- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 845618, 10 pages
Classic and New Animal Models of Parkinson's Disease
1Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
2Center for Motor Neuron Biology and Disease, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
3Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, NY 10032, USA
Received 9 January 2012; Accepted 23 January 2012
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2012 Javier Blesa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [56 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Kurt A. Jellinger, “Potential role of α-synuclein in neurodegeneration: studies in a rat animal model,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 659–660, 2012.
- Quinton R.D. Jones, Jordan Warford, H.P. Vasantha Rupasinghe, and George S. Robertson, “Target-based selection of flavonoids for neurodegenerative disorders,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 602–610, 2012.
- P. Rojas, E. Ruiz-Sánchez, C. Rojas, and S.O. Ögren, “Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) modulates the expression of dopamine-related genes in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-induced Parkinsonism in mice,” Neuroscience, vol. 223, pp. 246–257, 2012.
- Andrea L. Nuckolls, Cole Worley, Christopher Leto, Hongyu Zhang, Jill K. Morris, and John A. Stanford, “Tongue force and tongue motility are differently affected by unilateral vs bilateral nigrostriatal dopamine depletion in rats,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 234, no. 2, pp. 343–348, 2012.
- Isabelle St-Amour, Melanie Bousquet, Isabelle Pare, Janelle Drouin-Ouellet, Francesca Cicchetti, Renee Bazin, and Frederic Calon, “Impact of intravenous immunoglobulin on the dopaminergic system and immune response in the acute MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neuroinflammation, vol. 9, 2012.
- Maria Galuppo, Renato Iori, Gina Rosalinda De Nicola, and Placido Bramanti, “Anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic effects of (R-s)-glucoraphanin bioacti vated with myrosinase in murine sub-acute and acute MPTP-induced Parkinson' s disease,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 21, no. 17, pp. 5532–5547, 2013.
- Puneet Bagga, Anup N. Chugani, Komanduri S. Varadarajan, and Anant B. Patel, “ In vivo NMR studies of regional cerebral energetics in MPTP model of Parkinson's disease: recovery of cerebral metabolism with acute levodopa treatment ,” Journal of Neurochemistry, 2013.
- Md Shahaduzzaman, Sandra Acosta, Paula C. Bickford, and Cesar V. Borlongan, “α-Synuclein is a pathological link and therapeutic target for Parkinson’s disease and traumatic brain injury,” Medical Hypotheses, 2013.
- Ana Clara Cristóvão, Joana Barata, Goun Je, and Yoon-Seong Kim, “PKCδ mediates paraquat-induced Nox1 expression in dopaminergic neurons,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 2013.
- Paul McGonigle, “Animal Models of CNS Disorders,” Biochemical Pharmacology, 2013.
- Kai-Li Ma, Jia-Hong Gao, Zhang-Qiong Huang, Ying Zhang, De-Xuan Kuang, Qin-Fang Jiang, Yuan-Yuan Han, Cong Li, Wen-Guang Wang, Xiao-Yan Huang, Juan Xu, Pin-Fen Tong, Xing-Xiao Yin, and Jie-Jie Dai, “Motor Function in MPTP-Treated Tree Shrews (Tupaia belangeri chinensis),” Neurochemical Research, 2013.
- Adrianna Z. Herskovits, and Leonard Guarente, “Sirtuin deacetylases in neurodegenerative diseases of aging,” Cell Research, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 746–758, 2013.
- Cheong-Meng Chong, Zhong-Yan Zhou, Valentina Razmovski-Naumovski, Guo-Zhen Cui, Lun-Qing Zhang, Fei Sa, Pui-Man Hoi, Kelvin Chan, and Simon Ming-Yuen Lee, “Danshensu protects against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced damage of PC12 cells in vitro and dopaminergic neurons in zebrafish,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 543, pp. 121–125, 2013.
- Marina Spanos, Julie Gras-Najjar, Jeremy M. Letchworth, Audrey L. Sanford, J. Vincent Toups, and Leslie A. Sombers, “Quantitation of Hydrogen Peroxide Fluctuations and Their Modulation of Dopamine Dynamics in the Rat Dorsal Striatum Using Fast-Scan Cyclic Voltammetry,” ACS Chemical Neuroscience, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 782–789, 2013.
