- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 950658, 17 pages
Salinomycin as a Drug for Targeting Human Cancer Stem Cells
1Institute of Immunology, University of Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 305, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
2Center and Network for Targeted Oncology, Clinical Research Division, Muehlackerweg 8, 69239 Heidelberg, Germany
Received 23 August 2012; Accepted 4 October 2012
Academic Editor: Adam Huczynski
Copyright © 2012 Cord Naujokat and Roman Steinhart. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Citations to this Article [66 citations]
The following is the list of published articles that have cited the current article.
- Adam Huczynski, Jacek Rutkowski, Izabela Borowicz, Joanna Wietrzyk, Ewa Maj, and Bogumil Brzezinski, “One-pot synthesis and cytotoxicity studies of new Mannich base derivatives of polyether antibiotic-Lasalocid acid,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 23, no. 18, pp. 5053–5056, 2013.
- Won Duk Joo, Irene Visintin, and Gil Mor, “Targeted cancer therapy – Are the days of systemic chemotherapy numbered?,” Maturitas, 2013.
- Eshel Ben-Jacob, “Engineering Trojan-horse bacteria to fight cancer,” Blood, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 619–620, 2013.
- José N. Onuchic, Patricia A. Jennings, and Eshel Ben-Jacob, “Learning from cancer how to defeat bacteria,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 110, no. 9, pp. 3212–3213, 2013.
- Justin M. David, Tori A. Owens, Sonali P. Barwe, and Ayyappan K. Rajasekaran, “Gramicidin A Induces Metabolic Dysfunction and Energy Depletion Leading to Cell Death in Renal Cell Carcinoma Cells,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 12, no. 11, pp. 2296–2307, 2013.
- Petra Huehnchen, Wolfgang Boehmerle, and Matthias Endres, “Assessment of Paclitaxel Induced Sensory Polyneuropathy with "Catwalk" Automated Gait Analysis in Mice,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 10, 2013.
- Olajumoke Omolara Ojo, Srikanta Kumar Rath, and Smrati Bhadauria, “Dose-Dependent Adverse Effects of Salinomycin on Male Reproductive Organs and Fertility in Mice,” Plos One, vol. 8, no. 7, 2013.
- Björn Borgström, Xiaoli Huang, Martin Pošta, Cecilia Hegardt, Stina Oredsson, and Daniel Strand, “Synthetic modification of salinomycin: selective O-acylation and biological evaluation,” Chemical Communications, vol. 49, no. 85, pp. 9944, 2013.
- Wenyan Lu, and Yonghe Li, “Salinomycin Suppresses LRP6 Expression and Inhibits Both Wnt/β-catenin and mTORC1 Signaling in Breast and Prostate Cancer Cells,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 115, no. 10, pp. 1799–1807, 2014.
- Cristiana Pistol Tanase, Ana Iulia Neagu, Laura Georgiana Necula, Cristina Mambet, Ana-Maria Enciu, Bogdan Calenic, Maria Linda Cruceru, and Radu Albulescu, “Cancer stem cells: Involvement in pancreatic cancer pathogenesis and perspectives on cancer therapeutics,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 20, no. 31, pp. 10790–10801, 2014.
- Dan Wang, Bijaya Upadhyaya, Yi Liu, David Knudsen, and Moul Dey, “Phenethyl isothiocyanate upregulates death receptors 4 and 5 and inhibits proliferation in human cancer stem-like cells,” Bmc Cancer, vol. 14, 2014.
- Guicheng He, Xiaocheng Cao, Meng He, Xifeng Sheng, Youhua Wu, and Xiaohong Ai, “Casticin inhibits self-renewal of liver cancer stem cells from the MHCC97 cell line,” Oncology Letters, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 2023–2028, 2014.
- Marius Eugen Ciurea, Ada Maria Georgescu, Stefana Oana Purcaru, Stefan-Alexandru Artene, Ghazaleh Hooshyar Emami, Mihai Virgil Boldeanu, Daniela Elise Tache, and Anica Dricu, “Cancer Stem Cells: Biological Functions and Therapeutically Targeting,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 8169–8185, 2014.
