- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 136590, 9 pages
In Vitro Release Kinetics of Antituberculosis Drugs from Nanoparticles Assessed Using a Modified Dissolution Apparatus
1Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, T6G 2E1, Canada
2Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, 05508-000 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
3Merck & Co., Basic Pharmaceutical Sciences, West Point, PA 19486, USA
4Faculty of Pharmacy, Rhodes University, Grahamstown 6140, South Africa
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 11 June 2013; Accepted 11 June 2013
Academic Editor: Kamla Pathak
Copyright © 2013 Yuan Gao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Washington, “Drug release from microdisperse systems: a critical review,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1990.
- S. S. D'Souza and P. P. DeLuca, “Methods to assess in vitro drug release from injectable polymeric particulate systems,” Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 460–474, 2006.
- U. Bhardwaj and D. J. Burgess, “A novel USP apparatus 4 based release testing method for dispersed systems,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 388, no. 1-2, pp. 287–294, 2010.
- M. M. A. Abdel-Mottaleb and A. Lamprecht, “Standardized in vitro drug release test for colloidal drug carriers using modified USP dissolution apparatus I,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 178–184, 2011.
- M. H. Langlois, M. Montagut, J. P. Dubost, J. Grellet, and M. C. Saux, “Protonation equilibrium and lipophilicity of moxifloxacin,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 389–393, 2005.
- H. R. Park, T. H. Kim, and K. M. Bark, “Physicochemical properties of quinolone antibiotics in various environments,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 443–460, 2002.
- C. Becker, J. B. Dressman, H. E. Junginger et al., “Biowaiver monographs for immediate release solid oral dosage forms: rifampicin,” Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 98, no. 7, pp. 2252–2267, 2009.
- J. Kreuter, R. Mauler, H. Gruschkau, and P. P. Speiser, “The use of new polymethylmethacrylate adjuvants for split influenza vaccines,” Experimental Cell Biology, vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 12–19, 1976.
- N. A. Peppas, “Analysis of Fickian and non-Fickian drug release from polymers,” Pharmaceutica Acta Helvetiae, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 110–111, 1985.
- S. Azarmi, Y. Huang, H. Chen et al., “Optimization of a two-step desolvation method for preparing gelatin nanoparticles and cell uptake studies in 143B osteosarcoma cancer cells,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 124–132, 2006.
- S. Azarmi, X. Tao, H. Chen et al., “Formulation and cytotoxicity of doxorubicin nanoparticles carried by dry powder aerosol particles,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 319, no. 1-2, pp. 155–161, 2006.
- K. M. H. D. Al-Hallak, S. Azarmi, A. Anwar-Mohamed, W. H. Roa, and R. Löbenberg, “Secondary cytotoxicity mediated by alveolar macrophages: a contribution to the total efficacy of nanoparticles in lung cancer therapy?” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 112–119, 2010.
- Y. Zhang, M. Huo, J. Zhou et al., “DDSolver: an add-in program for modeling and comparison of drug dissolution profiles,” AAPS Journal, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 263–271, 2010.
- D. Huang and F. Yi, “Determination of moxifloxacin hydrochloride and dexamethasone acetate in compound moxifloxacin ear drops by HPLC,” West China Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 188–189, 2009.
- R. S. Wallis, W. Jakubiec, V. Kumar et al., “Biomarker-assisted dose selection for safety and efficacy in early development of PNU-100480 for tuberculosis,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 567–574, 2011.
- X. Xu, M. A. Khan, and D. J. Burgess, “A two-stage reverse dialysis in vitro dissolution testing method for passive targeted liposomes,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 426, no. 1-2, pp. 211–218, 2012.
- N. Chidambaram and D. J. Burgess, “A novel in vitro release method for submicron-sized dispersed systems,” AAPS PharmSci, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 1–9, 1999.
- B. D. Howes, L. Guerrini, S. Sanchez-Cortes, M. P. Marzocchi, J. V. Garcia-Ramos, and G. Smulevich, “The influence of pH and anions on the adsorption mechanism of rifampicin on silver colloids,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy, vol. 38, no. 7, pp. 859–864, 2007.
- G. Pelizza, M. Nebuloni, P. Ferrari, and G. G. Gallo, “Polymorphism of rifampicin,” Farmaco, Edizione Scientifica, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 471–481, 1977.
- X. Wang, S. Wang, T. Jiang, X. Zhang, Z. Wang, and W. Zheng, “Compatibility and stability of anti-tubercular fixed-dose combinations,” Chinese Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 154–160, 2009.
- K. O. Kisich, S. Gelperina, M. P. Higgins et al., “Encapsulation of moxifloxacin within poly(butyl cyanoacrylate) nanoparticles enhances efficacy against intracellular Mycobacterium tuberculosis,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 345, no. 1-2, pp. 154–162, 2007.
- S. B. Bhise and S. J. Mookkan, “Formulation and evaluation of novel FDCs of antitubercular drug,” Journal of Pharmacy Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 437–444, 2009.
- G. R. Ziegler and E. A. Foegeding, “The gelation of proteins,” Advances in Food and Nutrition Research, vol. 34, pp. 203–298, 1990.
- O. O. Maksimenko, L. V. Vanchugova, E. V. Shipulo et al., “Effects of technical parameters on the physicochemical properties of rifampicin-containing polylactide nanoparticles,” Pharmaceutical Chemistry Journal, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 151–156, 2010.
- L. Barbassa, E. M. Mamizuka, and A. M. Carmona-Ribeiro, “Supramolecular assemblies of rifampicin and cationic bilayers: preparation, characterization and micobactericidal activity,” BMC Biotechnology, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 40–47, 2011.
- A. K. Bajpai and J. Choubey, “In vitro release dynamics of an anticancer drug from swellable gelatin nanoparticles,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 101, no. 4, pp. 2320–2332, 2006.
- S. Agrawal and R. Panchagnula, “Implication of biopharmaceutics and pharmacokinetics of rifampicin in variable bioavailability from solid oral dosage forms,” Biopharmaceutics and Drug Disposition, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 321–334, 2005.
- T. T. Mariappan and S. Singh, “Regional gastrointestinal permeability of rifampicin and isoniazid (alone and their combination) in the rat,” International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, vol. 7, no. 8, pp. 797–803, 2003.
- B. P. Kamat and J. Seetharamappa, “Mechanism of interaction of vincristine sulphate and rifampicin with bovine serum albumin: a spectroscopic study,” Journal of Chemical Sciences, vol. 117, no. 6, pp. 649–655, 2005.
- D. Y. Arifin, L. Y. Lee, and C. H. Wang, “Mathematical modeling and simulation of drug release from microspheres: implications to drug delivery systems,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 58, no. 12-13, pp. 1274–1325, 2006.