- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 101805, 9 pages
1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 Inhibits the RANKL Pathway and Impacts on the Production of Pathway-Associated Cytokines in Early Rheumatoid Arthritis
1Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, The Second Hospital of Shanxi Medical University, Taiyuan,
Shanxi 030001, China
2Department of Medicine, The Second Hospital of Shanxi Medical University, Taiyuan, Shanxi 030001, China
3Arizona Health Sciences Center, 1501 N. Campbell, Room 4104, P.O. Box 245051, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
4University of Washington, 1410 NE Campus Parkway, 459 Schmitz Hall, P.O. Box 355832, Seattle, WA 98195-5832, USA
Received 28 January 2013; Revised 1 April 2013; Accepted 3 April 2013
Academic Editor: Gary S. Stein
Copyright © 2013 Jing Luo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. C. Walsh, T. N. Crotti, S. R. Goldring, and E. M. Gravallese, “Rheumatic diseases: the effects of inflammation on bone,” Immunological Reviews, vol. 208, pp. 228–251, 2005.
- A. Stewart, L. M. Mackenzie, A. J. Black, and D. M. Reid, “Predicting erosive disease in rheumatoid arthritis. A longitudinal study of changes in bone density using digital X-ray radiogrammetry: a pilot study,” Rheumatology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 1561–1564, 2004.
- W. J. Boyle, W. S. Simonet, and D. L. Lacey, “Osteoclast differentiation and activation,” Nature, vol. 423, no. 6937, pp. 337–342, 2003.
- D. H. Jones, Y. Y. Kong, and J. M. Penninger, “Role of RANKL and RANK in bone loss and arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. ii32–ii39, 2002.
- I. E. Adamopoulos and E. P. Bowman, “Immune regulation of bone loss by Th17 cells,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 10, no. 5, article 225, 2008.
- H. Takayanagi, “Osteoimmunology and the effects of the immune system on bone,” Nature Reviews Rheumatology, vol. 5, pp. 667–676, 2009.
- N. J. Horwood, V. Kartsogiannis, J. M. W. Quinn, E. Romas, T. J. Martin, and M. T. Gillespie, “Activated T lymphocytes support osteoclast formation in vitro,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 265, no. 1, pp. 144–150, 1999.
- Y. Choi, K. M. Woo, S. H. Ko et al., “Osteoclastogenesis is enhanced by activated B cells but suppressed by activated CD8+ T cells,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 2179–2188, 2001.
- S. M. Dai, H. Matsuno, H. Nakamura, K. Nishioka, and K. Yudoh, “Interleukin-18 enhances monocyte tumor necrosis factor α and interleukin-1β production induced by direct contact with T lymphocytes: implications in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 432–443, 2004.
- S. Kotake, N. Udagawa, N. Takahashi et al., “IL-17 in synovial fluids from patients with rheumatoid arthritis is a potent stimulator of osteoclastogenesis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 103, no. 9, pp. 1345–1352, 1999.
- L. C. Hofbauer, D. L. Lacey, C. R. Dunstan, T. C. Spelsberg, B. L. Riggs, and S. Khosla, “Interleukin-1β and tumor necrosis factor-α, but not interleukin-6, stimulate osteoprotegerin ligand gene expression in human osteoblastic cells,” Bone, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 255–259, 1999.
- C. A. O'Brien, I. Gubrij, S. C. Lin, R. L. Saylors, and S. C. Manolagas, “STAT3 activation in stromal/osteoblastic cells is required for induction of the receptor activator of NF-κB ligand and stimulation of osteoclastogenesis by gp130-utilizing cytokines or interleukin-1 but not 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 or parathyroid hormone,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 274, no. 27, pp. 19301–19308, 1999.
- B. F. Boyce and L. Xing, “Biology of RANK, RANKL, and osteoprotegerin,” Arthritis Research and Therapy, vol. 9, supplement 1, article S1, 2007.
- H. K. Nielsen, K. Brixen, M. Kassem, and L. Mosekilde, “Acute effect of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, prednisone, and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 plus prednisone on serum osteocalcin in normal individuals,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 435–441, 1991.
- M. Cippitelli and A. Santoni, “Vitamin D3: a transcriptional modulator of the interferon-gamma gene,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 3017–3030, 1998.
- S. C. Manolagas, D. A. Werntz, C. D. Tsoukas, D. M. Provvedini, and J. H. Vaughan, “1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptors in lymphocytes from patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 108, no. 6, pp. 596–600, 1986.
