. Reuhl, and A. R. Parrish, “Cadherins and NCAM as potential targets in metal toxicity,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 182, no. 3, pp. 255–265, 2002.
- S. O. Mikalsen and O. Kaalhus, “A characterization of pervanadate, an inducer of cellular tyrosine phosphorylation and inhibitor of gap junctional intercellular communication,” Biochimica et Biophysca Acta, vol. 1290, no. 3, pp. 308–318, 1996.