- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 121832, 12 pages
Injury Prevention for Ski-Area Employees: A Physiological Assessment of Lift Operators, Instructors, and Patrollers
School of University Arts and Sciences, Selkirk College, 301 Frank Beinder Way, Castlegar, BC, Canada V1N 4L3
Received 16 April 2013; Revised 26 June 2013; Accepted 1 July 2013
Academic Editor: Jean Blouin
Copyright © 2013 Delia Roberts. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- WorkSafeBC, http://www.worksafebc.com/publications/reports/statistics_reports/assets/pdf/stats2011.pdf, 2012.
- N. Peacock, J. A. Walker, R. Fogg, and K. Dudley, “Prevalence of low back pain in alpine ski instructors,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 106–110, 2005.
- D. Roberts, “Fitness levels, dietary intake and injury rates in heli-ski guides,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 39, article S217, 2007.
- C. F. Ettlinger, R. J. Johnson, and J. E. Shealy, “A method to help reduce the risk of serious knee sprains incurred in alpine skiing,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 531–537, 1995.
- P. W. Hodges and C. A. Richardson, “Inefficient muscular stabilization of the lumbar spine associated with low back pain: a motor control evaluation of transversus abdominis,” Spine, vol. 21, no. 22, pp. 2640–2650, 1996.
- M. Hübscher, A. Zech, K. Pfeifer, F. Hänsel, L. Vogt, and W. Banzer, “Neuromuscular training for sports injury prevention: a systematic review,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 413–421, 2010.
- M. J. Mellman, M. R. Davis, M. Brisman, and H. Shamoon, “Effect of antecedent hypoglycemia on cognitive function and on glycemic thresholds for counterregulatory hormone secretion in healthy humans,” Diabetes Care, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 183–188, 1994.
- A. B. Stevens, W. R. McKane, P. M. Bell, P. Bell, D. J. King, and J. R. Hayes, “Psychomotor performance and counterregulatory responses during mild hypoglycemia in healthy volunteers,” Diabetes Care, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 1989.
- M. W. J. Strachan, I. J. Deary, F. M. E. Ewing, S. S. C. Ferguson, M. J. Young, and B. M. Frier, “Acute hypoglycemia impairs the functioning of the central but not peripheral nervous system,” Physiology and Behavior, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 83–92, 2001.
- H. R. Lieberman, G. P. Bathalon, C. M. Falco, F. M. Kramer, C. A. Morgan III, and P. Niro, “Severe decrements in cognition function and mood induced by sleep loss, heat, dehydration, and undernutrition during simulated combat,” Biological Psychiatry, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 422–429, 2005.
- K. E. D'anci, C. R. Mahoney, A. Vibhakar, J. H. Kanter, and H. A. Taylor, “Voluntary dehydration and cognitive performance in trained college athletes,” Perceptual and Motor Skills, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 251–269, 2009.
- S. Leclercq, S. Thouy, and E. Rossignol, “Progress in understanding processes underlying occupational accidents on the level based on case studies,” Ergonomics, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 59–79, 2007.
- D. J. Cox, L. A. Gonder-Frederick, B. P. Kovatchev, D. M. Julian, and W. L. Clarke, “Progressive hypoglycemia's impact on driving simulation performance: occurrence, awareness, and correction,” Diabetes Care, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 163–170, 2000.
- J. B. Lemaire, J. E. Wallace, K. Dinsmore, A. M. Lewin, W. A. Ghali, and D. Roberts, “Physician nutrition and cognition during work hours: effect of a nutrition based intervention,” BMC Health Services Research, vol. 10, p. 241, 2010.
- H. Luomajoki, J. Kool, E. D. de Bruin, and O. Airaksinen, “Reliability of movement control tests in the lumbar spine,” BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, vol. 8, article 90, 2007.
- D. Morrissey, M. C. Morrissey, W. Driver, J. B. King, and R. C. Woledge, “Manual landmark identification and tracking during the medial rotation test of the shoulder: an accuracy study using three-dimensional ultrasound and motion analysis measures,” Manual Therapy, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 529–535, 2008.
- S. L. Mottram, R. C. Woledge, and D. Morrissey, “Motion analysis study of a scapular orientation exercise and subjects' ability to learn the exercise,” Manual Therapy, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 13–18, 2009.
- D. A. Padua, S. W. Marshall, M. C. Boling, C. A. Thigpen, W. E. Garrett, and A. I. Beutler, “The Landing Error Scoring System (LESS) is a valid and reliable clinical assessment tool of jump-landing biomechanics: the jump-ACL Study,” American Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1996–2002, 2009.
- N. A. Roussel, J. Nijs, S. Mottram, A. Van Moorsel, S. Truijen, and G. Stassijns, “Altered lumbopelvic movement control but not generalized joint hypermobility is associated with increased injury in dancers. A prospective study,” Manual Therapy, vol. 14, no. 6, pp. 630–635, 2009.
