- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 126189, 12 pages
IL-6 Production by Dendritic Cells Is Dispensable for CD8+ Memory T-Cell Generation
1Maisonneuve-Rosemont Hospital Research Center, University of Montreal, 5415 Boulevard de l’Assomption,
Montréal, QC, H1T 2M4, Canada
2Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Montreal, Montréal, QC, H3C 3J7, Canada
3Department of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montréal, QC, H3C 3J7, Canada
Received 18 May 2012; Accepted 19 June 2012
Academic Editor: Zhengguo Xiao
Copyright © 2013 Jean-François Daudelin et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. M. Kaech, J. T. Tan, E. J. Wherry, B. T. Konieczny, C. D. Surh, and R. Ahmed, “Selective expression of the interleukin 7 receptor identifies effector CD8 T cells that give rise to long-lived memory cells,” Nature Immunology, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1191–1198, 2003.
- N. S. Joshi, W. Cui, A. Chandele et al., “Inflammation directs memory precursor and short-lived effector CD8+ T cell fates via the graded expression of T-bet transcription factor,” Immunity, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 281–295, 2007.
- N. S. Joshi and S. M. Kaech, “Effector CD8 T cell development: a balancing act between memory cell potential and terminal differentiation,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 180, no. 3, pp. 1309–1315, 2008.
- S. Sarkar, V. Kalia, W. N. Haining, B. T. Konieczny, S. Subramaniam, and R. Ahmed, “Functional and genomic profiling of effector CD8 T cell subsets with distinct memory fates,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 205, no. 3, pp. 625–640, 2008.
- K. M. Huster, V. Busch, M. Schiemann et al., “Selective expression of IL-7 receptor on memory T cells identifies early CD40L-dependent generation of distinct CD8+ memory T cell subsets,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 101, no. 15, pp. 5610–5615, 2004.
- V. Kalia, S. Sarkar, S. Subramaniam, W. N. Haining, K. A. Smith, and R. Ahmed, “Prolonged interleukin-2Rα expression on virus-specific CD8+ T cells favors terminal-effector differentiation in vivo,” Immunity, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 91–103, 2010.
- V. P. Badovinac, K. A. Messingham, A. Jabbari, J. S. Haring, and J. T. Harty, “Accelerated CD8+ T-cell memory and prime-boost response after dendritic-cell vaccination,” Nature Medicine, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 748–756, 2005.
- M. H. Lacombe, M. P. Hardy, J. Rooney, and N. Labrecque, “IL-7 receptor expression levels do not identify CD8+ memory T lymphocyte precursors following peptide immunization,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 175, no. 7, pp. 4400–4407, 2005.
- N. L. Pham, V. P. Badovinac, and J. T. Harty, “A default pathway of memory CD8 T cell differentiation after dendritic cell immunization is deflected by encounter with inflammatory cytokines during antigen-driven proliferation,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 183, no. 4, pp. 2337–2348, 2009.
- J. Leignadier and N. Labrecque, “Epitope density influences CD8+ memory T cell differentiation,” PLoS ONE, vol. 5, no. 10, Article ID e13740, 2010.
- M. Mathieu, N. Cotta-Grand, J. F. Daudelin, S. Boulet, R. Lapointe, and N. Labrecque, “CD40-activated B cells can efficiently prime antigen-specific naïve CD8 T cells to generate effector but not memory T cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e30139, 2012.
- F. Castellino and R. N. Germain, “Chemokine-guided CD4+ T cell help enhances generation of IL-6RαhighIL-7Rαhigh prememory CD8+ T cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 178, no. 2, pp. 778–787, 2007.
- D. S. Ritchie, J. Yang, I. F. Hermans, and F. Ronchese, “B-lymphocytes activated by CD40 ligand induce an antigen-specific anti-tumour immune response by direct and indirect activation of CD8+ T-cells,” Scandinavian Journal of Immunology, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 543–551, 2004.
- T. J. Vanden Bush, C. M. Buchta, J. Claudio, and G. A. Bishop, “Cutting edge: importance of IL-6 and cooperation between innate and adaptive immune receptors in cellular vaccination with B lymphocytes,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 183, no. 8, pp. 4833–4837, 2009.
- S. Guo, J. Xu, W. Denning, and Z. Hel, “Induction of protective cytotoxic T-cell responses by a B-cell-based cellular vaccine requires stable expression of antigen,” Gene Therapy, vol. 16, no. 11, pp. 1300–1313, 2009.
- T. Kishimoto, “IL-6: from its discovery to clinical applications,” International Immunology, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 347–352, 2010.
- T. K. Teague, P. Marrack, J. W. Kappler, and A. T. Vella, “IL-6 rescues resting mouse T cells from apoptosis,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 158, no. 12, pp. 5791–5796, 1997.
- M. Narimatsu, H. Maeda, S. Itoh et al., “Tissue-specific autoregulation of the stat3 gene and its role in interleukin-6-induced survival signals in t cells,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 21, no. 19, pp. 6615–6625, 2001.
- T. K. Teague, B. C. Schaefer, D. Hildeman et al., “Activation-induced inhibition of interleukin 6-mediated T cell survival and signal transducer and activator of transcription 1 signaling,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 191, no. 6, pp. 915–926, 2000.
- K. Takeda, T. Kaisho, N. Yoshida, J. Takeda, T. Kishimoto, and S. Akira, “Stat3 activation is responsible for IL-6-dependent T cell proliferation through preventing apoptosis: generation and characterization of T cell- specific stat3-deficient mice,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 161, no. 9, pp. 4652–4660, 1998.
- R. D. Garman, K. A. Jacobs, S. C. Clark, and D. H. Raulet, “B-cell-stimulatory factor 2 (β2 interferon) functions as a second signal for interleukin 2 production by mature murine T cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 84, no. 21, pp. 7629–7633, 1987.
