- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 303192, 8 pages
Identification of Women for Referral to Colposcopy by Neural Networks: A Preliminary Study Based on LBC and Molecular Biomarkers
1Department of Cytopathology, Medical School Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens, 12462 Athens, Greece
23rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Medical School Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens, 12462 Athens, Greece
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital of Ioannina, 45500 Ioannina, Greece
4West London Gynaecological Cancer Center, Queen Charlotte's and Chelsea, Hammersmith Hospital, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Imperial Healthcare NHS Trust Division of Surgery and Cancer, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College, London W12 0HS, UK
52nd Department of Pathology, Medical School Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens, 12462 Athens, Greece
Received 5 May 2012; Accepted 30 May 2012
Academic Editor: P. J. Oefner
Copyright © 2012 Petros Karakitsos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- NHS, “Statistical bulletin: cervical screening programme 2005–6,” 2006, http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/.
- E. Paraskevaidis, M. Kyrgiou, and P. Martin-Hirsch, “Have we dismissed ablative treatment too soon in colposcopy practice?” An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 3–4, 2007.
- M. Arbyn, F. Buntinx, M. van Ranst, E. Paraskevaidis, P. Martin-Hirsch, and J. Dillner, “Virologic versus cytologic triage of women with equivocal pap smears: a meta-analysis of the accuracy to detect high-grade intraepithelial neoplasia,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 280–293, 2004.
- M. Arbyn, E. Paraskevaidis, P. Martin-Hirsch, W. Prendiville, and J. Dillner, “Clinical utility of HPV-DNA detection: triage of minor cervical lesions, follow-up of women treated for high-grade CIN: an update of pooled evidence,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 99, no. 3, supplement 1, pp. S7–S11, 2005.
- W. P. Soutter, S. Wisdom, A. K. Brough, and J. M. Monaghan, “Should patients with mild atypia in a cervical smear be referred for colposcopy?” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 70–74, 1986.
- J. A. Giles, A. Deery, J. Crow, and P. Walker, “The accuracy of repeat cytology in women with mildly dyskaryotic smears,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 96, no. 9, pp. 1067–1070, 1989.
- E. M. Walker, J. Dodgson, and I. D. Duncan, “Does mild atypia on a cervical smear warrant further investigation?” Lancet, vol. 2, no. 8508, pp. 672–673, 1986.
- L. Contreras-Melendez, A. Herbert, G. H. Millward-Sadler et al., “Assessment of the accuracy of cytology in women referred for colposcopy and biopsy: the results of a 1 year audit,” Cytopathology, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 267–274, 1992.
- E. Paraskevaidis, A. Kaponis, V. Malamou-Mitsi et al., “The natural history of HPV infection of the uterine cervix. Long-term observational and histological data,” Anticancer Research, vol. 22, no. 2 B, pp. 1177–1181, 2002.
- M. I. Shafi, D. M. Luesley, J. A. Jordan, J. A. Dunn, T. P. Rollason, and M. Yates, “Randomised trial of immediate versus deferred treatment strategies for the management of minor cervical cytological abnormalities,” British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 104, no. 5, pp. 590–594, 1997.
- M. Kyrgiou, G. Koliopoulos, P. Martin-Hirsch et al., “Management of minor cervical cytological abnormalities: a systematic review and a meta-analysis of the literature,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 514–520, 2007.
- G. Koliopoulos, G. Valasoulis, and E. Zilakou, “An update review on HPV testing methods for cervical neoplasia,” Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 123–131, 2009.
- P. Karakitsos, E. B. Stergiou, A. Pouliakis et al., “Potential of the back propagation neural network in the discrimination of benign from malignant gastric cells,” Analytical and Quantitative Cytology and Histology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 245–250, 1996.
- C. Markopoulos, P. Karakitsos, E. Botsoli-Stergiou et al., “Application of the learning vector quantizer to the classification of breast lesions,” Analytical and Quantitative Cytology and Histology, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 453–460, 1997.
- D. Pantazopoulos, P. Karakitsos, A. Iokim-Liossi, A. Pouliakis, E. Botsoli-Stergiou, and C. Dimopoulos, “Back propagation neural network in the discrimination of benign from malignant lower urinary tract lesions,” Journal of Urology, vol. 159, no. 5, pp. 1619–1623, 1998.
- A. M. Marchevsky, J. A. Tsou, and I. A. Laird-Offringa, “Classification of individual lung cancer cell lines based on DNA methylation markers: use of linear discriminant analysis and artificial neural networks,” Journal of Molecular Diagnostics, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 28–36, 2004.
- P. Karakitsos, A. Kyroudes, A. Pouliakis, E. Botsoli Stergiou, Z. Voulgaris, and C. Kittas, “Potential of the learning vector quantizer in the cell classification of endometrial lesions in postmenopausal women,” Analytical and Quantitative Cytology and Histology, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 30–38, 2002.
- P. Karakitsos, B. Cochand-Priollet, A. Pouliakis, P. J. Guillausseau, and A. Ioakim-Liossi, “Learning vector quantizer in the investigation of thyroid lesions,” Analytical and Quantitative Cytology and Histology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 201–208, 1999.
