- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 428503, 10 pages
Thin-Layer Hydroxyapatite Deposition on a Nanofiber Surface Stimulates Mesenchymal Stem Cell Proliferation and Their Differentiation into Osteoblasts
1Laboratory of Tissue Engineering, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Academy of Science of the Czech Republic, Videnska 1083,142 40 Prague, Czech Republic
2Department of Biophysics, 2nd Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, V Uvalu 84, 150 06 Prague 5, Czech Republic
3Department of Natural Sciences, Czech Technical University in Prague, Zikova 1905/4, 166 36 Prague 6, Czech Republic
4Department of Mechanics, Faculty of Applied Sciences, University of West Bohemia, Univerzitni 8, 30614 Pilsen, Czech Republic
5Department of Nonwoven Textiles, Faculty of Textile Engineering, Technical University of Liberec, Liberec 461 17, Czech Republic
6Institute of Pathology, First Faculty of Medicine, General Teaching Hospital, Charles University, Studnickova 2, 128 00 Prague, Czech Republic
7Department of Medicine and Humanities, Faculty of Biomedical Engineering, Czech Technical University in Prague, Sítná 3105, 272 01 Kladno, Czech Republic
Received 15 June 2011; Accepted 19 October 2011
Academic Editor: Ji Wu
Copyright © 2012 Eva Prosecká et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. P. Bruder, N. Jaiswal, and S. E. Haynesworth, “Growth kinetics, self-renewal, and the osteogenic potential of purified human mesenchymal stem cells during extensive subcultivation and following cryopreservation,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 278–294, 1997.
- J. Ringe, C. Kaps, G. R. Burmester, and M. Sittinger, “Stem cells for regenerative medicine: advances in the engineering of tissues and organs,” Naturwissenschaften, vol. 89, no. 8, pp. 338–351, 2002.
- A. I. Caplan, “Mesenchymal stem cells,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 641–650, 1991.
- H. Peng and J. Huard, “Muscle-derived stem cells for musculoskeletal tissue regeneration and repair,” Transplant Immunology, vol. 12, no. 3-4, pp. 311–319, 2004.
- Z. M. Huang, Y. Z. Zhang, S. Ramakrishna, and C. T. Lim, “Electrospinning and mechanical characterization of gelatin nanofibers,” Polymer, vol. 45, no. 15, pp. 5361–5368, 2004.
- Y. Sakaguchi, I. Sekiya, K. Yagishita, and T. Muneta, “Comparison of human stem cells derived from various mesenchymal tissues: superiority of synovium as a cell source,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 52, no. 8, pp. 2521–2529, 2005.
- J. Ringe, I. Leinhase, S. Stich et al., “Human mastoid periosteum-derived stem cells: promising candidates for skeletal tissue engineering,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 2, no. 2-3, pp. 136–146, 2008.
- P. Kasten, J. Vogel, F. Geiger, P. Niemeyer, R. Luginbühl, and K. Szalay, “The effect of platelet-rich plasma on healing in critical-size long-bone defects,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 29, pp. 3983–3992, 2008.
- C. Weinand, I. Pomerantseva, C. M. Neville et al., “Hydrogel-β-TCP scaffolds and stem cells for tissue engineering bone,” Bone, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 555–563, 2006.
- Y.-F. Chou, P. A. Zuk, T.-L. Chang, P. Benhaim, and B. M. Wu, “Adipose-derived stem cells and BMP2: Part 1. BMP2-treated adipose-derived stem cells do not improve repair of segmental femoral defects,” Connective Tissue Research, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 109–118, 2011.
- P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, P. Ashjian et al., “Human adipose tissue is a source of multipotent stem cells,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 4279–4295, 2002.
- N. Jaiswal, S. E. Haynesworth, A. I. Caplan, and S. P. Bruder, “Osteogenic differentiation of purified, culture-expanded human mesenchymal stem cells in vitro,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 295–312, 1997.
