- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 325659, 8 pages
Evolution of Mosquito-Based Arbovirus Surveillance Systems in Australia
1Public Health Virology, Communicable Diseases Unit, Queensland Health Forensic and Scientific Services, 39 Kessels Rd, Coopers Plains, Queensland 4108, Australia
2Discipline of Microbiology and Immunology, School of Biomedical, Biomolecular and Chemical Sciences, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia 6009, Australia
3School of Public Health, Tropical Medicine and Rehabilitative Services, James Cook University, Cairns, Queensland 4870, Australia
Received 2 November 2011; Accepted 7 December 2011
Academic Editor: Bradley J. Blitvich
Copyright © 2012 Andrew F. van den Hurk et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. C. Russell and D. E. Dwyer, “Arboviruses associated with human disease in Australia,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 2, no. 14, pp. 1693–1704, 2000.
- G. J. Fitzsimmons, P. Wright, C. A. Johansen, P. I. Whelan, and National Arbovirus and Malaria Advisory Committee, “Arboviral diseases and malaria in Australia, 2007/08: annual report of the National Arbovirus and Malaria Advisory Committee,” Communicable Diseases Intelligence, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 155–169, 2009.
- J. N. Hanna and S. A. Ritchie, “Outbreaks of dengue in north Queensland, 1990–2008,” Communicable Diseases Intelligence, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 32–33, 2009.
- J. N. Hanna, S. A. Ritchie, D. A. Phillips et al., “An outbreak of Japanese encephalitis in the Torres Strait, Australia, 1995,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 165, no. 5, pp. 256–260, 1996.
- C. C. Jansen, C. E. Webb, J. A. Northill, S. A. Ritchie, R. C. Russell, and A. F. van den Hurk, “Vector competence of Australian mosquito species for a North American strain of West Nile virus,” Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 805–811, 2008.
- M. J. Turell and B. H. Kay, “Susceptibility of selected strains of Australian mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) to rift valley fever virus,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 132–135, 1998.
- A. F. van den Hurk, S. Hall-Mendelin, A. T. Pyke, G. A. Smith, and J. S. Mackenzie, “Vector competence of Australian mosquitoes for chikungunya virus,” Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 489–495, 2010.
- T. D. S. George, “A sentinel herd system for the study of arbovirus infections in Australia and Papua-New Guinea,” Veterinary Science Communications, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 39–51, 1980.
- J. Campbell and D. E. Hore, “Isolation of Murray Valley encephalitis virus from sentinel chickens,” Australian Veterinary Journal, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 1975.
- S. Doggett, J. Clancy, J. Haniotis, et al., The New South Wales Arbovirus Surveillance and Mosquito Monitoring Program 2010-2011 Annual Report, Department of Medical Entomology, ICPMR, Westmead Hospital, Westmead, Australia, 2011.
- C. Johansen, S. McFall, S. Wong, et al., The University of Western Australia Arbovirus Surveillance and Research Laboratory Annual Report Summary: 2009-2010, University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, 2010.
- P. I. Whelan and G. P. Gard, “Arbovirus surveillance in the Northern Territory 1981,” Communicable Diseases Intelligence, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 2–3, 1981.
- J. Shield, J. Hanna, and D. Phillips, “Reappearance of the Japanese encephalitis virus in the Torres Strait, 1996,” Communicable Diseases Intelligence, vol. 20, no. 8, p. 191, 1996.
- D. Rohe and R. P. Fall, “A miniature battery powered CO2 baited light trap for mosquito borne encephalitis surveillance,” Bulletin of the Society for Vector Ecology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 24–27, 1979.
- W. D. Sudia and R. W. Chamberlain, “Battery-operated light trap, an improved model,” Mosquito News, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 126–129, 1962.
- A. K. Broom, R. A. Hall, C. A. Johansen et al., “Identification of Australian arboviruses in inoculated cell cultures using monoclonal antibodies in ELISA,” Pathology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 286–288, 1998.
- B. Forghani and S. Hagens, “Diagnosis of viral infections by antigen detection,” in Diagnostic Procedures for Viral, Rickettsial and Chlamydial Infections, E. H. Lennette, D. A. Lennette, and E. T. Lennette, Eds., pp. 79–96, American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA, 7th edition, 1995.
- S. A. Ritchie, I. D. Fanning, D. A. Phillips, H. A. Standfast, D. McGinn, and B. H. Kay, “Ross River virus in mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae) during the 1994 epidemic around Brisbane, Australia,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 156–159, 1997.
- S. A. Ritchie, D. Phillips, A. Broom, J. Mackenzie, M. Poidinger, and A. van den Hurk, “Isolation of Japanese encephalitis virus from Culex annulirostris in Australia,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 80–84, 1997.
- D. L. Kline, “Evaluation of various models of propane-powered mosquito traps,” Journal of Vector Ecology, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2002.
