- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 797410, 12 pages
Controlling Self-Renewal and Differentiation of Stem Cells via Mechanical Cues
LaBS, Department of Structural Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, 20133 Milano, Italy
Received 15 June 2012; Revised 20 July 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Douglas W. Hamilton
Copyright © 2012 Michele M. Nava et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [31 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Giuseppe Maria de Peppo, and Darja Marolt, “Modulating the biochemical and biophysical culture environment to enhance osteogenic differentiation and maturation of human pluripotent stem cell-derived mesenchymal progenitors,” Stem Cell Research & Therapy, vol. 4, 2013.
- Andrew M. Higgins, Brittany L. Banik, and Justin L. Brown, “Nanotopography Sensing Through Intracellular Signaling and Mechanotransduction with an Emphasis on Bone,” Journal of Biomaterials and Tissue Engineering, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 396–408, 2013.
- Zhe A. Cheng, Omar F. Zouani, Karine Glinel, Alain M. Jonas, and Marie-Christine Durrieu, “Bioactive chemical nanopatterns impact human mesenchymal stem cell fate,” Nano Letters, vol. 13, no. 8, pp. 3923–3929, 2013.
- Benjamin Holmes, Nathan J Castro, Jian Li, Michael Keidar, and Lijie Grace Zhang, “Enhanced human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell functions in novel 3D cartilage scaffolds with hydrogen treated multi-walled carbon nanotubes,” Nanotechnology, vol. 24, no. 36, pp. 365102, 2013.
- Hidetoshi Shimauchi, Eiji Nemoto, Hiroshi Ishihata, and Masatsugu Shimomura, “Possible functional scaffolds for periodontal regeneration,” Japanese Dental Science Review, 2013.
- Alessandra Fabbro, Maurizio Prato, and Laura Ballerini, “Carbon nanotubes in neuroregeneration and repair,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, 2013.
- Petra Mueller, Anne Langenbach, Alexander Kaminski, and Joachim Rychly, “Modulating the Actin Cytoskeleton Affects Mechanically Induced Signal Transduction and Differentiation in Mesenchymal Stem Cells,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Soneela Ankam, Benjamin KK Teo, Marek Kukumberg, and Evelyn KF Yim, “High throughput screening to investigate the interaction of stem cells with their extracellular microenvironment,” Organogenesis, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 128–142, 2013.
- Huanhuan Liu, Yanzhong Zhang, Hong Wei OuYang, Hongju Peng, Yan Wu, Can Zhang, Youzhi Cai, Guowei Xu, Qin Li, Xiao Chen, and Junfeng Ji, “The promotion of bone regeneration by nanofibrous hydroxyapatite/chitosan scaffolds by effects on integrin-BMP/Smad signaling pathway in BMSCs,” Biomaterials, vol. 34, no. 18, pp. 4404–4417, 2013.
- Eriberto Bressan, Amedeo Carraro, Letizia Ferroni, Chiara Gardin, Luca Sbricoli, Riccardo Guazzo, Edoardo Stellini, Marco Roman, Paolo Pinton, Stefano Sivolella, and Barbara Zavan, “Nanotechnology to drive stem cell commitment,” Nanomedicine, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 469–486, 2013.
- Nicholas J. Schaub, Tara Britton, Rupak Rajachar, and Ryan J. Gilbert, “Engineered Nanotopography on Electrospun PLLA Microfibers Modifies RAW 264.7 Cell Response,” Acs Applied Materials & Interfaces, vol. 5, no. 20, pp. 10173–10184, 2013.
- Eriberto Bressan, Luca Sbricoli, Riccardo Guazzo, Ilaria Tocco, Marco Roman, Vincenzo Vindigni, Edoardo Stellini, Chiara Gardin, Letizia Ferroni, Stefano Sivolella, and Barbara Zavan, “Nanostructured Surfaces of Dental Implants,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1918–1931, 2013.
- Manuela Teresa Raimondi, Giovanna Balconi, Federica Boschetti, Antonio Di Metri, Salman Afroze Azmi Mohammed, Virginio Quaglini, Lucio Araneo, Beatriz G. Galvez, Monica Lupi, Roberto Latini, and Andrea Remuzzi, “An opto-structural method to estimate the stress-strain field induced by cell contraction on substrates of controlled stiffness in vitro,” Journal of Applied Biomaterials & Functional Materials, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 143–150, 2013.
- Jeong Mook Lim, Ji Yeon Ahn, and Seung Tae Lee, “Stem cell maintenance in a different niche,” Clinical and Experimental Reproductive Medicine, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 47, 2013.
- D. S. Kostyushev, V. N. Simirskii, S. Song, M. A. Paltsev, D. A. Gnatenko, and S. V. Suchkov, “Stem cells and microenvironment: Integration of biochemical and mechanical factors,” Biology Bulletin Reviews, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 263–275, 2014.
