- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 125671, 8 pages
Effect of Nerium oleander (N.O.) Leaves Extract on Serum hepcidin, Total Iron, and Infiltration of ED1 Positive Cells in Albino Rat
1Department of Zoology, Government College of Science, Wahdat Road, Lahore 54590, Pakistan
2Cell and Molecular Biology Lab, Department of Zoology, University of the Punjab, Lahore 54590, Pakistan
3University of Health Sciences, Lahore 54590, Pakistan
4Department of Internal Medicine, University of Goettingen, 37075 Goettingen, Germany
Received 16 April 2013; Revised 22 July 2013; Accepted 26 July 2013
Academic Editor: Francesco D'Amico
Copyright © 2013 Muddasir Hassan Abbasi et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. L. Beard, J. A. Wiesinger, and J. R. Connor, “Pre- and postweaning iron deficiency alters myelination in sprague-dawley rats,” Developmental Neuroscience, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 308–315, 2003.
- E. Ortiz, J. M. Pasquini, K. Thompson et al., “Effect of manipulation of iron storage, transport, or availability on myelin composition and brain iron content in three different animal models,” Journal of Neuroscience Research, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 681–689, 2004.
- N. Sheikh, D. S. Batusic, J. Dudas et al., “Hepcidin and hemojuvelin gene expression in rat liver damage: in vivo and in vitro studies,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 291, no. 3, pp. G482–G490, 2006.
- A. A. Caro and A. I. Cederbaum, “Oxidative stress, toxicology, and pharmacology of CYP2E1,” Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 44, pp. 27–42, 2004.
- T. Ganz and E. Nemeth, “Iron imports. IV. Hepcidin and regulation of body iron metabolism,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 290, no. 2, pp. G199–G203, 2006.
- S. Okada, “Iron-induced tissue damage and cancer: the role of reactive oxygen species-free radicals,” Pathology International, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 311–332, 1996.
- G. Papanikolaou and K. Pantopoulos, “Iron metabolism and toxicity,” Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, vol. 202, no. 2, pp. 199–211, 2005.
- E. Beutler, A. V. Hoffbrand, and J. D. Cook, “Iron deficiency and overload,” Hematology, pp. 40–61, 2003.
- A. Pietrangelo, “Hereditary hemochromatosis: a new look at an old disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 23, pp. 2383–2430, 2004.
- N. Ishizaka, K. Saito, E. Noiri et al., “Administration of ANG II induces iron deposition and upregulation of TGF-β1 mRNA in the rat liver,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 288, no. 4, pp. R1063–R1070, 2005.
- H. She, S. Xiong, M. Lin, E. Zandi, C. Giulivi, and H. Tsukamoto, “Iron activates NF-κB in Kupffer cells,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 283, no. 3, pp. G719–G726, 2002.
- H. Tsukamoto, M. Lin, M. Ohata, C. Giulivi, S. W. French, and G. Brittenham, “Iron primes hepatic macrophages for NF-κB activation in alcoholic liver injury,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 277, no. 6, pp. G1240–G1250, 1999.
- G. Karp, Cell and Molecular Biology: Concepts and Experiments, Von Hoffman press, 2005.
- T. J. Kindt, B. A. Osborne, and R. A. Goldsby, Kuby Immunology, WH Freeman, 2006.
- A. M. Lundberg and G. K. Hansson, “Innate immune signals in atherosclerosis,” Clinical Immunology, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 5–24, 2010.
- N. Sheikh, J. Dudas, and G. Ramadori, “Changes of gene expression of iron regulatory proteins during turpentine oil-induced acute-phase response in the rat,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 713–725, 2007.
- E. Gruys, M. J. M. Toussaint, T. A. Niewold, and S. J. Koopmans, “Acute phase reaction and acute phase proteins,” Journal of Zhejiang University, vol. 6, no. 11, pp. 1045–1056, 2005.
- F. Ceciliani, A. Giordano, and V. Spagnolo, “The systemic reaction during inflammation: the acute-phase proteins,” Protein and Peptide Letters, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 211–223, 2002.
- G. Ramadori, J. D. Sipe, and H. R. Colten, “Expression and regulation of the murine serum amyloid A (SAA) gene in extrahepatic sites,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 135, no. 6, pp. 3645–3647, 1985.
- F. H. Epstein, C. Gabay, and I. Kushner, “Acute-phase proteins and other systemic responses to inflammation,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 6, pp. 448–454, 1999.
