- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 704061, 12 pages
Influences of Desmin and Keratin 19 on Passive Biomechanical Properties of Mouse Skeletal Muscle
1Fischell Department of Bioengineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
2Departments of Orthopaedic Surgery and Bioengineering, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
3Department of Physiology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
4Department of Orthopaedics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Received 28 May 2011; Accepted 10 September 2011
Academic Editor: J.-P. Jin
Copyright © 2012 Sameer B. Shah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Monti, R. R. Roy, J. A. Hodgson, and V. R. Edgerton, “Transmission of forces within mammalian skeletal muscles,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 371–380, 1999.
- J. G. Tidball, “Force transmission across muscle cell membranes,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 24, supplement 1, pp. 43–52, 1991.
- R. J. Bloch and H. Gonzalez-Serratos, “Lateral force transmission across costameres in skeletal muscle,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 73–78, 2003.
- S. F. Street, “Lateral transmission of tension in frog myofibers: a myofibrillar network and transverse cytoskeletal connections are possible transmitters,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 114, no. 3, pp. 346–364, 1983.
- R. J. Bloch, Y. Capetanaki, A. O'Neill et al., “Costameres: repeating structures at the sarcolemma of skeletal muscle,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 403, pp. S203–S210, 2002.
- Y. Capetanaki, R. J. Bloch, A. Kouloumenta, M. Mavroidis, and S. Psarras, “Muscle intermediate filaments and their links to membranes and membranous organelles,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 313, no. 10, pp. 2063–2076, 2007.
- D. Paulin and Z. Li, “Desmin: a major intermediate filament protein essential for the structural integrity and function of muscle,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 301, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2004.
- B. L. Granger and E. Lazarides, “Desmin and vimentin coexist at the periphery of the myofibril Z disc,” Cell, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 1053–1063, 1979.
- F. L. Richardson, M. H. Stromer, T. W. Huiatt, and R. M. Robson, “Immunoelectron and immunofluorescence localization of desmin in mature avian muscles,” European Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 91–101, 1981.
- K. T. Tokuyasu, A. H. Dutton, and S. J. Singer, “Immunoelectron microscopic studies of desmin (skeletin) localization and intermediate filament organization in chicken skeletal muscle,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 96, no. 6, pp. 1727–1735, 1983.
- K. Wang and R. Ramirez-Mitchell, “A network of transverse and longitudinal intermediate filaments is associated with sarcomeres of adult vertebrate skeletal muscle,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 96, no. 2, pp. 562–570, 1983.
- J. V. Pardo, J. D. Siliciano, and S. W. Craig, “Vinculin is a component of an extensive network of myofibril-sarcolemma attachment regions in cardiac muscle fibers,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 97, no. 4, pp. 1081–1088, 1983.
- J. V. Pardo, J. D. Siliciano, and S. W. Craig, “A vinculin-containing cortical lattice in skeletal muscle: transverse lattice elements (“costameres”) mark sites of attachment between myofibrils and sarcolemma,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 80, no. 4, pp. 1008–1012, 1983.
- D. J. Milner, M. Mavroidis, N. Weisleder, and Y. Capetanaki, “Desmin cytoskeleton linked to muscle mitochondrial distribution and respiratory function,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 150, no. 6, pp. 1283–1297, 2000.
- A. O'Neill, M. W. Williams, W. G. Resneck, D. J. Milner, Y. Capetanaki, and R. J. Bloch, “Sarcolemmal organization in skeletal muscle lacking desmin: evidence for cytokeratins associated with the membrane skeleton at costameres,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 2347–2359, 2002.
- S. B. Shah, F. C. Su, K. Jordan et al., “Evidence for increased myofibrillar mobility in desmin-null mouse skeletal muscle,” Journal of Experimental Biology, vol. 205, part 3, pp. 321–325, 2002.
- M. Sam, S. Shah, J. Fridén, D. J. Milner, Y. Capetanaki, and R. L. Lieber, “Desmin knockout muscles generate lower stress and are less vulnerable to injury compared with wild-type muscles,” American Journal of Physiology—Cell Physiology, vol. 279, no. 4, pp. C1116–C1122, 2000.
