- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 107238, 8 pages
Extending the Serum Half-Life of G-CSF via Fusion with the Domain III of Human Serum Albumin
State Key Laboratory of Natural Medicines, School of Life Science and Technology, China Pharmaceutical University, Tongjiaxiang 24, Nanjing 210009, China
Received 28 April 2013; Revised 3 August 2013; Accepted 7 August 2013
Academic Editor: Chang-Yang Gong
Copyright © 2013 Shuqiang Zhao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Nagata, M. Tsuchiya, and S. Asano, “Molecular cloning and expression of cDNA for human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor,” Nature, vol. 319, no. 6052, pp. 415–418, 1986.
- H. Nomura, I. Imazeki, M. Oheda et al., “Purification and characterization of human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF),” The EMBO journal, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 871–876, 1986.
- H. Sheikh, R. Colaco, P. Lorigan et al., “Use of G-CSF during concurrent chemotherapy and thoracic radiotherapy in patients with limited-stage small-cell lung cancer safety data from a phase II trial,” Lung Cancer, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 75–79, 2011.
- K. Meuer, C. Pitzer, P. Teismann et al., “Granulocyte-colony stimulating factor is neuroprotective in a model of Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neurochemistry, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 675–686, 2006.
- J. Sanchez-Ramos, S. Song, V. Sava et al., “Granulocyte colony stimulating factor decreases brain amyloid burden and reverses cognitive impairment in Alzheimer's mice,” Neuroscience, vol. 163, no. 1, pp. 55–72, 2009.
- A. Prakash, B. Medhi, and K. Chopra, “Granulocyte colony stimulating factor (GCSF) improves memory and neuro behavior in an amyloid-β induced experimental model of Alzheimer's disease,” Pharmacol Biochem Behav, vol. 163, pp. 46–57, 2013.
- J. E. Layton, H. Hockman, W. P. Sheridan, and G. Morstyn, “Evidence for a novel in vivo control mechanism of granulopoiesis: mature cell-related control of a regulatory growth factor,” Blood, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 1303–1307, 1989.
- T. Kuwabara, Y. Kato, S. Kobayashi, H. Suzuki, and Y. Sugiyama, “Nonlinear pharmacokinetics of a recombinant human granulocyte colony- stimulating factor derivative (nartograstim): species differences among rats, monkeys and humans,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 271, no. 3, pp. 1535–1543, 1994.
- G. N. Cox, D. J. Smith, S. J. Carlson, A. M. Bendele, E. A. Chlipala, and D. H. Doherty, “Enhanced circulating half-life and hematopoietic properties of a human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor/immunoglobulin fusion protein,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 441–449, 2004.
- Y. Bai, D. K. Ann, and W.-C. Shen, “Recombinant granulocyte colony-stimulating factor-transferrin fusion protein as an oral myelopoietic agent,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 20, pp. 7292–7296, 2005.
- W. Halpern, T. A. Riccobene, H. Agostini et al., “Albugranin, a recombinant human granulocyte colony stimulating factor (G-CSF) genetically fused to recombinant human albumin induces prolonged myelopoietic effects in mice and monkeys,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1720–1729, 2002.
- W. P. Sheffield, T. R. McCurdy, and V. Bhakta, “Fusion to albumin as a means to slow the clearance of small therapeutic proteins using the Pichia pastoris expression system: a case study,” Methods in Molecular Biology, vol. 308, pp. 145–154, 2005.
- C. Chaudhury, S. Mehnaz, J. M. Robinson et al., “The major histocompatibility complex-related Fc receptor for IgG (FcRn) binds albumin and prolongs its lifespan,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 315–322, 2003.
- C. Chaudhury, C. L. Brooks, D. C. Carter, J. M. Robinson, and C. L. Anderson, “Albumin binding to FcRn: distinct from the FcRn-IgG interaction,” Biochemistry, vol. 45, no. 15, pp. 4983–4990, 2006.
