- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 104059, 8 pages
Cardiovascular and Renal Effects of Bromocriptine in Diabetic Patients with Stage 4 Chronic Kidney Disease
1Coordinación de Educación e Investigación en Salud, Unidad de Medicina Familiar No. 80, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social (IMSS), Morelia, Mich, Mexico
2Escuela Superior de Medicina, Instituto Politécnico Nacional, México, DF, Mexico
3Unidad de Investigación en Enfermedades Nefrológicas (IMSS), México, DF, Mexico
4Hospital General Regional No 1. (IMSS), Morelia, Mich, Mexico
5Divisions of Baxter Novum and Renal Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 2 July 2013; Accepted 5 July 2013
Academic Editor: Vecihi Batuman
Copyright © 2013 Oliva Mejía-Rodríguez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- US Renal Data System, USRDS 2004 Annual Data Report: Atlas of End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. National Institute of Health. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, Md, USA, 2004.
- L. P. McMahon and P. S. Parfrey, “Cardiovascular aspects of chronic kidney disease,” in Brenner & Rector's the Kidney, B. M. Brenner, Ed., pp. 1697–1727, Saunders Elsevier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 8th edition, 2008.
- E. L. Schiffrin, M. L. Lipman, and J. F. E. Mann, “Chronic kidney disease: effects on the cardiovascular system,” Circulation, vol. 116, no. 1, pp. 85–97, 2007.
- P. S. Parfrey, R. N. Foley, J. D. Harnett, G. M. Kent, D. C. Murray, and P. E. Barre, “Outcome and risk factors for left ventricular disorders in chronic uraemia,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 1277–1285, 1996.
- R. M. Fagugli, P. Pasini, G. Quintaliani et al., “Association between extracellular water, left ventricular mass and hypertension in haemodialysis patients,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 2332–2338, 2003.
- M. J. Sarnak, T. Greene, X. Wang et al., “The effect of a lower target blood pressure on the progression of kidney disease: long-term follow-up of the modification of diet in renal disease study,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 142, no. 5, pp. 342–351, 2005.
- R. W. Schrier, R. O. Estacio, A. Esler, and P. Mehler, “Effects of aggressive blood pressure control in normotensive type 2 diabetic patients on albuminuria, retinopathy and strokes,” Kidney International, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 1086–1097, 2002.
- J. S. Silberberg, P. E. Barre, S. S. Prichard, and A. D. Sniderman, “Impact of left ventricular hypertrophy on survival in end-stage renal disease,” Kidney International, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 286–290, 1989.
- R. N. Foley, P. S. Parfrey, J. D. Harnett, G. M. Kent, D. C. Murray, and P. E. Barre, “The prognostic importance of left ventricular geometry in uremic cardiomyopathy,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 5, no. 12, pp. 2024–2031, 1995.
- P. Ruggenenti, P. Cravedi, and G. Remuzzi, “The RAAS in the pathogenesis and treatment of diabetic nephropathy,” Nature Reviews, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 319–330, 2010.
- W. L. Henrich, “Optimal cardiovascular therapy for patients with ESRD over the next several years,” Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 4, supplement 1, pp. S106–S109, 2009.
- K. Masuo, G. W. Lambert, M. D. Esler, H. Rakugi, T. Ogihara, and M. P. Schlaich, “The role of sympathetic nervous activity in renal injury and end-stage renal disease,” Hypertension Research, vol. 33, no. 6, pp. 521–528, 2010.
- L. C. Rump, K. Amann, S. Orth, and E. Ritz, “Sympathetic overactivity in renal disease: a window to understand progression and cardiovascular complications of uraemia?” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1735–1738, 2000.
- M. P. Schlaich, F. Socratous, S. Hennebry et al., “Sympathetic activation in chronic renal failure,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 933–939, 2009.
- A. N. Elias, N. D. Vaziri, and M. Maksy, “Plasma norepinephrine, epinephrine, and dopamine levels in end-stage renal disease. Effect of hemodialysis,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 145, no. 6, pp. 1013–1015, 1985.
- M. G. Ziegler, B. Kennedy, E. Morrissey, and D. T. O'Connor, “Norepinephrine clearance, chromogranin A and dopamine β hydroxylase in renal failure,” Kidney International, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 1357–1362, 1990.
- A. Sturani, E. Degli Esposti, A. De March et al., “Dopaminergic control of sympathetic activity and blood pressure in haemodialysis patients,” Proceedings of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association, vol. 20, pp. 156–160, 1983.
- D. J. Brotman, L. D. Bash, R. Qayyum et al., “Heart rate variability predicts ESRD and CKD-related hospitalization,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 21, no. 9, pp. 1560–1570, 2010.
- L. Siddiqi, N. H. Prakken, B. K. Velthuis et al., “Sympathetic activity in chronic kidney disease patients is related to left ventricular mass despite antihypertensive treatment,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 3272–3277, 2010.