- R. D. Garman and D. H. Raulet, “Characterization of a novel murine T cell-activating factor,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 1121–1129, 1987.
- H. Sepulveda, A. Cerwenka, T. Morgan, and R. W. Dutton, “CD28, IL-2-independent costimulatory pathways for CD8 T lymphocyte activation,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 163, no. 3, pp. 1133–1142, 1999.
- J. Gagnon, S. Ramanathan, C. Leblanc, A. Cloutier, P. P. McDonald, and S. Ilangumaran, “IL-6, in synergy with IL-7 or IL-15, stimulates TCR-independent proliferation and functional differentiation of CD8+ t lymphocytes,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 180, no. 12, pp. 7958–7968, 2008.
- M. K. MacLeod, A. S. McKee, A. David et al., “Vaccine adjuvants aluminum and monophosphoryl lipid A provide distinct signals to generate protective cytotoxic memory CD8 T cells,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 108, no. 19, pp. 7914–7919, 2011.
- K. A. Hogquist, S. C. Jameson, W. R. Heath, J. L. Howard, M. J. Bevan, and F. R. Carbone, “T cell receptor antagonist peptides induce positive selection,” Cell, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 17–27, 1994.
- M. Kopf, H. Baumann, G. Freer et al., “Impaired immune and acute-phase responses in interleukin-6-deficient mice,” Nature, vol. 368, no. 6469, pp. 339–342, 1994.
- M. Mathieu, N. Cotta-Grand, J. F. Daudelin, S. Boulet, R. Lapointe, and N. Labrecque, “CD40-activated B cells can efficiently prime antigen-specific naïve CD8+ T cells to generate effector but not memory T cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 1, Article ID e30139, 2012.
- A. M. Livingstone and M. Kühn, “Dendritic cells need T cell help to prime cytotoxic T cell responses to strong antigens,” European Journal of Immunology, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 2826–2834, 1999.
- M. Mathieu and N. Labrecque, “Murine superficial lymph node surgery,” Journal of Visualized Experiments, vol. 21, no. 63, Article ID e3444, 2012.
- A. Porgador, J. W. Yewdell, Y. Deng, J. R. Bennink, and R. N. Germain, “Localization, quantitation, and in situ detection of specific peptide- MHC class I complexes using a monoclonal antibody,” Immunity, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 715–726, 1997.
- V. Ostiguy, E. L. Allard, M. Marquis, J. Leignadier, and N. Labrecque, “IL-21 promotes T lymphocyte survival by activating the phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase signaling cascade,” Journal of Leukocyte Biology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 645–656, 2007.
- L. Haynes, S. M. Eaton, E. M. Burns, M. Rincon, and S. L. Swain, “Inflammatory cytokines overcome age-related defects in CD4 T cell responses in vivo,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 172, no. 9, pp. 5194–5199, 2004.
- V. Singh, S. Jain, U. Gowthaman et al., “Co-administration of IL-1+IL-6+TNF-α with Mycobacterium tuberculosis infected macrophages vaccine induces better protective T cell memory than BCG,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 1, Article ID e16097, 2011.
- A. Banerjee, S. M. Gordon, A. M. Intlekofer et al., “Cutting edge: the transcription factor eomesodermin enables CD8+ T cells to compete for the memory cell niche,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 185, no. 9, pp. 4988–4992, 2010.
- H. Ichii, A. Sakamoto, M. Hatano et al., “Role for BcL-6 in the generation and maintenance of memory CD8+ T cells,” Nature Immunology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 558–563, 2002.
- H. Ichii, A. Sakamoto, Y. Kuroda, and T. Tokuhisa, “Bc16 acts as an amplifier for the generation and proliferative capacity of central memory CD8+ T cells,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 173, no. 2, pp. 883–891, 2004.
- A. M. Intlekofer, N. Takemoto, C. Kao et al., “Requirement for T-bet in the aberrant differentiation of unhelped memory CD8+ T cells,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 204, no. 9, pp. 2015–2021, 2007.
- A. M. Intlekofer, N. Takemoto, E. J. Wherry et al., “Effector and memory CD8+ T cell fate coupled by T-bet and eomesodermin,” Nature Immunology, vol. 6, pp. 1236–1244, 2005.
- N. Takemoto, A. M. Intlekofer, J. T. Northrup, E. J. Wherry, and S. L. Reiner, “Cutting edge: IL-12 inversely regulates T-bet and eomesodermin expression during pathogen-induced CD8+ T cell differentiation,” Journal of Immunology, vol. 177, no. 11, pp. 7515–7519, 2006.
- D. Eto, C. Lao, D. DiToro et al., “IL-21 and IL-6 are critical for different aspects of B cell immunity and redundantly induce optimal follicular helper CD4 T cell (Tfh) differentiation,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 3, Article ID e17739, 2011.
- J. A. Harker, G. M. Lewis, L. Mack, and E. I. Zuniga, “Late interleukin-6 escalates T follicular helper cell responses and controls a chronic viral infection,” Science, vol. 334, no. 6057, pp. 825–829, 2011.
- R. I. Nurieva, Y. Chung, G. J. Martinez et al., “Bcl6 mediates the development of T follicular helper cells,” Science, vol. 325, no. 5943, pp. 1001–1005, 2009.
- C. J. Henry, J. M. Grayson, K. L. Brzoza-Lewis et al., “The roles of IL-12 and IL-23 in CD8+ T cell-mediated immunity against Listeria monocytogenes: insights from a DC vaccination model,” Cellular Immunology, vol. 264, no. 1, pp. 23–31, 2010.