- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 659869, 11 pages
Structure and Functional Characteristics of Rat’s Left Ventricle Cardiomyocytes under Antiorthostatic Suspension of Various Duration and Subsequent Reloading
State Scientific Center of Russian Federation, Institute of Biomedical Problems of Russian Academy of Sciences, 76-a, Khoroshevskoyoe Shosse, Moscow 123007, Russia
Received 5 March 2012; Revised 17 May 2012; Accepted 1 June 2012
Academic Editor: Michael Kalafatis
Copyright © 2012 I. V. Ogneva et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. E. Thornton, T. P. Moore, and S. L. Pool, “Fluid shifts in weightlessness,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 58, no. 9, pp. A86–90, 1987.
- D. E. Watenpaugh and A. R. Hargens, “The cardiovascular system in microgravity,” in Handbook of Physiology. Environmental Physiology, vol. 4 of American Physiological Society, no. I, part 3, chapter 29, pp. 631–674, 1996.
- J. V. Nixon, R. G. Murray, C. Bryant, et al., “Early cardiovascular adaptation to simulated zero gravity,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 46, pp. 541–548, 1979.
- M. W. Bungo, D. J. Goldwater, R. L. Popp, and H. Sandler, “Echocardiographic evaluation of space shuttle crewmembers,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 278–283, 1987.
- J. B. Charles and C. M. Lathers, “Cardiovascular adaptation to spaceflight,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 31, no. 10, pp. 1010–1023, 1991.
- E. R. Morey, E. E. Sabelman, R. T. Turner, and D. J. Baylink, “A new rat model simulating some aspects of space flight,” Physiologist, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. S23–24, 1979.
- E. Morey-Holton, R. K. Globus, A. Kaplansky, and G. Durnova, “The hindlimb unloading rat model: literature overview, technique update and comparison with space flight data,” Advances in Space Biology and Medicine, vol. 10, pp. 7–40, 2005.
- A. R. Hargens, J. Steakai, C. Johansson, and C. M. Tipton, “Tissue fluid shift, forelimb loading, and tail tension in tailsuspended rats,” Physiologist, vol. 27, supplement, pp. S37–S38, 1984.
- X. J. Musacchia, D. R. Deavers, and G. A. Meininger, “Fluid/electrolyte balance and cardiovascular responses: head-down tilted rats,” Physiologist, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. S46–47, 1990.
- K. S. McDonald, M. D. Delp, and R. H. Fitts, “Effect of hindlimb unweighting on tissue blood flow in the rat,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 72, no. 6, pp. 2210–2218, 1992.
- F. G. Shellock, H. J. C. Swan, and S. A. Rubin, “Early central venous pressure changes in the rat during two different levels of head-down suspension,” Aviation Space and Environmental Medicine, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 791–795, 1985.
- G. Halet, P. Viard, J. L. Morel, J. Mironneau, and C. Mironneau, “Effects of hindlimb suspension on cytosolic Ca2+ and [3H]ryanodine binding in cardiac myocytes,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 276, no. 4, pp. H1131–H1136, 1999.
- W. Yin, J. C. Liu, R. Fan et al., “Modulation of β-adrenoceptor signaling in the hearts of 4-wk simulated weightlessness rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 105, no. 2, pp. 569–574, 2008.
- Y. Cui, S.-M. Zhang, Q.-Y. Zhang et al., “Modulation of intracellular calcium transient in response to β-adrenoceptor stimulation in the hearts of 4-wk-old rats during simulated weightlessness,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 838–844, 2010.
- S. Fagette, M. Lo, C. Gharib, and G. Gauquelin, “Cardiovascular variability and baroreceptor reflex sensitivity over a 14-day tail suspension in rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 717–724, 1995.
- J. Chen, L. F. Zhang, and J. Ma, “Ultrastructural changes of myocardium in long-term tail-suspended rats,” in Chinese Journal of Aerospace Medicine, vol. 6, pp. 133–137, 1995.
- L. F. Zhang, “Experimental studies on effects of simulated weightlessness on myocardial function and structure,” Journal of Gravitational Physiology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. P133–P136, 1994.
- L. F. Zhang, Z. B. Yu, and J. Ma, “Functional alterations in cardiac muscle after medium- or long-term simulated weightlessness and related cellular mechanisms,” Journal of Gravitational Physiology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. P5–P8, 1995.
