- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 120638, 3 pages
Leflunomide as a Corticosteroid-Sparing Agent in Giant Cell Arteritis and Polymyalgia Rheumatica: A Case Series
1Department of Rheumatology, Hospital of Southern Norway Trust Kristiansand, Service Box 416, 4604 Kristiansand, Norway
2Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Service Box 8905, 7491 Trondheim, Norway
Received 20 May 2013; Revised 10 August 2013; Accepted 11 August 2013
Academic Editor: Joao Eurico Fonseca
Copyright © 2013 Andreas P. Diamantopoulos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Salvarani, F. Cantini, and G. G. Hunder, “Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant-cell arteritis,” The Lancet, vol. 372, no. 9634, pp. 234–245, 2008.
- B. Dasgupta, F. A. Borg, N. Hassan et al., “BSR and BHPR guidelines for the management of polymyalgia rheumatica,” Rheumatology, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 186–190, 2010.
- J. Hernández-Rodríguez, M. C. Cid, A. López-Soto, G. Espigol-Frigolé, and X. Bosch, “Treatment of polymyalgia rheumatica: a systematic review,” Archives of Internal Medicine, vol. 169, no. 20, pp. 1839–1850, 2009.
- M. De Silva and B. L. Hazleman, “Azathioprine in giant cell arteritis/polymyalgia rheumatica: a double-blind study,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 136–138, 1986.
- A. D. Mahr, J. A. Jover, R. F. Spiera et al., “Adjunctive methotrexate for treatment of giant cell arteritis: an individual patient data meta-analysis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 2789–2797, 2007.
- J. Schmidt and K. J. Warrington, “Polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis in older patients: diagnosis and pharmacological management,” Drugs & Aging, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 651–666, 2011.
- J. S. Smolen, R. Landewé, F. C. Breedveld et al., “EULAR recommendations for the management of rheumatoid arthritis with synthetic and biological disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 964–975, 2010.
- L. Gossec, J. S. Smolen, C. Gaujoux-Viala et al., “European league against rheumatism recommendations for the management of psoriatic arthritis with pharmacological therapies,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 4–12, 2012.
- A. W. S. de Souza, M. D. da Silva, L. S. G. MacHado, A. C. D. Oliveira, F. A. G. Pinheiro, and E. I. Sato, “Short-term effect of leflunomide in patients with Takayasu arteritis: an observational study,” Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 227–230, 2012.
- C. Metzler, N. Miehle, K. Manger et al., “Elevated relapse rate under oral methotrexate versus leflunomide for maintenance of remission in Wegener's granulomatosis,” Rheumatology, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 1087–1091, 2007.
- T. Adizie, D. Christidis, C. Dharmapaliah, F. Borg, and B. Dasgupta, “Efficacy and tolerability of leflunomide in difficult-to-treat polymyalgia rheumatica and giant cell arteritis: a case series,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 66, no. 9, pp. 906–909, 2012.
- B. M. Kirsch, M. Zeyda, K. Stuhlmeier et al., “The active metabolite of leflunomide, A77 1726, interferes with dendritic cell function,” Arthritis Research & Therapy, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. R694–703, 2005.
- I. González-Alvaro, A. M. Ortiz, C. Domínguez-Jiménez, A. Aragón-Bodi, B. Díaz Sánchez, and F. Sánchez-Madrid, “Inhibition of tumour necrosis factor and IL-17 production by leflunomide involves the JAK/STAT pathway,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 68, no. 10, pp. 1644–1650, 2009.
- J. Deng, B. R. Younge, R. A. Olshen, J. J. Goronzy, and C. M. Weyand, “Th17 and th1 T-cell responses in giant cell arteritis,” Circulation, vol. 121, no. 7, pp. 906–915, 2010.
- G. G. Hunder, D. A. Bloch, B. A. Michel et al., “The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of giant cell arteritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1122–1128, 1990.
- B. Dasgupta, M. A. Cimmino, H. M. Kremers et al., “2012 Provisional classification criteria for polymyalgia rheumatica: a European League Against Rheumatism/American College of Rheumatology collaborative initiative,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 943–954, 2012.