- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 134872, 11 pages
Treatment of Slaughter House Wastewater in a Sequencing Batch Reactor: Performance Evaluation and Biodegradation Kinetics
Environmental Engineering Division, Civil Engineering Department, Jadavpur University, Kolkata 32, India
Received 27 April 2013; Revised 9 July 2013; Accepted 9 July 2013
Academic Editor: Eldon R. Rene
Copyright © 2013 Pradyut Kundu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. O. Akinro, I. B. Ologunagba, and O. Yahaya, “Environmental implications of unhygienic operation of a city abattoir in Akure, Western Nigeria,” ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 311–315, 2009.
- V. P. Singh and S. Neelam, “A survey report on impact of abattoir activities management on environments,” Indian Journal of Veterinarians, vol. 6, pp. 973–978, 2011.
- S. M. Gauri, “Treatment of wastewater from abattoirs before land application: a review,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 1119–1135, 2006.
- Y. O. Bello and D. T. A. Oyedemi, “Impact of abattoir activities and management in residential neighbourhoods: a case study of Ogbomoso, Nigeria,” Journal of Social Science, vol. 19, pp. 121–127, 2009.
- D. Muhirwa, I. Nhapi, U. Wali, N. Banadda, J. Kashaigili, and R. Kimwaga, “Characterization of wastewater from an abattoir in Rwanda and the impact on downstream water quality,” International Journal of Ecology, Development, vol. 16, no. 10, pp. 30–46, 2010.
- A. O. Aniebo, S. N. Wekhe, and I. C. Okoli, “Abattoir blood waste generation in rivers state and its environmental implications in the Niger Delta,” Toxicological and Environmental Chemistry, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 619–625, 2009.
- O. Chukwu, “Analysis of groundwater pollution from abattoir Waste in Minna, Nigeria,” Research Journal of Diary Science, vol. 2, pp. 74–77, 2008.
- J. Grady, G. Daigger, and H. Lim, Biological Wastewater Treatment, Marcel Dekker, New York, NY, USA, 1999.
- I. Ruiz, M. C. Veiga, P. de Santiago, and R. Blfizquez, “Treatment of slaughterhouse wastewater in a UASB reactor and an anaerobic filter,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 251–258, 1997.
- D. I. Massé and L. Masse, “Treatment of slaughterhouse wastewater in anaerobic sequencing batch reactors,” Canadian Agricultural Engineering, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 131–137, 2000.
- K. Sombatsompop, A. Songpim, S. Reabroi, and P. Inkong-ngam, “A comparative study of sequencing batch reactor and movingbed sequencing batch reactor for piggery wastewater treatment,” Maejo International Journal of Science and Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 191–203, 2011.
- Y. Rahimi, A. Torabian, N. Mehrdadi, and B. Shahmoradi, “Simultaneous nitrification-denitrification and phosphorus removal in a fixed bed sequencing batch reactor (FBSBR),” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 185, no. 2-3, pp. 852–857, 2011.
- E. Bazrafshan, F. K. Mostafapour, M. Farzadkia, K. A. Ownagh, and A. H. Mahvi, “Slaughterhouse wastewater treatment by combined chemical coagulation and electrocoagulation process,” PLOS ONE, vol. 7, no. 6, 2012.
- R. Rajakumar, T. Meenambal, P. M. Saravanan, and P. Ananthanarayanan, “Treatment of poultry slaughterhouse wastewater in hybrid upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor packed with pleated poly vinyl chloride rings,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 103, no. 1, pp. 116–122, 2012.
- G. C. Sunder and S. Satyanarayan, “Efficient treatment of slaughter house wastewater by anaerobic hybrid reactor packed with special floating media,” International Journal of Chemical and Physical Sciences, vol. 2, pp. 73–81, 2013.
- European Commission, Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control: Reference Document on Best Available Techniques in the Slaughterhouses and Animal by-Products Industries, 2005.
- A. H. Mahvi, “Sequencing batch reactor: a promising technology in wastewater treatment,” Iranian Journal of Environmental Health Science and Engineering, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 79–90, 2008.
- N. Z. Al-Mutairi, M. F. Hamoda, and I. A. Al-Ghusain, “Slaughterhouse wastewater treatment using date seeds as adsorbent,” Journal of Environment Science and Health, vol. 55, pp. 678–710, 2007.
- R. Boopathy, C. Bonvillain, Q. Fontenot, and M. Kilgen, “Biological treatment of low-salinity shrimp aquaculture wastewater using sequencing batch reactor,” International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 16–19, 2007.
- H. S. Kim, Y. K. Choung, S. J. Ahn, and H. S. Oh, “Enhancing nitrogen removal of piggery wastewater by membrane bioreactor combined with nitrification reactor,” Desalination, vol. 223, no. 1–3, pp. 194–204, 2008.
- N. Z. Al-Mutairi, F. A. Al-Sharifi, and S. B. Al-Shammari, “Evaluation study of a slaughterhouse wastewater treatment plant including contact-assisted activated sludge and DAF,” Desalination, vol. 225, no. 1–3, pp. 167–175, 2008.