- Hugo Gonzalez, Francisco Contreras, Carolina Prado, Daniela Elgueta, Dafne Franz, Sebastian Bernales, and Rodrigo Pacheco, “Dopamine Receptor D3 Expressed on CD4(+) T Cells Favors Neurodegeneration o f Dopaminergic Neurons during Parkinson's Disease,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 190, no. 10, pp. 5048–5056, 2013.
- Marcio Lazzarini, Sabine Martin, Mišo Mitkovski, Rita Raisman Vozari, Walter Stühmer, and Elaine Del Bel, “Doxycycline restrains glia and confers neuroprotection in a 6-OHDA Parkinson model,” Glia, 2013.
- Pádraig Mulcahy, Aideen O’Doherty, Alexia Paucard, Timothy O’Brien, Deniz Kirik, and Eilís Dowd, “The behavioural and neuropathological impact of intranigral AAV-α-synuclein is exacerbated by systemic infusion of the Parkinson's disease-associated pesticide, rotenone, in rats,” Behavioural Brain Research, vol. 243, pp. 6–15, 2013.
- Massimo S. Fiandaca, and Howard J. Federoff, “Using viral-mediated gene delivery to model Parkinson's disease: Do nonhuman primate investigations expand our understanding?,” Experimental Neurology, 2013.
- David T. Dexter, and Peter Jenner, “Parkinson disease: from pathology to molecular disease mechanisms,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 2013.
- Eduardo Moura, Elisabete Silva, Paulo Aguiar, Carolina Garrett, and Maria Augusta Vieira-Coelho, “Locus Coeruleus Is Involved in Weight Loss in a Rat Model of Parkinson's Di sease: An Effect Reversed by Deep Brain Stimulation,” Brain Stimulation, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 845–855, 2013.
- Kaitlin F. Farrell, Sesha Krishnamachari, Ernesto Villanueva, Haiyan Lou, Tshianda N. M. Alerte, Eloise Peet, Robert E. Drolet, and Ruth G. Perez, “Non-motor parkinsonian pathology in aging A53T α-Synuclein mice is associated with progressive synucleinopathy and altered enzymatic function,” Journal of Neurochemistry, 2013.
- Ramachandra P. Limaye, Dilip V. Gokhale, and Tatyasaheb R. Patil, “Zonisamide: A review of the clinical and experimental evidence for its use in Parkinson's disease,” Indian Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 547–555, 2013.
- Sudipta Chakraborty, Julia Bornhorst, and Thuy T. Nguyen, “Oxidative Stress Mechanisms Underlying Parkinson's Disease-Associated Neuro degeneration in C. elegans,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 23103–23128, 2013.
- Edward A. Burton, G. Webster Ross, Xuemei Huang, Rodolfo Savica, Robert D. Abbott, Alberto Ascherio, John N. Caviness, Xiang Gao, Kimberly A. Gray, Jau-Shyong Hong, Freya Kamel, Danna Jennings, Annette Kirshner, Cindy Lawler, Rui Liu, Gary W. Miller, Robert Nussbaum, Shyamal D. Peddada, Amy Comstock Rick, Beate Ritz, Andrew D. Siderowf, Caroline M. Tanner, Alexander I. Troester, and Jing Zhang, “Research on the Premotor Symptoms of Parkinson's Disease: Clinical and Etio logical Implications,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 121, no. 11-12, pp. 1245–1252, 2013.
- Caio H. Y. Mazucanti, Caroline C. Real, Bruna M. Souza, Luiz R. G. Britto, and Andrea S. Torrao, “Temporal Changes of CB1 Cannabinoid Receptor in the Basal Ganglia as a Poss ible Structure-Specific Plasticity Process in 6-OHDA Lesioned Rats,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Xin Zhao, Shenyu Zhai, Ming-Sheng An, Yue-Hua Wang, Ying-Fan Yang, Hui-Qi Ge, and Jin-Hao Liu, “Neuroprotective Effects of Protocatechuic Aldehyde against Neurotoxin-Induc ed Cellular and Animal Models of Parkinson's Disease,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Sachi Tanaka, Maki Nishimura, Fumiaki Ihara, Junya Yamagishi, and Yutaka Suzuki, “Transcriptome Analysis of Mouse Brain Infected with Toxoplasma gondii,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 81, no. 10, pp. 3609–3619, 2013.
- Huaxin Sheng, Raphael E. Chaparro, Toshihiro Sasaki, Miwa Izutsu, Robert D. Pearlstein, Artak Tovmasyan, and David S. Warner, “Metalloporphyrins as Therapeutic Catalytic Oxidoreductants in Central Nervous System Disorders,” Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, pp. 131001093903006, 2013.