- H. H. Petersen, J. P. Nielsen, and P. M. H. Heegaard, “Application of acute phase protein measurements in veterinary clinical chemistry,” Veterinary Research, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 163–187, 2004.
- G. A. Parker and C. A. Picut, “Liver immunobiology,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 52–62, 2005.
- G. M. Barton, “A calculated response: control of inflammation by the innate immune system,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 413–420, 2008.
- K. Nakatani, K. Kaneda, S. Seki, and Y. Nakajima, “Pit cells as liver-associated natural killer cells: morphology and function,” Medical Electron Microscopy, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 29–36, 2004.
- Y.-W. Tian, P. G. J. Smith, and G. C. T. Yeoh, “The oval-shaped cell as a candidate for a liver stem cell in embryonic, neonatal and precancerous liver: identification based on morphology and immunohistochemical staining for albumin and pyruvate kinase isoenzyme expression,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 243–250, 1997.
- G. J. Anderson, D. Darshan, S. J. Wilkins, and D. M. Frazer, “Regulation of systemic iron homeostasis: how the body responds to changes in iron demand,” BioMetals, vol. 20, no. 3-4, pp. 665–674, 2007.
- T. Ganz, “Hepcidin, a key regulator of iron metabolism and mediator of anemia of inflammation,” Blood, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 783–788, 2003.
- A. Krause, S. Neitz, H.-J. Mägert et al., “LEAP-1, a novel highly disulfide-bonded human peptide, exhibits antimicrobial activity,” FEBS Letters, vol. 480, no. 2-3, pp. 147–150, 2000.
- C. H. Park, E. V. Valore, A. J. Waring, and T. Ganz, “Hepcidin, a urinary antimicrobial peptide synthesized in the liver,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 11, pp. 7806–7810, 2001.
- C. Pigeon, G. Ilyin, B. Courselaud et al., “A new mouse liver-specific gene, encoding a protein homologous to human antimicrobial peptide Hepcidin, is overexpressed during iron overload,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 276, no. 11, pp. 7811–7819, 2001.
- W.-I. Leong and B. Lönnerdal, “Hepcidin, the recently identified peptide that appears to regulate iron absorption,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 1, pp. 1–4, 2004.
- P. S. Oates, “The relevance of the intestinal crypt and enterocyte in regulating iron absorption,” Pflugers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, vol. 455, no. 2, pp. 201–213, 2007.
- P. Lipiński and R. R. Starzyński, “Regulation of body iron homeostasis by Hepcidin,” Postepy Higieny i Medycyny Doswiadczalnej, vol. 58, pp. 65–73, 2004.
- E. Nemeth, E. V. Valore, M. Territo, G. Schiller, A. Lichtenstein, and T. Ganz, “Hepcidin, a putative mediator of anemia of inflammation, is a type II acute-phase protein,” Blood, vol. 101, no. 7, pp. 2461–2463, 2003.
- I. De Domenico, D. M. Ward, E. Nemeth et al., “The molecular basis of ferroportin-linked hemochromatosis,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 102, no. 25, pp. 8955–8960, 2005.
- C. Delaby, N. Pilard, A. S. Gonçalves, C. Beaumont, and F. Canonne-Hergaux, “Presence of the iron exporter ferroportin at the plasma membrane of macrophages is enhanced by iron loading and down-regulated by Hepcidin,” Blood, vol. 106, no. 12, pp. 3979–3984, 2005.
- E. Nemeth, M. S. Tuttle, J. Powelson et al., “Hepcidin regulates cellular iron efflux by binding to ferroportin and inducing its internalization,” Science, vol. 306, no. 5704, pp. 2090–2093, 2004.
- R. J. P. Williams, “Systems biology of evolution: the involvement of metal ions,” BioMetals, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 107–112, 2007.
- G. Montosi, A. Donovan, A. Totaro et al., “Autosomal-dominant hemochromatosis is associated with a mutation in the ferroportin (SLC11A3) gene,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 619–623, 2001.
- O. T. Njajou, G. de Jong, B. Berghuis et al., “Dominant hemochromatosis due to N144H mutation of SLC11A3: clinical and biological characteristics,” Blood cells, molecules & diseases, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 439–443, 2002.
- Y. Oka, S. Nacar, E. Putievsky, U. Ravid, Z. Yaniv, and Y. Spiegel, “Nematicidal activity of essential oils and their components against the root-knot nematode,” Phytopathology, vol. 90, no. 7, pp. 710–715, 2000.
- A. Sokmen, B. M. Jones, and M. Erturk, “The in vitro antibacterial activity of Turkish medicinal plants,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 79–86, 1999.
