- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 915150, 8 pages
Acid-Base Disorders in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Pathophysiological Review
Department of Internal Medicine and Systemic Diseases, University of Catania, 95100 Catania, Italy
Received 29 September 2011; Accepted 26 October 2011
Academic Editor: Saulius Butenas
Copyright © 2012 Cosimo Marcello Bruno and Maria Valenti. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Raherison and P. O. Girodet, “Epidemiology of COPD,” European Respiratory Review, vol. 18, no. 114, pp. 213–221, 2009.
- D. C. McCrory, C. Brown, S. E. Gelfand, and P. B. Bach, “Management of acute exacerbations of COPD: a summary and appraisal of published evidence,” Chest, vol. 119, no. 4, pp. 1190–1209, 2001.
- P. K. Plant and M. W. Elliott, “Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: management of ventilatory failure in COPD,” Thorax, vol. 58, no. 6, pp. 537–542, 2003.
- P. K. Plant, J. L. Owen, and M. W. Elliott, “One year period prevalence study of respiratory acidosis in acute exacerbations of COPD: implications for the provision of non-invasive ventilation and oxygen administration,” Thorax, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 550–554, 2000.
- G. L. Schumaker and S. K. Epstein, “Managing acute respiratory failure during exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Respiratory Care, vol. 49, no. 7, pp. 766–782, 2004.
- M. G. Seneff, D. P. Wagner, R. P. Wagner, J. E. Zimmerman, and W. A. Knaus, “Hospital and 1-year survival of patients admitted to intensive care units with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 274, no. 23, pp. 1852–1857, 1995.
- D. A. Kregenow, G. D. Rubenfeld, L. D. Hudson, and E. R. Swenson, “Hypercapnic acidosis and mortality in acute lung injury,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 1–7, 2006.
- N. Madias and J. Cohen, “Respiratory acidosis,” in Acid Base, J. Kassirer and J. Cohen, Eds., pp. 307–348, Little Brown, Boston, Mass, USA, 1982.
- B. D. Rose, “Introduction to simple and mixed acid-base disorders,” in Clinical Physiology of Acid-base and Electrolyte Disorders, pp. 429–441, McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, 1994.
- N. C. Brackett Jr., J. J. Cohen, and W. B. Schwartz, “Carbon dioxide titration curve of normal man; effect of increasing degrees of acute hypercapnia on acid-base equilibrium,” The New England journal of medicine, vol. 272, pp. 6–12, 1965.
- S. de Signeux, H. Malte, H. Dimke, J. Frokiaer, S. Nielsen, and S. Frische, “Renal compensation to chronic hypoxic hypercapnia: downregulation of pendrin and adaption of the proximal tubule,” American Journal of Physiology: Renal Physiology, vol. 292, pp. F1256–F1266, 2007.
- B. M. Koeppen, “The kidney and acid-base regulation,” American Journal of Physiology: Advances in Physiology Education, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 275–281, 2009.
- M. G. Cogan, “Chronic hypercapnia stimulates proximal bicarbonate reabsorption in the rat,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 1942–1947, 1984.
- B. M. Koeppen and B. A. Stanton, Berne and Levy Physiology, Mosby, St. Louis, Mo, USA, 6th edition, 2008.
- J. Guntupalli, B. Eby, and K. Lau, “Mechanism for the phosphaturia of NH4Cl: dependence on acidemia but not on diet PO4 or PTH,” The American journal of physiology, vol. 242, no. 5, pp. F552–F600, 1982.
- J. Guntupalli, B. Matthews, B. Carlin, and E. Bourke, “Effect of acute hypercapnia on PTH-stimulated phosphaturia in dietary Pi-deprived rat,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 253, no. 1, pp. F34–F40, 1987.
- C. A. Wagner, K. E. Finberg, P. A. Stehberger et al., “Regulation of the expression of the CL-/anion exchanger pendrin in mouse kidney by acid-base status,” Kidney International, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 2109–2117, 2002.
- N. Madias and H. Adrogue, “Respiratory acidosis and alkalosis,” in Respiratory Monitoring (Contemporary Management in Critical Care), M. Tobin, Ed., vol. I, no. 4, pp. 17–53, Churchill Livingstone, Edimburgh, UK, 1991.
- S. K. Epstein and N. Singh, “Respiratory acidosis,” Respiratory Care, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 366–383, 2001.
- G. G. Nahas, “The problems of acidosis,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 23, supplement 4, pp. 73–83, 1970.
- J. M. Handy and N. Soni, “Physiological effects of hyperchloraemia and acidosis,” British Journal of Anaesthesia, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 141–150, 2008.
- J. A. Kraut and N. E. Madias, “Metabolic acidosis: pathophysiology, diagnosis and management,” Nature Reviews Nephrology, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 274–285, 2010.
- I. S. Anand, Y. Chandrashekhar, R. Ferrari et al., “Pathogenesis of congestive state in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: studies of body water and sodium, renal function, hemodynamics, and plasma hormones during edema and after recovery,” Circulation, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 12–21, 1992.
- A. A. Jeffrey, P. M. Warren, and D. C. Flenley, “Acute hypercapnic respiratory failure in patients with chronic obstructive lung disease: risk factors and use of guidelines for management,” Thorax, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 34–40, 1992.
- W. S. H. Guy, N. Hakimian, and S. M. Santiago, “Hypercapnic respiratory failure in COPD patients. Response to therapy,” Chest, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 169–177, 2000.
