- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 820821, 13 pages
Expression of Neural Markers by Undifferentiated Rat Mesenchymal Stem Cells
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, Facoltà di Medicina e Chirurgia, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Via Cadore 48, 20052 Monza, Italy
Received 14 March 2012; Revised 13 September 2012; Accepted 13 September 2012
Academic Editor: Michael D. Coleman
Copyright © 2012 Dana Foudah et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Brooke, M. Cook, C. Blair et al., “Therapeutic applications of mesenchymal stromal cells,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 846–858, 2007.
- Y. L. Si, Y. L. Zhao, H. J. Hao, X. B. Fu, and W. D. Han, “MSCs: biological characteristics, clinical applications and their outstanding concerns,” Ageing Research Reviews, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 93–103, 2011.
- O. Bugos, M. Bhide, and N. Zilka, “Beyond the rat models of human neurodegenerative disorders,” Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology, vol. 29, no. 6-7, pp. 859–869, 2009.
- B. Zavan, C. Giorgi, G. P. Bagnara, V. Vindigni, G. Abatangelo, and R. Cortivo, “Osteogenic and chondrogenic differentiation: comparison of human and rat bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells cultured into polymeric scaffolds,” European Journal of Histochemistry, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2007.
- D. Foudah, S. Redaelli, E. Donzelli et al., “Monitoring the genomic stability of in vitro cultured rat bone-marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells,” Chromosome Research, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 1025–1039, 2009.
- E. Karaoz, A. Aksoy, S. Ayhan, A. E. SarIboyacI, F. Kaymaz, and M. Kasap, “Characterization of mesenchymal stem cells from rat bone marrow: ultrastructural properties, differentiation potential and immunophenotypic markers,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 132, no. 5, pp. 533–546, 2009.
- B. Neuhuber, G. Gallo, L. Howard, L. Kostura, A. Mackay, and I. Fischer, “Reevaluation of in vitro differentiation protocols for bone marrow stromal cells: disruption of actin cytoskeleton induces rapid morphological changes and mimics neuronal phenotype,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 192–204, 2004.
- Z. Lei, L. Yongda, M. Jun et al., “Culture and neural differentiation of rat bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in vitro,” Cell Biology International, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 916–923, 2007.
- G. F. Barnabé, T. T. Schwindt, M. E. Calcagnotto et al., “Chemically-induced RAT mesenchymal stem cells adopt molecular properties of neuronal-like cells but do not have basic neuronal functional properties,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 4, Article ID e5222, 2009.
- M. G. Thomas, L. Stone, L. Evill, S. Ong, M. Ziman, and L. Hool, “Bone marrow stromal cells as replacement cells for Parkinson's disease: generation of an anatomical but not functional neuronal phenotype,” Translational Research, vol. 157, no. 2, pp. 56–63, 2011.
- S. Wislet-Gendebien, P. Leprince, G. Moonen, and B. Rogister, “Regulation of neural markers nestin and GFAP expression by cultivated bone marrow stromal cells,” Journal of Cell Science, vol. 116, no. 16, pp. 3295–3302, 2003.
- P. Lu, A. Blesch, and M. H. Tuszynski, “Induction of bone marrow stromal cells to neurons: differentiation, transdifferentiation, or artifact?” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 174–191, 2004.
- A. P. Croft and S. A. Przyborski, “Formation of neurons by non-neural adult stem cells: potential mechanism implicates an artifact of growth in culture,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 8, pp. 1841–1851, 2006.
- G. E. Rooney, L. Howard, T. O'Brien, A. J. Windebank, and F. P. Barry, “Elevation of cAMP in mesenchymal stem cells transiently upregulates neural markers rather than inducing neural differentiation,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 387–398, 2009.
- G. Nicolini, R. Rigolio, A. Scuteri et al., “Effect of trans-resveratrol on signal transduction pathways involved in paclitaxel-induced apoptosis in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 419–429, 2003.