- R. M. Lovering, A. O'Neill, J. M. Muriel, B. L. Prosser, J. Strong, and R. J. Bloch, “Physiology, structure, and susceptibility to injury of skeletal muscle in mice lacking keratin 19-based and desmin-based intermediate filaments,” American Journal of Physiology—Cell Physiology, vol. 300, no. 4, pp. C803–C813, 2011.
- A. M. Boriek, Y. Capetanaki, W. Hwang et al., “Desmin integrates the three-dimensional mechanical properties of muscles,” American Journal of Physiology—Cell Physiology, vol. 280, no. 1, pp. C46–C52, 2001.
- M. R. Stone, A. O'Neill, D. Catino, and R. J. Bloch, “Specific interaction of the actin-binding domain of dystrophin with intermediate filaments containing keratin 19,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 4280–4293, 2005.
- J. A. Ursitti, P. C. Lee, W. G. Resneck et al., “Cloning and characterization of cytokeratins 8 and 19 in adult rat striated muscle: interaction with the dystrophin glycoprotein complex,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 279, no. 40, pp. 41830–41838, 2004.
- M. R. Stone, A. O'Neill, R. M. Lovering et al., “Absence of keratin 19 in mice causes skeletal myopathy with mitochondrial and sarcolemmal reorganization,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 120, part 22, pp. 3999–4008, 2007.
- J. M. Boer, E. J. de Meijer, E. M. Mank, G. B. van Ommen, and J. T. den Dunnen, “Expression profiling in stably regenerating skeletal muscle of dystrophin-deficient mdx mice,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 12, supplement 1, pp. S118–S124, 2002.
- M. Marotta, C. Ruiz-Roig, Y. Sarria et al., “Muscle genome-wide expression profiling during disease evolution in mdx mice,” Physiological Genomics, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 119–132, 2009.
- G. A. Meyer and R. L. Lieber, “Elucidation of extracellular matrix mechanics from muscle fibers and fiber bundles,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 771–773, 2011.
- S. B. Shah, J. Davis, N. Weisleder et al., “Structural and functional roles of desmin in mouse skeletal muscle during passive deformation,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 2993–3008, 2004.
- S. B. Shah and R. L. Lieber, “Simultaneous imaging and functional assessment of cytoskeletal protein connections in passively loaded single muscle cells,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2003.
- S. Bensamoun, L. Stevens, M. J. Fleury, G. Bellon, F. Goubel, and M. C. H. B. Tho, “Macroscopic-microscopic characterization of the passive mechanical properties in rat soleus muscle,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 568–578, 2006.
- T. Ansved and L. Edstrom, “Effects of age on fibre structure, ultrastructure and expression of desmin and spectrin in fast- and slow-twitch rat muscles,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 174, pp. 61–79, 1991.
- K. P. García-Pelagio, R. J. Bloch, A. Ortega, and H. González-Serratos, “Biomechanics of the sarcolemma and costameres in single skeletal muscle fibers from normal and dystrophin-null mice,” Journal of Muscle Research and Cell Motility, vol. 31, no. 5-6, pp. 323–336, 2011.
- G. A. Meyer, B. Kiss, S. R. Ward, D. L. Morgan, M. S. Z. Kellermayer, and R. L. Lieber, “Theoretical predictions of the effects of force transmission by desmin on intersarcomere dynamics,” Biophysical Journal, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 258–266, 2010.
- J. Anderson, Z. Li, and F. Goubel, “Passive stiffness is increased in soleus muscle of desmin knockout mouse,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1090–1092, 2001.
- B. L. Banwell, “Intermediate filament-related myopathies,” Pediatric Neurology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 257–263, 2001.
- K. Nowak, K. McCullagh, E. Poon, and K. E. Davies, “Muscular dystrophies related to the cytoskeleton/nuclear envelope,” Novartis Foundation Symposium, vol. 264, pp. 98–111, 2005.
- D. Paulin, A. Huet, L. Khanamyrian, and Z. Xue, “Desminopathies in muscle disease,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 204, no. 4, pp. 418–427, 2004.
- D. J. Blake and E. Martin-Rendon, “Intermediate filaments and the function of the dystrophin-protein complex,” Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 224–228, 2002.
- H. H. Goebel and I. A. P. Warlo, “Progress in desmin-related myopathies,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 565–572, 2000.