- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 856324, 5 pages
The Effect of Glycyrrhetinic Acid on Pharmacokinetics of Cortisone and Its Metabolite Cortisol in Rats
1Analytical and Testing Center, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325035, China
2The 2nd Affiliated Hospital Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325027, China
3School of Pharmacy, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325035, China
4Teaching Center of Medical Functional Experiment, Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou 325035, China
Received 2 July 2012; Revised 1 October 2012; Accepted 2 October 2012
Academic Editor: James D. Murray
Copyright © 2012 Dan Lin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Shibata, “A drug over the millennia: pharmacognosy, chemistry, and pharmacology of licorice,” Yakugaku Zasshi, vol. 120, no. 10, pp. 849–862, 2000.
- S. Nafisi, F. Manouchehri, and M. Bonsaii, “Study on the interaction of glycyrrhizin and glycyrrhetinic acid with RNA,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 4, no. 111, pp. 27–34, 2012.
- Z. Gao, X. Kang, and C. Xu, “Research progress of anticancer mechanism of glycyrrhetinic acid,” Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, vol. 36, no. 22, pp. 3213–3216, 2011.
- J. Wang, Q. Sun, P. Gao, J. F. Wang, C. Xu, and Q. L. Sun, “Bioconversion of glycyrrhizinic acid in liquorice into 18-beta-glycyrrhetinic acid by Aspergillus parasiticus speare BGB.,” Prikladnaia Biokhimiia i Mikrobiologiia, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 462–466, 2010.
- S. Yano, M. Harada, K. Watanabe et al., “Antiulcer activities of glycyrrhetinic acid derivatives in experimental gastric lesion models,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 2500–2504, 1989.
- G. Mazzocchi, G. P. Rossi, G. Neri, L. K. Malendowicz, G. Albertin, and G. G. Nussdorfer, “11β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase expression and activity in the human adrenal cortex,” FASEB Journal, vol. 12, no. 14, pp. 1533–1539, 1998.
- M. Saeedi, K. Morteza-Semnani, and M. R. Ghoreishi, “The treatment of atopic dermatitis with licorice gel,” Journal of Dermatological Treatment, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 153–157, 2003.
- X. L. Li, A. G. Zhou, L. Zhang, and W. J. Chen, “Antioxidant status and immune activity of glycyrrhizin in allergic rhinitis mice,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 905–916, 2011.
- J. W. Tomlinson, E. A. Walker, I. J. Bujalska et al., “11β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1: a tissue-specific regulator of glucocorticoid response,” Endocrine Reviews, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 831–866, 2004.
- Y. L. Chang, C. L. Chen, C. L. Kuo, B. C. Chen, and J. S. You, “Glycyrrhetinic acid inhibits ICAM-1 expression via blocking JNK and NF-B pathways in TNF-α-activated endothelial cells,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 546–553, 2010.
- D. Deluca, A. Krazeisen, R. Breitling, C. Prehn, G. Möller, and J. Adamski, “Inhibition of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases by phytoestrogens: comparison with other steroid metabolizing enzymes,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 93, no. 2–5, pp. 285–292, 2005.
- R. C. Andrews, O. Rooyackers, and B. R. Walker, “Effects of the 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibitor carbenoxolone on insulin sensitivity in men with type 2 diabetes,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 285–291, 2003.
- S. A. Latif, T. J. Conca, and D. J. Morris, “The effects of the licoricw derivative, glycyrrhetinic acid, on hepatic 3α- and 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases and 5α- and 5β-reductase pathways of metabolism of aldesterone in male rats,” Steroids, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 52–58, 1990.
- J. S. Raul, V. Cirimele, B. Ludes, and P. Kintz, “Detection of physiological concentrations of cortisol and cortisone in human hair,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 37, no. 12, pp. 1105–1111, 2004.
- F. K. Głowka, K. Kosicka, and M. Karaźniewicz-Łada, “HPLC method for determination of fluorescence derivatives of cortisol, cortisone and their tetrahydro- and allo-tetrahydro-metabolites in biological fluids,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 878, no. 3-4, pp. 283–289, 2010.
- G. X. Hu, H. Lin, C. M. Sottas, D. J. Morris, M. P. Hardy, and R. S. Ge, “Inhibition of 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzymatic activities by glycyrrhetinic acid in vivo supports direct glucocorticoid-mediated suppression of steroidogenesis in leydig cells,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 345–351, 2008.
- S. Matsui, H. Matsumoto, Y. Sonoda et al., “Glycyrrhizin and related compounds down-regulate production of inflammatory chemokines IL-8 and eotaxin 1 in a human lung fibroblast cell line,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 4, no. 13, pp. 1633–1644, 2004.
- D. Armanini, G. Bonanni, M. J. Mattarello, C. Fiore, P. Sartorato, and M. Palermo, “Licorice consumption and serum testosterone in healthy man,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 341–343, 2003.
- A. K. Agarwal, C. Monder, B. Eckstein, and P. C. White, “Cloning and expression of rat cDNA encoding corticosteroid 11β-dehydrogenase,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 264, no. 32, pp. 18939–18943, 1989.
- A. K. Agarwal, T. Mune, C. Monder, and P. C. White, “NAD+-dependent isoform of 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. Cloning and characterization of cDNA from sheep kidney,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 269, no. 42, pp. 25959–25962, 1994.
- P. M. Stewart, A. M. Wallace, S. M. Atherden, C. H. Shearing, and C. R. W. Edwards, “Mineralocorticoid activity of carbenoxolone: contrasting effects of carbenoxolone and liquorice on 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in man,” Clinical Science, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 49–54, 1990.
- S. Shibata, “Chemistry and cancer preventing activities of ginseng saponins and some related triterpenoid compounds,” Journal of Korean medical science, vol. 16, pp. S28–S37, 2001.
- K. Shiratori, S. Watanabe, and T. Takeuchi, “Effect of licorice extract (Fm100) on release of secretin and exocrine pancreatic secretion in humans,” Pancreas, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 483–487, 1986.
- S. Farese, A. Kruse, A. Pasch et al., “Glycyrrhetinic acid food supplementation lowers serum potassium concentration in chronic hemodialysis patients,” Kidney International, vol. 76, no. 8, pp. 877–884, 2009.
- M. Baeck, L. Marot, J. F. Nicolas, C. Pilette, D. Tennstedt, and A. Goossens, “Allergic hypersensitivity to topical and systemic corticosteroids: a review,” Allergy, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 978–994, 2009.
- E. F. De Palo, G. Antonelli, A. Benetazzo, M. Prearo, and R. Gatti, “Human saliva cortisone and cortisol simultaneous analysis using reverse phase HPLC technique,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 405, no. 1-2, pp. 60–65, 2009.