- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 127570, 8 pages
Antibiogram, Adhesive Characteristics, and Incidence of Class 1 Integron in Aeromonas Species Isolated from Two South African Rivers
Applied and Environmental Microbiology Research Group (AEMREG), Department of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Fort Hare, Private Bag X1314, Alice 5700, South Africa
Received 29 May 2013; Revised 25 August 2013; Accepted 27 August 2013
Academic Editor: Yanmin Hu
Copyright © 2013 Isoken H. Igbinosa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. T. Abulhamd, “Characterization of Aeromonas hydrophila isolated from aquatic environments using phenotypic and genotyping methods,” Research Journal of Agriculture and Biological Sciences, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 923–931, 2009.
- R. R. Colwell, M. T. MacDonell, and J. De Ley, “Proposal to recognize the family Aeromonadaceae fam. nov,” International Journal of Systematic Bacteriology, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 473–477, 1986.
- I. H. Igbinosa, E. U. Igumbor, F. Aghdasi, M. Tom, and A. I. Okoh, “Emerging Aeromonas species infections and their significance in public health,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2012, Article ID 625023, 13 pages, 2012.
- M. J. Saavedra, S. Guedes-Novais, A. Alves et al., “Resistance to β-lactam antibiotics in Aeromonas hydrophila isolated from rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss),” International Microbiology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 207–211, 2004.
- I. Kühn, G. Allestam, G. Huys et al., “Diversity, persistence, and virulence of Aeromonas strains isolated from drinking water distribution systems in Sweden,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 63, no. 7, pp. 2708–2715, 1997.
- S. W. Joseph, “Aeromonas gastrointestinal disease: a case study in causation?” in The Genus Aeromonas, B. Austin, M. Altwegg, P. J. Gosling, and S. W. Joseph, Eds., pp. 311–326, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, UK, 1996.
- J. M. Janda and P. S. Duffey, “Mesophilic aeromonads in human disease: current taxonomy, laboratory identification, and infectious disease spectrum,” Reviews of Infectious Diseases, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 980–997, 1988.
- M. J. Figueras, A. Alperi, M. J. Saavedra et al., “Clinical relevance of the recently described species Aeromonas aquariorum,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 11, pp. 3742–3746, 2009.
- J. R. Huddleston, J. C. Zak, and R. M. Jeter, “Antimicrobial susceptibilities of Aeromonas spp. isolated from environmental sources,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 72, no. 11, pp. 7036–7042, 2006.
- L. Gordon, A. Cloeckaert, B. Doublet et al., “Complete sequence of the floR-carrying multiresistance plasmid pAB5S9 from freshwater Aeromonas bestiarum,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 62, no. 1, pp. 65–71, 2008.
- B. Halling-Sørensen, S. Nors Nielsen, P. F. Lanzky, F. Ingerslev, H. C. Holten Lützhøft, and S. E. Jørgensen, “Occurrence, fate and effects of pharmaceutical substances in the environment: a review,” Chemosphere, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 357–393, 1998.
- R. J. Ash, B. Mauck, and M. Morgan, “Antibiotic resistance of gram-negative bacteria in rivers, United States,” Emerging Infectious Diseases, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 713–716, 2002.
- N. Borrell, M. J. Figueras, and J. Guarro, “Phenotypic identification of Aeromonas genomospecies from clinical and environmental sources,” Canadian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 103–108, 1998.
- S. W. Joseph and A. M. Carnahan, “Update on the genus Aeromonas,” ASM News, vol. 66, pp. 218–223, 2000.
- R. M. Hall and H. W. Stokes, “Integrons: novel DNA elements which capture genes by site-specific recombination,” Genetica, vol. 90, no. 2-3, pp. 115–132, 1993.
- R. M. Hall and C. M. Collis, “Mobile gene cassettes and integrons: capture and spread of genes by site-specific recombination,” Molecular Microbiology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 593–600, 1995.
- S. Bayoudh, L. Ponsonnet, H. B. Ouada, A. Bakhrouf, and A. Othmane, “Bacterial detachment from hydrophilic and hydrophobic surfaces using a microjet impingement,” Colloids and Surfaces A, vol. 266, no. 1–3, pp. 160–167, 2005.