- K. Chaitanya Sravanthi, S. Manthri, S. Srilakshmi, and V. Ashajyothi, “Wound healing herbd: a review,” http://www.ijptonline.com.
- E. Derwich, Z. Benziane, and A. Boukir, “Antibacterial activity and chemical composition of the essential oil from flowers of Nerium oleander,” Electronic Journal of Environmental, Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1074–1084, 2010.
- V. Bandara, S. A. Weinstein, J. White, and M. Eddleston, “A review of the natural history, toxinology, diagnosis and clinical management of Nerium oleander (common oleander) and Thevetia peruviana (yellow oleander) poisoning,” Toxicon, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 273–281, 2010.
- M. R. Aslani, A. R. Movassaghi, M. Mohri, A. Abbasian, and M. Zarehpour, “Clinical and pathological aspects of experimental oleander (Nerium oleander) toxicosis in sheep,” Veterinary Research Communications, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 609–616, 2004.
- K. J. Hughes, A. J. Dart, and D. R. Hodgson, “Suspected Nerium oleander (Oleander) poisoning in a horse,” Australian Veterinary Journal, vol. 80, no. 7, pp. 412–415, 2002.
- M. R. Aslani and A. Rezakhani, “A case report of oleander (Nerium oleander) intoxication in cattle,” International Journal of Tropical Agriculture, vol. 18, pp. 185–187, 2000.
- P. A. Smith, B. M. Aldridge, and M. D. Kittleson, “Oleander toxicosis in a donkey,” Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, vol. 17, pp. 111–114, 2003.
- R. Santhi, G. Lakshmi, A. M. Priyadharshini, and L. Anandaraj, “Phytochemical screening of Nerium oleander leaves and Momordica charantia leaves,” International Research Journal of Pharmacy, vol. 2, pp. 131–135, 2011.
- M. Arredondo and M. T. Núñez, “Iron and copper metabolism,” Molecular Aspects of Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4-5, pp. 313–327, 2005.
- R. R. Crichton, J. R. Boelaert, R. Crichton, and R. Crichton, Inorganic Biochemistry of Iron Metabolism: From Molecular Mechanisms To Clinical Consequences, Wiley Chichester, 2001.
- W. H. Koppenol, “The centennial of the Fenton reaction,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 645–651, 1993.
- I. De Domenico, D. McVey Ward, and J. Kaplan, “Regulation of iron acquisition and storage: consequences for iron-linked disorders,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 72–81, 2008.
- D. Galaris and K. Pantopoulos, “Oxidative stress and iron homeostasis: mechanistic and health aspects,” Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, vol. 45, no. 1, pp. 1–23, 2008.
- J. B. Hansen, M. F. Tonnesen, A. N. Madsen et al., “Divalent metal transporter 1 regulates iron-mediated ROS and pancreatic beta cell fate in response to cytokines,” Cell Metabolism, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 449–461, 2012.
- Y. Kohgo, T. Ohtake, K. Ikuta et al., “Iron accumulation in alcoholic liver diseases,” Alcoholism, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 189–193, 2005.
- B. Arezzini, B. Lunghi, G. Lungarella, and C. Gardi, “Iron overload enhances the development of experimental liver cirrhosis in mice,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 486–495, 2003.
- K. Otogawa, T. Ogawa, R. Shiga et al., “Attenuation of acute and chronic liver injury in rats by iron-deficient diet,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 294, no. 2, pp. R311–R320, 2008.
- G. Nicolas, C. Chauvet, L. Viatte et al., “The gene encoding the iron regulatory peptide Hepcidin is regulated by anemia, hypoxia, and inflammation,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 110, no. 7, pp. 1037–1044, 2002.
- M. Vokurka, J. Krijt, K. Šulc, and E. Nečas, “Hepcidin mRNA levels in mouse liver respond to inhibition of erythropoiesis,” Physiological Research, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 667–674, 2006.
- M. R. Aslani, A. R. Movassaghi, H. Janati-Pirouz, and M. Karazma, “Experimental oleander (Nerium oleander) poisoning in goats: a clinical and pathological study,” Iranian Journal of Veterinary Research, vol. 8, pp. 58–63, 2007.
- N. Sheikh, K. Tron, J. Dudas, and G. Ramadori, “Cytokine-induced neutrophil chemoattractant-1 is released by the noninjured liver in a rat acute-phase model,” Laboratory Investigation, vol. 86, no. 8, pp. 800–814, 2006.