- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 104892, 8 pages
Clinical Benefits of an Adherence Monitoring Program in the Management of Secondary Hyperparathyroidism with Cinacalcet: Results of a Prospective Randomized Controlled Study
1Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Rue du Bugnon 17, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
2AARDEX Group Ltd., Rue des Cyclistes Frontiére 24, B4600 Visé, Belgium
Received 2 April 2013; Revised 5 June 2013; Accepted 9 June 2013
Academic Editor: Christian-Heinz Anderwald
Copyright © 2013 Valentina Forni Ogna et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Loghman-Adham, “Medication noncompliance in patients with chronic disease: issues in dialysis and renal transplantation,” American Journal of Managed Care, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 155–171, 2003.
- J. E. Leggat Jr., “Adherence with dialysis: a focus on mortality risk,” Seminars in Dialysis, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 137–141, 2005.
- S. K. Ganesh, A. G. Stack, N. W. Levin, T. Hulbert-Shearon, and F. K. Port, “Association of elevated serum PO4, Ca × PO4 product, and parathyroid hormone with cardiac mortality risk in chronic hemodialysis patients,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 2131–2138, 2001.
- J. E. Leggat Jr., S. M. Orzol, T. E. Hulbert-Shearon et al., “Noncompliance in hemodialysis: predictors and survival analysis,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 139–145, 1998.
- G. A. Block, T. E. Hulbert-Shearon, N. W. Levin, and F. K. Port, “Association of serum phosphorus and calcium × phosphate product with mortality risk in chronic hemodialysis patients: a national study,” American Journal of Kidney Diseases, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 607–617, 1998.
- R. Saran, J. L. Bragg-Gresham, H. C. Rayner et al., “Nonadherence in hemodialysis: associations with mortality, hospitalization, and practice patterns in the DOPPS,” Kidney International, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 254–262, 2003.
- R. B. Curtin, B. L. Svarstad, and T. H. Keller, “Hemodialysis patients' noncompliance with oral medications,” American Nephrology Nurses Association Journal, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 307–335, 1999.
- A. J. Claxton, J. Cramer, and C. Pierce, “A systematic review of the associations between dose regimens and medication compliance,” Clinical Therapeutics, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1296–1310, 2001.
- G. A. Block, K. J. Martin, A. L. M. de Francisco et al., “Cinacalcet for secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients receiving hemodialysis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 15, pp. 1516–1525, 2004.
- J. S. Lindberg, B. Culleton, G. Wong et al., “Cinacalcet HCl, an oral calcimimetic agent for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis: a randomized, double-blind, multicenter study,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 800–807, 2005.
- A. Lee, X. Song, I. Khan et al., “Association of cinacalcet adherence and costs in patients on dialysis,” Journal of Medical Economics, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 798–804, 2011.
- M. Burnier, V. Santschi, B. Favrat, and H. R. Brunner, “Monitoring compliance in resistant hypertension: an important step in patient management,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. S37–S42, 2003.
- M. Pruijm, D. Teta, G. Halabi, G. Wuerzner, V. Santschi, and M. Burnier, “Improvement in secondary hyperparathyroidism due to drug adherence monitoring in dialysis patients,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 199–205, 2009.
- B. Vrijens, G. Vincze, P. Kristanto, J. Urquhart, and M. Burnier, “Adherence to prescribed antihypertensive drug treatments: longitudinal study of electronically compiled dosing histories,” British Medical Journal, vol. 336, no. 7653, pp. 1114–1117, 2008.
- P. Bovet, M. Burnier, G. Madeleine, B. Waeber, and F. Paccaud, “Monitoring one-year compliance to antihypertension medication in the Seychelles,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2002.
- W. G. Goodman, G. A. Hladik, S. A. Turner et al., “The calcimimetic agent AMG 073 lowers plasma parathyroid hormone levels in hemodialysis patients with secondary hyperparathyroidism,” Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1017–1024, 2002.
- J. R. Gilbert, C. E. Evans, R. B. Haynes, and P. Tugwell, “Predicting compliance with a regimen of digoxin therapy in family practice,” Canadian Medical Association journal, vol. 123, no. 2, pp. 119–122, 1980.
- A. H. P. Paes, A. Bakker, and C. J. Soe-Agnie, “Impact of dosage frequency on patient compliance,” Diabetes Care, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1512–1517, 1997.
- B. Vrijens, A. Belmans, K. Matthys, et al., “Effect of intervention through a pharmaceutical care program on patient adherence with prescribed once-daily atorvastatin,” Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 115–121, 2006.