- P. Karakitsos, T. M. Megalopoulou, A. Pouliakis, M. Tzivras, A. Archimandritis, and A. Kyroudes, “Application of discriminant analysis and quantitative cytologic examination to gastric lesions,” Analytical and Quantitative Cytology and Histology, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 314–322, 2004.
- E. S. McHugh, A. P. Shinn, and J. W. Kay, “Discrimination of the notifiable pathogen Gyrodactylus salaris from G. thymalli (Monogenea) using statistical classifiers applied to morphometric data,” Parasitology, vol. 121, no. 3, pp. 315–323, 2000.
- L. Breiman, J. Friedman, C. J. Stone, and R. A. Olshen, Classification and Regression Trees, Wadsworth International Group, 1984.
- P. Karakitsos, A. Pouliakis, C. Meristoudis et al., “A preliminary study of the potential of tree classifiers in triage of high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions,” Analytical and Quantitative Cytology and Histology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 132–140, 2011.
- F. Saiti, A. A. Naini, M. A. Shoorehdeli, and M. Teshnehlab, “Thyroid disease diagnosis based on genetic algorithms using PNN and SVM,” in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering (iCBBE'09), June 2009.
- F. C. Schmitt, A. Longatto-Filho, A. Valent, and P. Vielh, “Molecular techniques in cytopathology practice,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 258–267, 2008.
- M. R. Henry, “The Bethesda system 2001: an update of new terminology for gynecologic cytology,” Clinics in Laboratory Medicine, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 585–603, 2003.
- J. H. F. Smith, “Bethesda 2001,” Cytopathology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 4–10, 2002.
- J. J. Gomez-Roman, C. Echevarria, S. Salas et al., “A type-specific study of human papillomavirus prevalence in cervicovaginal samples in three different Spanish regions,” APMIS, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 2009.
- S. Tyagi, D. P. Bratu, and F. R. Kramer, “Multicolor molecular beacons for allele discrimination,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 1998.
- R. Narimatsu and B. K. Patterson, “High-throughput cervical cancer screening using intracellular human papillomavirus E6 and E7 mRNA quantification by flow cytometry,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 123, no. 5, pp. 716–723, 2005.
- R. Klaes, A. Benner, T. Friedrich et al., “p16INK4a immunohistochemistry improves interobserver agreement in the diagnosis of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia,” American Journal of Surgical Pathology, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 1389–1399, 2002.
- T. Kohonen, Self-Organization and Associative Memory, Springer, 3rd edition, 1988.
- T. Kohonen, J. Hynninen, J. Kangas, J. Laaksonen, and K. Torkkola, “LVQ_PAK the learning vector quantization program package,” 1995, http://www.cis.hut.fi/research/som-research/nnrc-programs.shtml.
- T. Kohonen, J. Kangas, J. Laaksonen, and K. Torkkola, “LVQPAK: a software package for the correct application of learning vector quantization algorithms,” in Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'92), vol. 1, pp. 725–730, June 1992.
- MATLAB web site, http://www.mathworks.com/.
- H. Motulsky, Intuitive Biostatistics, Oxford University Press, 1995.
- G. Valasoulis, I. Tsoumpou, C. Founta et al., “The role of p16INK4a immunostaining in the risk assessment of women with LSIL cytology: a prospective pragmatic study,” European Journal of Gynaecological Oncology, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 150–152, 2011.
- F. Carozzi, S. Cecchini, M. Confortini et al., “Role of P16(INK4A) expression in identifying CIN2 or more severe lesions among HPV-positive patients referred for colposcopy after abnormal cytology,” Cancer, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 119–123, 2006.
- M. Nasioutziki, A. Daniilidis, K. Dinas et al., “The evaluation of p16ink4a immunoexpression/immunostaining and human papillomavirus DNA test in cervical liquid-based cytological samples,” International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 79–85, 2011.
- I. Tsoumpou, G. Valasoulis, C. Founta et al., “High-risk human papillomavirus DNA test and p16INK4a in the triage of LSIL: a prospective diagnostic study,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 49–53, 2011.
- M. Kyrgiou, G. Valasoulis, C. Founta et al., “Clinical management of HPV-related disease of the lower genital tract,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1205, pp. 57–68, 2010.
- M. Kyrgiou, G. Koliopoulos, P. Martin-Hirsch, M. Arbyn, W. Prendiville, and E. Paraskevaidis, “Obstetric outcomes after conservative treatment for intraepithelial or early invasive cervical lesions: systematic review and meta-analysis,” Lancet, vol. 367, no. 9509, pp. 489–498, 2006.
- M. Kyrgiou, I. Tsoumpou, T. Vrekoussis et al., “The up-to-date evidence on colposcopy practice and treatment of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: the cochrane colposcopy & cervical cytopathology collaborative group (C5 group) approach,” Cancer Treatment Reviews, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 516–523, 2006.
- M. Arbyn, M. Kyrgiou, C. Simoens et al., “Perinatal mortality and other severe adverse pregnancy outcomes associated with treatment of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: meta-analysis,” BMJ, vol. 337, article a1284, 2008.
- G. Valasoulis, G. Koliopoulos, C. Founta et al., “Alterations in human papillomavirus-related biomarkers after treatment of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 121, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 2011.