- J. T. Andersen, M. B. Daba, and I. Sandlie, “FcRn binding properties of an abnormal truncated analbuminemic albumin variant,” Clinical Biochemistry, vol. 43, no. 4-5, pp. 367–372, 2010.
- V. E. Kenanova, T. Olafsen, F. B. Salazar, L. E. Williams, S. Knowles, and A. M. Wu, “Tuning the serum persistence of human serum albumin domain III: diabody fusion proteins,” Protein Engineering, Design and Selection, vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 789–798, 2010.
- S. Wu and G. J. Letchworth, “High efficiency transformation by electroporation of Pichia pastoris pretreated with lithium acetate and dithiothreitol,” Drug Discovery and Genomic Technologies, vol. 1, no. 36, pp. 152–154, 2004.
- S. Matsushita, Y. Isima, V. T. G. Chuang et al., “Functional analysis of recombinant human serum albumin domains for pharmaceutical applications,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 1924–1932, 2004.
- M. Yankelevich, M. A. Goodell, and J. Kaplan, “Efficacy of delayed administration of post-chemotherapy granulocyte colony-stimulating factor: evidence from murine studies of bone marrow cell kinetics,” Experimental Hematology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 9–16, 2008.
- Y. Zhang, M. Huo, J. Zhou, and S. Xie, “PKSolver: an add-in program for pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic data analysis in Microsoft Excel,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 306–314, 2010.
- S. Macauley-Patrick, M. L. Fazenda, B. McNeil, and L. M. Harvey, “Heterologous protein production using the Pichia pastoris expression system,” Yeast, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 249–270, 2005.
- M. A. Lasnik, V. G. Porekar, and A. Štalc, “Human granulocyte colony stimulating factor (hG-CSF) expressed by methylotrophic yeast Pichia pastoris,” Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, vol. 442, no. 6, pp. R184–R186, 2001.
- H. A. Kang, E.-S. Choi, W.-K. Hong et al., “Proteolytic stability of recombinant human serum albumin secreted in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae,” Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 575–582, 2000.
- X. Q. Yao, H. L. Zhao, C. Xue et al., “Degradation of HSA-AX15(R13K) when expressed in Pichia pastoris can be reduced via the disruption of YPS1 gene in this yeast,” Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 139, no. 2, pp. 131–136, 2009.
- A. A. Cordes, J. F. Carpenter, and T. W. Randolph, “Selective domain stabilization as a strategy to reduce human serum albumin-human granulocyte colony stimulating factor aggregation rate,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 101, no. 6, pp. 2009–2016, 2012.
- E. Chun, A. A. Thompson, W. Liu et al., “Fusion partner toolchest for the stabilization and crystallization of G protein-coupled receptors,” Structure, vol. 6, no. 20, pp. 967–976, 2012.
- A. L. S. Vanz, G. Renard, M. S. Palma et al., “Human granulocyte colony stimulating factor (hG-CSF): cloning, overexpression, purification and characterization,” Microbial Cell Factories, vol. 7, article 13, 2008.
- F. R. Gomes, A. C. Maluenda, J. O. Tápias et al., “Expression of recombinant human mutant granulocyte colony stimulating factor (Nartograstim) in Escherichia coli,” World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 7, no. 28, pp. 2593–2600, 2012.
- J. Carter, J. Zhang, T.-L. Dang et al., “Fusion partners can increase the expression of recombinant interleukins via transient transfection in 2936E cells,” Protein Science, vol. 19, no. 2, pp. 357–362, 2010.
- J. T. Andersen, B. Dalhus, J. Cameron et al., “Structure-based mutagenesis reveals the albumin-binding site of the neonatal Fc receptor,” Nature Communications, vol. 3, pp. 610–617, 2012.
- W. Wang, S. K. Singh, N. Li, M. R. Toler, K. R. King, and S. Nema, “Immunogenicity of protein aggregates—concerns and realities,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 431, no. 1-2, pp. 1–11, 2012.