- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 718617, 13 pages
Dextran Sodium Sulphate Colitis Mouse Model: Traps and Tricks
Institute of Pathology, Medical Experimental Centre, Medical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Zaloška 4, 1105 Ljubljana, Slovenia
Received 9 December 2011; Accepted 5 March 2012
Academic Editor: Oreste Gualillo
Copyright © 2012 Martina Perše and Anton Cerar. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [64 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- M. D. Trottier, R. Irwin, Y. Li, L. R. McCabe, and P. J. Fraker, “Enhanced production of early lineages of monocytic and granulocytic cells in mice with colitis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 109, no. 41, pp. 16594–16599, 2012.
- Yunliang Yao, Wenzheng Han, Jingjing Liang, Jian Ji, Jianli Wang, Harvey Cantor, and Linrong Lu, “ Glatiramer acetate ameliorates inflammatory bowel disease in mice through the induction of Qa-1-restricted CD8 + regulatory cells ,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 125–136, 2012.
- Felicitas L Koller, E Ashley Dozier, Ki Taek Nam, Mei Swee, Timothy P Birkland, William C Parks, and Barbara Fingleton, “Lack of MMP10 exacerbates experimental colitis and promotes development of inflammation-associated colonic dysplasia,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 92, no. 12, pp. 1749–1759, 2012.
- Min Kyoung Cho, Mi Kyung Park, Shin Ae Kang, Seon Hee Choi, Soon Cheol Ahn, and Hak Sun Yu, “ Trichinella spiralis Infection Suppressed Gut Inflammation with CD4 + CD25 + Foxp3 + T Cell Recruitment ,” The Korean Journal of Parasitology, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 385, 2012.
- Shih-Ping Hung, Ming-Jen Sheu, Ming Chieh Ma, Jui-Ting Hu, Ya-Yun Sun, Chin-Cheng Lee, Yuan-Chiang Chung, Yi-Ju Tsai, Jing-Yuan Wang, and Chih-Li Chen, “Runx1-Deficient Afferents Impair Visceral Nociception, Exacerbating Dextran Sodium Sulfate-Induced Colitis,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2013.
- Sabina A. Mir, Dorottya Nagy-Szakal, Scot E. Dowd, Reka G. Szigeti, and C. Wayne Smith, “Prenatal Methyl-Donor Supplementation Augments Colitis in Young Adult Mice,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 8, 2013.
- Daniela Börnigen, Xochitl C. Morgan, Eric A. Franzosa, Boyu Ren, Ramnik J. Xavier, Wendy S. Garrett, and Curtis Huttenhower, “Functional profiling of the gut microbiome in disease-associated inflammation,” Genome Medicine, vol. 5, no. 7, 2013.
- Mary E. Morgan, Bin Zheng, Pim J. Koelink, Hendrick J. G. van de Kant, Lizette C. J. M. Haazen, Manon van Roest, Johan Garssen, Gert Folkerts, and Aletta D. Kraneveld, “New Perspective on Dextran Sodium Sulfate Colitis: Antigen-Specific T Cell Development during Intestinal Inflammation,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Giovanni Dothel, Valentina Vasina, Giovanni Barbara, and Fabrizio De Ponti, “Animal models of chemically induced intestinal inflammation: Predictivity and ethical issues,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, vol. 139, no. 1, pp. 71–86, 2013.
- Bénédicte Brounais-Le Royer, Dominique D. Pierroz, Dominique Velin, Christophe Frossard, Xin Xiao Zheng, Hans-Anton Lehr, Sylvie Ferrari-Lacraz, and Serge L. Ferrari, “Effects of an Interleukin-15 Antagonist on Systemic and Skeletal Alterations in Mice with DSS-Induced Colitis,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 182, no. 6, pp. 2155–2167, 2013.
- Marc D. Cook, Stephen A. Martin, Collette Williams, Keith Whitlock, Matthew A. Wallig, Brandt A. Pence, and Jeffrey A. Woods, “Forced treadmill exercise training exacerbates inflammation and causes mortality while voluntary wheel training is protective in a mouse model of colitis,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2013.
- Fangcong Dong, Lulu Zhang, Fuhua Hao, Huiru Tang, and Yulan Wang, “ Systemic Responses of Mice to Dextran Sulfate Sodium-Induced Acute Ulcerative Colitis Using 1 H NMR Spectroscopy ,” Journal of Proteome Research, pp. 130517081622002, 2013.