- Mohammed Gebriel, Shubhangi Prabhudesai, Kai-Erik Uleberg, Eivind Larssen, Dominik Piston, Anne Hjelle Bjørnstad, and Simon Geir Møller, “Zebrafish brain proteomics reveals central proteins involved in neurodegeneration,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, 2013.
- Salvatore Condello, Monica Currò, Nadia Ferlazzo, Gregorio Costa, Giuseppa Visalli, Daniela Caccamo, Laura Rosa Pisani, Cinzia Costa, Paolo Calabresi, Riccardo Ientile, and Francesco Pisani, “Protective Effects of Zonisamide Against Rotenone-Induced Neurotoxicity,” Neurochemical Research, 2013.
- Thomas Taetzsch, and Michelle L. Block, “Pesticides, Microglial NOX2, and Parkinson's Disease,” Journal of Biochemical and Molecular Toxicology, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 137–149, 2013.
- Sandeep Vasant More, Hemant Kumar, In-Su Kim, Sushruta Koppulla, Byung-Wook Kim, and Dong-Kug Choi, “Strategic selection of neuroinflammatory models in parkinson's disease:Evidence from experimental studies,” CNS and Neurological Disorders - Drug Targets, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 680–697, 2013.
- Praveen Sharma, Jan Aasly, Mathias Toft, Orjan Skogar, Solve Saebo, and Anders Lonneborg, “Found in transcription: Accurate Parkinson's disease classification in peri pheral blood,” Journal of Parkinsons Disease, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 19–29, 2013.
- Maja Puchades, Carl Johan Sogn, Jan Maehlen, and Linda H. Bergersen, “Unaltered lactate and glucose transporter levels in the MPTP mouse model of Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Parkinsons Disease, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 371–385, 2013.
- Xian-Ming Luo, Hai Lin, Wei Wang, Marilyn S. Geaney, Lee Law, Shaun Wynyard, Shamim B. Shaikh, Henry Waldvogel, Richard L. M. Faull, Robert B. Elliott, Stephen J. M. Skinner, and Jacqueline E. Lee, “Recovery of Neurological Functions in Non-Human Primate Model of Parkinson' s Disease by Transplantation of Encapsulated Neonatal Porcine Choroid Plexu s Cells,” Journal of Parkinsons Disease, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 275–291, 2013.
- Yong Sung Kim, “Accumulation of Alpha-synuclein Causes Colonic Dysmotility Independently of Enteric Nervous Damage in the Early Stage of Parkinson's Disease (Neurogastroenterol Motil 2012;24:e425-e436),” Journal of Neurogastroenterology and Motility, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 264, 2013.
- Alazne Domínguez, Antonia Álvarez, Enrique Hilario, Blanca Suarez-Merino, and Felipe Goñi-de-Cerio, “Central nervous system diseases and the role of the blood-brain barrier in their treatment,” Neuroscience Discovery, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 3, 2013.
- Werner J Geldenhuys, Samir M Abdelmagid, Patrick J Gallegos, and Fayez F Safadi, “Parkinson’s disease biomarker: a patent evaluation of WO2013153386,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents, pp. 1–5, 2014.
- Raffaella Adami, Giuseppe Scesa, and Daniele Bottai, “Stem cell transplantation in neurological diseases: improving effectiveness in animal models,” Frontiers in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 2, 2014.
- Sandra Amor, Laura A. N. Peferoen, Daphne Y. S. Vogel, Marjolein Breur, Paul van der Valk, David Baker, and Johannes M. van Noort, “Inflammation in neurodegenerative diseases - an update,” Immunology, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 151–166, 2014.
- Dasa Dolezalova, Marian Hruska-Plochan, Carsten R. Bjarkam, Jens Christian H. Sørensen, Miles Cunningham, David Weingarten, Joseph D. Ciacci, Stefan Juhas, Jana Juhasova, Jan Motlik, Michael P. Hefferan, Tom Hazel, Karl Johe, Cassiano Carromeu, Alysson Muotri, Jack Bui, Jan Strnadel, and Martin Marsala, “Pig models of neurodegenerative disorders: Utilization in cell replacement-based preclinical safety and efficacy studies,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, 2014.
