- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 291038, 15 pages
Potential Stemness of Frozen-Thawed Testicular Biopsies without Sperm in Infertile Men Included into the In Vitro Fertilization Programme
1Reproductive Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Medical Centre Ljubljana, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
2Institute for Anatomy and Cell Biology, School of Medicine, University of Heidelberg, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
3TATAA Biocenter, 41103 Göteborg, Sweden
4Laboratory of Gene Expression, Institute of Biotechnology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, 14220 Prague, Czech Republic
5Blood Transfusion Centre of Slovenia, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
6Institute for Anatomy, School of Medicine, University of Tübingen, 72074 Tübingen, Germany
Received 31 May 2011; Revised 28 October 2011; Accepted 30 October 2011
Academic Editor: Ji Wu
Copyright © 2012 Martin Stimpfel et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Kanatsu-Shinohara, N. Ogonuki, K. Inoue et al., “Long-term proliferation in culture and germline transmission of mouse male germline stem cells,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 612–616, 2003.
- M. Kanatsu-Shinohara, K. Inoue, J. Lee et al., “Generation of pluripotent stem cells from neonatal mouse testis,” Cell, vol. 119, no. 7, pp. 1001–1012, 2004.
- M. Kanatsu-Shinohara, M. Ikawa, M. Takehashi et al., “Production of knockout mice by random or targeted mutagenesis in spermatogonial stem cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 21, pp. 8018–8023, 2006.
- M. Kanatsu-Shinohara, K. Inoue, H. Miki et al., “Clonal origin of germ cell colonies after spermatogonial transplantation in mice,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 68–74, 2006.
- K. Guan, K. Nayernia, L. S. Maier et al., “Pluripotency of spermatogonial stem cells from adult mouse testis,” Nature, vol. 440, no. 7088, pp. 1199–1203, 2006.
- M. Seandel, D. James, S. V. Shmelkov et al., “Generation of functional multipotent adult stem cells from GPR125+ germline progenitors,” Nature, vol. 449, no. 7160, pp. 346–350, 2007.
- F. Izadyar, F. Pau, J. Marh et al., “Generation of multipotent cell lines from a distinct population of male germ line stem cells,” Reproduction, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 771–784, 2008.
- Y. H. Huang, C. C. Chin, N. N. Ho et al., “Pluripotency of mouse spermatogonial stem cells maintained by IGF-1- Dependent pathway,” FASEB Journal, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 2076–2087, 2009.
- K. Ko, N. Tapia, G. Wu et al., “Induction of pluripotency in adult unipotent germline stem cells,” Cell Stem Cell, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 87–96, 2009.
- N. Golestaneh, E. Beauchamp, S. Fallen, M. Kokkinaki, A. Üren, and M. Dym, “Wnt signaling promotes proliferation and stemness regulation of spermatogonial stem/progenitor cells,” Reproduction, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 151–162, 2009.
- S. Conrad, M. Renninger, J. Hennenlotter et al., “Generation of pluripotent stem cells from adult human testis,” Nature, vol. 456, no. 7220, pp. 344–349, 2008.
- N. Kossack, J. Meneses, S. Shefi et al., “Isolation and characterization of pluripotent human spermatogonial stem cell-derived cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 138–149, 2009.
- H. Sadri-Ardekani, S. C. Mizrak, S. K. M. Van Daalen et al., “Propagation of human spermatogonial stem cells in vitro,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 302, no. 19, pp. 2127–2134, 2009.
- J. J. Lim, S. Y. Sung, H. J. Kim et al., “Long-term proliferation and characterization of human spermatogonial stem cells obtained from obstructive and non-obstructive azoospermia under exogenous feeder-free culture conditions,” Cell Proliferation, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 405–417, 2010.
- D. H. K. Lim and E. R. Maher, “Genomic imprinting syndromes and cancer,” Advances in Genetics, vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 145–175, 2010.
- K. Le Blanc and O. Ringdén, “Immunomodulation by mesenchymal stem cells and clinical experience,” Journal of Internal Medicine, vol. 262, no. 5, pp. 509–525, 2007.
- M. Kassem and B. M. Abdallah, “Human bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells: biological characteristics and potential role in therapy of degenerative diseases,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 331, no. 1, pp. 157–163, 2008.
- R. S. N. Tewarie, A. Hurtado, R. H. Bartels, A. Grotenhuis, and M. Oudega, “Stem cell-based therapies for spinal cord injury,” Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 105–114, 2009.
- D. J. Prockop, “Repair of tissues by adult stem/progenitor cells (MSCs): controversies, myths, and changing paradigms,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 939–946, 2009.
- R. Gonzalez, L. Griparic, V. Vargas et al., “A putative mesenchymal stem cells population isolated from adult human testes,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 385, no. 4, pp. 570–575, 2009.
- J. Becerra, L. Santos-Ruiz, J. A. Andrades, and M. Marí-Beffa, “The stem cell niche should be a key issue for cell therapy in regenerative medicine,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 248–255, 2011.
