- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 106041, 7 pages
The Effects of Pterostilbene on Neutrophil Activity in Experimental Model of Arthritis
1Institute of Experimental Pharmacology and Toxicology, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Dubravska Cesta 9,
841 04 Bratislava, Slovakia
2Institute of Biophysics, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v. v. i., Kralovopolska 135, 612 65 Brno, Czech Republic
3Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, v.v.i., Flemingovo Namesti 2, 166 10 Prague, Czech Republic
Received 10 July 2013; Accepted 25 August 2013
Academic Editor: Fausto Catena
Copyright © 2013 Tomas Perecko et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. K. Hurst, “What really happens in the neutrophil phagosome?” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 508–520, 2012.
- V. Witko-Sarsat, P. Rieu, B. Descamps-Latscha, P. Lesavre, and L. Halbwachs-Mecarelli, “Neutrophils: molecules, functions and pathophysiological aspects,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 617–654, 2000.
- S. W. Edwards and M. B. Hallett, “Seeing the wood for the trees: the forgotten role of neutrophils in rheumatoid arthritis,” Immunology Today, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 320–324, 1997.
- S. P. Loukogeorgakis, M. J. Van Den Berg, R. Sofat et al., “Role of NADPH oxidase in endothelial ischemia/reperfusion injury in humans,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 21, pp. 2310–2316, 2010.
- R. Cascão, H. S. Rosário, and J. E. Fonseca, “Neutrophils: warriors and commanders in immune mediated inflammatory diseases,” Acta Reumatológica Portuguesa B, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 313–326, 2009.
- H. Li and A. Wan, “Apoptosis of rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes: possible roles of nitric oxide and the thioredoxin 1,” Mediators of Inflammation, vol. 2013, Article ID 953462, 8 pages, 2013.
- W. Mohr, A. Wild, and H. P. Wolf, “Role of polymorphs in inflammatory cartilage destruction in adjuvant arthritis of rats,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 171–176, 1981.
- W. Mohr, H. Westerhellweg, and D. Wessinghage, “Polymorphonuclear granulocytes in rheumatic tissue destruction. III. An electron microscopic study of PMNs at the pannus-cartilage junction in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 40, no. 4, pp. 396–399, 1981.
- S. Fox, A. E. Leitch, R. Duffin, C. Haslett, and A. G. Rossi, “Neutrophil apoptosis: relevance to the innate immune response and inflammatory disease,” Journal of Innate Immunity, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 216–227, 2010.
- P. Kohli and B. D. Levy, “Resolvins and protectins: mediating solutions to inflammation,” British Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 158, no. 4, pp. 960–971, 2009.
- C. N. Serhan, “The resolution of inflammation: the devil in the flask and in the details,” FASEB Journal, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 1441–1448, 2011.
- J. M. Hallett, A. E. Leitch, N. A. Riley, R. Duffin, C. Haslett, and A. G. Rossi, “Novel pharmacological strategies for driving inflammatory cell apoptosis and enhancing the resolution of inflammation,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 250–257, 2008.
- S. Ponist, D. Mihalova, V. Jancinova et al., “Reduction of oxidative stress in adjuvant arthritis. Comparison of efficacy of two pyridoindoles: stobadine dipalmitate and SMe1.2HCl,” Acta Biochimica Polonica, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 223–228, 2010.
- J. K. Grover, V. Vats, and S. S. Yadav, “Pterocarpus marsupium extract (Vijayasar) prevented the alteration in metabolic patterns induced in the normal rat by feeding an adequate diet containing fructose as sole carbohydrate,” Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 414–420, 2005.
- P. Langcake, C. A. Cornford, and R. J. Pryce, “Identification of pterostilbene as a phytoalexin from Vitis vinifera leaves,” Phytochemistry, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 1025–1027, 1979.
- B. Paul, I. Masih, J. Deopujari, and C. Charpentier, “Occurrence of resveratrol and pterostilbene in age-old darakchasava, an ayurvedic medicine from India,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 68, no. 1–3, pp. 71–76, 1999.
- C. M. Remsberg, J. A. Yáñez, Y. Ohgami, K. R. Vega-Villa, A. M. Rimando, and N. M. Davies, “Pharmacometrics of pterostilbene: preclinical pharmacokinetics and metabolism, anticancer, antiinflammatory, antioxidant and analgesic activity,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 169–179, 2008.
- K. A. Roupe, C. M. Remsberg, J. A. Yáñez, and N. M. Davies, “Pharmacometrics of stilbenes: seguing towards the clinic,” Current Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 81–101, 2006.
- M. H. Pan, Y. H. Chang, M. L. Tsai et al., “Pterostilbene suppressed lipopolysaccharide-induced up-expression of iNOS and COX-2 in murine macrophages,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 56, no. 16, pp. 7502–7509, 2008.
- T. Perečko, V. Jančinová, K. Drábiková, R. Nosál', and J. Harmatha, “Structure-efficiency relationship in derivatives of stilbene. Comparison of resveratrol, pinosylvin and pterostilbene,” Neuroendocrinology Letters, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 802–805, 2008.