- Tiago Zaminelli, Raísa Wendhausen Gradowski, Taysa Bervian Bassani, Janaína Kohl Barbiero, Ronise M. Santiago, Daniele Maria-Ferreira, Cristiane Hatsuko Baggio, and Maria A. B. F. Vital, “Antidepressant and Antioxidative Effect of Ibuprofen in the Rotenone Model of Parkinson’s Disease,” Neurotoxicity Research, 2014.
- Dwayne Brown, Andrea Tamas, Dora Reglodi, and Yousef Tizabi, “PACAP Protects Against Inflammatory-Mediated Toxicity in Dopaminergic SH-SY5Y Cells: Implication for Parkinson’s Disease,” Neurotoxicity Research, 2014.
- Thomas Langer, “Dynamic survey of mitochondria by ubiquitin,” Embo Reports, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 231–243, 2014.
- Elena A. Kozina, Gulnara R. Khakimova, Vitaly G. Khaindrava, Valeriayn G. Kucheryanu, Nadezhda E. Vorobyeva, Alexey N. Krasnov, Sophia G. Georgieva, Lidiya Kerkerian-Le Goff, and Michael V. Ugrumov, “Tyrosine hydroxylase expression and activity in nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons of Mptp-treated mice at the presymptomatic and symptomatic stages of parkinsonism,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, 2014.
- Glenda E. Gillies, Ilse S. Pienaar, Shiv Vohra, and Zahi Qamhawi, “Sex Differences in Parkinson’s Disease,” Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology, 2014.
- Dahmane Ouazia, Louis-Charles Levros, Éric Rassart, and Richard R. Desrosiers, “Dopamine down-regulation of protein L-isoaspartyl methyltransferase is dependent on reactive oxygen species in SH-SY5Y cells,” Neuroscience, 2014.
- Un Ju Jung, Min-Tae Jeon, Myung-Sook Choi, and Sang Ryong Kim, “ Silibinin Attenuates MPP + -Induced Neurotoxicity in the Substantia Nigra In Vivo ,” Journal of Medicinal Food, pp. 140324090959009, 2014.
- Fengju Jia, Ning Song, Chenyang Zhao, and Junxia Xie, “Unexpected Improvements of Spatial Learning and Memory Abilities in Chronic Rotenone Intoxicated Mice,” Plos One, vol. 9, no. 3, 2014.
- Josiane W. Bortolotto, Giana P. Cognato, Raissa R. Christoff, Laura N. Roesler, Carlos E. Leite, Luiza W. Kist, Mauricio R. Bogo, Monica R. Vianna, and Carla D. Bonan, “ Long-Term Exposure to Paraquat Alters Behavioral Parameters and Dopamine Levels in Adult Zebrafish ( Danio Rerio ) ,” Zebrafish, pp. 140225122422005, 2014.
- Leonard Guarente, “SIRT1 in Neurodevelopment and Brain Senescence,” Neuron, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 471–483, 2014.
- Maria Teresa Baltazar, Ricardo Jorge Dinis-Oliveira, Maria de Lourdes Bastos, Aristidis M. Tsatsakis, José Alberto Duarte, and Félix Carvalho, “Pesticides exposure as etiological factors of Parkinson's disease and other neurodegenerative diseases—A mechanistic approach,” Toxicology Letters, 2014.
- O. V. Gevorkyan, and A. S. Hovsepyan, “Effects of Bacterial Melanin on Movement, Posture, and Skilled Balancing De ficits After Unilateral Destruction of Substantia Nigra Pars Compacta in Ra ts,” Journal of Motor Behavior, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 67–72, 2014.
- Alazne Dominguez, and Blanca Suarez-Merino, “Nanoparticles and Blood-Brain Barrier: The Key to Central Nervous System Di seases,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 766–779, 2014.
- Pasan Fernando, Xuxu Yan, Julia Lockwood, Yin Duan, Lihui Wei, R. Glenn Wells, Corinne Bensimon, Wayne M. Mullett, and Terrence Ruddy, “Toxicological Evaluation of a Rotenone Derivative in Rodents for Clinical Myocardial Perfusion Imaging,” Cardiovascular Toxicology, 2014.
- Jan Henryk Spodnik, Edyta Spodnik, Jerzy Dziewiatkowski, and Janusz Morys, “Nigrostriatal pathway degeneration in rats after intraperitoneal administra tion of proteasome inhibitor MG-132,” Folia Neuropathologica, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 41–55, 2014.