- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 406435, 8 pages
Small Interference RNA Targeting TLR4 Gene Effectively Attenuates Pulmonary Inflammation in a Rat Model
Department of Anesthesiology, Eastern Hepatobiliary Hospital, No. 225 Road Changhai, Shanghai 200433, China
Received 12 July 2011; Revised 17 October 2011; Accepted 28 October 2011
Academic Editor: Masamitsu Yamaguchi
Copyright © 2012 Feixiang Wu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Pontes-Arruda, S. DeMichele, A. Seth, and P. Singer, “The use of an inflammation-modulating diet in patients with acute lung injury or acute respiratory distress syndrome: a meta-analysis of outcome data,” Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 596–605, 2008.
- J. S. Wu, L. Sheng, S. H. Wang et al., “The impact of clinical risk factors in the conversion from acute lung injury to acute respiratory distress syndrome in severe multiple trauma patients,” Journal of International Medical Research, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 579–586, 2008.
- R. C. Gillis, L. J. Weireter Jr., R. C. Britt, F. J. Cole Jr., J. N. Collins, and L. D. Britt, “Lung protective ventilation strategies: have we applied them in trauma patients at risk for acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome?” American Surgeon, vol. 73, no. 4, pp. 347–350, 2007.
- M. Karabeyoglu, B. Kocer, U. Ozel et al., “The protective effect of ethyl pyruvate on lung injury after burn in rats,” Saudi Medical Journal, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 1489–1492, 2007.
- K. L. Brigham and B. Meyrick, “Endotoxin and lung injury,” American Review of Respiratory Disease, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 913–927, 1986.
- F. Chabot, J. A. Mitchell, J. M. C. Gutteridge, and T. W. Evans, “Reactive oxygen species in acute lung injury,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 745–757, 1998.
- K. Kubo, T. Amari, T. Kaneki et al., “A 21-aminosteroid, U-74006F, attenuates endotoxin-induced lung injury in awake sheep,” Respirology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 167–172, 1999.
- R. Rabinovici, P. J. Bugelski, K. M. Esser, L. M. Hillegass, J. Vernick, and G. Feuerstein, “ARDS-like lung injury produced by endotoxin in platelet-activating factor-primed rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 1791–1802, 1993.
- K. Hoshino, O. Takeuchi, T. Kawai et al., “Cutting edge: toll-like receptor 4 (Tlr4)-deficient mice are hyporesponsive to lipopolysaccharide evidence for Tlr4 as the Lps gene product,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 162, no. 7, pp. 3749–3752, 1999.
- A. Poltorak, X. He, I. Smirnova et al., “Defective LPS signaling in C3H/HeJ and C57BL/10ScCr mice: mutations in Tlr4 gene,” Science, vol. 282, no. 5396, pp. 2085–2088, 1998.
- E. Lorenz, M. Jones, C. Wohlford-Lenane et al., “Genes other than Tlr4 are involved in the response to inhaled LPS,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 281, no. 5, pp. L1106–L1114, 2001.
- S. Jeyaseelan, H. W. Chu, S. K. Young, M. W. Freeman, and G. S. Worthen, “Distinct roles of pattern recognition receptors CD14 and Toll-like receptor 4 in acute lung injury,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 1754–1763, 2005.
- M. Schlee, V. Hornung, and G. Hartmann, “siRNA and isRNA: two edges of one sword,” Molecular Therapy, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 463–470, 2006.
- J. Moffat and D. M. Sabatini, “Building mammalian signalling pathways with RNAi screens,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 177–187, 2006.
- K. Okamura, W. J. Chung, and E. C. Lai, “The long and short of inverted repeat genes in animals: microRNAs, mirtrons and hairpin RNAs,” Cell Cycle, vol. 7, no. 18, pp. 2840–2845, 2008.
- K. Okamura and E. C. Lai, “Endogenous small interfering RNAs in animals,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 673–678, 2008.
- S. J. Reich, J. Fosnot, A. Kuroki et al., “Small interfering RNA (siRNA) targeting VEGF effectively inhibits ocular neovascularization in mouse model,” Molecular Vision, vol. 9, pp. 210–216, 2003.
- D. Jiang, J. Liang, Y. Li, and P. W. Noble, “The role of Toll-like receptors in non-infectious lung injury,” Cell Research, vol. 16, no. 8, pp. 693–701, 2006.