- Y. Akiyama-Uchida, N. Ashizawa, A. Ohtsuru et al., “Norepinephrine enhances fibrosis mediated by TGF-β in cardiac fibroblasts,” Hypertension, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 148–154, 2002.
- O. Mejía-Rodríguez, C. Alvarez-Aguilar, M. Ledesma-Ramirez, and R. Paniagua-Sierra, “Therapeutic effect of bromocriptine together with the established treatment for hypertension in patients undergoing peritoneal dialysis,” Proceedings of the Western Pharmacology Society, vol. 47, pp. 122–124, 2004.
- O. Mejía-Rodríguez, C. Alvarez-Aguilar, H. E. Vega-Gómez, F. Belio-Caro, J. M. Vargas-Espinosa, and J. R. Paniagua-Sierra, “Bromocriptine induces regression of left ventricular hypertrophy in peritoneal dialysis patients,” Proceedings of the Western Pharmacology Society, vol. 48, pp. 122–125, 2005.
- E. Degli Esposti, A. Sturani, and A. Santoro, “Effect of bromocriptine treatment on prolactin, noradrenaline and blood pressure in hypertensive haemodialysis patients,” Clinical Science, vol. 69, no. 1, pp. 51–56, 1985.
- H. Pijl, S. Ohashi, M. Matsuda et al., “Bromocriptine: a novel approach to the treatment of type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1154–1161, 2000.
- A. Aminorroaya, M. Janghorbani, M. Ramezani, S. Haghighi, and M. Amini, “Does bromocriptine improve glycemic control of obese type-2 diabetics?” Hormone Research, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 55–59, 2004.
- R. Scranton and A. Cincotta, “Bromocriptine unique formulation of a dopamine agonist for the treatment of type 2 diabetes,” Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 269–279, 2010.
- A. Grubb, J. Björk, V. Lindström, G. Sterner, P. Bondesson, and U. Nyman, “A cystatin C-based formula without anthropometric variables estimates glomerular filtration rate better than creatinine clearance using the Cockcroft-Gault formula,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical and Laboratory Investigation, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 153–162, 2005.
- A. H. Cincotta, A. H. Meier, and J. Cincotta M., “Bromocriptine improves glycaemic control and serum lipid profile in obese Type 2 diabetic subjects: a new approach in the treatment of diabetes,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 1683–1707, 1999.
- A. Ksiazek and W. Załuska, “Sympathetic overactivity in uremia,” Journal of Renal Nutrition, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 118–121, 2008.
- A. Kagan, A. Gertler, M. Ulman, and Y. Bar-Khayim, “Serum levels and peritoneal loss of prolactin in CAPD patients,” Advances in Peritoneal Dialysis. Conference on Peritoneal Dialysis, vol. 7, pp. 247–252, 1991.
- G.-J. Wang, N. D. Volkow, J. Logan et al., “Brain dopamine and obesity,” The Lancet, vol. 357, no. 9253, pp. 354–357, 2001.
- R. G. IJzerman, C. D. A. Stehouwer, E. J. de Geus, M. M. van Weissenbruch, H. A. Delemarre-van de Waal, and D. I. Boomsma, “Low birth weight is associated with increased sympathetic Activity: dependence on genetic factors,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 5, pp. 566–571, 2003.
- S. S. Ghosh, R. J. Krieg, D. A. Sica, R. Wang, I. Fakhry, and T. Gehr, “Cardiac hypertrophy in neonatal nephrectomized rats: the role of the sympathetic nervous system,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 367–377, 2009.
- V. Kamath, C. N. Jones, J. C. Yip et al., “Effects of a quick-release form of bromocriptine (Ergoset) on fasting and postprandial plasma glucose, insulin, lipid, and lipoprotein concentrations in obese nondiabetic hyperinsulinemic women,” Diabetes Care, vol. 20, no. 11, pp. 1697–1701, 1997.
- S. Perlini, G. Palladini, I. Ferrero et al., “Sympathectomy or doxazosin, but not propranolol, blunt myocardial interstitial fibrosis in pressure-overload hypertrophy,” Hypertension, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 1213–1218, 2005.
- J. M. Gaziano, A. H. Cincotta, C. M. O'Connor et al., “Randomized clinical trial of quick-release bromocriptine among patients with type 2 diabetes on overall safety and cardiovascular outcomes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 1503–1508, 2010.
- R. McMurray, D. Keisler, K. Kanuckel, S. Izui, and S. E. Walker, “Prolactin influences autoimmune disease activity in the female B/W mouse,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 147, no. 11, pp. 3780–3787, 1991.
- J. M. Miranda, R. E. Prieto, R. Paniagua et al., “Clinical significance of serum and urine prolactin levels in lupus glomerulonephritis,” Lupus, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 387–391, 1998.
- S. E. Walker, “Treatment of systemic lupus erythematosus with bromocriptine,” Lupus, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 197–202, 2001.
- R. A. Defronzo, “Bromocriptine: a sympatholytic, D2-dopamine agonist for the treatment of type 2 diabetes,” Diabetes Care, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 789–794, 2011.