- Adam Huczynski, Jan Janczak, Jacek Rutkowski, and Bogumil Brzezinski, “Spectroscopic, crystallographic and theoretical studies of lasalocid complex with ammonia and benzylamine,” Spectrochimica Acta Part A-Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy, vol. 125, pp. 297–307, 2014.
- Panagiota A. Sotiropoulou, Michael S. Christodoulou, Alessandra Silvani, Christel Herold-Mende, and Daniele Passarella, “Chemical approaches to targeting drug resistance in cancer stem cells,” Drug Discovery Today, 2014.
- Xiaoli Huang, Björn Borgström, Linda Månsson, Lo Persson, Stina Oredsson, Cecilia Hegardt, and Daniel Strand, “Semisynthesis of SY-1 for Investigation of Breast Cancer Stem Cell Selectivity of C-Ring-Modified Salinomycin Analogues,” ACS Chemical Biology, pp. 140529132416003, 2014.
- Rosi Bissinger, Abaid Malik, Kashif Jilani, and Florian Lang, “Triggering of Erythrocyte Cell Membrane Scrambling by Salinomycin,” Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology, 2014.
- Wolfgang Boehmerle, Hanna Muenzfeld, Andreas Springer, Petra Huehnchen, and Matthias Endres, “Specific targeting of neurotoxic side effects and pharmacological profile of the novel cancer stem cell drug salinomycin in mice,” Journal of Molecular Medicine, 2014.
- Jiří Hatina, “Cancer stem cells as a therapeutic target of the future,” Clinical Investigation, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 289–291, 2014.
- Fatima Ismail, and David A. Winkler, “Getting to the Source: Selective Drug Targeting of Cancer Stem Cells,” ChemMedChem, 2014.
- Susan D. Mertins, “Cancer stem cells,” Anti-Cancer Drugs, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 353–367, 2014.
- Michal Antoszczak, Ewa Maj, Joanna Stefanska, Joanna Wietrzyk, Jan Janczak, Bogumil Brzezinski, and Adam Huczynski, “Synthesis, antiproliferative and antibacterial activity of new amides of salinomycin,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 1724–1729, 2014.
- Yonghe Li, Pui Kai Li, Michael J. Roberts, Rebecca Arend, Rajeev S. Samant, and Donald J. Buchsbaum, “Multi-targeted therapy of cancer by niclosamide: A new application for an old drug,” Cancer Letters, 2014.
- Justin M. David, Tori A. Owens, Landon J. Inge, Ross M. Bremner, and Ayyappan K. Rajasekaran, “Gramicidin A Blocks Tumor Growth and Angiogenesis through Inhibition of Hypoxia-Inducible Factor in Renal Cell Carcinoma,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 788–799, 2014.
- Miriam Schenk, Berk Aykut, Christian Teske, Nathalia N. Giese, Juergen Weitz, and Thilo Welsch, “Salinomycin inhibits growth of pancreatic cancer and cancer cell migration by disruption of actin stress fiber integrity,” Cancer Letters, 2014.
- Florian Kopp, Adam Hermawan, Prajakta Shirish Oak, Vijay Kumar Ulaganathan, Annika Herrmann, Nefertiti Elnikhely, Chitra Thakur, Zhiguang Xiao, Pjotr Knyazev, Beyhan Ataseven, Rajkumar Savai, Ernst Wagner, and Andreas Roidl, “Sequential Salinomycin Treatment Results in Resistance Formation through Clonal Selection of Epithelial-Like Tumor Cells,” Translational Oncology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 702–711, 2014.
- Michal Antoszczak, Ewa Maj, Agnieszka Napiorkowska, Joanna Stefanska, Ewa Augustynowicz-Kopec, Joanna Wietrzyk, Jan Janczak, Bogumil Brzezinski, and Adam Huczynski, “Synthesis, Anticancer and Antibacterial Activity of Salinomycin N-Benzyl Amides,” Molecules, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 19435–19459, 2014.