- D. Roy, K. Hassan, and R. Boopathy, “Effect of carbon to nitrogen (C : N) ratio on nitrogen removal from shrimp production waste water using sequencing batch reactor,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1105–1110, 2010.
- R. Rajagopal, N. Rousseau, N. Bernet, and F. Béline, “Combined anaerobic and activated sludge anoxic/oxic treatment for piggery wastewater,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 2185–2192, 2011.
- J. Palatsi, M. Vinas, M. Guivernau, B. Fernandez, and X. Flotats, “Anaerobic digestion of slaughterhouse waste: main process limitations and microbial community interactions,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 102, no. 3, pp. 2219–2227, 2011.
- C. Kern and R. Boopathy, “Use of sequencing batch reactor in the treatment of shrimp aquaculture wastewater,” Journal of Water Sustainability, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 221–232, 2012.
- F. Wang, Y. Liu, J. Wang, Y. Zhang, and H. Yang, “Influence of growth manner on nitrifying bacterial communities and nitrification kinetics in three lab-scale bioreactors,” Journal of Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 595–604, 2012.
- D. Obaja, S. Mac, and J. Mata-Alvarez, “Biological nutrient removal by a sequencing batch reactor (SBR) using an internal organic carbon source in digested piggery wastewater,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 7–14, 2005.
- K. V. Lo and P. H. Liao, “A full-scale sequencing batch reactor system for swine wastewater treatment,” Journal of Environmental Science and Health, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 237–240, 2007.
- A. H. Mahvi, A. R. Mesdaghinia, and F. Karakani, “Nitrogen removal from wastewater in a continuous flow sequencing batch reactor,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1880–1883, 2004.
- R. Lemaire, Z. Yuan, B. Nicolas, M. Marcelino, G. Yilmaz, and J. Keller, “A sequencing batch reactor system for high-level biological nitrogen and phosphorus removal from abattoir wastewater,” Biodegradation, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 339–350, 2009.
- S. Q. Aziz, H. A. Aziz, M. S. Yusoff, and M. J. K. Bashir, “Landfill leachate treatment using powdered activated carbon augmented sequencing batch reactor (SBR) process: optimization by response surface methodology,” Journal of Hazardous Materials, vol. 189, no. 1-2, pp. 404–413, 2011.
- G. Durai, N. Rajamohan, C. Karthikeyan, and M. Rajasimman, “Kinetics studies on biological treatment of tannery wastewater using mixed culture,” International Journal of Chemical and Biological Engineering, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 105–109, 2010.
- M. Faouzi, M. Merzouki, and M. Benlemlih, “Contribution to optimize the biological treatment of synthetic tannery effluent by the sequencing batch reactor,” Journal of Materials and Environmental Science, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 532–541, 2013.
- S. Dey and S. Mukherjee, “Performance and kinetic evaluation of phenol biodegradation by mixed microbial culture in a batch reactor,” International Journal of Water Resources and Environmental Engineering, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 40–49, 2010.
- American Public Health Association, American Water Works Association, Water Pollution Control Federation, Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, American Water Works Association, Washington, DC, USA, 20th edition, 1998.
- H. Furumai, A. Kazmi, Y. Furuya, and K. Sasaki, “Modeling long term nutrient removal in a sequencing batch reactor,” Water Research, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 2708–2714, 1999.
- A. Tremblay, R. D. Tyagi, and R. Y. Surampalli, “Effect of SRT on nutrient removal in SBR system,” Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 183–190, 1999.
- A. W. Lawrence and P. L. McCarty, “Unified basis for biological treatment design and operation,” Journal of the Sanitary Engineering Division, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 757–778, 1970.
- J. P. Li, M. G. Healy, X. M. Zhan, and M. Rodgers, “Nutrient removal from slaughterhouse wastewater in an intermittently aerated sequencing batch reactor,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 99, no. 16, pp. 7644–7650, 2008.
- P. Fongsatitkul, D. G. Wareham, P. Elefsiniotis, and P. Charoensuk, “Treatment of a slaughterhouse wastewater: effect of internal recycle rate on chemical oxygen demand, total Kjeldahl nitrogen and total phosphorus removal,” Environmental Technology, vol. 32, no. 15, pp. 1755–1759, 2011.
- R. Kanimozhi and N. Vasudevan, “Effect of organic loading rate on the performance of aerobic SBR treating anaerobically digested distillery wastewater,” Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, vol. 15, pp. 511–528, 2013.
- D. Kulikowska and E. Klimiuk, “Removal of organics and nitrogen from municipal landfill leachate in two-stage SBR reactors,” Polish Journal of Environmental Studies, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 389–396, 2004.
- J. Doyle, S. Watts, D. Solley, and J. Keller, “Exceptionally high-rate nitrification in sequencing batch reactors treating high ammonia landfill leachate,” Water Science and Technology, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 315–322, 2001.
- Metcalf and Eddy Inc., Wastewater Engineering Treatment Disposal Reuse, Tata McGraw-Hill, 3rd edition, 1995.
- D. P. Barnes and P. J. Bliss, Biological Control of Nitrogen in Wastewater Treatment, E. & F.N. Spon, London, UK, 1983.