- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 108902, 7 pages
The Glycosylation of AGP and Its Associations with the Binding to Methadone
1School of Life, Sport and Social Sciences, Edinburgh Napier University, Sighthill Campus, Edinburgh EH11 4BN, UK
2School of Nursing, Midwifery and Social Care, Edinburgh Napier University, Edinburgh EH11 4BN, UK
3Community Drug Problem Service, Spittal Street Centre, Edinburgh EH3 9DU, UK
Received 3 April 2013; Revised 21 June 2013; Accepted 21 June 2013
Academic Editor: Viness Pillay
Copyright © 2013 Jennifer L. Behan et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- UNODC, World Drug Report 2010, Sales No.E.10.XI.13, United Nations Publication, 2010.
- N. McKeganey, M. Bloor, M. Robertson, J. Neale, and J. MacDougall, “Abstinence and drug abuse treatment: results from the drug outcome research in Scotland Study,” Drugs, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 537–550, 2006.
- M. K. Romach, K. M. Piafsky, and J. G. Abel, “Methadone binding to orosomucoid (α1-acid glycoprotein): determinant of free fraction in plasma,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 211–217, 1981.
- O. Drummer and M. Odell, The Forensic Pharmacology Drugs of Abuse, Edited by O. H. Drummer, Hodder Arnold, 2001.
- M. M. Scimeca, S. R. Savage, R. Portenoy, and J. Lowinson, “Treatment of pain in methadone-maintained patients,” Mount Sinai Journal of Medicine, vol. 67, no. 5-6, pp. 412–422, 2000.
- F. Ceciliani and V. Pocacqua, “The acute phase protein α1-acid glycoprotein: a model for altered glycosylation during diseases,” Current Protein and Peptide Science, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 91–108, 2007.
- Y. Kuroda, S. Matsumoto, A. Shibukawa, and T. Nakagawa, “Capillary electrophoretic study on pH dependence of enantioselective disopyramide binding to genetic variants of human α1-acid glycoprotein,” Analyst, vol. 128, no. 8, pp. 1023–1027, 2003.
- J. M. H. Kremer, J. Wilting, and L. H. M. Janssen, “Drug binding to human alpha-1-acid glycoprotein in health and disease,” Pharmacological Reviews, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 1–47, 1988.
- A. Rostami-Hodjegan, K. Wolff, A. W. M. Hay, D. Raistrick, R. Calvert, and G. T. Tucker, “Population pharmacokinetics of methadone in opiate users: characterization of time-dependent changes,” British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 43–52, 1999.
- A. Varki, R. D. Cummings, J. D. Esko, et al., Essentials of Glycobiology, Cold Spring Harbour Laboratory Press, 2nd edition, 2009.
- M. E. Taylor and K. Drickamer, Introduction to Glycobiology, Oxford University Press Limited, 2003.
- W. van Dijk, G. A. Turner, and A. Mackiewicz, “Changes in glycosylation of acute-phase proteins in health and disease: occurrence, regulation and function,” Glycosylation and Disease, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 5–14, 1994.
- K. Higai, Y. Aoki, Y. Azuma, and K. Matsumoto, “Glycosylation of site-specific glycans of α1-acid glycoprotein and alterations in acute and chronic inflammation,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1725, no. 1, pp. 128–135, 2005.
- Z. H. Israili and P. G. Dayton, “Human alpha-1-glycoprotein and its interactions with drugs,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 161–235, 2001.
- W. E. Muller, “Stereoselective plasma protein binding of drugs,” in Drug Stereochemistry: Analytical Methods and Pharmacology, I. W. Wainer and D. E. Drayer, Eds., p. 277, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1988.
- M. A. Elliott, H. G. Elliott, K. Gallagher, J. McGuire, M. Field, and K. D. Smith, “Investigation into the concanavalin A reactivity, fucosylation and oligosaccharide microheterogeneity of α1-acid glycoprotein expressed in the sera of patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Journal of Chromatography B, vol. 688, no. 2, pp. 229–237, 1997.
- J.-Q. Fan, Y. Namiki, K. Matsuoka, and Y. C. Lee, “Comparison of acid hydrolytic conditions for Asn-linked oligosaccharides,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 219, no. 2, pp. 375–378, 1994.
- G. A. Turner, A. W. Skillen, and P. Buamah, “Relation between raised concentrations of fucose, sialic acid, and acute phase proteins in serum from patients with cancer: choosing suitable serum glycoprotein markers,” Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 588–592, 1985.
- J. J. Listinsky, G. P. Siegal, and C. M. Listinsky, “Alpha-L-fucose: a potentially critical molecule in pathologic processes including neoplasia,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 110, no. 4, pp. 425–440, 1998.
- S. S. Gustafsson, L. Vrang, Y. Terelius, and U. H. Danielson, “Quantification of interactions between drug leads and serum proteins by use of ‘binding efficiency’,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 409, no. 2, pp. 163–175, 2011.