- Y. Imai, K. Kuba, G. G. Neely et al., “Identification of oxidative stress and Toll-like receptor 4 signaling as a key pathway of acute lung injury,” Cell, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 235–249, 2008.
- F. X. Wu, J. J. Bian, X. R. Miao et al., “Intrathecal siRNA against toll-like receptor 4 reduces nociception in a rat model of neuropathic pain,” International Journal of Medical Sciences, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 251–259, 2010.
- S. E. Kim, T. T. T. Thuy, J. H. Lee et al., “Simvastatin inhibits induction of matrix metalloproteinase-9 in rat alveolar macrophages exposed to cigarette smoke extract,” Experimental and Molecular Medicine, vol. 41, no. 4, pp. 277–287, 2009.
- J. A. Nick, S. K. Young, P. G. Arndt et al., “Selective suppression of neutrophil accumulation in ongoing pulmonary inflammation by systemic inhibition of p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 169, no. 9, pp. 5260–5269, 2002.
- G. Andonegul, S. M. Goyert, and P. Kubes, “Lipopolysaccharide-induced leukocyte-endothelial cell interactions: a role for CD14 versus toll-like receptor 4 within microvessels,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 169, no. 4, pp. 2111–2119, 2002.
- V. V. Sumbayev, “LPS-induced Toll-like receptor 4 signalling triggers cross-talk of apoptosis signal-regulating kinase 1 (ASK1) and HIF-1α protein,” FEBS Letters, vol. 582, no. 2, pp. 319–326, 2008.
- T. R. Martin and M. M. Wurfel, “A TRIFfic perspective on acute lung injury,” Cell, vol. 133, no. 2, pp. 208–210, 2008.
- A. Bhattacharyya, S. K. Pathak, A. Banerjee, S. Basu, and M. Kundu, “Tlr4-dependent NF-κB activation and mitogen- and stress-activated protein kinase 1-triggered phosphorylation events are central to Helicobacter pylori peptidyl prolyl cis-, trans-isomerase (HP0175)-mediated induction of IL-6 release from macrophages,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 177, no. 11, pp. 7950–7958, 2006.
- M. A. Chase, D. S. Wheeler, K. M. Lierl, V. S. Hughes, H. R. Wong, and K. Page, “Hsp72 induces inflammation and regulates cytokine production in airway epithelium through a Tlr4- and NF-κB-dependent mechanism,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 179, no. 9, pp. 6318–6324, 2007.
- M. Yu, D. Shao, J. Yang, S. Feng, and J. Xu, “Ketamine suppresses intestinal Tlr4 expression and NF-κB activity in lipopolysaccharide-treated rats,” Croatian Medical Journal, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 825–831, 2006.
- C. W. Wieland, S. Florquin, N. A. Maris et al., “The MyD88-dependent, but not the MyD88-independent, pathway of Tlr4 signaling is important in clearing nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae from the mouse lung,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 175, no. 9, pp. 6042–6049, 2005.
- Y. S. Lee, J. S. Park, J. H. Kim et al., “Smad6-specific recruitment of Smurf E3 ligases mediates TGF-β1-induced degradation of MyD88 in Tlr4 signalling,” Nature Communications, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 460–469, 2011.
- O. Takeuchi and S. Akira, “Toll-like receptors; their physiological role and signal transduction system,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 625–635, 2001.
- K. Hoshino, I. Sasaki, T. Sugiyama et al., “Critical role of IκB kinaseain TLR7/9-induced type I IFN production by conventional dendritic cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 184, no. 7, pp. 3341–3345, 2010.
- C. Gille, B. Spring, W. Bernhard et al., “Differential effect of surfactant and its saturated phosphatidylcholines on human blood macrophages,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 307–317, 2007.
- J. Fan, Y. Li, Y. Vodovotz, T. R. Billiar, and M. A. Wilson, “Hemorrhagic shock-activated neutrophils augment Tlr4 signaling-induced TLR2 upregulation in alveolar macrophages: role in hemorrhage-primed lung inflammation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 290, no. 4, pp. L738–L746, 2006.
- S. Gupta, R. A. Schoer, J. E. Egan, G. J. Hannon, and V. Mittal, “Inducible, reversible, and stable RNA interference in mammalian cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 1927–1932, 2004.