- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 823949, 6 pages
Detection of Herplex Simplex Virus-1 and -2 in Cardiac Myxomas
1Molecular Carcinogenesis Group, Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 11527, Greece
2First Department of Pathology, “Laiko” University Hospital, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 11527 Athens, Greece
3Department of Cytopathology, “Attikon” University Hospital, 12464 Athens, Greece
4Experimental-Research Center, ELPEN Pharma, 19009 Pikermi, Greece
Received 13 November 2011; Accepted 26 November 2011
Academic Editor: Aristides Eliopoulos
Copyright © 2012 Ioannis S. Pateras et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. A. Ekmektzoglou, G. F. Samelis, and T. Xanthos, “Heart and tumors: location, metastasis, clinical manifestations, diagnostic approaches and therapeutic considerations,” Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 769–777, 2008.
- F. Fernandas, H. N. Saufen, B. M. Ianni, E. Arteaga, F. J. A. Ramires, and C. Mady, “Primary neoplasms of the heart. Clinical and histological presentation of 50 cases,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 235–237, 2001.
- P. Blondeau, “Primary cardiac tumors—French studies of 533 cases,” Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgeon, Supplement, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 192–195, 1990.
- T. Mabuchi, M. Shimizu, H. Ino et al., “PRKAR1A gene mutation in patients with cardiac myxoma,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 102, no. 2, pp. 273–277, 2005.
- S. G. Stergiopoulos and C. A. Stratakis, “Human tumors associated with Carney complex and germline PRKAR1A mutations: a protein kinase A disease,” FEBS Letters, vol. 546, no. 1, pp. 59–64, 2003.
- G. D. Angelini, A. G. Fraser, E. G. Butchart, and A. H. Henderson, “A report and review of recurrent left atrial myxoma: not always such 'a benign tumor',” European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 465–468, 1988.
- D. M. Krikler, J. Rode, M. J. Davies, N. Woolf, and Moss, “Atrial myxoma: a tumour in search of its origins,” British Heart Journal, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 89–91, 1992.
- R. J. Whitley, D. W. Kimberlin, and B. Roizman, “Herpes simplex viruses,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 541–555, 1998.
- Y. Li, Z. Pan, Y. Ji et al., “Herpes simplex virus type 1 infection associated with atrial myxoma,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 163, no. 6, pp. 2407–2412, 2003.
- V. G. Gorgoulis, P. Zacharatos, A. Kotsinas et al., “Alterations of the p16-pRb pathway and the chromosome locus 9p21-22 in non-small-cell lung carcinomas: relationship with p53 and MDM2 protein expression,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 153, no. 6, pp. 1749–1765, 1998.
- V. G. Gorgoulis, P. Zacharatos, G. Mariatos et al., “Transcription factor E2F-1 acts as a growth-promoting factor and is associated with adverse prognosis in non-small cell lung carcinomas,” Journal of Pathology, vol. 198, no. 2, pp. 142–156, 2002.
- H. H. Kessler, G. Mühlbauer, B. Rinner et al., “Detection of herpes simplex virus DNA by real-time PCR,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 2638–2642, 2000.
- L. M. Terracciano, P. Mhawech, K. Suess et al., “Calretinin as a marker for cardiac myxoma: diagnostic and histogenetic considerations,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 114, no. 5, pp. 754–759, 2000.
- U. P. Schurr, D. A. Berdajs, B. Bode, O. Dzemali, M. Y. Emmert, and M. Genoni, “No association between herpes simplex virus 1 and cardiac myxoma,” Swiss Medical Weekly, vol. 141, article w13223, 2011.
- V. Bergonzini, C. Salata, A. Calistri, C. Parolin, and G. Palù, “View and review on viral oncology research,” Infectious Agents and Cancer, vol. 5, no. 1, article no. 11, 2010.
- N. Boullanger, D. El Kouri, F. Gaillard, J. L. Michaud, and B. Planchon, “Atrial myxoma mimicking systemic disease: profile modified by flurbiprofen administration,” Chest, vol. 109, no. 5, pp. 1400–1401, 1996.
- M. Baker, S. Noisakran, B. M. Gebhardt, J. D. Kriesel, and D. J. J. Carr, “The relationship between interleukin-6 and herpes simplex virus type 1: implications for behavior and immunopathology,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 201–211, 1999.
- H. J. Karga, P. Papaioannou, M. Karayianni et al., “Ras oncogenes and p53 tumor suppressor gene analysis in cardiac myxomas,” Pathology Research and Practice, vol. 196, no. 9, pp. 601–605, 2000.
- F. Colotta, P. Allavena, A. Sica, C. Garlanda, and A. Mantovani, “Cancer-related inflammation, the seventh hallmark of cancer: links to genetic instability,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1073–1081, 2009.
- S. Negrini, V. G. Gorgoulis, and T. D. Halazonetis, “Genomic instability an evolving hallmark of cancer,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 220–228, 2010.
- L. M. Kattenhorn, G. A. Korbel, B. M. Kessler, E. Spooner, and H. L. Ploegh, “A deubiquitinating enzyme encoded by HSV-1 belongs to a family of cysteine proteases that is conserved across the family Herpesviridae,” Molecular Cell, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 547–557, 2005.
- E. Acebo, J. F. Val-Bernal, J. J. Gómez-Román, and J. M. Revuelta, “Clinicopathologic study and DNA analysis of 37 cardiac myxomas: a 28-year experience,” Chest, vol. 123, no. 5, pp. 1379–1385, 2003.
- J. D. Seidman, J. J. Berman, C. L. Hitchcock et al., “DNA analysis of cardiac myxomas: flow cytometry and image analysis,” Human Pathology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 494–500, 1991.
- P. G. Spear, “Herpes simplex virus: receptors and ligands for cell entry,” Cellular Microbiology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 401–410, 2004.
- M. Hashido, F. K. Lee, A. J. Nahmias et al., “An epidemiologic study of herpes simplex virus type 1 and 2 infection in Japan based on type-specific serological assays,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 179–186, 1998.
- E. I. Grodums and A. Zbitnew, “Experimental herpes simplex virus carditis in mice,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 1322–1331, 1976.
- R. G. Kelly, “Molecular inroads into the anterior heart field,” Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 51–56, 2005.
- M. Jones, P. Perumal, and M. Vrontakis, “Presence of galanin-like immunoreactivity in mesenchymal and neural crest origin tissues during embryonic development in the mouse,” Anatomical Record, vol. 292, no. 4, pp. 481–487, 2009.
- X. Jiang, D. H. Rowitch, P. Soriano, A. P. McMahon, and H. M. Sucov, “Fate of the mammalian cardiac neural crest,” Development, vol. 127, no. 8, pp. 1607–1616, 2000.
- H. J. Rupprecht, S. Blankenberg, C. Bickel et al., “Impact of viral and bacterial infectious burden on long-term prognosis in patients with coronary artery disease,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 25–31, 2001.
- J. Zhu, F. J. Nieto, B. D. Horne, J. L. Anderson, J. B. Muhlestein, and S. E. Epstein, “Prospective study of pathogen burden and risk of myocardial infarction or death,” Circulation, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 45–51, 2001.