- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 579141, 9 pages
Physical Properties and Biocompatibility of a Core-Sheath Structure Composite Scaffold for Bone Tissue Engineering In Vitro
1Institute of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Xijing Hospital, The Fourth Military Medical University, Xi'an 710032, China
2Department of Mechanical Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Received 1 November 2011; Revised 17 December 2011; Accepted 4 January 2012
Academic Editor: Bernd H. A. Rehm
Copyright © 2012 Chuangjian Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. F. Amstein and P. A. Hartman, “Adaptation of plastic surfaces for tissue culture by glow discharge,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 46–54, 1975.
- S. Shi, X. H. Wang, G. Guo, M. Fan, M. J. Huang, and Z. Y. Qian, “Preparation and characterization of microporous poly(D,L-lactic acid) film for tissue engineering scaffold,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 1049–1055, 2010.
- T. Angwarawong, S. T. Dubas, M. Arksornnukit, and P. Pavasant, “Differentiation of MC3T3-E1 on poly(4-styrenesulfonic acid-co-maleic acid) sodium salt-coated films,” Dental Materials Journal, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 158–169, 2011.
- C. Gao, X. Hu, Y. Hong, J. Guan, and J. Shen, “Photografting of poly(hydroxylethyl acrylate) onto porous polyurethane scaffolds to improve their endothelial cell compatibility,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 14, no. 9, pp. 937–950, 2003.
- J. Gao, L. Niklason, and R. Langer, “Surface hydrolysis of poly(glycolic acid) meshes increases the seeding density of vascular smooth muscle cells,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 417–424, 1998.
- C. Y. Yang, L. Y. Huang, T. L. Shen, and J. A. Yeh, “Cell adhesion, morphology and biochemistry on nano-topographic oxidized silicon surfaces,” European Cells & Materials, vol. 20, pp. 415–430, 2010.
- N. M. Coelho, C. González-García, J. A. Planell, M. Salmerón-Sánchez, and G. Altankov, “Different assembly of type IV collagen on hydrophilic and hydrophobic substrata alters endothelial cells interaction,” European Cells & Materials, vol. 19, pp. 262–272, 2010.
- L. J. Gibson, “The mechanical behaviour of cancellous bone,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 317–328, 1985.
- M. D. Schofer, A. Veltum, C. Theisen et al., “Functionalisation of PLLA nanofiber scaffolds using a possible cooperative effect between collagen type i and BMP-2: impact on growth and osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1753–1762, 2011.
- V. Karageorgiou and D. Kaplan, “Porosity of 3D biomaterial scaffolds and osteogenesis,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 27, pp. 5474–5491, 2005.
- Y. Hatakeyama, J. Hatakeyama, A. Takahashi, et al., “The effect of valproic acid on mesenchymal pluripotent cell proliferation and differentiation in extracellular matrices,” Drug Target Insights, vol. 5, pp. 1–9, 2011.
- J. M. Lane and M. P. Bostrom, “Bone grafting and new composite biosynthetic graft materials,” Instructional course lectures, vol. 47, pp. 525–534, 1998.
- X. Liu and P. X. Ma, “Polymeric scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 477–486, 2004.
- Z. Li, H. R. Ramay, K. D. Hauch, D. Xiao, and M. Zhang, “Chitosan-alginate hybrid scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 18, pp. 3919–3928, 2005.
- L. Ma, Y. Shi, Y. Chen, H. Zhao, C. Gao, and C. Han, “In vitro and in vivo biological performance of collagen-chitosan/silicone membrane bilayer dermal equivalent,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 2185–2191, 2007.
- R. Marom, I. Shur, R. Solomon, and D. Benayahu, “Characterization of adhesion and differentiation markers of osteogenic marrow stromal cells,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 202, no. 1, pp. 41–48, 2005.
- C. M. Vaz, S. van Tuijl, C. V. C. Bouten, and F. P. T. Baaijens, “Design of scaffolds for blood vessel tissue engineering using a multi-layering electrospinning technique,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 575–582, 2005.
- A. M. Moursi, R. K. Globus, and C. H. Damsky, “Interactions between integrin receptors and fibronectin are required for calvarial osteoblast differentiation in vitro,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 110, no. 18, pp. 2187–2196, 1997.
- E. Biazar, M. Heidari, A. Asefnejad, and N. Montazeri, “The relationship between cellular adhesion and surface roughness in polystyrene modified by microwave plasma radiation,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 6, pp. 631–639, 2011.
- T. S.N. Silva, B. T. Primo, A. N. Silva Jr., D. C. Machado, C. Viezzer, and L. A. Santos, “Use of calcium phosphate cement scaffolds for bone tissue engineering: in vitro study,” Acta Cirurgica Brasileira, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 2011.
- M. De Barros Coelho and M. Magalhães Pereira, “Sol-gel synthesis of bioactive glass scaffolds for tissue engineering: effect of surfactant type and concentration,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part B, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 451–456, 2005.
- X. H. Xie, X. L. Wang, G. Zhang et al., “Structural and degradation characteristics of an innovative porous PLGA/TCP scaffold incorporated with bioactive molecular icaritin,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 5, no. 5, Article ID 054109, 2010.
- Y. Zhou, F. Chen, S. T. Ho, M. A. Woodruff, T. M. Lim, and D. W. Hutmacher, “Combined marrow stromal cell-sheet techniques and high-strength biodegradable composite scaffolds for engineered functional bone grafts,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 814–824, 2007.
- J. Ruan, K. Wang, H. Song, X. Xu, J. Ji, and D. Cui, “Biocompatibility of hydrophilic silica-coated CdTe quantum dots and magnetic nanoparticles,” Nanoscale Research Letters, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. X1–13, 2011.