- Feng Sang, Dongmei Li, Xiaolong Sun, Xianqiang Cao, Liang Wang, Jianlei Sun, Bingxia Sun, Lingling Wu, Guang Yang, Xiaoqian Chu, Jinghan Wang, Changming Dong, Yan Geng, Hong Jiang, Haibo Long, Sijia Chen, Guiyan Wang, Shuzhong Zhang, Quan Zhang, and Yue Chen, “Total Synthesis and Determination of the Absolute Configuration of Rakicidin A,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, pp. 141006161500002, 2014.
- Florian Kopp, Adam Hermawan, Prajakta Shirish Oak, Annika Herrmann, Ernst Wagner, and Andreas Roidl, “Salinomycin treatment reduces metastatic tumor burden by hampering cancer cell migration,” Molecular Cancer, vol. 13, 2014.
- Roberto Würth, Federica Barbieri, and Tullio Florio, “New Molecules and Old Drugs as Emerging Approaches to Selectively Target Human Glioblastoma Cancer Stem Cells,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–11, 2014.
- Ae-Ran Choi, Ju-Hwa Kim, and Sungpil Yoon, “ Sensitization of Cancer Cells through Reduction of Total Akt and Downregulation of Salinomycin-Induced pAkt, pGSk3 β , pTSC2, and p4EBP1 by Cotreatment with MK-2206 ,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2014, pp. 1–8, 2014.
- Sarah D'Alessandro, Yolanda Corbett, Denise P. Ilboudo, Paola Misiano, Nisha Dahiya, Solomon M. Abay, Annette Habluetzel, Romualdo Grande, Maria R. Gismondo, Koen J. Dechering, Karin M. J. Koolen, Robert W. Sauerwein, Donatella Taramelli, Nicoletta Basilico, and Silvia Parapini, “Salinomycin and Other Ionophores as a New Class of Antimalarial Drugs with Transmission-Blocking Activity,” Antimicrobial Agents And Chemotherapy, vol. 59, no. 9, pp. 5135–5144, 2015.
- M. Margarida Bernardo, Alexander Kaplun, Sijana H. Dzinic, Xiaohua Li, Jonathan Irish, Adelina Mujagic, Benjamin Jakupovic, Jessica B. Back, Eric Van Buren, Xiang Han, Ivory Dean, Yong Q. Chen, Elisabeth Heath, Wael Sakr, and Shijie Sheng, “Maspin Expression in Prostate Tumor Cells Averts Stemness and Stratifies Drug Sensitivity,” Cancer Research, vol. 75, no. 18, pp. 3970–3979, 2015.
- Ishaq N. Khan, Saleh Al-Karim, Roop S. Bora, Adeel G. Chaudhary, and Kulvinder S. Saini, “Cancer stem cells: a challenging paradigm for designing targeted drug therapies,” Drug Discovery Today, 2015.
- Michał Antoszczak, Maria Sobusiak, Ewa Maj, Joanna Wietrzyk, and Adam Huczyński, “Synthesis and antiproliferative activity of new bioconjugates of Salinomycin with amino acid esters,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters, 2015.
- Michał Antoszczak, Greta Klejborowska, Monika Kruszyk, Ewa Maj, Joanna Wietrzyk, and Adam Huczyński, “Synthesis and Antiproliferative Activity of Silybin Conjugates with Salinomycin and Monensin,” Chemical Biology & Drug Design, 2015.
- Jianxin Jiang, Huaiwen Chen, Chao Yu, Yingying Zhang, Meiyuan Chen, She Tian, and Chengyi Sun, “The promotion of salinomycin delivery to hepatocellular carcinoma cells through EGFR and CD133 aptamers conjugation by PLGA nanoparticles,” Nanomedicine, vol. 10, no. 12, pp. 1863–1879, 2015.
- Vinayak S Jamdade, Nikunj Sethi, Nitin A Mundhe, Parveen Kumar, Mangala Lahkar, and Neeraj Sinha, “Therapeutic targets of triple-negative breast cancer: a review,” British Journal of Pharmacology, 2015.