- F. Ronca, S. L. Chan, and V. C. Yu, “1-(5-Isoquinolinesulfonyl)-2-methylpiperazine induces apoptosis in human neuroblastoma cells, SH-SY5Y, through a p53-dependent pathway,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 272, no. 7, pp. 4252–4260, 1997.
- M. Dominici, K. Le Blanc, I. Mueller et al., “Minimal criteria for defining multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells. The International Society for Cellular Therapy position statement,” Cytotherapy, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 315–317, 2006.
- C. D. Katsetos, A. Legido, E. Perentes, and S. J. Mörk, “Class III β-tubulin isotype: a key cytoskeletal protein at the crossroads of developmental neurobiology and tumor neuropathology,” Journal of Child Neurology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 851–866, 2003.
- R. J. Mullen, C. R. Buck, and A. M. Smith, “NeuN, a neuronal specific nuclear protein in vertebrates,” Development, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 201–211, 1992.
- M. K. Lee and D. W. Cleveland, “Neuronal intermediate filaments,” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 19, pp. 187–217, 1996.
- L. F. Eng, R. S. Ghirnikar, and Y. L. Lee, “Glial fibrillary acidic protein: GFAP-thirty-one years (1969–2000),” Neurochemical Research, vol. 25, no. 9-10, pp. 1439–1451, 2000.
- R. Donato, “S100: a multigenic family of calcium-modulated proteins of the EF-hand type with intracellular and extracellular functional roles,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 637–668, 2001.
- J. Sodek, B. Ganss, and M. D. McKee, “Osteopontin,” Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 279–303, 2000.
- P. V. Hauschka, “Osteocalcin: the vitamin K-dependent Ca2+-binding protein of bone matrix,” Haemostasis, vol. 16, no. 3-4, pp. 258–272, 1986.
- E. D. Rosen and B. M. Spiegelman, “PPARγ: a nuclear regulator of metabolism, differentiation, and cell growth,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 41, pp. 37731–37734, 2001.
- C. Wiese, A. Rolletschek, G. Kania et al., “Nestin expression—a property of multi-lineage progenitor cells?” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 61, no. 19-20, pp. 2510–2522, 2004.
- B. K. Dredge and K. B. Jensen, “NeuN/Rbfox3 Nuclear and Cytoplasmic isoforms differentially regulate alternative splicing and nonsense-mediated decay of Rbfox2,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 6, Article ID e21585, 2011.
- N. R. Blondheim, Y. S. Levy, T. Ben-Zur et al., “Human mesenchymal stem cells express neural genes, suggesting a neural predisposition,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 141–164, 2006.
- T. Tondreau, L. Lagneaux, M. Dejenefle et al., “Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells already express specific neural proteins before any differentiation,” Differentiation, vol. 72, no. 7, pp. 319–326, 2004.
- Y. Takashima, T. Era, K. Nakao et al., “Neuroepithelial cells supply an initial transient wave of MSC differentiation,” Cell, vol. 129, no. 7, pp. 1377–1388, 2007.
- S. Morikawa, Y. Mabuchi, K. Niibe et al., “Development of mesenchymal stem cells partially originate from the neural crest,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 379, no. 4, pp. 1114–1119, 2009.
- C. J. Schoenherr and D. J. Anderson, “The neuron-restrictive silencer factor (NRSF): a coordinate repressor of multiple neuron-specific genes,” Science, vol. 267, no. 5202, pp. 1360–1363, 1995.
- F. M. J. Lamoury, J. Croitoru-Lamoury, and B. J. Brew, “Undifferentiated mouse mesenchymal stem cells spontaneously express neural and stem cell markers Oct-4 and Rex-1,” Cytotherapy, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 228–242, 2006.
- L. Fu, L. Zhu, Y. Huang, T. D. Lee, S. J. Forman, and C. C. Shih, “Derivation of neural stem cells from mesenchymal stem cells: evidence for a bipotential stem cell population,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 1109–1121, 2008.