- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 186982, 7 pages
Production of Ethanol from Sugars and Lignocellulosic Biomass by Thermoanaerobacter J1 Isolated from a Hot Spring in Iceland
Faculty of Natural Resource Sciences, University of Akureyri, Borgir, Nordurslod 2, 600 Akureyri, Iceland
Received 8 June 2012; Revised 16 August 2012; Accepted 4 September 2012
Academic Editor: Anuj K. Chandel
Copyright © 2012 Jan Eric Jessen and Johann Orlygsson. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Renewable Fuels Association, “Choose ethanol,” 2011, http://chooseethanol.com/what-is-ethanol/entry/ethanol-at-a-glance/.
- Ó. J. Sánchez and C. A. Cardona, “Trends in biotechnological production of fuel ethanol from different feedstocks,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 13, pp. 5270–5295, 2008.
- J. Zaldivar, J. Nielsen, and L. Olsson, “Fuel ethanol production from lignocellulose: a challenge for metabolic engineering and process integration,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 56, no. 1-2, pp. 17–34, 2001.
- J. Wiegel, “Formation of ethanol by bacteria. A pledge for the use of extreme thermophilic anaerobic bacteria in industrial ethanol fermentation processes,” Experientia, vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 1434–1446, 1980.
- L. S. Lacis and H. G. Lawford, “Ethanol production from xylose by Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus in batch and continuous culture,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 48–55, 1988.
- R. Lamed and J. G. Zeikus, “Ethanol production by thermophilic bacteria: relationship between fermentation product yields of and catabolic enzyme activities in Clostridium thermocellum and Thermoanaerobium brockii,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 569–578, 1980.
- A. R. Almarsdottir, M. A. Sigurbjornsdottir, and J. Orlygsson, “Effect of various factors on ethanol yields from ligncellulosic biomass by Thermoanaerobacterium AK17,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 109, no. 3, pp. 686–694, 2012.
- M. A. Sigurbjornsdottir and J. Orlygsson, “Combined hydrogen and ethanol production from sugars and lignocellulosic biomass by Thermoanaerobacterium AK54,” Applied Energy, vol. 97, pp. 785–791, 2012.
- M. P. Taylor, K. L. Eley, S. Martin, M. I. Tuffin, S. G. Burton, and D. A. Cowan, “Thermophilic ethanologenesis: future prospects for second-generation bioethanol production,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 398–405, 2009.
- P. Sommer, T. Georgieva, and B. K. Ahring, “Potential for using thermophilic anaerobic bacteria for bioethanol production from hemicellulose,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 283–289, 2004.
- J. Wiegel and L. G. Ljungdahl, “Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus gen. nov., spec. nov., a new, extreme thermophilic, anaerobic bacterium,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 128, no. 4, pp. 343–348, 1981.
- M. Sveinsdottir, S. R. B. Baldursson, and J. Orlygsson, “Ethanol production from monosugars and lignocellulosic biomass by thermophilic bacteria isolated from Icelandic hot springs,” Icelandic Agricultural Sciences, vol. 22, pp. 45–58, 2009.
- A. Avci and S. Dönmez, “Effect of zinc on ethanol production by two Thermoanaerobacter strains,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 984–989, 2006.
- L. H. Carreira, J. Wiegel, and L. G. Ljungdahl, “Production of ethanol from biopolymers by anaerobic, thermophilic, and extreme thermophilic bacteria: I. Regulation of carbohydrate utilization in mutants of Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus,” Biotechnology Bioengineering Symposium, vol. 13, no. 13, pp. 183–191, 1983.
- P. E. P. Koskinen, S. R. Beck, J. Örlygsson, and J. A. Puhakka, “Ethanol and hydrogen production by two thermophilic, anaerobic bacteria isolated from Icelandic geothermal areas,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 679–690, 2008.
- R. W. Lovitt, G. J. Shen, and J. G. Zeikus, “Ethanol production by thermophilic bacteria: biochemical basis for ethanol and hydrogen tolerance in Clostridium Thermohydrosulfuricum,” Journal of Bacteriology, vol. 170, no. 6, pp. 2809–2815, 1988.
- T. I. Georgieva, M. J. Mikkelsen, and B. K. Ahring, “Ethanol production from wet-exploded wheat straw hydrolysate by thermophilic anaerobic bacterium Thermoanaerobacter BG1L1 in a continuous immobilized reactor,” Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 145, no. 1–3, pp. 99–110, 2008.
- T. I. Georgieva and B. K. Ahring, “Evaluation of continuous ethanol fermentation of dilute-acid corn stover hydrolysate using thermophilic anaerobic bacterium Thermoanaerobacter BG1L1,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 77, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 2007.
