- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 102918, 10 pages
Ethanol Extract of Cordyceps militaris Grown on Germinated Soybeans Attenuates Dextran-Sodium-Sulfate- (DSS-) Induced Colitis by Suppressing the Expression of Matrix Metalloproteinases and Inflammatory Mediators
1Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Konkuk University, 1 Hwayang-dong, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul 143-701, Republic of Korea
2Cell Activation Research Institute, Konkuk University, 1 Hwayang-dong, Gwangjin-gu, Seoul 143-701, Republic of Korea
Received 28 February 2013; Revised 23 May 2013; Accepted 27 May 2013
Academic Editor: Nick Di Girolamo
Copyright © 2013 Dong Ki Park and Hye-Jin Park. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. G. Vilela, H. O. da Gama Torres, F. P. Martin, M. de Lourdes de Abreu Ferrari, M. M. Andrade, and A. S. da Cunha, “Evaluation of inflammatory activity in Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 872–881, 2012.
- M. D. Baugh, M. J. Perry, A. P. Hollander et al., “Matrix metalloproteinase levels are elevated in inflammatory bowel disease,” Gastroenterology, vol. 117, no. 4, pp. 814–822, 1999.
- B. Dahlen, J. Shute, and P. Howarth, “Immunohistochemical localisation of the matrix metalloproteinases MMP-3 and MMP-9 within the airways in asthma,” Thorax, vol. 54, no. 7, pp. 590–596, 1999.
- S. Travis, “Advances in therapeutic approaches to ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease,” Current Gastroenterology Reports, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 475–484, 2005.
- H.-J. Cho, J. Y. Cho, M. H. Rhee, and H.-J. Park, “Cordycepin (3′-deoxyadenosine) inhibits human platelet aggregation in a cyclic AMP- and cyclic GMP-dependent manner,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 558, no. 1–3, pp. 43–51, 2007.
- E. S. Han, J. Y. Oh, and H.-J. Park, “Cordyceps militaris extract suppresses dextran sodium sulfate-induced acute colitis in mice and production of inflammatory mediators from macrophages and mast cells,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 703–710, 2011.
- J. Y. Oh, W.-S. Choi, C. H. Lee, and H.-J. Park, “The ethyl acetate extract of Cordyceps militaris inhibits IgE-mediated allergic responses in mast cells and passive cutaneous anaphylaxis reaction in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 135, no. 2, pp. 422–429, 2011.
- J. N. Choi, J. Kim, M. Y. Lee, D. K. Park, Y.-S. Hong, and C. H. Lee, “Metabolomics revealed novel isoflavones and optimal cultivation time of Cordyceps militaris fermentation,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 4258–4267, 2010.
- D. K. Park, W. S. Choi, and H.-J. Park, “Antiallergic activity of novel isoflavone methyl-glycosides from Cordyceps militaris grown on germinated soybeans in antigen-stimulated mast cells,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 60, no. 9, pp. 2309–2315, 2012.
- Y.-T. Azuma, K. Nishiyama, Y. Matsuo et al., “PPARα contributes to colonic protection in mice with DSS-induced colitis,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 10, no. 10, pp. 1261–1267, 2010.
- A. N. Ananthakrishnan, C. Hur, and J. R. Korzenik, “Certolizumab pegol compared to natalizumab in patients with moderate to severe crohn's disease: results of a decision analysis,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 472–480, 2012.
- S. U. Park, E. S. Choi, Y. S. Jang, S.-H. Hong, I.-H. Kim, and D. K. Chang, “Effects of chromosomal polyploidy on survival of colon cancer cells,” The Korean Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 150–157, 2011.
- H.-J. Park, E. S. Han, D. K. Park, C. Lee, and K. W. Lee, “An extract of Phellinus linteus grown on germinated brown rice inhibits inflammation markers in RAW264.7 macrophages by suppressing inflammatory cytokines, chemokines, and mediators and up-regulating antioxidant activity,” Journal of Medicinal Food, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 1468–1477, 2010.
- Y. Naito, T. Takagi, M. Kuroda et al., “An orally active matrix metalloproteinase inhibitor, ONO-4817, reduces dextran sulfate sodium-induced colitis in mice,” Inflammation Research, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 462–468, 2004.
- T.-Y. Huang, H.-C. Chu, Y.-L. Lin et al., “Minocycline attenuates experimental colitis in mice by blocking expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and matrix metalloproteinases,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 237, no. 1, pp. 69–82, 2009.
- M. Steenport, K. M. F. Khan, B. Du, S. E. Barnhard, A. J. Dannenberg, and D. J. Falcone, “Matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-1 and MMP-3 induce macrophage MMP-9: evidence for the role of TNF-α and cyclooxygenase-2,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 183, no. 12, pp. 8119–8127, 2009.
- R. K. Cross and K. T. Wilson, “Nitric oxide in inflammatory bowel disease,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 179–189, 2003.
- M. J. Rosen, M. R. Frey, M. K. Washington et al., “STAT6 activation in ulcerative colitis: a new target for prevention of IL-13-induced colon epithelial cell dysfunction,” Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2224–2234, 2011.
- S. Danese, J. F. Colombel, L. Peyrin-Biroulet, P. Rutgeerts, and W. Reinisch, “Review article: the role of anti-TNF in the management of ulcerative colitis: past, present and future,” Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 855–866, 2013.
- G. Pickert, C. Neufert, M. Leppkes et al., “STAT3 links IL-22 signaling in intestinal epithelial cells to mucosal wound healing,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 206, no. 7, pp. 1465–1472, 2009.
- R. R. M. Paterson, “Cordyceps: a traditional Chinese medicine and another fungal therapeutic biofactory?” Phytochemistry, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 1469–1495, 2008.
- M. Morimoto, T. Watanabe, M. Yamori, M. Takebe, and Y. Wakatsuki, “Isoflavones regulate innate immunity and inhibit experimental colitis,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1123–1129, 2009.
- R. Miranda H, P. Castro G, P. H. Verdejo et al., “Oxidative stress and inflammation in heart failure: mechanisms of damage and therapeutic alternatives,” Revista Medica de Chile, vol. 135, no. 8, pp. 1056–1063, 2007.
- C. F. Krieglstein, W. H. Cerwinka, F. S. Laroux et al., “Regulation of murine intestinal inflammation by reactive metabolites of oxygen and nitrogen: divergent roles of superoxide and nitric oxide,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 194, no. 9, pp. 1207–1218, 2001.
- J. R. Korzenik, “Crohn's disease: future anti-tumor necrosis factor therapies beyond infliximab,” Gastroenterology Clinics of North America, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 285–301, 2004.
- G. D'Argenio, M. G. Farrace, V. Cosenza et al., “Expression of apoptosis-related proteins in rat with induced colitis,” International Journal of Colorectal Disease, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 451–460, 2004.