- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 285938, 6 pages
Sleep Deprivation Alters Rat Ventral Prostate Morphology, Leading to Glandular Atrophy: A Microscopic Study Contrasted with the Hormonal Assays
1Departamento de Nutrição, Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP-EPM), Rua Marselhesa, 630, Vila Clementino, 04020-620 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Departamento de Psicobiologia, Universidade Federal de São Paulo (UNIFESP-EPM), Rua Napoleão de Barros, 295, Vila Clementino, 04024-002 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
3Departmento de Biología, Instituto de Biociências, Letras e Ciências Exatas (IBILCE), Universidade Estadual Paulista (UNESP), Rua Cristóvão Colombo 2265, Jardim Nazareth, 15054-000 São José do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
4Departamento de Morfologia, Universidade Federal de Goiás, Campus II Samambaia, Caixa Posta 131, 74001-970 Goiânia, GO, Brazil
Received 30 December 2011; Accepted 16 June 2012
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2012 Daniel P. Venâncio et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Rajaratnam and J. Arendt, “Health in a 24-h society,” The Lancet, vol. 358, no. 9286, pp. 999–1005, 2001.
- C. A. Everson, “Sustained sleep deprivation impairs host defense,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 265, no. 5, pp. R1148–R1154, 1993.
- B. D. Palma, A. Gabriel Jr., F. A. B. Colugnati, and S. Tufik, “Effects of sleep deprivation on the development of autoimmune disease in an experimental model of systemic lupus erythematosus,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 291, no. 5, pp. R1527–R1532, 2006.
- F. S. Ruiz, M. L. Andersen, A. Zager, R. C. S. Martins, and S. Tufik, “Sleep deprivation reduces the lymphocyte count in a non-obese mouse model of type 1 diabetes mellitus,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 633–637, 2007.
- A. Zager, M. L. Andersen, F. S. Ruiz, I. B. Antunes, and S. Tufik, “Effects of acute and chronic sleep loss on immune modulation of rats,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 293, no. 1, pp. R504–R509, 2007.
- T. A. Alvarenga, C. L. Patti, M. L. Andersen et al., “Paradoxical sleep deprivation impairs acquisition, consolidation, and retrieval of a discriminative avoidance task in rats,” Neurobiology of Learning and Memory, vol. 90, no. 4, pp. 624–632, 2008.
- R. H. Silva, V. C. Abílio, A. L. Takatsu et al., “Role of hippocampal oxidative stress in memory deficits induced by sleep deprivation in mice,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 895–903, 2004.
- J. L. Tartar, C. P. Ward, J. T. McKenna et al., “Hippocampal synaptic plasticity and spatial learning are impaired in a rat model of sleep fragmentation,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 2739–2748, 2006.
- M. L. Andersen, M. Bignotto, R. B. Machado, and S. Tufik, “Different stress modalities result in distinct steroid hormone responses by male rats,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 791–797, 2004.
- M. L. Andersen, L. A. Papale, and S. Tufik, “Diurnal variation in the genital reflexes and hormone levels induced by paradoxical sleep deprivation and cocaine in male rats,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 215–220, 2004.
- M. L. Andersen, V. D'Almeida, P. J. F. Martins, H. K. M. Antunes, and S. Tufik, “Effects of paradoxical sleep deprivation and cocaine on genital reflexes in hyperlipidic-fed rats,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 758–763, 2005.
- M. L. Andersen, P. J. F. Martins, V. D'Almeida, M. Bignotto, and S. Tufik, “Endocrinological and catecholaminergic alterations during sleep deprivation and recovery in male rats,” Journal of Sleep Research, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 83–90, 2005.
- E. Y. Kim, G. S. Mahmoud, and L. M. Grover, “REM sleep deprivation inhibits LTP in vivo in area CA1 of rat hippocampus,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 388, no. 3, pp. 163–167, 2005.
- C. Mirescu, J. D. Peters, L. Noiman, and E. Gould, “Sleep deprivation inhibits adult neurogenesis in the hippocampus by elevating glucocorticoids,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 50, pp. 19170–19175, 2006.
- R. Wolk and V. K. Somers, “Sleep and the metabolic syndrome,” Experimental Physiology, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. 67–78, 2007.
- F. Singer and B. Zumoff, “Subnormal serum testosterone levels in male internal medicine residents,” Steroids, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 86–89, 1992.
- R. Luboshitzky, L. Lavie, Z. Shen-Orr, and P. Herer, “Altered luteinizing hormone and testosterone secretion in middle-aged obese men with obstructive sleep apnea,” Obesity Research, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 780–786, 2005.
- M. A. Gonçalves, C. Guilleminault, E. Ramos, A. Palha, and T. Paiva, “Erectile dysfunction, obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and nasal CPAP treatment,” Sleep Medicine, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 333–339, 2005.
- D. Margel, M. Cohen, P. M. Livne, and G. Pillar, “Severe, but not mild, obstructive sleep apnea syndrome is associated with erectile dysfunction,” Urology, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 545–549, 2004.
- M. L. Andersen, J. C. Perry, M. C. Battisti et al., “Association of paradoxical sleep deprivation and ecstasy (MDMA) enhances genital reflexes in male rats,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 170, no. 2, pp. 287–292, 2006.
- M. L. Andersen, J. C. Perry, I. B. Antunes, and S. Tufik, “Involvement of nitric oxide in cocaine-induced erections and ejaculations after paradoxical sleep deprivation,” Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 652–657, 2007.
- S. Mathur and P. P. Chattopadhyay, “Effect of sleep deprivation on the physiological status of rat testis,” Andrologia, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 49–51, 1991.