- In-Su Park, Jo A. Kang, Jungmi Kang, Jong-Won Rhie, and Sang-Heon Kim, “Therapeutic Effect of Human Adipose-Derived Stromal Cells Cluster in Rat Hind-Limb Ischemia,” The Anatomical Record, 2014.
- Cláudia Correia, Margarida Serra, Nuno Espinha, Marcos Sousa, Catarina Brito, Karsten Burkert, Yunjie Zheng, Jürgen Hescheler, Manuel J. T. Carrondo, Tomo Šarić, and Paula M. Alves, “Combining Hypoxia and Bioreactor Hydrodynamics Boosts Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Differentiation Towards Cardiomyocytes,” Stem Cell Reviews and Reports, 2014.
- Manuela T. Raimondi, Michele M. Nava, Shane M. Eaton, Arianna Bernasconi, Krishna C. Vishnubhatla, Giulio Cerullo, and Roberto Osellame, “Optimization of Femtosecond Laser Polymerized Structural Niches to Control Mesenchymal Stromal Cell Fate in Culture,” Micromachines, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 341–358, 2014.
- Valeria HernÃ¡ndez-HernÃ¡ndez, Denisse Rueda, Lorena Caballero, Elena R. Alvarez-Buylla, and Mariana BenÃtez, “Mechanical forces as information: an integrated approach to plant and animal development,” Frontiers in Plant Science, vol. 5, 2014.
- Dhakshinamoorthy Sundaramurthi, Uma Maheswari Krishnan, and Swaminathan Sethuraman, “Electrospun Nanofibers as Scaffolds for Skin Tissue Engineering,” Polymer Reviews, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 348–376, 2014.
- Michele M. Nava, Manuela T. Raimondi, and Riccardo Pietrabissa, “Bio-chemo-mechanical models for nuclear deformation in adherent eukaryotic cells,” Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 2014.
- Hsiu-Wen Chien, Szu-Wei Fu, Ai-Yun Shih, and Wei-Bor Tsai, “Modulation of the stemness and osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells by controlling RGD concentrations of poly(carboxybetaine) hydrogel,” Biotechnology Journal, 2014.
- Bum Jin Kim, Sangsik Kim, Dongyeop X. Oh, Admir Masic, Hyung Joon Cha, and Dong Soo Hwang, “
Mussel-inspired adhesive protein-based electrospun nanofibers reinforced by Fe(
iii)–DOPA complexation ,” J. Mater. Chem. B, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 112–118, 2014.
- Osama Mohamad, Shan Ping Yu, Dongdong Chen, Molly Ogle, Mingke Song, and Ling Wei, “Efficient neuronal differentiation of mouse ES and iPS cells using a rotary cell culture protocol,” Differentiation, 2014.
- Ai Wen Tan, Lelia Tay, Kien Hui Chua, Roslina Ahmad, Sheikh Ali Akbar, and Belinda Pingguan-Murphy, “Proliferation and stemness preservation of human adipose-derived stem cells by surface-modified in situ TiO2 nanofibrous surfaces,” International Journal Of Nanomedicine, vol. 9, pp. 5389–5401, 2014.
- Edward T. Stace, Stephanie G. Dakin, Pierre-Alexis Mouthuy, and Andrew J. Carr, “Translating Regenerative Biomaterials Into Clinical Practice,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 231, no. 1, pp. 36–49, 2015.
- Ana Paula Ressetti Abud, Jaiesa Zych, Thamile Luciane Reus, Crisciele Kuligovski, Elizabeth de Moraes, Bruno Dallagiovanna, and Alessandra Melo de Aguiar, “The use of human adipose-derived stem cells based cytotoxicity assay for acute toxicity test,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, 2015.
- Mona Jaggy, Ping Zhang, Alexandra M. Greiner, Tatjana J. Autenrieth, Victoria Nedashkivska, Alexander N. Efremov, Christine Blattner, Martin Bastmeyer, and Pavel A. Levkin, “Hierarchical Micro-Nano Surface Topography Promotes Long-Term Maintenance of Undifferentiated Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells,” Nano Letters, pp. 150923142531009, 2015.
- Yang Chao, Zhang Xiaohan, Guo Yichen, Meng Fanjie, Sachs Frederick, and Guo Jun, “Mechanical dynamics in live cells and Fluorescence-Based Force/Tension Sensors,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Cell Research, 2015.
- Michele M Nava, Manuela T Raimondi, Caterina Credi, Carmela De Marco, Stefano Turri, Giulio Cerullo, and Roberto Osellame, “Interactions between structural and chemical biomimetism in synthetic stem cell niches,” Biomedical Materials, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 015012, 2015.
- Yi Yuan, and Rei Ogawa, “Tissue-Engineered Breast Reconstruction,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 236e–237e, 2015.