- M. W. Long, J. A. Robinson, E. A. Ashcraft, and K. G. Mann, “Regulation of human bone marrow-derived osteoprogenitor cells by osteogenic growth factors,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 881–887, 1995.
- M. W. Long, “Osteogenesis and bone-marrow-derived cells,” Blood Cells, Molecules, and Diseases, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 677–690, 2001.
- V. Karageorgiou and D. Kaplan, “Porosity of 3D biomaterial scaffolds and osteogenesis,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 27, pp. 5474–5491, 2005.
- Y. Kuboki, H. Takita, D. Kobayashi et al., “BMP-induced osteogenesis on the surface of hydroxyapatite with geometrically feasible and nonfeasible structures: topology of osteogenesis,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 190–199, 1998.
- C. P. A. T. Klein, P. Patka, H. B. M. Van der Lubbe, J. G. C. Wolke, and K. De Groot, “Plasma-sprayed coatings of tetracalciumphosphate, hydroxyl-apatite, and α-TCP on titanium alloy: an interface study,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 53–65, 1991.
- P. Ducheyne, J. Beight, J. Cuckler, B. Evans, and S. Radin, “Effect of calcium phosphate coating characteristics on early post-operative bone tissue ingrowth,” Biomaterials, vol. 11, no. 8, pp. 531–540, 1990.
- C. L. Tisdel, V. M. Goldberg, J. A. Parr, J. S. Bensusan, L. S. Staikoff, and S. Stevenson, “The influence of a hydroxyapatite and tricalcium-phosphate coating on bone growth into titanium fiber-metal implants,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery - Series A, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 159–171, 1994.
- Z. Zyman, J. Weng, X. Liu, X. Li, and X. Zhang, “Phase and structural changes in hydroxyapatite coatings under heat treatment,” Biomaterials, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 151–155, 1994.
- Y. C. Yang and E. Chang, “Influence of residual stress on bonding strength and fracture of plasma-sprayed hydroxyapatite coatings on Ti-6Al-4V substrate,” Biomaterials, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 1827–1836, 2001.
- M. Yoshinari, Y. Ohtsuka, and T. Derand, “Thin hydroxyapatite coating produced by the ion beam dynamic mixing method,” Biomaterials, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 529–535, 1994.
- J. M. Choi, H. E. Kim, and I. S. Lee, “Ion-beam-assisted deposition (IBAD) of hydroxyapatite coating layer on Ti-based metal substrate,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 469–473, 2000.
- Q. Bao, C. Chen, D. Wang, Q. Ji, and T. Lei, “Pulsed laser deposition and its current research status in preparing hydroxyapatite thin films,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 252, no. 5, pp. 1538–1544, 2005.
- O. Blind, L. H. Klein, B. Dailey, and L. Jordan, “Characterization of hydroxyapatite films obtained by pulsed-laser deposition on Ti and Ti-6AL-4v substrates,” Dental Materials, vol. 21, no. 11, pp. 1017–1024, 2005.
- D. Cui, “Advances and prospects on biomolecules functionalized carbon nanotubes,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 7, no. 4-5, pp. 1298–1314, 2007.
- B. Pan, D. Cui, P. Xu et al., “Synthesis and characterization of polyamidoamine dendrimer-coated multi-walled carbon nanotubes and their application in gene delivery systems,” Nanotechnology, vol. 20, no. 12, Article ID 125101, 2009.
- Z. Wang, J. Ruan, and D. Cui, “Advances and prospect of nanotechnology in stem cells,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 593–605, 2009.
- T. J. Sill and H. A. von Recum, “Electrospinning: Applications in drug delivery and tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 29, no. 13, pp. 1989–2006, 2008.
- S. Agarwal, J. H. Wendorff, and A. Greiner, “Use of electrospinning technique for biomedical applications,” Polymer, vol. 49, no. 26, pp. 5603–5621, 2008.
- N. Bhardwaj and S. C. Kundu, “Electrospinning: a fascinating fiber fabrication technique,” Biotechnology Advances, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 325–347, 2010.