- Yu-Jeong Kim, Yarong Liu, Si Li, Jennifer Rohrs, Rachel Zhang, Xiaoyang Zhang, and Pin Wang, “Co-eradication of Breast Cancer Cells and Cancer Stem Cells by Cross-Linked Multilamellar Liposomes Enhances Tumor Treatment,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, pp. 150622180638004, 2015.
- Li-sen Qin, Pi-feng Jia, Zhi-qing Zhang, and Shi-ming Zhang, “ROS-p53-cyclophilin-D signaling mediates salinomycin-induced glioma cell necrosis,” Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 34, no. 1, 2015.
- Masaya Kai, Noriko Kanaya, Shang V. Wu, Carlos Mendez, Duc Nguyen, Thehang Luu, and Shiuan Chen, “Targeting breast cancer stem cells in triple-negative breast cancer using a combination of LBH589 and salinomycin,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 2015.
- Collynn F. Woeller, Charles W. O'Loughlin, Elisa Roztocil, Steven E. Feldon, and Richard P. Phipps, “Salinomycin and Other Polyether Ionophores Are a New Class of Antiscarring Agent,” Journal Of Biological Chemistry, vol. 290, no. 6, pp. 3563–3575, 2015.
- Seon-Mi Yu, and Song-Ja Kim, “Salinomycin causes dedifferentiation via the extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) pathway in rabbit articular chondrocytes,” Journal Of Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 196–202, 2015.
- Zahra Daman, Hamed Montazeri, Masoumeh Azizi, Faegheh Rezaie, Seyed Nasser Ostad, Mohsen Amini, and Kambiz Gilani, “Polymeric Micelles of PEG-PLA Copolymer as a Carrier for Salinomycin Against Gemcitabine-Resistant Pancreatic Cancer,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 3756–3767, 2015.
- Mari Masuda, Masaaki Sawa, and Tesshi Yamada, “Therapeutic targets in the Wnt signaling pathway: Feasibility of targeting TNIK in colorectal cancer,” Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 2015.
- Kahkashan Resham, Prinesh N. Patel, Dinesh Thummuri, Lalita Guntuku, Vanya Shah, Ramesh B. Bambal, and V. G. M. Naidu, “Preclinical drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics of salinomycin, a potential candidate for targeting human cancer stem cells,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 240, pp. 146–152, 2015.
- R. Seda Tığlı Aydın, Gökçe Kaynak, and Menemşe Gümüşderelioğlu, “Salinomycin encapsulated nanoparticles as a targeting vehicle for glioblastoma cells,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 2015.
- Minal Garg, “Targeting microRNAs in epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition-induced cancer stem cells: therapeutic approaches in cancer,” Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Targets, pp. 1–13, 2015.
- Adam Huczyński, Michał Antoszczak, Natalia Kleczewska, Marta Lewandowska, Ewa Maj, Joanna Stefańska, Joanna Wietrzyk, Jan Janczak, and Lech Celewicz, “Synthesis and biological activity of salinomycin conjugates with floxuridine,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 2015.
- Xiaoli Mao, Junjie Liu, Zhirong Gong, He Zhang, Ying Lu, Hao Zou, Yuan Yu, Yan Chen, Zhiguo Sun, Wei Li, Bohua Li, Jie Gao, and Yanqiang Zhong, “iRGD-conjugated DSPE-PEG2000 nanomicelles for targeted delivery of salinomycin for treatment of both liver cancer cells and cancer stem cells,” Nanomedicine, vol. 10, no. 17, pp. 2677–2695, 2015.
- Giuseppe Visani, Federica Loscocco, and Alessandro Isidori, “Nanocarriers targeting cancer stem cells: how to help drugs to find their way home,” Nanomedicine, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 1043–1046, 2015.