- Leslie Knod, Eileen C. Donovan, Artur Chernoguz, Kelly M. Crawford, Mary R. Dusing, and Jason S. Frischer, “Vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 inhibition in experimental murine colitis,” Journal of Surgical Research, 2013.
- Carla Petrella, Chiara Giuli, Maria Broccardo, Helene Eutamene, Christel Cartier, Mathilde Leveque, Andrea Bedini, Santi Spampinato, Lionel Bueno, Vassilia Theodorou, Giovanna Improta, and Simona Agostini, “Protective and worsening peripheral nociceptin/orphanin FQ receptor-mediated effect in a rat model of experimental colitis,” Pharmacological Research, vol. 70, no. 1, pp. 72–79, 2013.
- Christine Dejea, Elizabeth Wick, and Cynthia L Sears, “Bacterial oncogenesis in the colon,” Future Microbiology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 445–460, 2013.
- Feifei Tao, Cheng Qian, Wenjie Guo, Qiong Luo, Qiang Xu, and Yang Sun, “Inhibition of Th1/Th17 responses via suppression of STAT1 and STAT3 activation contributes to the amelioration of murine experimental colitis by a natural flavonoid glucoside icariin,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 798–807, 2013.
- Audrey Seamons, Piper M. Treuting, Thea Brabb, and Lillian Maggio-Price, “Characterization of Dextran Sodium Sulfate-Induced Inflammation and Colonic Tumorigenesis in Smad3(-/-) Mice with Dysregulated TGF beta,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Yosuke Shimada, Makoto Kinoshita, Kazuo Harada, Masafumi Mizutani, Kazunori Masahata, Hisako Kayama, and Kiyoshi Takeda, “Commensal Bacteria-Dependent Indole Production Enhances Epithelial Barrier Function in the Colon,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 11, 2013.
- Basalingappa M. Kanthesh, Geoffrey I. Sandle, and Vazhaikkurichi M. Rajendran, “Enhanced K+ secretion in dextran sulfate-induced colitis reflects upregulation of large conductance apical K+ channels (BK; Kcnma1),” American Journal of Physiology-Cell Physiology, vol. 305, no. 9, pp. C972–C980, 2013.
- Marta Marin, Rosa Maria Giner, Jose-Luis Rios, and Maria del Carmen Recio, “Protective Effect of Apocynin in a Mouse Model of Chemically-Induced Colitis,” Planta Medica, vol. 79, no. 15, pp. 1392–1400, 2013.
- Takukyu Sha, Keiko Igaki, Masashi Yamasaki, Takeshi Watanabe, and Noboru Tsuchimori, “Establishment and validation of a new semi-chronic dextran sulfate sodium-induced model of colitis in mice,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 23–29, 2013.
- Philipp Lenz, Dominik Bettenworth, Philipp Krausewitz, Markus Brückner, Steffi Ketelhut, Gert von Bally, Dirk Domagk, and Björn Kemper, “Digital holographic microscopy quantifies the degree of inflammation in experimental colitis,” Integrative Biology, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 624, 2013.
- E Macho-Fernandez, E P Koroleva, C M Spencer, M Tighe, E Torrado, A M Cooper, Y-X Fu, and A V Tumanov, “Lymphotoxin beta receptor signaling limits mucosal damage through driving IL-23 production by epithelial cells,” Mucosal Immunology, 2014.
- Liya Zhang, Yanjie Zhang, Wenwei Zhong, Caixia Di, Xiaoliang Lin, and Zhenwei Xia, “Heme Oxygenase-1 Ameliorates Dextran Sulfate Sodium-induced Acute Murine Colitis by Regulating Th17/Treg Cell Balance,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 289, no. 39, pp. 26847–26858, 2014.
- Shelley B. Weisser, Lisa K. Kozicky, Hayley K. Brugger, Eyler N. Ngoh, Bonnie Cheung, Roger Jen, Susan C. Menzies, Asanga Samarakoon, Peter J. Murray, C. James Lim, Pauline Johnson, Jean-Luc Boucher, Nico van Rooijen, and Laura M. Sly, “Arginase activity in alternatively activated macrophages protects PI3Kp110δ deficient mice from dextran sodium sulfate induced intestinal inflammation,” European Journal of Immunology, 2014.
- Jan Sommer, Erika Engelowski, Paul Baran, Christoph Garbers, Doreen M. Floss, and Juergen Scheller, “Interleukin-6, but not the interleukin-6 receptor plays a role in recovery from dextran sodium sulfate-induced colitis,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 651–660, 2014.