- C. A. Johansen, B. L. Montgomery, J. S. Mackenzie, and S. A. Ritchie, “Efficacies of the MosquitoMagnet™ and counterflow geometry traps in north Queensland, Australia,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 265–270, 2003.
- M. J. Bangs, R. Tan, E. Listiyaningsih, B. H. Kay, and K. R. Porter, “Detection of dengue viral RNA in Aedes aegypti (diptera: culicidae) exposed to sticky lures using reverse-transcriptase polymerase chain reaction,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 720–724, 2001.
- L. D. Kramer, R. E. Chiles, T. Do, and H. M. Fallah, “Detection of St. Louis encephalitis and western equine encephalomyelitis RNA in mosquitoes tested without maintenance of a cold chain,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 213–215, 2001.
- M. J. Turell, A. R. Spring, M. K. Miller, and C. E. Cannon, “Effect of holding conditions on the detection of West Nile viral RNA by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction from mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) pools,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 2002.
- C. A. Johansen, R. A. Hall, A. F. van den Hurk, S. A. Ritchie, and J. S. Mackenzie, “Detection and stability of Japanese encephalitis virus RNA and virus viability in dead infected mosquitoes under different storage conditions,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 656–661, 2002.
- S. A. Ritchie, A. T. Pyke, G. A. Smith et al., “Field evaluation of a sentinel mosquito (Diptera: Culicidae) trap system to detect Japanese encephalitis in remote Australia,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 249–252, 2003.
- M. J. Bangs, R. Pudiantari, and Y. R. Gionar, “Persistence of dengue virus RNA in dried Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) exposed to natural tropical conditions,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 163–167, 2007.
- S. A. Ritchie, S. Long, G. Smith, A. Pyke, and T. B. Knox, “Entomological investigations in a focus of dengue transmission in Cairns, Queensland, Australia, by using the sticky ovitraps,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2004.
- S. A. Ritchie, A. F. van den Hurk, P. Zborowski et al., “Operational trials of remote mosquito trap systems for Japanese encephalitis virus surveillance in the Torres Strait, Australia,” Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 497–506, 2007.
- A. T. Pyke, I. L. Smith, A. F. van den Hurk et al., “Detection of Australasian Flavivirus encephalitic viruses using rapid fluorogenic TaqMan RT-PCR assays,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 117, no. 2, pp. 161–167, 2004.
- A. F. van den Hurk, B. L. Montgomery, P. Zborowski, N. W. Beebe, R. D. Cooper, and S. A. Ritchie, “Does 1-octen-3-ol enhance trap collections of Japanese encephalitis virus mosquito vectors in northern Australia?” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 15–21, 2006.
- S. L. Doggett, M. J. Klowden, and R. C. Russell, “Are vector competence experiments competent vector experiments?” Arbovirus Research in Australia, vol. 8, pp. 126–130, 2001.
- A. F. van den Hurk, P. H. Johnson, S. Hall-Mendelin et al., “Expectoration of flaviviruses during sugar feeding by mosquitoes (Diptera: Culicidae),” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 845–850, 2007.
- S. Hall-Mendelin, S. A. Ritchie, C. A. Johansen et al., “Exploiting mosquito sugar feeding to detect mosquito-borne pathogens,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 25, pp. 11255–11259, 2010.
- P. E. Lusby, A. L. Coombes, and J. M. Wilkinson, “Bactericidal activity of different honeys against pathogenic bacteria,” Archives of Medical Research, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 464–467, 2005.
- R. J. Weston, L. K. Brocklebank, and Y. Lu, “Identification and quantitative levels of antibacterial components of some New Zealand honeys,” Food Chemistry, vol. 70, no. 4, pp. 427–435, 2000.
- S. A. Ritchie, P. Zborowski, D. Banks, I. Walsh, and J. Davis, “Efficacy of novel updraft traps for collection of mosquitoes in Cairns, Australia,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 520–527, 2008.
- R. A. Hall, A. K. Broom, A. C. Hartnett, M. J. Howard, and J. S. Mackenzie, “Immunodominant epitopes on the NS1 proteins of MVE and KUN viruses serve as targets for a blocking ELISA to detect virus-specific antibodies in sentinel animal serum,” Journal of Virological Methods, vol. 51, no. 2-3, pp. 201–210, 1995.
- C. E. Schreck, H. K. Gouck, and K. H. Posey, “An experimental Plexiglas mosquito trap utilizing carbon dioxide,” Mosquito News, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 641–645, 1970.
- Y. Saitoh, J. Hattori, S. Chinone et al., “Yeast-generated CO2 as a convenient source of carbon dioxide for adult mosquito sampling,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 261–264, 2004.
- R. C. Smallegange, W. H. Schmied, K. J. Van Roey et al., “Sugar-fermenting yeast as an organic source of carbon dioxide to attract the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae,” Malaria Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, article no. 292, 2010.
- D. L. Kline, “Traps and trapping techniques for adult mosquito control,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 490–496, 2006.
