- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 767369, 8 pages
Intrabone Transplant of Cord Blood Stem Cells Establishes a Local Engraftment Store: A Functional PET/FDG Study
1CNR Institute of Bioimages and Molecular Physiology, Section of Genoa, Via De Marini 6, 16149 Genoa, Italy
2Istituto Giannina Gaslini, Largo Gerolamo Gaslini, 16148 Genoa, Italy
3Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Genoa, Largo R. Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
4Department of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, San Martino Hospital, Largo R. Benzi, 16132 Genoa, Italy
5Department of Mathematics, University of Genoa, Via Dodecaneso 35, 16146 Genoa, Italy
6Advanced Biotechnology Center, Largo R. Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Received 8 May 2012; Accepted 31 May 2012
Academic Editor: Somayeh Shahrokhi
Copyright © 2012 Cecilia Marini et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Wagner, N. A. Kernan, M. Steinbuch, H. E. Broxmeyer, and E. Gluckman, “Allogeneic sibling umbilical-cord-blood transplantation in children with malignant and non-malignant disease,” The Lancet, vol. 346, no. 8969, pp. 214–219, 1995.
- J. Kurtzberg, M. Laughlin, M. L. Graham et al., “Placental blood as a source of hematopoietic stem cells for transplantation into unrelated recipients,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 335, no. 3, pp. 157–166, 1996.
- J. E. Wagner, J. Rosenthal, R. Sweetman et al., “Successful transplantation of HLA-matched and HLA-mismatched umbilical cord blood from unrelated donors: analysis of engraftment and acute graft- versus-host disease,” Blood, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 795–802, 1996.
- E. Gluckman and V. Rocha, “Cord blood transplantation:state of the art,” Haematologica, vol. 94, no. 4, pp. 451–454, 2009.
- E. Gluckman, V. Rocha, A. Boyer-Chammard et al., “Outcome of cord-blood transplantation from related and unrelated donors,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 337, no. 6, pp. 373–381, 1997.
- M. J. Laughlin, J. Barker, B. Bambach et al., “Hematopoietic engraftment and survival in adult recipients of umbilical-cord blood from unrelated donors,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 24, pp. 1815–1822, 2001.
- V. Rocha, M. Labopin, G. Sanz et al., “Transplants of umbilical-cord blood or bone marrow from unrelated donors in adults with acute leukemia,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 351, no. 22, pp. 2276–2285, 2004.
- J. E. Wagner, J. N. Barker, T. E. DeFor et al., “Transplantation of unrelated donor umbilical cord blood in 102 patients with malignant and nonmalignant diseases: influence of CD34 cell dose and HLA disparity on treatment-related mortality and survival,” Blood, vol. 100, no. 5, pp. 1611–1618, 2002.
- V. Rocha, J. Cornish, E. L. Sievers et al., “Comparison of outcomes of unrelated bone marrow and umbilical cord blood transplants in children with acute leukemia,” Blood, vol. 97, no. 10, pp. 2962–2971, 2001.
- H. Hägglund, O. Ringdén, B. Ågren et al., “Intraosseous compared to intravenous infusion of allogeneic bone marrow,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 331–335, 1998.
- F. Frassoni, M. Podestà, R. Maccario et al., “Cord blood transplantation provides better reconstitution of hematopoietic reservoir compared with bone marrow transplantation,” Blood, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 1138–1141, 2003.
- S. Castello, M. Podestà, V. G. Menditto et al., “Intra-bone marrow injection of bone marrow and cord blood cells: an alternative way of transplantation associated with a higher seeding efficiency,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 32, no. 8, pp. 782–787, 2004.
- F. Frassoni, F. Gualandi, M. Podestà et al., “Direct intrabone transplant of unrelated cord-blood cells in acute leukaemia: a phase I/II study,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 9, no. 9, pp. 831–839, 2008.
- F. Frassoni, R. Varaldo, F. Gualandi et al., “The intra-bone marrow injection of cord blood cells extends the possibility of transplantation to the majority of patients with malignant hematopoietic diseases,” Best Practice and Research, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 237–244, 2010.
- M. Massollo, M. Podestà, C. Marini et al., “Contact with the bone marrow microenvironment readdresses the fate of transplanted hematopoietic stem cells,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 968–977, 2010.
- J. C. M. Van der Loo and R. E. Ploemacher, “Marrow- and spleen-seeding efficiencies of all murine hematopoietic stem cell subsets are decreased by preincubation with hematopoietic growth factors,” Blood, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 2598–2606, 1995.
- P. B. Van Hennik, A. E. De Koning, and R. E. Ploemacher, “Seeding efficiency of primitive human hematopoietic cells in nonobese diabetic/severe combined immune deficiency mice: implications for stem cell frequency assessment,” Blood, vol. 94, no. 9, pp. 3055–3061, 1999.
- P. Rubinstein, L. Dobrila, R. E. Rosenfield et al., “Processing and cryopreservation of placental/umbilical cord blood for unrelated bone marrow reconstitution,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 92, no. 22, pp. 10119–10122, 1995.
- E. A. Kidd and P. W. Grigsby, “Intratumoral metabolic heterogeneity of cervical cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 16, pp. 5236–5241, 2008.
- H. Glucksberg, R. Storb, and A. Fefer, “Clinical manifestations of graft versus host disease in human recipients of marrow from HLA matched sibling donors,” Transplantation, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 295–304, 1974.
- P. G. Camici, “Positron emission tomography and myocardial imaging,” Heart, vol. 83, no. 4, pp. 475–480, 2000.
- A. Agool, A. W. J. M. Glaudemans, H. H. Boersma, R. A. J. O. Dierckx, E. Vellenga, and R. H. J. A. Slart, “Radionuclide imaging of bone marrow disorders,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 166–178, 2011.
- A. Agool, B. W. Schot, P. L. Jager, and E. Vellenga, “18F-FLT PET in hematologic disorders: a novel technique to analyze the bone marrow compartment,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 1592–1598, 2006.
- S. Basu, M. Houseni, G. Bural et al., “Magnetic resonance imaging based bone marrow segmentation for quantitative calculation of pure red marrow metabolism using 2-deoxy-2-[F-18]fluoro-d-glucose-positron emission tomography: a novel application with significant implications for combined structure-function approach,” Molecular Imaging and Biology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 361–365, 2007.
- P. Ramírez, C. G. Brunstein, B. Miller, T. Defor, and D. Weisdorf, “Delayed platelet recovery after allogeneic transplantation: a predictor of increased treatment-related mortality and poorer survival,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 981–986, 2011.
- G. Tricot, S. Jagannath, D. Vesole et al., “Peripheral blood stem cell transplants for multiple myeloma: identification of favorable variables for rapid engraftment in 225 patients,” Blood, vol. 85, no. 2, pp. 588–596, 1995.
- J. Jansen, S. G. Hanks, L. P. Akard et al., “Slow platelet recovery after PBPC transplantation from unrelated donors,” Bone Marrow Transplantation, vol. 43, no. 6, pp. 499–505, 2009.