- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 715812, 9 pages
Simulating Radiotherapy Effect in High-Grade Glioma by Using Diffusive Modeling and Brain Atlases
1Institute of Computer Science, Foundation For Research and Technology-Hellas, 700 13 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
2Department of Electronic & Computer Engineering, Technical University of Crete, 73100 Chania, Greece
Received 21 February 2012; Revised 18 May 2012; Accepted 21 May 2012
Academic Editor: George E. Plopper
Copyright © 2012 Alexandros Roniotis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WHO, World Health Organization, 2010, http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297.
- P. Boyle and B. Levin, “World cancer report 2008,” IARC, 2010.
- Brain Tumors, American Brain Tumor Association, http://www.abta.org/.
- Central Brain Tumor Registry of the United States, “Statistical report: primary brain tumors in the United States, 1992–1997,” Tech. Rep., Chicago, Ill, USA, 2000.
- M. Tovi, “MR imaging in cerebral gliomas analysis of tumour tissue components.,” Acta Radiologica, Supplement, vol. 384, pp. 1–24, 1993.
- S. J. Price, N. G. Burnet, T. Donovan et al., “Diffusion tensor imaging of brain tumours at 3 T: a potential tool for assessing white matter tract invasion?” Clinical Radiology, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 455–462, 2003.
- P. Lissoni, S. Meregalli, L. Nosetto et al., “Increased survival time in brain glioblastomas by a radioneuroendocrine strategy with radiotherapy plus melatonin compared to radiotherapy alone,” Oncology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 43–46, 1996.
- E. G. van Meir, C. G. Hadjipanayis, A. D. Norden, H. K. Shu, P. Y. Wen, and J. J. Olson, “Exciting new advances in neuro-oncology: the avenue to a cure for malignant glioma,” CA Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 166–193, 2010.
- D. Krex, B. Klink, C. Hartmann et al., “Long-term survival with glioblastoma multiforme,” Brain, vol. 130, no. 10, pp. 2596–2606, 2007.
- University of California and Los Angeles Neuro-Oncology, “How our patients perform: Glioblastoma Multiforme [GBM],” 2010, http://www.neurooncology.ucla.edu/.
- K. R. Swanson, E. C. Alvord, and J. D. Murray, “Virtual brain tumours (gliomas) enhance the reality of medical imaging and highlight inadequacies of current therapy,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 14–18, 2002.
- D. L. Silbergeld, R. C. Rostomily, and E. C. Alvord, “The cause of death in patients with glioblastoma is multifactorial: clinical factors and autopsy findings in 117 cases of supratentorial glioblastoma in adults,” Journal of Neuro-Oncology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 1991.
- A. Claes, A. J. Idema, and P. Wesseling, “Diffuse glioma growth: a guerilla war,” Acta Neuropathologica, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 443–458, 2007.
- S. A. Toms, W. C. Lin, R. J. Weil, M. D. Johnson, E. D. Jansen, and A. Mahadevan-Jansen, “Intraoperative optical spectroscopy identifies infiltrating glioma margins with high sensitivity,” Neurosurgery, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 382–391, 2005.
- F. G. Blankenberg, R. L. Teplitz, W. Ellis et al., “The influence of volumetric tumor doubling time, DNA ploidy, and histologic grade on the survival of patients with intracranial astrocytomas,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 16, no. 5, pp. 1001–1012, 1995.
- H. B. Frieboes, X. Zheng, C. H. Sun, B. Tromberg, R. Gatenby, and V. Cristini, “An integrated computational/experimental model of tumor invasion,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 1597–1604, 2006.
- S. Sjöström, U. Andersson, Y. Liu et al., “Genetic variations in EGF and EGFR and glioblastoma outcome,” Neuro-Oncology, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 815–821, 2010.
- V. Cristini, J. Lowengrub, and Q. Nie, “Nonlinear simulation of tumor growth,” Journal of Mathematical Biology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 191–224, 2003.
- T. S. Deisboeck, M. E. Berens, A. R. Kansal, S. Torquato, A. O. Stemmer-Rachamimov, and E. A. Chiocca, “Pattern of self-organization in tumour systems: complex growth dynamics in a novel brain tumour spheroid model,” Cell Proliferation, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 115–134, 2001.
- D. Drasdo and S. Höhme, “A single-cell-based model of tumor growth in vitro: monolayers and spheroids,” Physical Biology, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 133–147, 2005.
- P. Tracqui, “From passive diffusion to active cellular migration in mathematical models of tumour invasion,” Acta Biotheoretica, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 443–464, 1995.
- K. R. Swanson, E. C. Alvord, and J. D. Murray, “A quantitative model for differential motility of gliomas in grey and white matter,” Cell Proliferation, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 317–329, 2000.
- S. Jbabdi, E. Mandonnet, H. Duffau et al., “Simulation of anisotropic growth of low-grade gliomas using diffusion tensor imaging,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 616–624, 2005.
- G. S. Stamatakos, E. A. Kolokotroni, D. D. Dionysiou, E. C. Georgiadi, and C. Desmedt, “An advanced discrete state-discrete event multiscale simulation model of the response of a solid tumor to chemotherapy: mimicking a clinical study,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 266, no. 1, pp. 124–139, 2010.
- O. Clatz, M. Sermesant, P. Y. Bondiau et al., “Realistic simulation of the 3-D growth of brain tumors in MR images coupling diffusion with biomechanical deformation,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 1334–1346, 2005.
