- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 251364, 11 pages
Comparison of Next-Generation Sequencing Systems
NGS Sequencing Department, Beijing Genomics Institute (BGI), 4th Floor, Building 11, Beishan Industrial Zone, Yantian District, Guangdong, Shenzhen 518083, China
Received 11 February 2012; Revised 27 March 2012; Accepted 2 April 2012
Academic Editor: P. J. Oefner
Copyright © 2012 Lin Liu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. M. Church and W. Gilbert, “Genomic sequencing,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 81, no. 7, pp. 1991–1995, 1984.
- F. S. Collins, M. Morgan, and A. Patrinos, “The Human Genome Project: lessons from large-scale biology,” Science, vol. 300, no. 5617, pp. 286–290, 2003.
- J. Berka, Y. J. Chen, J. H. Leamon, et al., “Bead emulsion nucleic acid amplification,” U.S. Patent Application, 2005.
- T. Foehlich, et al., “High-throughput nucleic acid analysis,” U.S. Patent, 2010.
- E. R. Mardis, “The impact of next-generation sequencing technology on genetics,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 133–141, 2008.
- S. M. Huse, J. A. Huber, H. G. Morrison, M. L. Sogin, and D. M. Welch, “Accuracy and quality of massively parallel DNA pyrosequencing,” Genome Biology, vol. 8, no. 7, article R143, 2007.
- “The new GS junior sequencer,” http://www.gsjunior.com/instrument-workflow.php.
- “SOLiD system accuray,” http://www.appliedbiosystems.com/absite/us/en/home/applications-technologies/solid-next-generation-sequencing.html.
- B. A. Flusberg, D. R. Webster, J. H. Lee et al., “Direct detection of DNA methylation during single-molecule, real-time sequencing,” Nature Methods, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 461–465, 2010.
- A. Mellmann, D. Harmsen, C. A. Cummings et al., “Prospective genomic characterization of the german enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O104:H4 outbreak by rapid next generation sequencing technology,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 7, Article ID e22751, 2011.
- H. Rohde, J. Qin, Y. Cui, et al., “Open-source genomic analysis of Shiga-toxin-producing E. coli O104:H4,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 365, no. 8, pp. 718–724, 2011.
- C. S. Chin, J. Sorenson, J. B. Harris et al., “The origin of the Haitian cholera outbreak strain,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 364, no. 1, pp. 33–42, 2011.
- W. Timp, U. M. Mirsaidov, D. Wang, J. Comer, A. Aksimentiev, and G. Timp, “Nanopore sequencing: electrical measurements of the code of life,” IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 281–294, 2010.
- D. W. Deamer and M. Akeson, “Nanopores and nucleic acids: prospects for ultrarapid sequencing,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 147–151, 2000.
- “Performance comparison of whole-genome sequencing systems,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 30, pp. 78–82, 2012.
- D. Branton, D. W. Deamer, A. Marziali, et al., “The potential and challenges of nanopore sequencing,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1146–1153, 2008.
- L. Song, M. R. Hobaugh, C. Shustak, S. Cheley, H. Bayley, and J. E. Gouaux, “Structure of staphylococcal α-hemolysin, a heptameric transmembrane pore,” Science, vol. 274, no. 5294, pp. 1859–1866, 1996.
- J. Clarke, H. C. Wu, L. Jayasinghe, A. Patel, S. Reid, and H. Bayley, “Continuous base identification for single-molecule nanopore DNA sequencing,” Nature Nanotechnology, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 265–270, 2009.
- Website of BGI, http://www.genomics.org.cn.
- O. Skovgaard, M. Bak, A. Løbner-Olesen, et al., “Genome-wide detection of chromosomal rearrangements, indels, and mutations in circular chromosomes by short read sequencing,” Genome Research, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1388–1393, 2011.
- J. A. Reinhardt, D. A. Baltrus, M. T. Nishimura, W. R. Jeck, C. D. Jones, and J. L. Dangl, “De novo assembly using low-coverage short read sequence data from the rice pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv. oryzae,” Genome Research, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 294–305, 2009.
- R. E. Mills, K. Walter, C. Stewart et al., “Mapping copy number variation by population-scale genome sequencing,” Nature, vol. 470, no. 7332, pp. 59–65, 2011.
- A. Gnirke, A. Melnikov, J. Maguire et al., “Solution hybrid selection with ultra-long oligonucleotides for massively parallel targeted sequencing,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 182–189, 2009.
- T. A. Fehniger, T. Wylie, E. Germino et al., “Next-generation sequencing identifies the natural killer cell microRNA transcriptome,” Genome Research, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1590–1604, 2010.
- C. Adamidi, Y. Wang, D. Gruen et al., “De novo assembly and validation of planaria transcriptome by massive parallel sequencing and shotgun proteomics,” Genome Research, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1193–1200, 2011.
- J. C. Marioni, C. E. Mason, S. M. Mane, M. Stephens, and Y. Gilad, “RNA-seq: an assessment of technical reproducibility and comparison with gene expression arrays,” Genome Research, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1509–1517, 2008.
- J. R. Bradford, Y. Hey, T. Yates, Y. Li, S. D. Pepper, and C. J. Miller, “A comparison of massively parallel nucleotide sequencing with oligonucleotide microarrays for global transcription profiling,” BMC Genomics, vol. 11, no. 1, article 282, 2010.
- D. S. Johnson, A. Mortazavi, R. M. Myers, and B. Wold, “Genome-wide mapping of in vivo protein-DNA interactions,” Science, vol. 316, no. 5830, pp. 1497–1502, 2007.
- H. Gu, Z. D. Smith, C. Bock, P. Boyle, A. Gnirke, and A. Meissner, “Preparation of reduced representation bisulfite sequencing libraries for genome-scale DNA methylation profiling,” Nature Protocols, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 468–481, 2011.
- L. Liu, N. Hu, B. Wang, et al., “A brief utilization report on the Illumina HiSeq 2000 sequencer,” Mycology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 169–191, 2011.