- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 205818, 11 pages
Usefulness of FDG, MET and FLT-PET Studies for the Management of Human Gliomas
Department of Neurological Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa University, 1750-1 Ikenobe, Miki-cho, Kita-gun, Kagawa 761-0793, Japan
Received 5 January 2012; Accepted 7 February 2012
Academic Editor: David J. Yang
Copyright © 2012 Keisuke Miyake et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. J. Kelly, C. Daumas-Duport, D. B. Kispert, B. A. Kall, B. W. Scheithauer, and J. J. Illig, “Imaging-based stereotaxic serial biopsies in untreated intracranial glial neoplasms,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 66, no. 6, pp. 865–874, 1987.
- H. J. Aronen, F. S. Pardo, D. N. Kennedy et al., “High microvascular blood volume is associated with high glucose uptake and tumor angiogenesis in human gliomas,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2189–2200, 2000.
- W. Chen, T. Cloughesy, N. Kamdar et al., “Imaging proliferation in brain tumors with 18F-FLT PET: comparison with 18F-FDG,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 945–952, 2005.
- S. Kim, J. K. Chung, S. H. Im et al., “11C-methionine PET as a prognostic marker in patients with glioma: comparison with 18F-FDG PET,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 52–59, 2005.
- S. J. Price, “Advances in imaging low-grade gliomas,” Advances and Technical Standards in Neurosurgery, vol. 35, pp. 1–34, 2010.
- K. Herholz, T. Hölzer, B. Bauer et al., “11C-methionine PET for differential diagnosis of low-grade gliomas,” Neurology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 1316–1322, 1998.
- L. W. Kracht, H. Miletic, S. Busch et al., “Delineation of brain tumor extent with [11C]L-methionine positron emission tomography: local comparison with stereotactic histopathology,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 10, no. 21, pp. 7163–7170, 2004.
- S. Okubo, H. N. Zhen, N. Kawai, Y. Nishiyama, R. Haba, and T. Tamiya, “Correlation of l-methyl-11C-methionine (MET) uptake with l-type amino acid transporter 1 in human gliomas,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 99, no. 2, pp. 217–225, 2010.
- S. Ceyssens, K. van Laere, T. de Groot, J. Goffin, G. Bormans, and L. Mortelmans, “[11C]methionine PET, histopathology, and survival in primary brain tumors and recurrence,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 1432–1437, 2006.
- T. Hatakeyama, N. Kawai, Y. Nishiyama et al., “11C-methionine (MET) and 18F-fluorothymidine (FLT) PET in patients with newly diagnosed glioma,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 35, no. 11, pp. 2009–2017, 2008.
- T. Nariai, Y. Tanaka, H. Wakimoto et al., “Usefulness of L-[methyl-11C] methionine-positron emission tomography as a biological monitoring tool in the treatment of glioma,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 498–507, 2005.
- K. Ishii, T. Ogawa, J. Hatazawa et al., “High L-methyl-[11C]methionine uptake in brain abscess: a PET study,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 660–661, 1993.
- M. Nakagawa, Y. Kuwabara, M. Sasaki et al., “11C-methionine uptake in cerebrovascular disease: a comparison with 18F-FDG PET and 99mTc-HMPAO SPECT,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 207–211, 2002.
- S. J. Choi, J. S. Kim, J. H. Kim, et al., “[18F]-deoxy--fluorothymidine PET for the diagnosis and grading of brain tumors,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 653–659, 2005.
- T. Saga, H. Kawashima, N. Araki et al., “Evaluation of primary brain tumors with FLT-PET: usefulness and limitations,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 774–780, 2006.
- A. F. Shields, J. R. Grierson, B. M. Dohmen et al., “Imaging proliferation in vivo with [F-18]FLT and positron emission tomography,” Nature Medicine, vol. 4, no. 11, pp. 1334–1336, 1998.
- L. B. Been, A. J. H. Suurmeijer, D. C. P. Cobben, P. L. Jager, H. J. Hoekstra, and P. H. Elsinga, “[18F]FLT-PET in oncology: current status and opportunities,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 31, no. 12, pp. 1659–1672, 2004.
- A. H. Jacobs, A. Thomas, L. W. Kracht et al., “18F-fluoro-L-thymidine and 11C-methylmethionine as markers of increased transport and proliferation in brain tumors,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 46, no. 12, pp. 1948–1958, 2005.
- W. Chen, S. Delaloye, D. H. S. Silverman et al., “Predicting treatment response of malignant gliomas to bevacizumab and irinotecan by imaging proliferation with [18F] fluorothymidine positron emission tomography: a pilot study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 30, pp. 4714–4721, 2007.
- K. Ishiwata, C. Kasahara, K. Hatano, S. I. Ishii, and M. Senda, “Carbon-11 labeled ethionine and propionine as tumor detecting agents,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 115–122, 1997.
- K. Roessler, B. Gatterbauer, A. Becherer et al., “Surgical target selection in cerebral glioma surgery: linking methionine (MET) PET image fusion and neuronavigation,” Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 273–280, 2007.
- K. Torii, N. Tsuyuguchi, J. Kawabe, I. Sunada, M. Hara, and S. Shiomi, “Correlation of amino-acid uptake using methionine PET and histological classifications in various gliomas,” Annals of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 677–683, 2005.
- C. Colavolpe, E. Guedj, P. Metellus et al., “FDG-PET to predict different patterns of progression in multicentric glioblastoma: a case report,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 47–51, 2008.
- K. Herholz, D. Coope, and A. Jackson, “Metabolic and molecular imaging in neuro-oncology,” Lancet Neurology, vol. 6, no. 8, pp. 711–724, 2007.
- C. La Fougère, B. Suchorska, P. Bartenstein, F. W. Kreth, and J. C. Tonn, “Molecular imaging of gliomas with PET: opportunities and limitations,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 806–819, 2011.
- R. Talanow, P. Ruggieri, A. Alexopoulos, D. Lachhwani, and G. Wu, “PET manifestation in different types of pathology in epilepsy,” Clinical Nuclear Medicine, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 670–674, 2009.
- J. H. Phi, J. C. Paeng, H. S. Lee et al., “Evaluation of focal cortical dysplasia and mixed neuronal and glial tumors in pediatric epilepsy patients using 18F-FDG and 11C-methionine pet,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 728–734, 2010.
- N. Kawai, T. Hatakeyama, T. Tamiya, et al., “Is it possible to differentiate between radiation necrosis and recurrence of brain tumors using positron emission tomography?” Progress in Computed Imaging, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 2008.
- N. Kawai, M. Kagawa, T. Hatakeyama et al., “11C-methionine positron emission tomography in brain tumor,” Neurological Surgery, vol. 36, no. 10, pp. 847–859, 2008.
- Y. Okita, M. Kinoshita, T. Goto et al., “11C-methionine uptake correlates with tumor cell density rather than with microvessel density in glioma: a stereotactic image-histology comparison,” NeuroImage, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 2977–2982, 2010.
- Y. Terakawa, N. Tsuyuguchi, Y. Iwai et al., “Diagnostic accuracy of 11C-methionine PET for differentiation of recurrent brain tumors from radiation necrosis after radiotherapy,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 694–699, 2008.
- M. Kinoshita, T. Goto, H. Arita, et al., “Imaging 18F-fluorodeoxy glucose/18C-methionine uptake decoupling for identification of tumor cell infiltration in peritumoral brain edema,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 106, no. 2, pp. 417–425, 2012.