- H. Miki and Y. Funato, “Regulation of intracellular signalling through cysteine oxidation by reactive oxygen species,” Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 151, no. 3, pp. 255–261, 2012.
- J. Šmidrkal, J. Harmatha, M. BudìŠínský et al., “Modified approach for preparing (E)-Stilbenes related to resveratrol, and evaluation of their potential immunobiological effects,” Collection of Czechoslovak Chemical Communications, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 175–186, 2010.
- K. Bauerova, S. Ponist, D. Mihalova, F. Drafi, and V. Kuncirova, “Utilization of adjuvant arthritis model for evaluation of new approaches in rheumatoid arthritis therapy focused on regulation of immune processes and oxidative stress,” Interdisciplinary Toxicology, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 33–39, 2011.
- M. A. Satheesh and L. Pari, “The antioxidant role of pterostilbene in streptozotocin-nicotinamide- induced type 2 diabetes mellitus in Wistar rats,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, vol. 58, no. 11, pp. 1483–1490, 2006.
- M. F. Lee, M. L. Liu, A. C. Cheng et al., “Pterostilbene inhibits dimethylnitrosamine-induced liver fibrosis in rats,” Food Chemistry, vol. 138, no. 2-3, pp. 802–807, 2013.
- S. C. Yeo, P. C. Ho, and H. S. Lin, “Pharmacokinetics of pterostilbene in Sprague-Dawley rats: the impacts of aqueous solubility, fasting, dose escalation, and dosing route on bioavailability,” Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 1015–1025, 2013.
- V. Jancinova, T. Perecko, R. Nosal, D. Kostalova, K. Bauerova, and K. Drabikova, “Decreased activity of neutrophils in the presence of diferuloylmethane (curcumin) involves protein kinase C inhibition,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 612, no. 1–3, pp. 161–166, 2009.
- I. Papezikova, A. Lojek, H. Cizova, and M. Ciz, “Alterations in plasma antioxidants during reperfusion of the ischemic small intestine in rats,” Research in Veterinary Science, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 140–147, 2006.
- G. B. Segel, M. W. Halterman, and M. A. Lichtman, “The paradox of the neutrophil's role in tissue injury,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 359–372, 2011.
- J. Robinson, F. Watson, R. C. Bucknall, and S. W. Edwards, “Activation of neutrophil reactive-oxidant production by synovial fluid from patients with inflammatory joint disease: soluble and insoluble immunoglobulin aggregates activate different pathways in primed and unprimed cells,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 286, no. 2, pp. 345–351, 1992.
- I. M. Kapetanovic, M. Muzzio, Z. Huang, T. N. Thompson, and D. L. McCormick, “Pharmacokinetics, oral bioavailability, and metabolic profile of resveratrol and its dimethylether analog, pterostilbene, in rats,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 68, no. 3, pp. 593–601, 2011.
- V. Jancinova, T. Perecko, R. Nosal, J. Harmatha, J. Smidrkal, and K. Drabikova, “The natural stilbenoid pinosylvin and activated neutrophils: effects on oxidative burst, protein kinase C, apoptosis and efficiency in adjuvant arthritis,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 33, pp. 1285–1292, 2012.
- T. Macickova, K. Drabikova, R. Nosal et al., “In vivo effect of pinosylvin and pterostilbene in the animal model of adjuvant arthritis,” Neuro Endocrinology Letters, vol. 31, supplement 2, pp. 91–95, 2010.
- X. Gao, Y. X. Xu, N. Janakiraman, R. A. Chapman, and S. C. Gautam, “Immunomodulatory activity of resveratrol: suppression of lymphocyte proliferation, development of cell-mediated cytotoxicity, and cytokine production,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 1299–1308, 2001.
- N. Richard, D. Porath, A. Radspieler, and J. Schwager, “Effects of resveratrol, piceatannol, triacetoxystilbene, and genistein on the inflammatory response of human peripheral blood leukocytes,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 431–442, 2005.
- S. Paul, A. J. DeCastro, H. J. Lee et al., “Dietary intake of pterostilbene, a constituent of blueberries, inhibits the β-catenin/p65 downstream signaling pathway and colon carcinogenesis in rats,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 31, no. 7, pp. 1272–1278, 2010.
- K. Makni-Maalej, M. Chiandotto, M. Hurtado-Nedelec et al., “Zymosan induces NADPH oxidase activation in human neutrophils by inducing the phosphorylation of p47phox and the activation of Rac2: involvement of protein tyrosine kinases, PI3Kinase, PKC, ERK1/2 and p38MAPkinase,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 92–100, 2013.
- J. Das, S. Pany, and A. Majhi, “Chemical modifications of resveratrol for improved protein kinase C alpha activity,” Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 19, no. 18, pp. 5321–5333, 2011.
- T. Perecko, K. Drabikova, L. Rackova et al., “Molecular targets of the natural antioxidant pterostilbene: effect on protein kinase C, caspase-3 and apoptosis in human neutrophils in vitro,” Neuroendocrinology Letters, vol. 31, supplement 2, pp. 84–90, 2010.