- C. Wenguo, et al., “Electrospun nanofibrous materials for tissue engineering and drug delivery,” Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, vol. 11, Article ID 014108, 2010.
- Y. Lu, H. Jiang, K. Tu, and L. Wang, “Mild immobilization of diverse macromolecular bioactive agents onto multifunctional fibrous membranes prepared by coaxial electrospinning,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 1562–1574, 2009.
- H. Jia, G. Zhu, B. Vugrinovich, W. Kataphinan, D. H. Reneker, and P. Wang, “Enzyme-carrying polymeric nanofibers prepared via electrospinning for use as unique biocatalysts,” Biotechnology Progress, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 1027–1032, 2002.
- J. Zhang, Y. Duan, D. Wei et al., “Co-electrospun fibrous scaffold-adsorbed DNA for substrate-mediated gene delivery,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 212–220, 2011.
- N. Bölgen, I. Vargel, P. Korkusuz, Y. Z. Menceloǧlu, and E. Pişkin, “In vivo performance of antibiotic embedded electrospun PCL membranes for prevention of abdominal adhesions,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 81, no. 2, pp. 530–543, 2007.
- K. Kim, M. Yu, X. Zong et al., “Control of degradation rate and hydrophilicity in electrospun non-woven poly(D,L-lactide) nanofiber scaffolds for biomedical applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 27, pp. 4977–4985, 2003.
- E. R. Kenawy, G. L. Bowlin, K. Mansfield et al., “Release of tetracycline hydrochloride from electrospun poly(ethylene-co-vinylacetate), poly(lactic acid), and a blend,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 81, no. 1-2, pp. 57–64, 2002.
- G. Verreck, I. Chun, J. Rosenblatt et al., “Incorporation of drugs in an amorphous state into electrospun nanofibers composed of a water-insoluble, nonbiodegradable polymer,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 349–360, 2003.
- C. Y. Xu, R. Inai, M. Kotaki, and S. Ramakrishna, “Aligned biodegradable nanofibrous structure: a potential scaffold for blood vessel engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 877–886, 2004.
- X. Xu, X. Chen, X. Xu et al., “BCNU-loaded PEG-PLLA ultrafine fibers and their in vitro antitumor activity against Glioma C6 cells,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 307–316, 2006.
- J. Xie and C. H. Wang, “Electrospun micro- and nanofibers for sustained delivery of paclitaxel to treat C6 glioma in vitro,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1817–1826, 2006.
- S. Y. Chew, J. Wen, E. K. F. Yim, and K. W. Leong, “Sustained release of proteins from electrospun biodegradable fibers,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 2017–2024, 2005.
- H. Nie, W. S. Beng, Y. C. Fu, and C. H. Wang, “Three-dimensional fibrous PLGA/HAp composite scaffold for BMP-2 delivery,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 223–234, 2008.
- J. Zeng, A. Aigner, F. Czubayko, T. Kissel, J. H. Wendorff, and A. Greiner, “Poly(vinyl alcohol) nanofibers by electrospinning as a protein delivery system and the retardation of enzyme release by additional polymer coatings,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1484–1488, 2005.
- A. Saraf, L. S. Baggett, R. M. Raphael, F. K. Kasper, and A. G. Mikos, “Regulated non-viral gene delivery from coaxial electrospun fiber mesh scaffolds,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 143, no. 1, pp. 95–103, 2010.
- D. Liang, Y. K. Luu, K. Kim, B. S. Hsiao, M. Hadjiargyrou, and B. Chu, “In vitro non-viral gene delivery with nanofibrous scaffolds,” Nucleic Acids Research, vol. 33, no. 19, pp. 1–10, 2005.
- H. Cao, X. Jiang, C. Chai, and S. Y. Chew, “RNA interference by nanofiber-based siRNA delivery system,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 203–212, 2010.
- H. Jiang, Y. Hu, P. Zhao, Y. Li, and K. Zhu, “Modulation of protein release from biodegradable core-shell structured fibers prepared by coaxial electrospinning,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 50–57, 2006.