- L. J. Kettel, C. F. Diener, J. O. Morse, H. F. Stein, and B. Burrows, “Treatment of acute respiratory acidosis in chronic obstructive lung disease,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 217, no. 11, pp. 1503–1508, 1971.
- P. M. Warren, D. C. Flenley, J. S. Millar, and A. Avery, “Respiratory failure revisited: acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis between 1961–68 and 1970–76,” Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8166, pp. 467–470, 1980.
- P. K. Plant, J. L. Owen, and M. W. Elliott, “Early use of non-invasive ventilation for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease on general respiratory wards: a multicentre randomised controlled trial,” Lancet, vol. 355, no. 9219, pp. 1931–1935, 2000.
- B. O. Onadekoa, M. Khadadaha, N. Abdellaa et al., “Prognostic factors in the management of exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in Kuwait,” Medical Principles and Practice, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2005.
- S. Budweiser, R. A. Jörres, T. Riedl et al., “Predictors of survival in COPD patients with chronic hypercapnic respiratory failure receiving noninvasive home ventilation,” Chest, vol. 131, no. 6, pp. 1650–1658, 2007.
- I. Ucgun, F. Oztuna, C. E. Dagli, H. Yildirim, and C. Bal, “Relationship of metabolic alkalosis, azotemia and morbidity in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and hypercapnia,” Respiration, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 270–274, 2008.
- R. Antonelli Incalzi, A. Corsonello, C. Pedone, S. Battaglia, G. Paglino, and V. Bellia, “Chronic renal failure: a neglected comorbidity of COPD,” Chest, vol. 137, pp. 831–837, 2010.
- Y. R. van Gestel, M. Chonchol, S. E. Hoeks et al., “Association between chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and chronic kidney disease in vascular surgery patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 2763–2767, 2009.
- C. Terzano, V. Conti, F. di Stefano et al., “Comorbidity, hospitalization, and mortality in COPD: results from a longitudinal study,” Lung, vol. 188, no. 4, pp. 321–329, 2010.
- G. C. Khilnani, A. Banga, and S. K. Sharma, “Predictors of mortality of patients with acute respiratory failure secondary to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease admitted to an intensive care unit: a one year study,” BMC Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 4, article 12, 2004.
- A. Banga and G. C. Khilnani, “A comparative study of characteristics and outcome of patients with acute respiratory failure and acute on chronic respiratory failure requiring mechanical ventilation,” Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 80–87, 2006.
- C. van Ypersele de Strihou, P. F. Gulyassy, and W. B. Schwartz, “Effects of chronic hypercapnia on electrolyte and acid-base equilibrium. III. Characteristics of the adaptive and recovery process as evaluated by provision of alkali,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 41, pp. 2246–2253, 1962.
- V. Saini, N. Saini, J. Kaur, and G. P. Singh, “Acid base status in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients,” Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 36–38, 1993.
- C. Guérin, P. Nesme, V. Leray et al., “Quantitative analysis of acid-base disorders in patients with chronic respiratory failure in stable or unstable respiratory condition,” Respiratory Care, vol. 55, no. 11, pp. 1453–1463, 2010.
- O. Siggard-Andersen, The Acid-Base Status of the Blood, Munksgaard Publishers, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1974.
- R. Schlichtig, A. W. Grogono, and J. W. Severinghaus, “Human PaCO2 and standard base excess compensation for acid-base imbalance,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1173–1179, 1998.
- M. Emmett and R. G. Narins, “Clinical use of the anion gap,” Medicine, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 38–54, 1977.
- P. A. Stewart, “Modern quantitative acid-base chemistry,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 61, no. 12, pp. 1444–1461, 1983.
- V. Fencl, A. Jabor, A. Kazda, and J. Figge, “Diagnosis of metabolic acid-base disturbances in critically III patients,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 162, no. 6, pp. 2246–2251, 2000.
- M. M. Boniatti, P. R. C. Cardoso, R. K. Castilho, and S. R. R. Vieira, “Acid-base disorders evaluation in critically ill patients: we can improve our diagnostic ability,” Intensive Care Medicine, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 1377–1382, 2009.
- M. Moviat, F. van Haren, and H. van der Hoeven, “Conventional or physicochemical approach in intensive care unit patients with metabolic acidosis,” Critical Care, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. R41–R45, 2003.
- A. A. Sirker, A. Rhodes, R. M. Grounds, and E. D. Bennett, “Acid-base physiology: the traditional and the modern approaches,” Anaesthesia, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 348–356, 2002.
- I. Kurtz, J. Kraut, V. Ornekian, and M. K. Nguyen, “Acid-base analysis: a critique of the Stewart and bicarbonate-centered approaches,” American Journal of Physiology: Renal Physiology, vol. 294, no. 5, pp. F1009–F1031, 2008.
- A. Rastegar, “Clinical utility of Stewart's method in diagnosis and management of acid-base disorders,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 4, no. 7, pp. 1267–1274, 2009.
- R. G. Narins and M. Emmett, “Simple and mixed acid-base disorders: a practical approach,” Medicine, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 161–187, 1980.
- T. D. DuBose Jr., “Clinical approach to patients with acid-base disorders,” Medical Clinics of North America, vol. 67, no. 4, pp. 799–813, 1983.
- P. J. Fall, “A stepwise approach to acid-base disorders. Practical patient evaluation for metabolic acidosis and other conditions,” Postgraduate Medicine, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 249–263, 2000.
- P. Sood, G. Paul, and S. Puri, “Interpretation of arterial blood gas,” Indian Journal of Critical Care Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 57–64, 2010.