- L. C. Simões, N. Azevedo, A. Pacheco, C. W. Keevil, and M. J. Vieira, “Drinking water biofilm assessment of total and culturable bacteria under different operating conditions,” Biofouling, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 91–99, 2006.
- S. M. Kirov, M. Castrisios, and J. G. Shaw, “Aeromonas flagella (polar and lateral) are enterocyte adhesins that contribute to biofilm formation on surfaces,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 72, no. 4, pp. 1939–1945, 2004.
- S. M. September, F. A. Els, S. N. Venter, and V. S. Brözel, “Prevalence of bacterial pathogens in biofilms of drinking water distribution systems,” Journal of Water and Health, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 219–227, 2007.
- R. M. Donlan, “Biofilm formation: a clinically relevant microbiological process,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 1387–1392, 2001.
- O. A. Odeyemi, A. Asmat, and G. Usup, “Antibiotics resistance and putative virulence factors of Aeromonas hydrophila isolated from estuary,” Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences, vol. 1, no. 6, pp. 1339–1357, 2012.
- H. M. Probert and G. R. Gibson, “Bacterial biofilms in the human gastrointestinal tract,” Current Issues in Intestinal Microbiology, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 23–27, 2002.
- M. B. Melchior, H. Vaarkamp, and J. Fink-Gremmels, “Biofilms: a role in recurrent mastitis infections?” Veterinary Journal, vol. 171, no. 3, pp. 398–407, 2006.
- M. J. Figueras, A. Suarez-Franquet, M. R. Chacón et al., “First record of the rare species Aeromonas culicicola from a drinking water supply,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 538–541, 2005.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI), Methods for Dilution of Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria that Grow Aerobically: Approved Standard M7-A7, Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2006.
- P. H. Krumperman, “Multiple antibiotic resistance indexing of Escherichia coli to identify high-risk sources of fecal contamination of foods,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 165–170, 1983.
- C. D. Miranda and R. Zemelman, “Antimicrobial multiresistance in bacteria isolated from freshwater Chilean salmon farms,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 293, no. 1–3, pp. 207–218, 2002.
- R. Tao, G. G. Ying, H. C. Su, H. W. Zhou, and J. P. S. Sidhu, “Detection of antibiotic resistance and tetracycline resistance genes in Enterobacteriaceae isolated from the Pearl rivers in South China,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 158, no. 6, pp. 2101–2109, 2010.
- J. Sambrook and D. W. Russell, Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA, 3rd edition, 2001.
- I. H. Igbinosa and A. I. Okoh, “Detection and distribution of putative virulence associated genes in Aeromonas species from freshwater and wastewater treatment plant,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, 2013.
- S. Stepanovic, D. Vukovic, I. Davic, B. Savić, and M. Švabić-Vlahović, “A modified microtiter-plate test for quantification of staphylococcal biofilm formation,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 175–179, 2000.
- N. Cevahir, M. Demir, I. Kaleli, M. Gurbuz, and S. Tikvesli, “Evaluation of biofilm production, gelatinase activity, and mannose-resistant hemagglutination in Acinetobacter baumannii strains,” Journal of Microbiology, Immunology and Infection, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 513–518, 2008.
- A. Hassan, J. Usman, F. Kaleem, M. Omair, A. Khalid, and M. Iqbal, “Evaluation of different detection methods of biofilm formation in the clinical isolates,” Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 305–311, 2011.
- P. Holmes, L. M. Niccolls, and D. P. Sartory, “The ecology of mesophilic Aeromonas in the aquatic environment,” in The Genus Aeromonas, B. Austin, M. Altwegg, P. J. Gosling, and S. Joseph, Eds., pp. 127–150, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1996.
- D. Bizani and A. Brandelli, “Antimicrobial susceptibility, hemolysis, and hemagglutination among Aeromonas spp. isolated from water of a bovine abattoir,” Brazilian Journal of Microbiology, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 334–339, 2001.
- C. D. Miranda and G. Castillo, “Resistance to antibiotic and heavy metals of motile aeromonads from Chilean freshwater,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 224, no. 1–3, pp. 167–176, 1998.