- Xiao Xiao, Jonggun Kim, Quancai Sun, Daeyoung Kim, Cheon-Seok Park, Tzong-Shi Lu, and Yeonhwa Park, “Preventive effects of cranberry products on experimental colitis induced by dextran sulphate sodium in mice,” Food Chemistry, 2014.
- Nidhi Goyal, Ajay Rana, Abhilasha Ahlawat, Krishna Reddy V. Bijjem, and Puneet Kumar, “Animal models of inflammatory bowel disease: a review,” Inflammopharmacology, 2014.
- Marianna Parlato, and Garabet Yeretssian, “NOD-Like Receptors in Intestinal Homeostasis and Epithelial Tissue Repair,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 9594–9627, 2014.
- Ye Yang, Sarah Tomkovich, and Christian Jobin, “Could a Swimming Creature Inform Us on Intestinal Diseases? Lessons from Zebrafish,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 956–966, 2014.
- Amr M. Ghaleb, Hamed Laroui, Didier Merlin, and Vincent W. Yang, “Genetic Deletion of Klf4 in the Mouse Intestinal Epithelium Ameliorates Dextran Sodium Sulfate-induced Colitis by Modulating the NF-kappa B Pathway Inflammatory Response,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 811–820, 2014.
- Tiago Rodrigues-Sousa, Ana Filipa Ladeirinha, Ana Raquel Santiago, Helena Carvalheiro, Bruno Raposo, Ana Alarcao, Antonio Cabrita, Rikard Holmdahl, Lina Carvalho, and M. Margarida Souto-Carneiro, “Deficient Production of Reactive Oxygen Species Leads to Severe Chronic DSS-Induced Colitis in Ncf1/p47(phox)-Mutant Mice,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 5, 2014.
- Lia Paola Zambetti, and Alessandra Mortellaro, “NLRPs, microbiota, and gut homeostasis: unravelling the connection,” The Journal of Pathology, 2014.
- Sam X. Cheng, Yaíma L. Lightfoot, Tao Yang, Mojgan Zadeh, Lieqi Tang, Bikash Sahay, Gary P. Wang, Jennifer L. Owen, and Mansour Mohamadzadeh, “Epithelial CaSR deficiency alters intestinal integrity and promotes proinflammatory immune responses,” FEBS Letters, 2014.
- Catherine Felgines, Didier Fraisse, Catherine Besson, Marie-Paule Vasson, and Odile Texier, “Bioavailability of lemon verbena (Aloysia triphylla) polyphenols in rats: impact of colonic inflammation,” British Journal of Nutrition, vol. 111, no. 10, pp. 1773–1781, 2014.
- Bo Xiao, Hamed Laroui, Emilie Viennois, Saravanan Ayyadurai, Moiz A. Charania, Yuchen Zhang, Zhan Zhang, Mark T. Baker, Benyue Zhang, Andrew T. Gewirtz, and Didier Merlin, “Nanoparticles With Surface Antibody Against CD98 and Carrying CD98 Small Interfering RNA Reduce Colitis in Mice,” Gastroenterology, vol. 146, no. 5, pp. 1289–+, 2014.
- Yuli Lin, Xuguang Yang, Wenjie Yue, Xiaofei Xu, Bingji Li, Linlin Zou, and Rui He, “Chemerin aggravates DSS-induced colitis by suppressing M2 macrophage polarization,” Cellular and Molecular Immunology, 2014.
- Mohamed E. Shaker, Sylvia A. Ashamallah, and Maha E. Houssen, “Celastrol ameliorates murine colitis via modulating oxidative stress, inflammatory cytokines and intestinal homeostasis,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 210, pp. 26–33, 2014.
- Yongwoo Jang, and Uhtaek Oh, “Anoctamin 1 in Secretory Epithelia,” Cell Calcium, 2014.
- Lindsey Devisscher, Pieter Hindryckx, Michael A Lynes, Anouk Waeytens, Claude Cuvelier, Filip De Vos, Christian Vanhove, Martine De Vos, and Debby Laukens, “Role of metallothioneins as danger signals in the pathogenesis of colitis,” The Journal of Pathology, 2014.