- D. L. Kline, “Semiochemicals, traps/targets and mass trapping technology for mosquito management,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 23, supplement 2, pp. 241–251, 2007.
- D. F. Hoel, D. L. Kline, S. A. Allan, and A. Grant, “Evaluation of carbon dioxide, 1-octen-3-ol, and lactic acid as baits in Mosquito Magnet Pro traps for Aedes albopictus in north central Florida,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2007.
- F. O. Okumu, G. F. Killeen, S. Ogoma et al., “Development and field evaluation of a synthetic mosquito lure that is more attractive than humans,” PloS One, vol. 5, no. 1, p. e8951, 2010.
- J. A. Kemme, P. H. Van Essen, S. A. Ritchie, and B. H. Kay, “Response of mosquitoes to carbon dioxide and 1-octen-3-ol in southeast Queensland, Australia,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 431–435, 1993.
- S. A. Ritchie, P. H. van Essen, J. A. Kemme, B. H. Kay, and D. Allaway, “Response of biting midges (Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) to carbon dioxide, octenol, and light in southeastern Queensland, Australia,” Journal of Medical Entomology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 645–648, 1994.
- G. M. Beavers, H. A. Hanafi, and E. A. Dykstra, “Evaluation of 1-octen-3-ol and carbon dioxide as attractants for Phlebotomus papatasi (Diptera: Psychodidae) in southern Egypt,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 130–133, 2004.
- R. G. Evans, “Laboratory evaluation of the irritancy of bendiocarb, lambda-cyhalothrin and DDT to Anopheles gambiae,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 285–293, 1993.
- W. H. White, C. M. McCoy, J. A. Meyer et al., “Knockdown and mortality comparisons among spinosad-, imidacloprid-, and methomyl-containing baits against susceptible Musca domestica (Diptera: Muscidae) under laboratory conditions,” Journal of Economic Entomology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 155–163, 2007.
- L. P. Rapley, R. C. Russell, B. L. Montgomery, and S. A. Ritchie, “The effects of sustained release metofluthrin on the biting, movement, and mortality of Aedes aegypti in a domestic setting,” American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 94–99, 2009.
- F. S. Teles, “Biosensors and rapid diagnostic tests on the frontier between analytical and clinical chemistry for biomolecular diagnosis of dengue disease: a review,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 687, no. 1, pp. 28–42, 2011.
- M. Kircher and J. Kelso, “High-throughput DNA sequencing—concepts and limitations,” BioEssays, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 524–536, 2010.
- D. H. Huson, A. F. Auch, J. Qi, and S. C. Schuster, “MEGAN analysis of metagenomic data,” Genome Research, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 377–386, 2007.
- T. W. Scott, S. A. Wright, B. F. Eldridge, and D. A. Brown, “Cost effectiveness of three arbovirus surveillance methods in northern California,” Journal of the American Mosquito Control Association, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 118–123, 2001.
- L. Bonetta, “Whole-Genome sequencing breaks the cost barrier,” Cell, vol. 141, no. 6, pp. 917–919, 2010.
- K.-H. Kim and J.-W. Bae, “Amplification methods bias metagenomic libraries of uncultured single-stranded and double-stranded DNA viruses,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77, no. 21, pp. 7663–7668, 2011.
- E. F. Donaldson, A. N. Haskew, J. E. Gates, J. Huynh, C. J. Moore, and M. B. Frieman, “Metagenomic analysis of the viromes of three North American bat species: viral diversity among different bat species that share a common habitat,” Journal of Virology, vol. 84, no. 24, pp. 13004–13018, 2010.
- L. Li, J. G. Victoria, C. Wang et al., “Bat guano virome: predominance of dietary viruses from insects and plants plus novel mammalian viruses,” Journal of Virology, vol. 84, no. 14, pp. 6955–6965, 2010.
- E.-J. Park, K.-H. Kim, G. C. J. Abell, M.-S. Kim, S. W. Roh, and J.-W. Bae, “Metagenomic analysis of the viral communities in fermented foods,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 77, no. 4, pp. 1284–1291, 2011.
- D. Bogaert, B. Keijser, S. Huse et al., “Variability and diversity of nasopharyngeal microbiota in children: a metagenomic analysis,” PLoS One, vol. 6, no. 2, Article ID e17035, 2011.
- A. L. Greninger, E. C. Chen, T. Sittler et al., “A metagenomic analysis of pandemic influenza a (2009 H1N1) infection in patients from North America,” PLoS One, vol. 5, no. 10, Article ID e13381, 2010.
- S. Nakamura, C. S. Yang, N. Sakon et al., “Direct metagenomic detection of viral pathogens in nasal and fecal specimens using an unbiased high-throughput sequencing approach,” PLoS One, vol. 4, no. 1, Article ID e4219, 2009.
- M. C. Schatz, B. Langmead, and S. L. Salzberg, “Cloud computing and the DNA data race,” Nature Biotechnology, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 691–693, 2010.