- Z. B. Yu, J.-X. Bao, J. Ma, L.-F. Zhang, and J.-P. Jin, “Changes in myocardial contractility and contractile proteins after four weeks of simulate weightlessness in rats,” Journal of Gravitational Physiology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. P147–P148, 2000.
- A. W. Dunlap, D. B. Thomason, V. Menon, and P. A. Hofmann, “Decreased Ca2+ sensitivity of isometric tension in skinned cardiac myocytes from tail-suspended rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 1612–1617, 1996.
- D. Desplanches, M. H. Mayet, B. Sempore, J. Frutoso, and R. Flandrois, “Effect of spontaneous recovery or retraining after hindlimb suspension on aerobic capacity,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 1739–1743, 1987.
- J. M. Overton, C. R. Woodman, and C. M. Tipton, “Effect of hindlimb suspension on O2(max) and regional blood flow responses to exercise,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 653–659, 1989.
- A.-X. Bigard, E. Boehm, V. Veksler, P. Mateo, K. Anflous, and R. Ventura-Clapier, “Muscle unloading induces slow to fast transitions in myofibrillar but not mitochondrial properties. Relevance to skeletal muscle abnormalities in heart failure,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 30, no. 11, pp. 2391–2401, 1998.
- T. Kunishima, “Ultrastructural and biochemical enzymatic properties of right ventricular muscles during hindlimb suspension in rats,” Journal of the Physiological Society of Japan, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 153–164, 1993.
- I. V. Ogneva, “Transversal stiffness and beta-actin and alpha-actinin-4 content of the m. Soleus fibers in the conditions of a 3-day reloading after 14-day gravitational unloading,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 393405, 7 pages, 2011.
- S. C. Lieber, N. Aubry, J. Pain, G. Diaz, S.-J. Kim, and S. F. Vatner, “Aging increases stiffness of cardiac myocytes measured by atomic force microscopy nanoindentation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 287, no. 2, pp. H645–H651, 2004.
- J. Zhu, T. Sabharwal, A. Kalyanasundaram, L. Guo, and G. Wang, “Topographic mapping and compression elasticity analysis of skinned cardiac muscle fibers in vitro with atomic force microscopy and nanoindentation,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 42, no. 13, pp. 2143–2150, 2009.
- I. V. Ogneva, D. V. Lebedev, and B. S. Shenkman, “Transversal stiffness and young's modulus of single fibers from rat soleus muscle probed by atomic force microscopy,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. 418–424, 2010.
- I. V. Ogneva, “Transversal stiffness of fibers and desmin content in leg muscles of rats under gravitational unloading of various durations,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 109, no. 6, pp. 1702–1709, 2010.
- V. A. Saks, V. I. Veksler, A. V. Kuznetsov et al., “Permeabilized cell and skinned fiber techniques in studies of mitochondrial function in vivo,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 184, no. 1-2, pp. 81–100, 1998.
- E. K. Seppet, M. Eimre, T. Andrienko et al., “Studies of mitochondrial respiration in muscle cells in situ: use and misuse of experimental evidence in mathematical modelling,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 256-257, no. 1-2, pp. 219–227, 2004.
- R. Vitorino, R. Ferreira, M. Neuparth et al., “Subcellular proteomics of mice gastrocnemius and soleus muscles,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 366, no. 2, pp. 156–169, 2007.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- N. Akiyama, Y. Ohnuki, Y. Kunioka, Y. Saeki, and T. Yamada, “Transverse stiffness of myofibrils of skeletal and cardiac muscles studied by atomic force microscopy,” Journal of Physiological Sciences, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 145–151, 2006.
- M. Stewart, K. Franks-Skiba, and R. Cooke, “Myosin regulatory light chain phosphorylation inhibits shortening velocities of skeletal muscle fibers in the presence of the myosin inhibitor blebbistatin,” Journal of Muscle Research and Cell Motility, vol. 30, no. 1-2, pp. 17–27, 2009.
- A. Persechini, J. T. Stull, and R. Cooke, “The effect of myosin phosphorylation on the contractile properties of skinned rabbit skeletal muscle fibers,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 260, no. 13, pp. 7951–7954, 1985.
- I. Matsubara, Y. E. Goldman, and R. M. Simmons, “Changes in the lateral filament spacing of skinned muscle fibres when cross-bridges attach,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 15–33, 1984.
- S. Xu, B. Brenner, and L. C. Yu, “State-dependent radial elasticity of attached cross-bridges in single skinned fibres of rabbit psoas muscle,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 465, pp. 749–765, 1993.