- T. E. Hewett, G. D. Myer, K. R. Ford, M. V. Paterno, and C. E. Quatman, “The 2012 ABJS nicolas andry award: the sequence of prevention: a systematic approach to prevent anterior cruciate ligament injury,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, vol. 470, pp. 2930–2940, 2012.
- J. Bleiberg, R. L. Kane, D. L. Reeves, W. S. Garmoe, and E. Halpern, “Factor analysis of computerized and traditional tests used in mild brain injury research,” Clinical Neuropsychologist, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 287–294, 2000.
- T. Elsmore, “Cognitive status report generator,” Final Report DAMD -03-C-9025 Phase II 1 AD, 2006.
- A. Kavouras, “Assessing hydration status,” Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition & Metabolic Care, vol. 5, pp. 519–524, 2000.
- Health Canada. Recommended Daily Allowance, http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/reference/table/index-eng.php, 2012.
- C. E. Garber, B. Blissmer, M. R. Deschenes et al., “Quantity and quality of exercise for developing and maintaining cardiorespiratory, musculoskeletal, and neuromotor fitness in apparently healthy adults: guidance for prescribing exercise,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 1334–1359, 2011.
- W. A. Tustison, A. J. Bowen, and J. H. Crampton, “Clinical interpretation of plasma glucose values,” Diabetes, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 775–777, 1966.
- H. R. Lieberman, “Hydration and cognition: a critical review and recommendations for future research,” Journal of the American College of Nutrition, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 555S–561S, 2007.
- D. Roberts, “The occupational athlete; integrated injury prevention, health and wellness for truck drivers,” in Implementing Physical Activity Strategies. National Physical Activity Plan, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2013.
- D. Roberts, “Efficacy of carbohydrate feeding on occupational injury rate and productivity in reforestation workers in energy Deficit,” Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, vol. 40, article S160, 2008.
- M. A. Esola, P. W. McClure, G. K. Fitzgerald, and S. Siegler, “Analysis of lumbar spine and hip motion during forward bending in subjects with and without a history of low back pain,” Spine, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 71–78, 1996.
- P. W. McClure, M. Esola, R. Schreier, and S. Siegler, “Kinematic analysis of lumbar and hip motion while rising from a forward, flexed position in patients with and without a history of low back pain,” Spine, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 552–558, 1997.
- K. C. Huxel, C. B. Swanik, K. A. Swanik et al., “Stiffness regulation and muscle-recruitment strategies of the shoulder in response to external rotation perturbations,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 90, no. 1, pp. 154–162, 2008.
- P. M. Ludewig and J. F. Reynolds, “The association of scapular kinematics and glenohumeral joint pathologies,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 90–104, 2009.
- G. D. Myer, D. A. Chu, J. L. Brent, and T. E. Hewett, “Trunk and hip control neuromuscular training for the prevention of knee joint injury,” Clinics in Sports Medicine, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 425–448, 2008.
- A. Caraffa, G. Cerulli, M. Projetti, G. Aisa, and A. Rizzo, “Prevention of anterior cruciate ligament injuries in soccer: a prospective controlled study of proprioceptive training,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 19–21, 1996.
- M. Gruber and A. Gollhofer, “Impact of sensorimotor training on the rate of force development and neural activation,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 92, no. 1-2, pp. 98–105, 2004.
- M. Hoffman and V. G. Payne, “The effects of proprioceptive ankle disk training on healthy subjects,” Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 90–93, 1995.
- C. Hrysomallis, “Relationship between balance ability, training and sports injury risk,” Sports Medicine, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 547–556, 2007.
- P. Grigg, “Properties of sensory neurons innervating synovial joints,” Cells Tissues Organs, vol. 169, no. 3, pp. 218–225, 2001.
- J. S. Dufek and B. T. Bates, “Biomechanical factors associated with injury during landing in jump sports,” Sports Medicine, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 326–337, 1991.
- G. R. Ebenbichler, L. I. E. Oddsson, J. Kollmitzer, and Z. Erim, “Sensory-motor control of the lower back: implications for rehabilitation,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1889–1898, 2001.
- P.-J. Lattanzio, R. J. Petrella, J. R. Sproule, and P. J. Fowler, “Effects of fatigue on knee proprioception,” Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 22–27, 1997.
- K. Miura, Y. Ishibashi, E. Tsuda, Y. Okamura, H. Otsuka, and S. Toh, “The effect of local and general fatigue on knee proprioception,” Arthroscopy, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 414–418, 2004.
- M. J. Schutte and L. T. Happel, “Joint innervation in joint injury,” Clinics in Sports Medicine, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 511–517, 1990.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, “Essential elements for effective workplace programs and policies for improving worker health and wellbeing,” http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/twh/essentials.html, 2013.