- D. G. De Rooij, “The spermatogonial stem cell niche,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 72, no. 8, pp. 580–585, 2009.
- S. Jang, H. H. Cho, Y. B. Cho, J. S. Park, and H. S. Jeong, “Functional neural differentiation of human adipose tissue-derived stem cells using bFGF and forskolin,” BMC Cell Biology, vol. 11, article 25, 2010.
- N. Lumelsky, O. Blondel, P. Laeng, I. Velasco, R. Ravin, and R. McKay, “Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to insulin-secreting structures similar to pancreatic islets,” Science, vol. 292, no. 5520, pp. 1389–1394, 2001.
- H. Segev, B. Fishman, A. Ziskind, M. Shulman, and J. Itskovitz-Eldor, “Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into insulin-producing clusters,” Stem Cells, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 265–274, 2004.
- P. Blyszczuk, C. Asbrand, A. Rozzo et al., “Embryonic stem cells differentiate into insulin-producing cells without selection of nestin-expressing cells,” International Journal of Developmental Biology, vol. 48, no. 10, pp. 1095–1104, 2004.
- A. Shiroi, M. Yoshikawa, H. Yokota et al., “Identification of insulin-producing cells derived from embryonic stem cells by zinc-chelating dithizone,” Stem Cells, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 284–292, 2002.
- I. J. M. Duijkers, W. N. P. Willemsen, H. M. G. Hollanders, C. J. C. M. Hamilton, C. M. G. Thomas, and H. M. Vemer, “Follicular fluid hormone concentrations after ovarian stimulation using gonadotropin preparations with different FSH/LH ratios. II. Comparison of hMG and recombinant FSH,” International Journal of Fertility and Women's Medicine, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 431–435, 1997.
- A. Velazquez, A. Reyes, J. Chargoy, and A. Rosado, “Amino acid and protein concentrations of human follicular fluid,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 96–100, 1977.
- E. V. Bokal, K. F. Tacer, M. Vrbnjak et al., “Follicular sterol composition in gonadotrophin stimulated women with polycystic ovarian syndrome,” Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, vol. 249, no. 1-2, pp. 92–98, 2006.
- J. Smitz, H. M. Picton, P. Platteau et al., “Principal findings from a multicenter trial investigating the safety of follicular-fluid meiosis-activating sterol for in vitro maturation of human cumulus-enclosed oocytes,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 949–964, 2007.
- U. Ulug, E. Turan, S. B. Tosun, H. F. Erden, and M. Bahceci, “Comparison of preovulatory follicular concentrations of epidermal growth factor, insulin-like growth factor-I, and inhibins A and B in women undergoing assisted conception treatment with gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) agonists and GnRH antagonists,” Fertility and Sterility, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 995–998, 2007.
- A. Salmassi, S. Zorn, L. Mettler, K. Koch, W. Jonat, and A. G. Schmutzler, “Circulating concentration of stem cell factor in serum of stimulated IVF patients,” Reproductive BioMedicine Online, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 140–147, 2011.
- D. Bhartiya, S. Kasiviswanathan, S. K. Unni et al., “Newer insights into premeiotic development of germ cells in adult human testis using Oct-4 as a stem cell marker,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 58, no. 12, pp. 1093–1106, 2010.
- I. Virant-Klun, P. Rožman, B. Cvjeticanin et al., “Parthenogenetic embryo-like structures in the human ovarian surface epithelium cell culture in postmenopausal women with no naturally present follicles and oocytes,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 137–150, 2009.
- M. Kucia, R. Reca, F. R. Campbell et al., “A population of very small embryonic-like (VSEL) CXCR4+ SSEA-1+Oct-4+ stem cells identified in adult bone marrow,” Leukemia, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 857–869, 2006.
- M. Kucia, M. Halasa, M. Wysoczynski et al., “Morphological and molecular characterization of novel population of CXCR4+ SSEA-4+ Oct-4+ very small embryonic-like cells purified from human cord blood—preliminary report,” Leukemia, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 297–303, 2007.
- E. K. Zuba-Surma, M. Kucia, J. Ratajczak, and M. Z. Ratajczak, “Small stem cells in adult tissues: very small embryonic-like stem cells stand up!,” Cytometry Part A, vol. 75, no. 1, pp. 4–13, 2009.
- U. Riekstina, I. Cakstina, V. Parfejevs et al., “Embryonic stem cell marker expression pattern in human mesenchymal stem cells derived from bone marrow, adipose tissue, heart and dermis,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 378–386, 2009.
- O. Trubiani, S. F. Zalzal, R. Paganelli et al., “Expression profile of the embryonic markers nanog, OCT-4, SSEA-1, SSEA-4, and Frizzled-9 receptor in human periodontal ligament mesenchymal stem cells,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 225, no. 1, pp. 123–131, 2010.
- Y. Kuroda, M. Kitada, S. Wakao et al., “Unique multipotent cells in adult human mesenchymal cell populations,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 19, pp. 8639–8643, 2010.