- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 928159, 7 pages
The Inhibitory Effect of Prunella vulgaris L. on Aldose Reductase and Protein Glycation
1Institute of Natural Medicine, Hallym University, Chuncheon 200-702, Republic of Korea
2Research Institute, S&D Co., Ltd., Chuncheon 200-161, Republic of Korea
3Agricultural College, Yanbian University, Yanji 133-002, China
4Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Hallym University, Chuncheon 200-702, Republic of Korea
Received 8 May 2012; Accepted 25 July 2012
Academic Editor: George Perry
Copyright © 2012 Hong Mei Li et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. I. Moon, J. C. Jung, and J. Lee, “Aldose reductase inhibitory effect by tectorigenin derivatives from Viola hondoensis,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 22, pp. 7592–7594, 2006.
- E. C. Leal, A. R. Santiago, and A. F. Ambrósio, “Old and new drug targets in diabetic retinopathy: from biochemical changes to inflammation and neurodegeneration,” Current Drug Targets: CNS and Neurological Disorders, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 421–434, 2005.
- J. H. Kinoshita, “Mechanisms initiating cataract formation,” Investigative Ophthalmology, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 713–724, 1974.
- D. R. Tomlinson, E. J. Stevens, and L. T. Diemel, “Aldose reductase inhibitors and their potential for the treatment of diabetic complications,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 293–297, 1994.
- R. Singh, A. Barden, T. Mori, and L. Beilin, “Advanced glycation end-products: a review,” Diabetologia, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 129–146, 2001.
- N. Ahmed, “Advanced glycation endproducts—role in pathology of diabetic complications,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 3–21, 2005.
- B. Halliwell and J. M. C. Gutteridge, “Role of free radicals and catalytic metal ions in human disease: an overview,” Methods in Enzymology, vol. 186, pp. 1–85, 1990.
- A. K. Saxena, P. Srivastava, R. K. Kale, and N. Z. Baquer, “Impaired antioxidant status in diabetic rat liver. Effect of vanadate,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 539–542, 1993.
- L. Wirasathien, T. Pengsuparp, R. Suttisri, H. Ueda, M. Moriyasu, and K. Kawanishi, “Inhibitors of aldose reductase and advanced glycation end-products formation from the leaves of Stelechocarpus cauliflorus R.E. Fr,” Phytomedicine, vol. 14, no. 7-8, pp. 546–550, 2007.
- J. Psotová, M. Kolář, J. Soušek, Z. Švagera, J. Vičar, and J. Ulrichová, “Biological activities of Prunella vulgaris extract,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 17, no. 9, pp. 1082–1087, 2003.
- H. X. Xu, S. H. S. Lee, S. F. Lee, R. L. White, and J. Blay, “Isolation and characterization of an anti-HSV polysaccharide from Prunella vulgaris,” Antiviral Research, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 43–54, 1999.
- X. Fang, M. M. Yu, W. H. Yuen, S. Y. Zee, and R. C. Chang, “Immune modulatory effects of Prunella vulgaris L. on monocytes/macrophages,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 1109–1116, 2005.
- L. Feng, X. B. Jia, F. Shi, and Y. Chen, “Identification of two polysaccharides from Prunella vulgaris L. and evaluation on their anti-lung adenocarcinoma activity,” Molecules, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 5093–5103, 2010.
- S. Y. Ryu, M. H. Oak, S. K. Yoon et al., “Anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory triterpenes from the herb of Prunella vulgaris,” Planta Medica, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 358–360, 2000.
- S. Hayman and J. H. Koshita, “Isolation and properties of lens aldose reductase,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 240, no. 2, pp. 877–882, 1965.
- Y. S. Lee, Y. H. Kang, J. Y. Jung et al., “Inhibitory constituents of aldose reductase in the fruiting body of Phellinus linteus,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 765–768, 2008.
- S. S. Lim, Y. J. Jung, S. K. Hyun, Y. S. Lee, and J. S. Choi, “Rat lens aldose reductase inhibitory constituents of Nelumbo nucifera stamens,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 825–830, 2006.