- Cristina Marucci, Gaia Fumagalli, Francesco Calogero, Alessandra Silvani, Michael S. Christodoulou, Nadine Martinet, and Daniele Passarella, “Natural Products and Cancer Stem Cells,” Current Pharmaceutical Design, vol. 21, no. 38, pp. 5547–5557, 2015.
- Ai-Ping Lei, Lun-Li Zhang, Wei Liu, and Yu-Fei Shi, “Cantharidin inhibits cell proliferation and induces apoptosis through G2/ME phase cell cycle arrest in hepatocellular carcinoma stem cells,” Oncology Reports, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 2970–2976, 2016.
- Patricia Sancho, Sonia Alcala, Valentyn Usachov, Patrick C. Hermann, and Bruno Sainz, “The ever-changing landscape of pancreatic cancer stem cells,” Pancreatology, 2016.
- Aniruddha Roy, and Shyh-Dar Li, “Modifying the tumor microenvironment using nanoparticle therapeutics,” Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, 2016.
- Chunying Zhang, Ying Lu, Qing Li, Jun Mao, Zhenhuan Hou, Xiaotang Yu, Shujun Fan, Jiazhi Li, Tong Gao, Bing Yan, Bo Wang, Bo Song, and Lianhong Li, “Salinomycin suppresses TGF-beta 1-induced epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 248, pp. 74–81, 2016.
- Peng Zhao, Guiquan Xia, Shuyun Dong, Zhaong-Xing Jiang, and Mingnan Chen, “An iTEP-salinomycin nanoparticle that specifically and effectively inhibits metastases of 4T1 orthotopic breast tumors,” Biomaterials, 2016.
- A K Najumudeen, A Jaiswal, B Lectez, C Oetken-Lindholm, C Guzmán, E Siljamäki, I M D Posada, E Lacey, T Aittokallio, and D Abankwa, “Cancer stem cell drugs target K-ras signaling in a stemness context,” Oncogene, 2016.
- Xiaoli Huang, Björn Borgström, Sebastian Kempengren, Lo Persson, Cecilia Hegardt, Daniel Strand, and Stina Oredsson, “Breast cancer stem cell selectivity of synthetic nanomolar-active salinomycin analogs,” BMC Cancer, vol. 16, no. 1, 2016.
- Petra Gener, Diana Fernandes de Sousa Rafael, Yolanda Fernández, Joan Sayós Ortega, Diego Arango, Ibane Abasolo, Mafalda Videira, and Simo Schwartz, “Cancer stem cells and personalized cancer nanomedicine,” Nanomedicine, 2016.
- Achraf Al Faraj, Asma Sultana Shaik, Elaref Ratemi, and Rabih Halwani, “Combination of drug-conjugated SWCNTs nanocarriers for efficient therapy of cancer stem cells in a breast cancer animal model,” Journal of Controlled Release, 2016.
- Saurabh Bandhavkar, “Cancer stem cells: a metastasizing menace!,” Cancer Medicine, 2016.
- Anna Julie Peired, Alessandro Sisti, and Paola Romagnani, “Renal Cancer Stem Cells: Characterization and Targeted Therapies,” Stem Cells International, vol. 2016, pp. 1–12, 2016.
- Wenxuan Zhang, Jun Wu, Bo Li, Hongna Wu, Liu Wang, Jie Hao, Song Wu, and Qi Zhou, “Structure–activity & structure–toxicity relationship study of salinomycin diastereoisomers and their benzoylated derivatives,” Org. Biomol. Chem., vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 2840–2845, 2016.
- Wenxuan Zhang, Jun Wu, Bo Li, Jie Xia, Hongna Wu, Liu Wang, Jie Hao, Qi Zhou, and Song Wu, “Synthesis and biological activity evaluation of 20-epi-salinomycin and its 20-O-acyl derivatives,” RSC Adv., vol. 6, no. 48, pp. 41885–41890, 2016.
- Jan Dominik Kuhlmann, Linda Hein Ina Kurth, Pauline Wimberger, and Anna Dubrovska, “Targeting Cancer Stem Cells: Promises and Challenges,” Anti-Cancer Agents In Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 38–58, 2016.