- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 693848, 11 pages
Production of Chemoenzymatic Catalyzed Monoepoxide Biolubricant: Optimization and Physicochemical Characteristics
School of Chemical Sciences and Food Technology, Faculty of Science and Technology, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Bangi, 43600 Selangor, Malaysia
Received 26 July 2011; Revised 22 August 2011; Accepted 24 August 2011
Academic Editor: Rumiana Koynova
Copyright © 2012 Jumat Salimon et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. R. G. Klaas and S. Warwel, “Complete and partial epoxidation of plant oils by lipase-catalyzed perhydrolysis,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 125–132, 1999.
- P.-P. Meyer, N. Techaphattana, S. Manundawee, S. Sangkeaw, W. Junlakan, and C. Tongurai, “Epoxidation of soybean oil and Jatropha oil,” Thammasat International Journal of Science Technology, vol. 13, pp. 1–5, 2008.
- A. Adhvaryu and S. Z. Erhan, “Epoxidized soybean oil as a potential source of high-temperature lubricants,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 247–254, 2002.
- S. Warwel and M. R. G. Klaas, “Chemo-enzymatic epoxidation of unsaturated carboxylic acids,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis B, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 29–35, 1995.
- M. R. G. Klaas and S. Warwel, “Lipase-catalyzed preparation of peroxy acids and their use for epoxidation,” Journal of Molecular Catalysis A, vol. 117, no. 1–3, pp. 311–319, 1997.
- C. Orellana-Coca, S. Camocho, D. Adlercreutz, B. Mattiasson, and R. Hatti-Kaul, “Chemo-enzymatic epoxidation of linoleic acid: parameters influencing the reaction,” European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, vol. 107, no. 12, pp. 864–870, 2005.
- S. W. Lin, T. T. Sue, and T. Y. Ai, PORIM Test Methods, vol. 1, PORIM, Bandar Baru Bangi, Malaysia, 1995.
- J. Salimon and N. Salih, “Modification of epoxidized ricinoleic acid for biolubricant base oil with improved flash and pour points,” Asian Journal of Chemistry, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 5468–5476, 2010.
- ASTM Standard D5949, Standard Test Method for Pour Point of Petroleum (Automatic Pressure Pulsing Method), ASTM, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA.
- ASTM Standard D 56-79, Standard Test Method for Flash Point of Liquids with a Viscosity Less than, 45 Saybolt Universal Seconds (SUS) at (that don’t contain suspended solids and don’t tend to form a surface film under test).
- ASTM D 2270-93, Standard Practice for Calculating Viscosity Index from Kinematic Viscosity at 40 and 100°C, ASTM, West Conshohocken, Pa, USA.
- M. Wu, H. Ding, S. Wang, and S. Xu, “Optimization conditions for the purification of linoleic acid from sunflower oil by urea complex fractionation,” Journal of the American Oil Chemist' Society, vol. 85, pp. 677–684, 2008.
- G. Socrates, Infrared and Raman Characteristic Group Frequencies: Tables and Charts, John Wily & Sons, Chichester, UK, 3rd edition, 2001.
- G. Du, A. Tekin, E. G. Hammond, and L. K. Woo, “Catalytic epoxidation of methyl linoleate,” Journal of American Oil Chemical Society, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 477–480, 2004.
- K. M. Doll, B. K. Sharma, and S. Z. Erhan, “Synthesis of branched methyl hydroxy stearates including an ester from bio-based levulinic acid,” Industrial and Engineering Chemistry Research, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 3513–3519, 2007.
- H. S. Hwang and S. Z. Erhan, “Synthetic lubricant basestocks from epoxidized soybean oil and Guerbet alcohols,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 311–317, 2006.
- B. K. Sharma, K. M. Doll, and S. Z. Erhan, “Ester hydroxy derivatives of methyl oleate: tribological, oxidation and low temperature properties,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 15, pp. 7333–7340, 2008.
- J. Salimon, N. Salih, and E. Yousif, “Chemically modified biolubricantbasestocks from epoxidized oleic acid: Improved low temperature properties and oxidative stability,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, vol. 15, pp. 195–201, 2011.
- Y. Y. Zhang, T. H. Ren, H. D. Wang, and M. R. Yi, “A comparative study of phenol-type antioxidants in methyl oleate with quantum calculations and experiments,” Lubrication Science, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 385–392, 2004.