- K. W. Ranatunga, N. S. Fortune, and M. A. Geeves, “Hydrostatic compression in glycerinated rabbit muscle fibers,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 1401–1410, 1990.
- D. L. Enns, T. Raastad, I. Ugelstad, and A. N. Belcastro, “Calpain/calpastatin activities and substrate depletion patterns during hindlimb unweighting and reweighting in skeletal muscle,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 100, no. 4, pp. 445–455, 2007.
- K. S. McDonald and R. H. Fitts, “Effect of hindlimb unloading on rat soleus fiber force, stiffness, and calcium sensitivity,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 79, no. 5, pp. 1796–1802, 1995.
- Y. Capetanaki, R. J. Bloch, A. Kouloumenta, M. Mavroidis, and S. Psarras, “Muscle intermediate filaments and their links to membranes and membranous organelles,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 313, no. 10, pp. 2063–2076, 2007.
- L. Rappaport, P. Oliviero, and J. L. Samuel, “Cytoskeleton and mitochondrial morphology and function,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 184, no. 1-2, pp. 101–105, 1998.
- Y. Capetanaki and D. J. Milner, “Desmin cytoskeleton in muscle integrity and function,” Sub-Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 31, pp. 463–495, 1998.
- D. J. Milner, M. Mavroidis, N. Weisleder, and Y. Capetanaki, “Desmin cytoskeleton linked to muscle mitochondrial distribution and respiratory function,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 150, no. 6, pp. 1283–1298, 2000.
- V. A. Saks, A. Kuznetsov, T. Andrienko et al., “Heterogeneity of ADP diffusion and regulation of respiration in cardiac cells,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 3436–3456, 2003.
- Y. Ohira, W. Yasui, F. Kariya et al., “Metabolic adaptation of skeletal muscles to gravitational unloading,” Acta Astronautica, vol. 33, pp. 113–117, 1994.
- W. W. Winder, “Energy-sensing and signaling by AMP-activated protein kinase in skeletal muscle,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 1017–1028, 2001.
- S. Goffart, A. Franko, C. S. Clemen, and R. J. Wiesner, “α-actinin 4 and BAT1 interaction with the Cytochrome c promoter upon skeletal muscle differentiation,” Current Genetics, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 125–135, 2006.
- M. J. F. Broderick and S. J. Winder, “Towards a complete atomic structure of spectrin family proteins,” Journal of Structural Biology, vol. 137, no. 1-2, pp. 184–193, 2002.
- H. Youssoufian, M. McAfee, and D. J. Kwiatkowski, “Cloning and chromosomal localization of the human cytoskeletal α-actinin gene reveals linkage to the β-spectrin gene,” American Journal of Human Genetics, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 62–72, 1990.
- M. D. Baron, M. D. Davison, P. Jones, and D. R. Critchley, “The structure and function of alpha-actinin,” Biochemical Society Transactions, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 796–798, 1987.
- K. D. Costa, A. J. Sim, and F. C. P. Yin, “Non-Hertzian approach to analyzing mechanical properties of endothelial cells probed by atomic force microscopy,” Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, vol. 128, no. 2, pp. 176–184, 2006.
- A. M. Collinsworth, S. Zhang, W. E. Kraus, and G. A. Truskey, “Apparent elastic modulus and hysteresis of skeletal muscle cells throughout differentiation,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 4, pp. C1219–C1227, 2002.
- C. Velez, A. E. Aranega, J. C. Prados, C. Melguizo, L. Alvarez, and A. Aranega, “Basic fibroblast and platelet-derived growth factors as modulators of actin and α-actinin in chick myocardiocytes during development,” Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine, vol. 210, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 1995.
- S. Balasubramanian, S. K. Mani, H. Kasiganesan, C. C. Baicu, and D. Kuppuswamy, “Hypertrophic stimulation increases β-actin dynamics in adult feline cardiomyocytes,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 7, Article ID e11470, 2010.
- K. Honda, T. Yamada, R. Endo et al., “Actinin-4, a novel actin-bundling protein associated with cell motility and cancer invasion,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 140, no. 6, pp. 1383–1393, 1998.
- X. Cai, J. Cai, S. Dong, H. Deng, and M. Hu, “Morphology and mechanical properties of normal lymphocyte and Jurkat revealed by atomic force microscopy,” Shengwu Gongcheng Xuebao/Chinese Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1107–1112, 2009.