- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 457065, 7 pages
An Experimental Model for Resistance Exercise in Rodents
1Laboratory of Applied Nutrition and Metabolism, School of Physical Education and Sports, University of São Paulo, Cidade Universitária, 05508-030 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of São Paulo, 05508-030 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 6 August 2011; Revised 21 October 2011; Accepted 28 November 2011
Academic Editor: Leon Spicer
Copyright © 2012 Humberto Nicastro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. A. Hawley, “Exercise as a therapeutic intervention for the prevention and treatment of insulin resistance,” Diabetes/Metabolism Research and Reviews, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 383–393, 2004.
- V. D. S. Painelli, B. Gualano, G. G. Artioli et al., “The possible role of physical exercise on the treatment of idiopathic inflammatory myopathies,” Autoimmunity Reviews, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 355–359, 2009.
- G. Guilhem, C. Cornu, and A. Guével, “Neuromuscular and muscle-tendon system adaptations to isotonic and isokinetic eccentric exercise,” Annals of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 319–341, 2010.
- L. O. Pereira and A. H. Lancha Jr., “Effect of insulin and contraction up on glucose transport in skeletal muscle,” Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology, vol. 84, no. 1, pp. 1–27, 2004.
- M. Izquierdo, K. Häkkinen, J. Ibáñez, W. J. Kraemer, and E. M. Gorostiaga, “Effects of combined resistance and cardiovascular training on strength, power, muscle cross-sectional area, and endurance markers in middle-aged men,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 94, no. 1-2, pp. 70–75, 2005.
- J. J. Hulmi, S. Walker, J. P. Ahtiainen, K. Ny man, W. J. Kraemer, and K. Hakkinen, “Molecular signaling in muscle is affected by the specificit y of resistance exercise protocol,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. In press.
- M. L. Leal, L. Lamas, M. S. Aoki et al., “Effect of different resistance-training regimens on the WNT-signaling pathway,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 111, no. 10, pp. 2535–2545, 2011.
- L. Lamas, M. S. Aoki, C. Ugrinowitsch et al., “Expression of genes related to muscle plasticity after strength and power training regimens,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 216–225, 2010.
- H. Roschel, C. Ugrinowistch, R. Barroso et al., “Effect of eccentric exercise velocity on akt/mtor/ signaling in human skeletal muscle,” Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 283–290, 2011.
- M. Neves Jr., G. Barreto, L. Boobis et al., “Incidence of adverse events associated with percutaneous muscular biopsy among healthy and diseased subjects,” Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports. In press.
- M. A. Tarnopolsky, E. Pearce, K. Smith, and B. Lach, “Suction-modified Bergström muscle biopsy technique: experience with 13,500 procedures,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 717–725, 2011.
- H. Klitgaard, “A model for quantitative strength training of hindlimb muscles of the rat,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 1740–1745, 1988.
- G. R. Adams, F. Haddad, P. W. Bodell, P. D. Tran, and K. M. Baldwin, “Combined isometric, concentric, and eccentric resistance exercise prevents unloading-induced muscle atrophy in rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 103, no. 5, pp. 1644–1654, 2007.
- F. Haddad, G. R. Adams, P. W. Bodell, and K. M. Baldwin, “Isometric resistance exercise fails to counteract skeletal muscle atrophy processes during the initial stages of unloading,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 100, no. 2, pp. 433–441, 2006.
- O. Wirth, E. W. Gregory, R. G. Cutlip, and G. R. Miller, “Control and quantitation of voluntary weight-lifting performance of rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 95, no. 1, pp. 402–412, 2003.
- J. D. Fluckey, E. E. Dupont-Versteegden, D. C. Montague et al., “A rat resistance exercise regimen attenuates losses of musculoskeletal mass during hindlimb suspension,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 176, no. 4, pp. 293–300, 2002.
- N. E. Zanchi, M. A. D. S. Filho, F. S. Lira et al., “Chronic resistance training decreases MuRF-1 and Atrogin-1 gene expression but does not modify Akt, GSK-3β and p70S6K levels in rats,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 106, no. 3, pp. 415–423, 2009.
- H. Nicastro, N. E. Zanchi, C. R. da Luz et al., “Effects of leucine supplementation and resistance exercise on dexamethasone-induced muscle atrophy and insulin resistance in rats,” Nutrition. In press.