- E. Konukoglu, O. Clatz, B. H. Menze et al., “Image guided personalization of reaction-diffusion type tumor growth models using modified anisotropic eikonal equations,” IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 77–95, 2010.
- C. Hogea, C. Davatzikos, and G. Biros, “Modeling glioma growth and mass effect in 3D MR images of the brain,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervenion (MICCAI '07), vol. 4791, pp. 642–650, 2007.
- A. R. Kansal, S. Torquato, G. R. Harsh, E. A. Chiocca, and T. S. Deisboeck, “Simulated brain tumor growth dynamics using a three-dimensional cellular automaton,” Journal of Theoretical Biology, vol. 203, no. 4, pp. 367–382, 2000.
- A. Zizzari, Methods on tumor recognition and planning target prediction for the radiotherapy of cancer [Ph.D. thesis], Electronics Department, University of Magdeburg, 2004.
- M. Tabatabai, D. K. Williams, and Z. Bursac, “Hyperbolastic growth models: theory and application,” Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling, vol. 2, no. 1, p. 14, 2005.
- A. Roniotis, K. Marias, V. Sakkalis, and M. Zervakis, “Diffusive modelling of glioma evolution: a review,” Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 501–508, 2010.
- A. Giese and M. Westphal, “Glioma invasion in the central nervous system,” Neurosurgery, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 235–252, 1996.
- A. Giese, R. Bjerkvig, M. E. Berens, and M. Westphal, “Cost of migration: invasion of malignant gliomas and implications for treatment,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1624–1636, 2003.
- T. E. Conturo, N. F. Lori, T. S. Cull et al., “Tracking neuronal fiber pathways in the living human brain,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 96, no. 18, pp. 10422–10427, 1999.
- K. R. Swanson, R. C. Rostomily, and E. C. Alvord, “A mathematical modelling tool for predicting survival of individual patients following resection of glioblastoma: a proof of principle,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 113–119, 2008.
- R. Rockne, J. K. Rockhill, M. Mrugala et al., “Predicting the efficacy of radiotherapy in individual glioblastoma patients in vivo: a mathematical modeling approach,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 55, no. 12, pp. 3271–3285, 2010.
- E. Hall, Radiobiology for the Radiologist, J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 1994.
- G. S. Stamatakos, V. P. Antipas, N. K. Uzunoglu, and R. G. Dale, “A four-dimensional computer simulation model of the in vivo response to radiotherapy of glioblastoma multiforme: studies on the effect of clonogenic cell density,” British Journal of Radiology, vol. 79, no. 941, pp. 389–400, 2006.
- V. P. Antipas, G. S. Stamatakos, and N. K. Uzunoglu, “A patient-specific in vivo tumor and normal tissue model for prediction of the response to radiotherapy: a computer simulation approach,” Methods of Information in Medicine, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 367–375, 2007.
- A. Roniotis, G. Manikis, V. Sakkalis, M. E. Zervakis, I. Karatzanis, and K. Marias, “High grade glioma diffusive modeling using statistical tissue information and diffusion tensors extracted from atlases,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 255–263, 2011.
- A. Roniotis, V. Sakkalis, I. Karatzanis, M. E. Zervakis, and K. Marias, “In-depth analysis and evaluation of diffusive glioma models,” IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in Biomedicine, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 299–307, 2012.
- V. Sakkalis, A. Roniotis, C. Farmaki, I. Karatzanis, and K. Marias, in Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 1, pp. 6809–6812.
- S. Wahl, T. D. C. Foletto, and G. Feldmann, “A mathematical model for the estimation of treatment cost in cancer radiotherapy,” in Proceedings of the 3rd Southern Conference on Computational Modeling (MCSUL '09), pp. 77–81, November 2009.
- H. L. P. Harpold, E. C. Alvord, and K. R. Swanson, “The evolution of mathematical modeling of glioma proliferation and invasion,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2007.
- T. Rohlfing, N. M. Zahr, E. V. Sullivan, and A. Pfefferbaum, “The SRI24 multichannel atlas of normal adult human brain structure,” Human Brain Mapping, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 798–819, 2010.
- G. Steel, Basic Clinical Radiobiology, Arnold, London, UK, 3rd edition, 2002.
- M. Partridge, M. Ramos, A. Sardaro, and M. Brada, “Dose escalation for non-small cell lung cancer: analysis and modelling of published literature,” Radiotherapy and Oncology, vol. 99, no. 1, pp. 6–11, 2011.
- K. Marias, D. Dionysiou, V. Sakkalis et al., “Clinically driven design of multi-scale cancer models: the ContraCancrum project paradigm,” Interface Focus, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 450–461, 2011.
- E. Skounakis, C. Farmaki, V. Sakkalis et al., “DoctorEye: a clinically driven multifunctional platform, for accurate processing of tumors in medical images,” The Open Medical Informatics Journal, vol. 4, pp. 105–115, 2010.
- A. Roniotis, K. Marias, V. Sakkalis, G. D. Tsibidis, and M. Zervakis, “A complete mathematical study of a 3D model of heterogeneous and anisotropic glioma evolution,” in Proceedings of the 31st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC '09), pp. 2807–2810, September 2009.
- J. K. Udupa, V. R. LeBlanc, H. Schmidt et al., “A methodology for evaluating image segmentation algorithms,” in Medical Imaging 2002: Image Processing, pp. 266–277, February 2002.