- K. S. Rani, M. V. Swamy, and G. Seenayya, “Production of ethanol from various pure and natural cellulosic biomass by Clostridium Thermocellum strains SS21 and SS22,” Process Biochemistry, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 435–440, 1998.
- Y. E. Lee, M. K. Jain, C. Lee, et al., “Taxonomic distinction of saccharolytic thermophilic anaerobes: description of Thermoanaerobacterium xylanolyticum gen. nov., sp. nov., and Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum gen. nov., sp. nov., reclassification of Thermoanaerobium brockii, Clostridium thermosulfurogenes , and Clostridium thermohydrosulfuricum E100-69 as Thermoanaerobacter brockii comb. nov., Thermoanaerobacter thermosulfurigenes comb. nov., and Thermoanaerobacter thermohydrosulfuricus comb. nov., respectively, and transfer of Clostridium Thermohydrosulfuricum 39E to Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 41–51, 1993.
- M. L. Fardeau, M. B. Salinas, S. L'Haridon et al., “Isolation from oil resorvoirs of novel thermophilic anaerobes phylogenetically related to Thermoanaerobacter subterraneus: reassignment of T. subterraneus, Thermoanaerobacter yonseiensis, Thermoanaerobacter tengcongensis and Carboxydibrachium pacificum to Caldanaerobacter subterraneus gen. nov., sp. nov., comb. nov. as four novel subspecies,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 467–474, 2004.
- H. Brynjarsdottir, B. Wawiernia, and J. Orlygsson, “Ethanol production from sugars and complex biomass by Thermoanaerobacter AK5: the effect of electron scavenging systems on end product formation,” Energy & Fuels, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 4568–4574, 2012.
- J. Orlygsson and S. R. B. Baldursson, “Phylogenetic and physiological studies of four hydrogen-producing thermoanaerobes from Icelandic geothermal areas,” Icelandic Agricultural Sciences, vol. 93, pp. 93–106, 2007.
- T. A. Hall, “BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT,” Nucleic Acids Symposium Series, vol. 41, pp. 95–98, 1999.
- J. D. Thompson, T. J. Gibson, F. Plewniak, F. Jeanmougin, and D. G. Higgins, “The CLUSTAL X windows interface: flexible strategies for multiple sequence alignment aided by quality analysis tools,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 25, no. 24, pp. 4876–4882, 1997.
- A. Laurentin and C. A. Edwards, “A microtiter modification of the anthrone-sulfuric acid colorimetric assay for glucose-based carbohydrates,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 315, no. 1, pp. 143–145, 2003.
- M. D. Collins, P. A. Lawson, A. Willems et al., “The phylogeny of the genus Clostridium: proposal of five new genera and eleven new species combinations,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 812–826, 1994.
- M. L. Fardeau, B. K. C. Patel, M. Magot, and B. Ollivier, “Utilization of serine, leucine, isoleucine, and valine by Thermoanaerobacter brockii in the presence of thiosulfate or Methanobacterium sp. as electron accepters,” Anaerobe, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 405–410, 1997.
- I. D. Wagner, W. Zhao, C. L. Zhang, C. S. Romanek, M. Rohde, and J. Wiegel, “Thermoanaerobacter uzonensis sp. nov., an anaerobic thermophilic bacterium isolated from a hot spring within the Uzon Caldera, Kamchatka, Far East Russia,” International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 2565–2573, 2008.
- S. Van Ginkel, S. Sung, and J. J. Lay, “Biohydrogen production as a function of pH and substrate concentration,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 35, no. 24, pp. 4726–4730, 2001.
- M. L. Fardeau, C. Faudon, J. L. Cayol, M. Magot, B. K. C. Patel, and B. Ollivier, “Effect of thiosulphate as electron acceptor on glucose and xylose oxidation by Thermoanaerobacter finnii and a Thermoanaerobacter sp. isolated from oil field water,” Research in Microbiology, vol. 147, no. 3, pp. 159–165, 1996.
- J. Wiegel, L. H. Carreira, C. P. Mothershed, and J. Puls, “Production of ethanol from biopolymers by anaerobic, thermophilic, and extreme thermophilic bacteria. II. Thermoanaerobacter ethanolicus JW200 and its mutants in batch cultures and resting cell experiments,” Biotechnology Bioengineering Symposium, vol. 13, no. 13, pp. 193–205, 1983.
- L. Larsen, P. Nielsen, and B. K. Ahring, “Thermoanaerobacter mathranii sp. nov., an ethanol-producing, extremely thermophilic anaerobic bacterium from a hot spring in Iceland,” Archives of Microbiology, vol. 168, no. 2, pp. 114–119, 1997.
- B. K. Ahring, D. Licht, A. S. Schmidt, P. Sommer, and A. B. Thomsen, “Production of ethanol from wet oxidised wheat straw by Thermoanaerobacter mathranii,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 1999.