- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 106783, 10 pages
A Novel System for Rapid and Cost-Effective Production of Detection and Diagnostic Reagents of West Nile Virus in Plants
1The Biodesign Institute, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
2College of Technology and Innovation, Arizona State University, Mesa, AZ 85212, USA
Received 1 August 2011; Accepted 2 September 2011
Academic Editor: Bradley J. Blitvich
Copyright © 2012 Junyun He et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Hubálek and J. Halouzka, “West Nile fever—a reemerging mosquito-borne viral disease in Europe,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 643–650, 1999.
- A. V. Bode, J. J. Sejvar, W. J. Pape, G. L. Campbell, and A. A. Marfin, “West Nile Virus disease: A descriptive study of 228 patients hospitalized in a 4-county region of Colorado in 2003,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 1234–1240, 2006.
- M. S. Diamond and R. S. Klein, “A genetic basis for human susceptibility to West Nile virus,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 287–289, 2006.
- W. Zhang, J. Wu, Y. Li, F. Li, and H. Njoo, “Rapid and accurate in vitro assays for detection of West Nile virus in blood and tissues,” Transfusion Medicine Reviews, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 146–154, 2009.
- J. M. Linnen, M. L. Deras, J. Cline et al., “Performance evaluation of the PROCLEIX® West Nile virus assay on semi-automated and automated systems,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 79, no. 9, pp. 1422–1430, 2007.
- Y. Tang, C. Anne Hapip, B. Liu, and C. T. Fang, “Highly sensitive TaqMan RT-PCR assay for detection and quantification of both lineages of West Nile virus RNA,” Journal of Clinical Virology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 177–182, 2006.
- H. E. Prince and W. R. Hogrefe, “Assays for detecting West Nile Virus antibodies in human serum, plasma, and cerebrospinal fluid,” Clinical and Applied Immunology Reviews, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 45–63, 2005.
- A. R. Sambol and S. H. Hinrichs, “Evaluation of a new West Nile virus lateral-flow rapid IgM assay,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 223–226, 2009.
- M. Parida, G. Posadas, S. Inoue, F. Hasebe, and K. Morita, “Real-time reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification for rapid detection of West Nile virus,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 257–263, 2004.
- R. S. Lanciotti, A. J. Kerst, R. S. Nasci et al., “Rapid detection of West Nile virus from human clinical specimens, field-collected mosquitoes, and avian samples by a TaqMan reverse transcriptase-PCR assay,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 11, pp. 4066–4071, 2000.
- J. J. H. Chu, R. Rajamanonmani, J. Li, R. Bhuvananakantham, J. Lescar, and M. L. Ng, “Inhibition of West Nile virus entry by using a recombinant domain III from the envelope glycoprotein,” Journal of General Virology, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 405–412, 2005.
- J. Alonso-Padilla, N. J. de Oya, A. -B. Blázquez, E. Escribano-Romero, J. M. Escribano, and J. -C. Saiz, “Recombinant West Nile virus envelope protein E and domain III expressed in insect larvae protects mice against West Nile disease,” Vaccine, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1830–1835, 2011.
- T. Oliphant, M. Engle, G. E. Nybakken et al., “Development of a humanized monoclonal antibody with therapeutic potential against West Nile virus,” Nature Medicine, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 522–530, 2005.
- L. Faye and V. Gomord, “Success stories in molecular farming—a brief overview,” Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 525–528, 2010.
- Q. Chen, “Expression and manufacture of pharmaceutical proteins in genetically engineered horticultural plants,” in Transgenic Horticultural Crops: Challenges and Opportunities—Essays by Experts, B. Mou and R. Scorza, Eds., pp. 86–126, Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, Fla, USA, 2011.
- H. M. Davies, “Commercialization of whole-plant systems for biomanufacturing of protein products: evolution and prospects,” Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 845–861, 2010.
- T. V. Komarova, S. Baschieri, M. Donini, C. Marusic, E. Benvenuto, and Y. L. Dorokhov, “Transient expression systems for plant-derived biopharmaceuticals,” Expert Review of Vaccines, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 859–876, 2010.
- M. C. Cañizares, L. Nicholson, and G. P. Lomonossoff, “Use of viral vectors for vaccine production in plants,” Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 263–270, 2005.
