- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 656428, 10 pages
Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptors in Regulation of Cytochromes P450: New Way to Overcome Multidrug Resistance?
1Department of Histology and Embryology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University, Hnevotinska 3, 775 15 Olomouc, Czech Republic
2Laboratory of Molecular Pathology, Department of Clinical and Molecular Pathology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University, Hnevotinska 3, 775 15 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Received 12 June 2012; Revised 16 August 2012; Accepted 17 September 2012
Academic Editor: Soldano Ferrone
Copyright © 2012 Katerina Cizkova et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. C. Baugley, “Multidrug resistance in cancer,” in Multidrug Resistance in Cancer (Methods in Molecular Biology), J. Zhou, Ed., pp. 1–14, Humana Press, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- A. Konieczna, R. Lichnovka, B. Erdosova, and J. Ehrmann, “The role of PPARs in MDR—a lesson from embryonic development,” Neoplasma, vol. 56, no. 4, pp. 279–283, 2009.
- A. Pozzi, V. Popescu, S. Yang et al., “The anti-tumorigenic properties of peroxisomal proliferator-activated receptor α are arachidonic acid epoxygenase-mediated,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 285, no. 17, pp. 12840–12850, 2010.
- J. Sahi, C. B. Black, G. A. Hamilton et al., “Comparative effects of thiazolidinediones on in vitro P450 enzyme induction and inhibition,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 439–446, 2003.
- H. R. Mellor and R. Callaghan, “Resistance to chemotherapy in cancer: a complex and integrated cellular response,” Pharmacology, vol. 81, no. 4, pp. 275–300, 2008.
- J. P. Gillet and M. M. Gottesman, “Mechanisms of multidrug resistance in cancer,” in Multidrug Resistance in Cancer (Methods in Molecular Biology), J. Zhou, Ed., pp. 47–76, Humana Press, New York, NY, USA, 2010.
- C. M. Brown, B. Reisfeld, and A. N. Mayeno, “Cytochromes P450: a structure-based summary of biotransformations using representative substrates,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–100, 2008.
- O. Barbier, C. Fontaine, J. C. Fruchart, and B. Staels, “Genomic and non-genomic interactions of PPARα with xenobiotic-metabolizing enzymes,” Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 324–330, 2004.
- D. R. Nelson, “The cytochrome P450 homepage,” Human Genomics, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 2009.
- S. B. Koukouritaki, J. R. Manro, S. A. Marsh et al., “Developmental expression of human hepatic CYP2C9 and CYP2C19,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 308, no. 3, pp. 965–974, 2004.
- C. D. Scripture, A. Sparreboom, and W. D. Figg, “Modulation of cytochrome P450 activity: implications for cancer therapy,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 6, no. 10, pp. 780–789, 2005.
- C. A. Lee, D. Neul, A. Clouser-Roche et al., “Identification of novel substrates for human cytochrome P450 2J2,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 347–356, 2010.
- M. C. E. McFadyen, W. T. Melvin, and G. I. Murray, “Cytochrome P450 enzymes: novel options for cancer therapeutics,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 363–371, 2004.
- D. Panigrahy, A. Kaipainen, E. R. Greene, and S. Huang, “Cytochrome P450-derived eicosanoids: the neglected pathway in cancer,” Cancer Metastasis Reviews, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 723–735, 2010.
- G. Yan, S. Chen, B. You, and J. Sun, “Activation of sphingosine kinase-1 mediates induction of endothelial cell proliferation and angiogenesis by epoxyeicosatrienoic acids,” Cardiovascular Research, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 308–314, 2008.
- A. C. Webler, R. Popp, T. Korff et al., “Cytochrome P450 2C9-indiiced angiogenesis is dependent on EphB4,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 1123–1129, 2008.
- S. Y. Cheranov, M. Karpurapu, D. Wang, B. Zhang, R. C. Venema, and G. N. Rao, “An essential role for SRC-activated STAT-3 in 14, 15-EET-induced VEGF expression and angiogenesis,” Blood, vol. 111, no. 12, pp. 5581–5591, 2008.