- T Akimova, H Xiao, Y Liu, T R Bhatti, J Jiao, E Eruslanov, S Singhal, L Wang, R Han, K Zacharia, W W Hancock, and U H Beier, “Targeting sirtuin-1 alleviates experimental autoimmune colitis by induction of Foxp3+ T-regulatory cells,” Mucosal Immunology, 2014.
- Kenta Hino, Atsushi Saito, Rie Asada, Soshi Kanemoto, and Kazunori Imaizumi, “Increased Susceptibility to Dextran Sulfate Sodium-Induced Colitis in the Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Transducer OASIS Deficient Mice,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 2, 2014.
- Luigia De Fazio, Elena Cavazza, Enzo Spisni, Antonio Strillacci, Manuela Centanni, Marco Candela, Chiara Pratico, Massimo Campieri, Chiara Ricci, and Maria Chiara Valerii, “Longitudinal analysis of inflammation and microbiota dynamics in a model of mild chronic dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis in mice,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 2051–2061, 2014.
- Vijay Morampudi, Ganive Bhinder, Xiujuan Wu, Chuanbin Dai, Ho Pan Sham, Bruce A. Vallance, and Kevan Jacobson, “DNBS/TNBS Colitis Models: Providing Insights Into Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Effects of Dietary Fat,” Jove-Journal of Visualized Experiments, no. 84, 2014.
- C.L. Hayes, J.M.M. Natividad, J. Jury, R. Martin, P. Langella, and E.F. Verdu, “Efficacy of Bifidobacterium breve NCC2950 against DSS-induced colitis is dependent on bacterial preparation and timing of administration,” Beneficial Microbes, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 79–88, 2014.
- Chuxin Liu, Liping Xiao, Feida Li, Huanhuan Zhang, Qin Li, Huan Liu, Shujin Fu, Chao Li, Xingju Zhang, Jun Wang, Nicklas H. Staunstrup, Yong Li, and Huanming Yang, “Generation of outbred Ace2 knockout mice by RNA transfection of TALENs displaying colitis reminiscent pathophysiology and inflammation,” Transgenic Research, 2014.
- Kazushiro Takata, Takayuki Tomita, Tatsusada Okuno, Makoto Kinoshita, Toru Koda, Josephe A. Honorat, Masaya Takei, Kouichiro Hagihara, Tomoyuki Sugimoto, Hideki Mochizuki, Saburo Sakoda, and Yuji Nakatsuji, “Dietary Yeasts Reduce Inflammation in Central Nerve System via Microflora,” Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology, 2014.
- Ahlem Boussenna, Nicolas Goncalves-Mendes, Juliette Joubert-Zakeyh, Bruno Pereira, Didier Fraisse, Marie-Paule Vasson, Odile Texier, and Catherine Felgines, “Impact of basal diet on dextran sodium sulphate (DSS)-induced colitis in rats,” European Journal of Nutrition, 2014.
- S.D.A. Elian, E.L.S. Souza, A.T. Vieira, M.M. Teixeira, R.M.E. Arantes, J.R. Nicoli, and F.S. Martins, “Bifidobacterium longum subsp. infantis BB-02 attenuates acute murine experimental model of inflammatory bowel disease,” Beneficial Microbes, vol. 1, no. -1, pp. 1–10, 2014.
- Aline Van Acker, Jessica Filtjens, Sophie Van Welden, Sylvie Taveirne, Els Van Ammel, Mandy Vanhees, Lindsey Devisscher, Tessa Kerre, Tom Taghon, Bart Vandekerckhove, Jean Plum, and Georges Leclercq, “Ly49E Expression on CD8 alpha alpha-Expressing Intestinal Intraepithelial Lymphocytes Plays No Detectable Role in the Development and Progression of Experimentally Induced Inflammatory Bowel Diseases,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 10, 2014.
- John P. Vu, Mulugeta Million, Muriel Larauche, Leon Luong, Joshua Norris, James A. Waschek, Charalabos Pothoulakis, Joseph R. Pisegna, and Patrizia M. Germano, “Inhibition of Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide (VIP) Induces Resistance to Dextran Sodium Sulfate (DSS)-Induced Colitis in Mice,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 37–47, 2014.
- Madonna R. Peter, Mirjana Jerkic, Valentin Sotov, David N. Douda, Daniela S. Ardelean, Niousha Ghamami, Flavia Lakschevitz, Meraj A. Khan, Susan J. Robertson, Michael Glogauer, Dana J. Philpott, Nades Palaniyar, and Michelle Letarte, “ Impaired Resolution of Inflammation in the Endoglin Heterozygous Mouse Model of Chronic Colitis ,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2014, pp. 1–13, 2014.