- R. Demura, T. Suzuki, S. Nakamura, H. Komatsu, E. Odagiri, and H. Demura, “Effect of immobilization stress on testosterone and inhibin in male rats,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 210–213, 1989.
- N. Kyprianou and J. T. Isaacs, “Activation of programmed cell death in the rat ventral prostate after castration,” Endocrinology, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 552–562, 1988.
- P. Franken, I. Tobler, and A. A. Borbely, “Sleep homeostasis in the rat: simulation of the time course of EEG slow-wave activity,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 141–144, 1991.
- R. B. Machado, D. C. Hipólide, A. A. Benedito-Silva, and S. Tufik, “Sleep deprivation induced by the modified multiple platform technique: quantification of sleep loss and recovery,” Brain Research, vol. 1004, no. 1-2, pp. 45–51, 2004.
- C. Timo-Iaria, N. Negrào, W. R. Schmidek, K. Hoshino, C. E. L. de Menezes, and T. L. da Rocha, “Phases and states of sleep in the rat,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 1057–1062, 1970.
- E. R. WEIBEL, “Principles and methods for the morphometric study of the lung and other organs,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 12, pp. 131–155, 1963.
- E. Huttunen, T. Romppanen, and H. J. Helminen, “A histoquantitative study on the effects of castration on the rat ventral prostate lobe,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 132, no. 3, pp. 357–370, 1981.
- P. S. L. Vilamaior, S. R. Taboga, and H. F. Carvalho, “Postnatal growth of the ventral prostate in Wistar rats: a stereological and morphometrical study,” Anatomical Record A, vol. 288, no. 8, pp. 885–892, 2006.
- D. C. Hipólide, D. Suchecki, A. P. de Carvalho Pinto, E. Chiconelli Faria, S. Tufik, and J. Luz, “Paradoxical sleep deprivation and sleep recovery: effects on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis activity, energy balance and body composition of rats,” Journal of Neuroendocrinology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 231–238, 2006.
- A. Sgoifo, B. Buwalda, M. Roos, T. Costoli, G. Merati, and P. Meerlo, “Effects of sleep deprivation on cardiac autonomic and pituitary- adrenocortical stress reactivity in rats,” Psychoneuroendocrinology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 197–208, 2006.
- T. E. Orr and D. R. Mann, “Role of glucocorticoids in the stress-induced suppression of testicular steroidogenesis in adult male rats,” Hormones and Behavior, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 350–363, 1992.
- D. B. Hales and A. H. Payne, “Glucocorticoid-mediated repression of P450(SCC) mRNA and de novo synthesis in cultured Leydig cells,” Endocrinology, vol. 124, no. 5, pp. 2099–2104, 1989.
- A. C. Gore, B. Attardi, and D. B. DeFranco, “Glucocorticoid repression of the reproductive axis: effects on GnRH and gonadotropin subunit mRNA levels,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 256, no. 1-2, pp. 40–48, 2006.
- G. R. Cunha, A. A. Donjacour, P. S. Cooke et al., “The endocrinology and developmental biology of the prostate,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 338–362, 1987.
- G. Pointis, M. T. Latreille, and L. Cedard, “Gonado-pituitary relationships in the fetal mouse at various times during sexual differentiation,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 483–488, 1980.
- H. Takeda, I. Lasnitzki, and T. Mizuno, “Analysis of prostatic bud induction by brief androgen treatment in the fetal rat urogenital sinus,” Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 467–470, 1986.
- R. S. Cordeiro, W. R. Scarano, R. M. Góes, and S. R. Taboga, “Tissue alterations in the Guinea pig lateral prostate following antiandrogen flutamide therapy,” Biocell, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 21–30, 2004.
- L. S. Corradi, R. M. Gòes, H. F. Carvalho, and S. R. Taboga, “Inhibition of 5-α-reductase activity induces stromal remodeling and smooth muscle de-differentiation in adult gerbil ventral prostate,” Differentiation, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 198–208, 2004.
- M. R. Gonzalez-Santos, O. V. Gaja-Rodriguez, R. Alonso-Uriarte, I. Sojo-Aranda, and V. Cortes-Gallegos, “Sleep deprivation and adaptive hormonal responses of healthy men,” Archives of Andrology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 203–207, 1989.
- J. Imperato-McGinley, R. S. Sanchez, J. R. Spencer, B. Yee, and E. D. Vaughan, “Comparison of the effects of the 5α-reductase inhibitor finasteride and the antiandrogen flutamide on prostate and genital differentiation: dose- response studies,” Endocrinology, vol. 131, no. 3, pp. 1149–1156, 1992.
- J. D. Wilson, J. E. Griffin, and D. W. Russell, “Steroid 5α-reductase 2 deficiency,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 577–593, 1993.
- A. S. Wright, L. N. Thomas, R. C. Douglas, C. B. Lazier, and R. S. Rittmaster, “Relative potency of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone in preventing atrophy and apoptosis in the prostate of the castrated rat,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 2558–2563, 1996.
- J. T. Isaacs, “Antagonistic effect of androgen on prostatic cell death,” Prostate, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 545–557, 1984.
- D. L. Ribeiro, A. Rafacho, J. R. Bosqueiro, S. R. Taboga, and R. M. Góes, “Cellular changes in the prostatic stroma of glucocorticoid-treated rats,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 332, no. 3, pp. 499–508, 2008.
- P. S. L. Vilamaior, S. R. Taboga, and H. F. Carvalho, “Modulation of smooth muscle cell function: morphological evidence for a contractile to synthetic transition in the rat ventral prostate after castration,” Cell Biology International, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 809–816, 2005.