- A. C. Webler, U. R. Michaelis, R. Popp et al., “Epoxyeicosatrienoic acids are part of the VEGF-activated signaling cascade leading to angiogenesis,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 295, no. 5, pp. C1292–C1301, 2008.
- J. G. Jiang, Y. G. Ning, C. Chen et al., “Cytochrome P450 epoxygenase promotes human cancer metastasis,” Cancer Research, vol. 67, no. 14, pp. 6665–6674, 2007.
- G. F. Shen, J. G. Jiang, X. N. Fu, and D. W. Wang, “Promotive effects of epoxyeicosatrienoic acids (EETs) on proliferation of tumor cells,” Chinese Journal of Cancer, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1130–1136, 2008.
- J. Bystrom, J. A. Wray, M. C. Sugden et al., “Endogenous epoxygenases are modulators of monocyte/macrophage activity,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 10, Article ID e26591, 2011.
- J. M. Treluyer, G. Gueret, G. Cheron, M. Sonnier, and T. Cresteil, “Developmental expression of CYP2C and CYP2C-dependent activities in the human liver: in-vivo/in-vitro correlation and inducibility,” Pharmacogenetics, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 441–452, 1997.
- A. E. Enayetallah, R. A. French, M. S. Thibodeau, and D. F. Grant, “Distribution of soluble epoxide hydrolase and of cytochrome P450 2C8, 2C9, and 2J2 in human tissues,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 447–454, 2004.
- J. Leclerc, G. Tournel, E. C. N. Ngangue et al., “Profiling gene expression of whole cytochrome P450 superfamily in human bronchial and peripheral lung tissues: differential expression in non-small cell lung cancers,” Biochimie, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 292–306, 2010.
- I. Bièche, C. Narjoz, T. Asselah et al., “Reverse transcriptase-PCR quantification of mRNA levels from cytochrome (CYP)1, CYP2 and CYP3 families in 22 different human tissues,” Pharmacogenetics and Genomics, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 731–742, 2007.
- J. A. DeLoia, W. C. Zamboni, J. M. Jones, S. Strychor, J. L. Kelley, and H. H. Gallion, “Expression and activity of taxane-metobolizing enzymes in ovarian tumors,” Gynecologic Oncology, vol. 108, no. 2, pp. 355–360, 2008.
- A. Gaedigk, D. W. Baker, R. A. Totah et al., “Variability of CYP2J2 expression in human fetal tissues,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 319, no. 2, pp. 523–532, 2006.
- J. G. Jiang, C. L. Chen, J. W. Card et al., “Cytochrome P450 2J2 promotes the neoplastic phenotype of carcinoma cells and is up-regulated in human tumors,” Cancer Research, vol. 65, no. 11, pp. 4707–4715, 2005.
- A. E. Enayetallah, R. A. French, and D. F. Grant, “Distribution of soluble epoxide hydrolase, cytochrome P450 2C8, 2C9 and 2J2 in human malignant neoplasms,” Journal of Molecular Histology, vol. 37, no. 3-4, pp. 133–141, 2006.
- R. S. Freedman, E. Wang, S. Voiculescu et al., “Comparative analysis of peritoneum and tumor eicosanoids and pathways in advanced ovarian cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 13, no. 19, pp. 5736–5744, 2007.
- C. Chen, X. Wei, X. Rao et al., “Cytochrome P450 2J2 is highly expressed in hematologic malignant diseases and promotes tumor cell growth,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 336, no. 2, pp. 344–355, 2011.
- J. P. Vanden Heuvel and J. M. Peters, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors,” in Comprehensive Toxicology (Cellular and Molecular Toxicology), C. A. McQueen, J. Bond, K. Ramos et al., Eds., vol. 2, pp. 145–167, Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, 2010, http://www.knovel.com/web/portal/browse/display?_EXT_KNOVEL_DISPLAY_bookid=3459&VerticalID=0.
- Y. Chen, A. R. Jimenez, and J. D. Medh, “Identification and regulation of novel PPAR-γ splice variants in human THP-1 macrophages,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1759, no. 1-2, pp. 32–43, 2006.
- B. P. Kota, T. H. W. Huang, and B. D. Roufogalis, “An overview on biological mechanisms of PPARs,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 85–94, 2005.