- Carlo De Salvo, Shuvra Ray, and Theresa T. Pizarro, “Mechanisms and Models for Intestinal Fibrosis in IBD,” Digestive Diseases, vol. 32, pp. 26–34, 2014.
- Puneet Kaur Randhawa, Kavinder Singh, Nirmal Singh, and Amteshwar Singh Jaggi, “A Review on Chemical-Induced Inflammatory Bowel Disease Models in Rodents,” The Korean Journal of Physiology & Pharmacology, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 279, 2014.
- Alexandra Wittmann, Peter A. Bron, Iris I. van Swam, Michiel Kleerebezem, Patrick Adam, Kerstin Gronbach, Sarah Menz, Isabell Flade, Annika Bender, Andrea Schäfer, Ali Giray Korkmaz, Raphael Parusel, Ingo B. Autenrieth, and Julia-Stefanie Frick, “TLR Signaling-induced CD103-expressing Cells Protect Against Intestinal Inflammation,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 507–519, 2015.
- Eiman A. Hasby, Marwa A. Hasby, Zeinab Shohieb, and Kholoud El Noby, “Foxp3+ T regulatory cells and Immunomodualation after Schistosoma Mansoni Egg Antigen Immunization in Experimental Model of Inflammatory Bowel Disease,” Cellular Immunology, 2015.
- Jaana Rautava, Lee J Pinnell, Linda Vong, Nadia Akseer, Amit Assa, and Philip M Sherman, “Oral microbiome composition changes in mouse models of colitis,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 521–527, 2015.
- Katarzyna Oficjalska, Mathilde Raverdeau, Gabriella Aviello, Siobhan C. Wade, Ana Hickey, Katherine M. Sheehan, Sinead C. Corr, Elaine W. Kay, Luke A. O'Neill, Kingston H. G. Mills, and Emma M. Creagh, “Protective Role for Caspase-11 during Acute Experimental Murine Colitis,” Journal Of Immunology, vol. 194, no. 3, pp. 1252–1260, 2015.
- Louise M. Judd, Heather V. Chalinor, Anna Walduck, Daniel I. Pavlic, Jan Daebritz, Zinaida Dubeykovskaya, Timothy C. Wang, Trevelyan R. Menheniott, and Andrew S. Giraud, “TFF2 deficiency exacerbates weight loss and alters immune cell and cytokine profiles in DSS colitis, and this cannot be rescued by wild-type bone marr,” American Journal Of Physiology-Gastrointestinal And Liver Physiology, vol. 308, no. 1, pp. G12–G24, 2015.
- Karl Blirando, Elodie Mintet, Valérie Buard, Jean-Christophe Sabourin, Marc Benderitter, Fabien Milliat, and Agnès François, “Osteopontin Knockout Does Not Influence the Severity of Rectal Damage in a Preclinical Model of Radiation Proctitis in Mice,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 2015.
- Jessica I. Grill, Jens Neumann, Felix Hiltwein, Frank T. Kolligs, and Marlon R. Schneider, “Intestinal E-cadherin Deficiency Aggravates Dextran Sodium Sulfate-Induced Colitis,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 2015.
- M. Nakanishi, C. Perret, E. J. Meuillet, and D. W. Rosenberg, “Non-cell autonomous effects of targeting inducible PGE2 synthesis during inflammation-associated colon carcinogenesis,” Carcinogenesis, 2015.
- Dana Ben-Ami Shor, Tomer Bashi, Jordan Lachnish, Mati Fridkin, Giorgia Bizzaro, Iris Barshak, Miri Blank, and Yehuda Shoenfeld, “Phosphorylcholine-tuftsin compound prevents development of dextransulfate-sodium-salt induced murine colitis: Implications for the treatment of human ,” Journal Of Autoimmunity, vol. 56, pp. 111–117, 2015.
- Andrea Buda, Sonia Facchin, Elisa Dassie, Elisabetta Casarin, Mark A. Jepson, Helmut Neumann, Giorgia Hatem, Stefano Realdon, Renata D'Inca, Giacomo Carlo Sturniolo, and Margherita Morpurgo, “Detection of a fluorescent-labeled avidin-nucleic acid nanoassembly by confocal laser endomicroscopy in the microvasculature of chronically inflamed i,” International Journal Of Nanomedicine, vol. 10, pp. 399–408, 2015.