- C. Lico, Q. Chen, and L. Santi, “Viral vectors for production of recombinant proteins in plants,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 216, no. 2, pp. 366–377, 2008.
- A. Giritch, S. Marillonnet, C. Engler et al., “Rapid high-yield expression of full-size IgG antibodies in plants coinfected with noncompeting viral vectros,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 40, pp. 14701–14706, 2006.
- Q. Chen, J. He, W. Phoolcharoen, and H. S. Mason, “Geminiviral vectors based on bean yellow dwarf virus for production of vaccine antigens and monoclonal antibodies in plants,” Human Vaccines, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 331–338, 2011.
- A. Villalobos, J. E. Ness, C. Gustafsson, J. Minshull, and S. Govindarajan, “Gene Designer: a synthetic biology tool for constructuring artificial DNA segments,” BMC Bioinformatics, vol. 7, article no. 285, 2006.
- H. Lai, M. Engle, A. Fuchs et al., “Monoclonal antibody produced in plants efficiently treats West Nile virus infection in mice,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 6, pp. 2419–2424, 2010.
- H. Lai, J. He, M. Engle, et al., “Robust production of virus-like particles and monoclonal antibodies with geminiviral replicon vectors in lettuce,” Plant Biotechnology Journal. In press.
- Z. Huang, Q. Chen, B. Hjelm, C. Arntzen, and H. Mason, “A DNA replicon system for rapid high-level production of virus-like particles in plants,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 103, no. 4, pp. 706–714, 2009.
- Z. Huang, W. Phoolcharoen, H. Lai et al., “High-level rapid production of full-size monoclonal antibodies in plants by a single-vector DNA replicon system,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 9–17, 2010.
- V. Negrouk, G. Eisner, H. I. Lee, K. Han, D. Taylor, and H. C. Wong, “Highly efficient transient expression of functional recombinant antibodies in lettuce,” Plant Science, vol. 169, no. 2, pp. 433–438, 2005.
- L. Santi, L. Batchelor, Z. Huang et al., “An efficient plant viral expression system generating orally immunogenic Norwalk virus-like particles,” Vaccine, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 1846–1854, 2008.
- T. Oliphant, G. E. Nybakken, S. K. Austin et al., “Induction of epitope-specific neutralizing antibodies against West Nile virus,” Journal of Virology, vol. 81, no. 21, pp. 11828–11839, 2007.
- A. J. Conley, H. Zhu, L. C. Le et al., “Recombinant protein production in a variety of Nicotiana hosts: a comparative analysis,” Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 434–444, 2011.
- Q. Chen, “Turning a new leaf,” European Biopharmaceutical Review, vol. 2, no. 56, pp. 64–68, 2011.
- Q. Chen, “Expression and purification of pharmaceutical proteins in plants,” Biological Engineering, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 291–321, 2008.
- W. D. Crill and G. J. J. Chang, “Localization and characterization of flavivirus envelope glycoprotein cross-reactive epitopes,” Journal of Virology, vol. 78, no. 24, pp. 13975–13986, 2004.
- N. A. Panella, K. L. Burkhalter, S. A. Langevin et al., “Rapid West Nile virus antigen detection,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 11, no. 10, pp. 1633–1635, 2005.
- E. Sotelo, F. Llorente, B. Rebollo et al., “Development and evaluation of a new epitope-blocking ELISA for universal detection of antibodies to West Nile virus,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 174, no. 1-2, pp. 35–41, 2011.
- Q. Chen, C. O. Tacket, H. Mason, et al., “Subunit vaccines produced using plant biotechnology,” in New Generation Vaccines, M. M. Levine, Ed., pp. 306–315, Informa Healthcare, New York, NY, USA, 4th edition, 2009.
- W. Phoolcharoen, S. H. Bhoo, H. Lai, et al., “Expression of an immunogenic Ebola immune complex in Nicotiana benthamiana,” Plant Biotechnology Journal, vol. 9, no. 7, pp. 807–816, 2011.
- H. Lai and Q. Chen, “Bioprocessing of plant-derived virus-like particles of Norwalk virus capsid protein under current Good Manufacture Practice regulations,” Plant Cell Reports. In press.