- J. A. M. Wessels, T. W. J. Huizinga, and H. J. Guchelaar, “Recent insights in the pharmacological actions of methotrexate in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 249–255, 2008.
- F. C. Arnett, S. M. Edworthy, D. A. Bloch et al., “The American rheumatism association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 315–324, 1988.
- J. M. Kremer, “Methotrexate therapy in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 533–556, 1989.
- S. L. Teitelbaum, “Bone resorption by osteoclasts,” Science, vol. 289, no. 5484, pp. 1504–1508, 2000.
- N. Maruotti, M. Grano, S. Colucci, F. d'Onofrio, and F. P. Cantatore, “Osteoclastogenesis and arthritis,” Clinical and Experimental Medicine, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 137–145, 2011.
- S. Khosla, “Minireview: The OPG/RANKL/RANK system,” Endocrinology, vol. 142, no. 12, pp. 5050–5055, 2001.
- H. R. Kim, S. H. Lee, and H. Y. Kim, “Elevated serum levels of soluble receptor activator of nuclear factors-κB ligand (sRANKL) and reduced bone mineral density in patients with ankylosing spondylitis (AS),” Rheumatology, vol. 45, no. 10, pp. 1197–1200, 2006.
- R. Zhang and D. P. Naughton, “Vitamin D in health and disease: current perspectives,” Nutrition Journal, vol. 9, no. 1, article 65, 2010.
- J. R. Moro, M. Iwata, and U. H. von Andriano, “Vitamin effects on the immune system: vitamins A and D take centre stage,” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 8, pp. 685–698, 2008.
- L. B. Pedersen, F. E. Nashold, K. M. Spach, and C. E. Hayes, “1,25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 reverses experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by inhibiting chemokine synthesis and monocyte trafficking,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 85, no. 11, pp. 2480–2490, 2007.
- L. Adorini and G. Penna, “Control of autoimmune diseases by the vitamin D endocrine system,” Nature Clinical Practice Rheumatology, vol. 4, pp. 404–412, 2008.
- J. Smolders, M. Thewissen, E. Peelen et al., “Vitamin D status is positively correlated with regulatory T cell function in patients with multiple sclerosis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 4, no. 8, Article ID e6635, 2009.
- W. Royal, Y. Mia, H. Li, and K. Naunton, “Peripheral blood regulatory T cell measurements correlate with serum vitamin D levels in patients with multiple sclerosis,” Journal of Neuroimmunology, vol. 213, no. 1-2, pp. 135–141, 2009.
- T. Suda, Y. Ueno, K. Fujii, and T. Shinki, “Vitamin D and bone,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 259–266, 2003.
- X. Y. Zhao, L. H. Ly, D. M. Peehl, and D. Feldman, “Induction of androgen receptor by α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 and 9-cis retinoic acid in LNCaP human prostate cancer cells,” Endocrinology, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 1205–1212, 1999.
- C. K. Lee, E. Y. Lee, S. M. Chung, S. H. Mun, B. Yoo, and H. B. Moon, “Effects of disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs and antiinflammatory cytokines on human osteoclastogenesis through interaction with receptor activator of nuclear factor κB, osteoprotegerin, and receptor activator of nuclear factor κB ligand,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 50, no. 12, pp. 3831–3843, 2004.
- B. W. Kirkham, M. N. Lassere, J. P. Edmonds et al., “Synovial membrahe cytokine expression is predictive of joint damage progression in rheumatoid arthritis a two-year prospective study(the damage study cohort),” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 1122–1131, 2006.
- M. Hashizume, N. Hayakawa, and M. Mihara, “IL-6 trans-signalling directly induces RANKL on fibroblast-like synovial cells and is involved in RANKL induction by TNF-α and IL-17,” Rheumatology, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 1635–1640, 2008.
- A. M. Tyagi, K. Srivastava, M. N. Mansoori, R. Trivedi, N. Chattopadhyay, and D. Singh, “Estrogen deficiency induces the differentiation of IL-17 secreting Th17 cells: a new candidate in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 9, Article ID e44552, 2012.
- K. A. Deuell, A. Callegari, C. M. Giachelli, M. E. Rosenfeld, and M. Scatena, “RANKL enhances macrophage paracrine pro-calcific activity in high phosphate-treated smooth muscle cells: dependence on IL-6 and TNF-α,” Journal of Vascular Research, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 510–521, 2012.