- K. A. Burns and J. P. Vanden Heuvel, “Modulation of PPAR activity via phosphorylation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1771, no. 8, pp. 952–960, 2007.
- W. D. Rees, C. J. McNeil, and C. A. Maloney, “The roles of PPARs in the fetal origins of metabolic health and disease,” PPAR Research, vol. 2008, Article ID 459030, 8 pages, 2008.
- K. Nadra, S. I. Anghel, E. Joye et al., “Differentiation of trophoblast giant cells and their metabolic functions are dependent on peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor β/δ,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 3266–3281, 2006.
- Y. Barak, M. C. Nelson, E. S. Ong et al., “PPARγ is required for placental, cardiac, and adipose tissue development,” Molecular Cell, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 585–595, 1999.
- N. Kubota, Y. Terauchi, H. Miki et al., “PPARγ mediates high-fat diet-induced adipocyte hypertrophy and insulin resistance,” Molecular Cell, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 597–609, 1999.
- L. Michalik and W. Wahli, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) in skin health, repair and disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1771, no. 8, pp. 991–998, 2007.
- M. G. Hall, L. Quignodon, and B. Desvergne, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor β/δ in the brain: facts and hypothesis,” PPAR Research, vol. 2008, Article ID 780452, 10 pages, 2008.
- C. Huin, L. Corriveau, A. Bianchi et al., “Differential expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors (PPARs) in the developing human fetal digestive tract,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 603–611, 2000.
- T. Fournier, V. Tsatsaris, K. Handschuh, and D. Evain-Brion, “PPARs and the placenta,” Placenta, vol. 28, no. 2-3, pp. 65–76, 2007.
- B. D. Abbott, C. R. Wood, A. M. Watkins, K. P. Das, and C. S. Lau, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors alpha, beta, and gamma mRNA and protein expression in human fetal tissues,” PPAR Research, vol. 2010, Article ID 690907, 19 pages, 2010.
- M. Rakhshandehroo, B. Knoch, M. Müller, and S. Kersten, “Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha target genes,” PPAR Research, vol. 2010, Article ID 612089, 20 pages, 2010.
- L. Richert, G. Tuschl, C. Viollon-Abadie et al., “Species differences in the response of liver drug-metabolizing enzymes to (S)-4-O-tolylsulfanyl-2-(4-trifluormethyl-phenoxy)-butyric acid (EMD 392949) in vivo and in vitro,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 702–714, 2008.
- Z. Shaban, M. Soliman, S. El-Shazly et al., “AhR and PPARα: antagonistic effects on CYP2B and CYP3A, and additive inhibitory effects on CYP2C11,” Xenobiotica, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 51–68, 2005.
- R. Večeřa, A. Zachařová, J. Orolin, J. Strojil, N. Škottová, and P. Anzenbacher, “Fenofibrate-induced decrease of expression of CYP2C11 and CYP2C6 in rat,” Biopharmaceutics & Drug Disposition, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 482–487, 2011.
- X. Zhao and L. Y. Li, “PPAR-alpha agonist fenofibrate induces renal CYP enzymes and reduces blood pressure and glomerular hypertrophy in Zucker diabetic fatty rats,” American Journal of Nephrology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 598–606, 2008.
- A. Pozzi, M. R. Ibanez, A. E. Gatica et al., “Peroxisomal proliferator-activated receptor-α-dependent inhibition of endothelial cell proliferation and tumorigenesis,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 24, pp. 17685–17695, 2007.
- J. A. Wray, M. C. Sugden, D. C. Zeldin et al., “The epoxygenases CYP2J2 activates the nuclear receptor PPARα in vitro and in vivo,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 10, Article ID e7421, 2009.
- V. Y. Ng, Y. Huang, L. M. Reddy, J. R. Falck, E. T. Lin, and D. L. Kroetz, “Cytochrome P450 eicosanoids are activators of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor α,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1126–1134, 2007.
- T. Prueksaritanont, K. M. Richards, Y. Qiu et al., “Comparative effects of fibrates on drug metabolizing enzymes in human hepatocytes,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 71–78, 2005.