- K. Kawanishi, H. Ueda, and M. Moriyasu, “Aldose reductase inhibitors from the nature,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 15, pp. 1353–1374, 2003.
- J. A. de la Fuente and S. Manzanaro, “Aldose reductase inhibitors from natural sources,” Natural Product Reports, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 243–251, 2003.
- S. Kwang-Hyok, P. Ui-Nam, C. Sarkar, and R. Bhadra, “A sensitive assay of red blood cell sorbitol level by high performance liquid chromatography: potential for diagnostic evaluation of diabetes,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 354, no. 1-2, pp. 41–47, 2005.
- R. Shinohara, Y. Ohta, M. Yamauchi, and I. Ishiguro, “Improved fluorometric enzymatic sorbitol assay in human blood,” Clinica Chimica Acta, vol. 273, no. 2, pp. 171–184, 1998.
- C. Lee, M. B. Yim, P. B. Chock, H. S. Yim, and S. O. Kang, “Oxidation-reduction properties of methylglyoxal-modified protein in relation to free radical generation,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 273, no. 39, pp. 25272–25278, 1998.
- R. Re, N. Pellegrini, A. Proteggente, A. Pannala, M. Yang, and C. Rice-Evans, “Antioxidant activity applying an improved ABTS radical cation decolorization assay,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 9-10, pp. 1231–1237, 1999.
- W. H. Park, S. H. Kim, and C. H. Kim, “A new matrix metalloproteinase-9 inhibitor 3,4-dihydroxycinnamic acid (caffeic acid) from methanol extract of Euonymus alatus: isolation and structure determination,” Toxicology, vol. 207, no. 3, pp. 383–390, 2005.
- I. P. Gerothanassis, V. Exarchou, V. Lagouri, A. Troganis, M. Tsimidou, and D. Boskou, “Methodology for identification of phenolic acids in complex phenolic mixtures by high-resolution two-dimensional nuclear magnetic resonance. Application to methanolic extracts of two oregano species,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 4185–4192, 1998.
- X. J. He and R. H. Liu, “Cranberry phytochemicals: isolation, structure elucidation, and their antiproliferative and antioxidant activities,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 54, no. 19, pp. 7069–7074, 2006.
- Y. Nakamura, Y. Ohto, A. Murakami, and H. Ohigashi, “Superoxide scavenging activity of rosmarinic aicd from Perilla frutescens Britton var. acuta f. viridis,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 4545–4550, 1998.
- X. M. Niu, S. H. Li, Z. Na, S. X. Mei, Q. S. Zhao, and H. D. Sum, “Studies on chemical constituents of Isodon eriocalyx var. laxiflora,” Chinese Traditional and Herbal Drugs, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 300–304, 2003.
- T. S. Martin, H. Kikuzaki, M. Hisamoto, and N. Nakatani, “Constituents of amomum tsao-ko and their radical scavenging and antioxidant activities,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 77, no. 6, pp. 667–673, 2000.
- H. A. Jung, N. Y. Yoon, S. S. Kang, Y. S. Kim, and J. S. Choi, “Inhibitory activities of prenylated flavonoids from Sophora flavescens against aldose reductase and generation of advanced glycation endproducts,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 1227–1236, 2008.
- H. Matsuda, T. Morikawa, I. Toguchida, and M. Yoshikawa, “Structural requirements of flavonoids and related compounds for aldose reductase inhibitory activity,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 788–795, 2002.
- C. Koukoulitsa, C. Zika, G. D. Geromichalos, V. J. Demopoulos, and H. Skaltsa, “Evaluation of aldose reductase inhibition and docking studies of some secondary metabolites, isolated from Origanum vulgare L. ssp. hirtum,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 1653–1659, 2006.
- H. Cai and D. G. Harrison, “Endothelial dysfunction in cardiovascular diseases: the role of oxidant stress,” Circulation Research, vol. 87, no. 10, pp. 840–844, 2000.
- D. Giugliano, A. Ceriello, and G. Paolisso, “Oxidative stress and diabetic vascular complications,” Diabetes Care, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 257–267, 1996.