- M. Goñi-Urriza, M. Capdepuy, C. Arpin, N. Raymond, and C. Q. Pierre Caumette, “Impact of an urban effluent on antibiotic resistance of riverine Enterobacteriaceae and Aeromonas spp.,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 66, no. 1, pp. 125–132, 2000.
- M. Hatha, A. A. Vivekanandhan, G. Julie Joice, and C. Christol, “Antibiotic resistance pattern of motile aeromonads from farm raised fresh water fish,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 131–134, 2005.
- J. Penders and E. E. Stobberingh, “Antibiotic resistance of motile aeromonads in indoor catfish and eel farms in the southern part of The Netherlands,” International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 261–265, 2008.
- M. Lukkana, J. Wongtavatchai, and R. Chuanchuen, “Class 1 integrons in Aeromonas hydrophila isolates from farmed Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis nilotica),” Journal of Veterinary Medical Sciences, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 435–440, 2012.
- L. Ma, X. X. Zhang, S. Cheng et al., “Occurrence, abundance and elimination of class 1 integrons in one municipal sewage treatment plant,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 968–973, 2011.
- D. Kücken, H. H. Feucht, and P. M. Kaulfers, “Association of qacE and qacEΔ1 with multiple resistance to antibiotics and antiseptics in clinical isolates of Gram-negative bacteria,” FEMS Microbiology Letters, vol. 183, no. 1, pp. 95–98, 2000.
- P. A. White and W. D. Rawlinson, “Current status of the aadA dfr gene cassette families,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 495–496, 2001.
- M. A. Leverstein-Van Hall, H. E. M. Blok, A. R. T. Donders, A. Paauw, A. C. Fluit, and J. Verhoe, “Multidrug resistance among enterobacteriaceae is strongly associated with the presence of integrons and is independent of species or isolate origin,” Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 251–259, 2003.
- H. Sørum, T. M. L'Abée-Lund, A. Solberg, and A. Wold, “Integron-containing IncU R plasmids pRAS1 and pAr-32 from the fish pathogen Aeromonas salmonicida,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 1285–1290, 2003.
- W. H. Gaze, N. Abdouslam, P. M. Hawkey, and E. M. H. Wellington, “Incidence of class 1 integrons in a quaternary ammonium compound-polluted environment,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 1802–1807, 2005.
- S. J. Rosser and H. K. Young, “Identification and characterization of class 1 integrons in bacteria from an aquatic environment,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 1999.
- J. Lin and P. T. Biyela, “Convergent acquisition of antibiotic resistance determinants amongst the Enterobacteriaceae isolates of the Mhlathuze River, KwaZulu-Natal (RSA),” Water SA, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 257–260, 2005.
- V. Dubois, M. P. Parizano, C. Arpin, L. Coulange, M. C. Bezian, and C. Quentin, “High genetic stability of integrons in clinical isolates of Shigella spp. of worldwide origin,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1333–1340, 2007.
- Y. P. Tsai, “Simulation of biofilm formation at different assimilable organic carbon concentrations under lower flow velocity condition,” Journal of Basic Microbiology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 475–485, 2005.
- N. Saidi, M. Snoussi, D. Usai, S. Zanetti, and A. Bakhrouf, “Adhesive properties of Aeromonas hydrophila strains isolated from Tunisian aquatic biotopes,” African Journal of Microbiology Research, vol. 5, no. 31, pp. 5644–5655, 2011.
- A. A. Rabaan, I. Gryllos, J. M. Tomás, and J. G. Shaw, “Motility and the polar flagellum are required for Aeromonas caviae adherence to HEp-2 cells,” Infection and Immunity, vol. 69, no. 7, pp. 4257–4267, 2001.
- C. A. Fux, J. W. Costerton, P. S. Stewart, and P. Stoodley, “Survival strategies of infectious biofilms,” Trends in Microbiology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 34–40, 2005.
- M. Nawaz, S. A. Khan, A. A. Khan et al., “Detection and characterization of virulence genes and integrons in Aeromonas veronii isolated from catfish,” Food Microbiology, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 327–331, 2010.