- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 950658, 17 pages
Salinomycin as a Drug for Targeting Human Cancer Stem Cells
1Institute of Immunology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 305, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
2Center and Network for Targeted Oncology, Clinical Research Division, Muehlackerweg 8, 69239 Heidelberg, Germany
Received 23 August 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: Adam Huczynski
Copyright © 2012 Cord Naujokat and Roman Steinhart. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [28 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Adam Huczynski, Jacek Rutkowski, Izabela Borowicz, Joanna Wietrzyk, Ewa Maj, and Bogumil Brzezinski, “One-pot synthesis and cytotoxicity studies of new Mannich base derivatives of polyether antibiotic-Lasalocid acid,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 23, no. 18, pp. 5053–5056, 2013.
- Won Duk Joo, Irene Visintin, and Gil Mor, “Targeted cancer therapy – Are the days of systemic chemotherapy numbered?,” Maturitas, 2013.
- Eshel Ben-Jacob, “Engineering Trojan-horse bacteria to fight cancer,” Blood, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 619–620, 2013.
- José N. Onuchic, Patricia A. Jennings, and Eshel Ben-Jacob, “Learning from cancer how to defeat bacteria,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 3212–3213, 2013.
- Justin M. David, Tori A. Owens, Sonali P. Barwe, and Ayyappan K. Rajasekaran, “Gramicidin A Induces Metabolic Dysfunction and Energy Depletion Leading to Cell Death in Renal Cell Carcinoma Cells,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 2296–2307, 2013.
- Petra Huehnchen, Wolfgang Boehmerle, and Matthias Endres, “Assessment of Paclitaxel Induced Sensory Polyneuropathy with "Catwalk" Automated Gait Analysis in Mice,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Björn Borgström, Xiaoli Huang, Martin Pošta, Cecilia Hegardt, Stina Oredsson, and Daniel Strand, “Synthetic modification of salinomycin: selective O-acylation and biological evaluation,” Chemical Communications, vol. 49, no. 85, pp. 9944, 2013.
- Olajumoke Omolara Ojo, Srikanta Kumar Rath, and Smrati Bhadauria, “Dose-Dependent Adverse Effects of Salinomycin on Male Reproductive Organs and Fertility in Mice,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Dan Wang, Bijaya Upadhyaya, Yi Liu, David Knudsen, and Moul Dey, “Phenethyl isothiocyanate upregulates death receptors 4 and 5 and inhibits proliferation in human cancer stem-like cells,” Bmc Cancer, vol. 14, 2014.
- Cristiana Pistol Tanase, Ana Iulia Neagu, Laura Georgiana Necula, Cristina Mambet, Ana-Maria Enciu, Bogdan Calenic, Maria Linda Cruceru, and Radu Albulescu, “Cancer stem cells: Involvement in pancreatic cancer pathogenesis and perspectives on cancer therapeutics,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 31, pp. 10790–10801, 2014.
- Wenyan Lu, and Yonghe Li, “Salinomycin Suppresses LRP6 Expression and Inhibits Both Wnt/β-catenin and mTORC1 Signaling in Breast and Prostate Cancer Cells,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 1799–1807, 2014.
- Guicheng He, Xiaocheng Cao, Meng He, Xifeng Sheng, Youhua Wu, and Xiaohong Ai, “Casticin inhibits self-renewal of liver cancer stem cells from the MHCC97 cell line,” Oncology Letters, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 2023–2028, 2014.
- Marius Eugen Ciurea, Ada Maria Georgescu, Stefana Oana Purcaru, Stefan-Alexandru Artene, Ghazaleh Hooshyar Emami, Mihai Virgil Boldeanu, Daniela Elise Tache, and Anica Dricu, “Cancer Stem Cells: Biological Functions and Therapeutically Targeting,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 8169–8185, 2014.
- Adam Huczynski, Jan Janczak, Jacek Rutkowski, and Bogumil Brzezinski, “Spectroscopic, crystallographic and theoretical studies of lasalocid complex with ammonia and benzylamine,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A-Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, vol. 125, pp. 297–307, 2014.
- Xiaoli Huang, Björn Borgström, Linda Månsson, Lo Persson, Stina Oredsson, Cecilia Hegardt, and Daniel Strand, “Semisynthesis of SY-1 for Investigation of Breast Cancer Stem Cell Selectivity of C-Ring-Modified Salinomycin Analogues,” ACS Chemical Biology, pp. 140529132416003, 2014.
- Rosi Bissinger, Abaid Malik, Kashif Jilani, and Florian Lang, “Triggering of Erythrocyte Cell Membrane Scrambling by Salinomycin,” Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology, 2014.
- Panagiota A. Sotiropoulou, Michael S. Christodoulou, Alessandra Silvani, Christel Herold-Mende, and Daniele Passarella, “Chemical approaches to targeting drug resistance in cancer stem cells,” Drug Discovery Today, 2014.
- Fatima Ismail, and David A. Winkler, “Getting to the Source: Selective Drug Targeting of Cancer Stem Cells,” ChemMedChem, 2014.
- Susan D. Mertins, “Cancer stem cells,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 353–367, 2014.
- Justin M. David, Tori A. Owens, Landon J. Inge, Ross M. Bremner, and Ayyappan K. Rajasekaran, “Gramicidin A Blocks Tumor Growth and Angiogenesis through Inhibition of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor in Renal Cell Carcinoma,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 788–799, 2014.
- Wolfgang Boehmerle, Hanna Muenzfeld, Andreas Springer, Petra Huehnchen, and Matthias Endres, “Specific targeting of neurotoxic side effects and pharmacological profile of the novel cancer stem cell drug salinomycin in mice,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, 2014.
- Michal Antoszczak, Ewa Maj, Joanna Stefanska, Joanna Wietrzyk, Jan Janczak, Bogumil Brzezinski, and Adam Huczynski, “Synthesis, antiproliferative and antibacterial activity of new amides of salinomycin,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1724–1729, 2014.
- Yonghe Li, Pui Kai Li, Michael J. Roberts, Rebecca Arend, Rajeev S. Samant, and Donald J. Buchsbaum, “Multi-targeted therapy of cancer by niclosamide: A new application for an old drug,” Cancer Letters, 2014.
- Jiří Hatina, “Cancer stem cells as a therapeutic target of the future,” Clinical Investigation, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 289–291, 2014.
- Feng Sang, Dongmei Li, Xiaolong Sun, Xianqiang Cao, Liang Wang, Jianlei Sun, Bingxia Sun, Lingling Wu, Guang Yang, Xiaoqian Chu, Jinghan Wang, Changming Dong, Yan Geng, Hong Jiang, Haibo Long, Sijia Chen, Guiyan Wang, Shuzhong Zhang, Quan Zhang, and Yue Chen, “Total Synthesis and Determination of the Absolute Configuration of Rakicidin A,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, pp. 141006161500002, 2014.
- Florian Kopp, Adam Hermawan, Prajakta Shirish Oak, Annika Herrmann, Ernst Wagner, and Andreas Roidl, “Salinomycin treatment reduces metastatic tumor burden by hampering cancer cell migration,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 13, 2014.
- Roberto Würth, Federica Barbieri, and Tullio Florio, “New Molecules and Old Drugs as Emerging Approaches to Selectively Target Human Glioblastoma Cancer Stem Cells,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–11, 2014.
- Ae-Ran Choi, Ju-Hwa Kim, and Sungpil Yoon, “ Sensitization of Cancer Cells through Reduction of Total Akt and Downregulation of Salinomycin-Induced pAkt, pGSk3 β , pTSC2, and p4EBP1 by Cotreatment with MK-2206 ,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–8, 2014.