- S. Sahoo, L. T. Ang, J. C. H. Goh, and S. L. Toh, “Growth factor delivery through electrospun nanofibers in scaffolds for tissue engineering applications,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 1539–1550, 2010.
- H. Li, C. Zhao, Z. Wang, H. Zhang, X. Yuan, and D. Kong, “Controlled release of PDGF-bb by coaxial electrospun dextran/poly(L- lactide-co-ε-caprolactone) fibers with an ultrafine core/shell structure,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 21, no. 6-7, pp. 803–819, 2010.
- W. Ji, F. Yang, J. J. J. P. Van Den Beucken et al., “Fibrous scaffolds loaded with protein prepared by blend or coaxial electrospinning,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 4199–4207, 2010.
- D. Lukáš, A. Sarkar, L. Martinová et al., “Physical principles of electrospinning (electrospinning as a nano-scale technology of the twenty-first century),” Textile Progress, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 59–140, 2009.
- Y. Qian, X. Li, Y. Su, Q. Ke, and X. Mo, “Fabrication and characterization of polycaprolactone/ chlorophyllin sodium copper salt nanofibrous mats from 2,2,2-trifluoroethanol solution by electrospinning,” Iranian Polymer Journal (English Edition), vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 265–274, 2009.
- J. Huard, A. Usas, A. M. Ho, G. M. Cooper, A. Olshanski, and H. Peng, “Bone regeneration mediated by BMP4-expressing muscle-derived stem cells is affected by delivery system,” Tissue Engineering A, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 285–293, 2009.
- P. Kochova, “elfpy,” 2011, http://code.google.com/p/elfpy/.
- D. Tvrdík, C. Povýšil, J. Svatošová, and P. Dundr, “Molecular diagnosis of synovial sarcoma: RT-PCR detection of SYT-SSX1/2 fusion transcripts in paraffin-embedded tissue,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. MT1–MT7, 2005.
- J. Liao, X. Guo, D. Nelson, F. K. Kasper, and A. G. Mikos, “Modulation of osteogenic properties of biodegradable polymer/extracellular matrix scaffolds generated with a flow perfusion bioreactor,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 2386–2393, 2010.
- G. Ciapetti, L. Ambrosio, L. Savarino et al., “Osteoblast growth and function in porous poly ε-caprolactone matrices for bone repair: a preliminary study,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 21, pp. 3815–3824, 2003.
- J. S. Choi and H. S. Yoo, “Nano-inspired fibrous matrix with bi-phasic release of proteins,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 3038–3045, 2010.
- R. Jakubova, A. Mickova, M. Buzgo et al., “Immobilization of thrombocytes on PCL nanofibres enhances chondrocyte proliferation in vitro,” Cell Proliferation, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 183–191, 2011.
- R. W. Forsey and J. B. Chaudhuri, “Validity of DNA analysis to determine cell numbers in tissue engineering scaffolds,” Biotechnology Letters, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 819–823, 2009.
- T. Mygind, M. Stiehler, A. Baatrup et al., “Mesenchymal stem cell ingrowth and differentiation on coralline hydroxyapatite scaffolds,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1036–1047, 2007.
- L. A. Hails, J. C. Babister, S. Inglis, S. A. Davis, R. O. C. Oreffo, and S. Mann, “Inhibition of hydroxyapatite nanoparticle-induced osteogenic activity in skeletal cells by adsorption of serum proteins,” Small, vol. 6, no. 18, pp. 1986–1991, 2010.
- C. Wang, Y. Duan, B. Markovic et al., “Proliferation and bone-related gene expression of osteoblasts grown on hydroxyapatite ceramics sintered at different temperature,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 15, pp. 2949–2956, 2004.
- N. Ribeiro, S. R. Sousa, and F. J. Monteiro, “Influence of crystallite size of nanophased hydroxyapatite on fibronectin and osteonectin adsorption and on MC3T3-E1 osteoblast adhesion and morphology,” Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 351, no. 2, pp. 398–406, 2010.