- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 138027, 5 pages
Stress Evaluation in Adult Patients with Atopic Dermatitis Using Salivary Cortisol
1Department of Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, 2630 Sugitani, Toyama-shi, Toyama 930-0194, Japan
2Graduate School of Engineering, Iwate University, 4-3-5 Ueda, Morioka-shi, Iwate 020-8551, Japan
Received 19 April 2013; Accepted 26 June 2013
Academic Editor: Tokuya Omi
Copyright © 2013 Megumi Mizawa et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Bieber, “Atopic dermatitis,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 358, no. 14, pp. 1483–1494, 2008.
- A. Kodama, T. Horikawa, T. Suzuki et al., “Effect of stress on atopic dermatitis: investigation in patients after the Great Hanshin Earthquake,” Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, vol. 104, no. 1, pp. 173–176, 1999.
- M. Arima, Y. Shimizu, J. Sowa et al., “Psychosomatic analysis of atopic dermatitis using a psychological test,” Journal of Dermatology, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 160–168, 2005.
- M.-A. Morren, B. Przybilla, M. Bamelis, B. Heykants, A. Reynaers, and H. Degreef, “Atopic dermatitis: triggering factors,” Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 467–473, 1994.
- W. J. Inder, G. Dimeski, and A. Russell, “Measurement of salivary cortisol in 2012—laboratory techniques and clinical indications,” Clinical Endocrinology, vol. 77, no. 5, pp. 645–651.
- L. H. Powell, W. R. Lovallo, K. A. Matthews et al., “Physiologic markers of chronic stress in premenopausal, middle-aged women,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 502–509, 2002.
- A. Steptoe, M. Cropley, J. Griffith, and C. Kirschbaum, “Job strain and anger expression predict early morning elevations in salivary cortisol,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 286–292, 2000.
- M. C. Ockenfels, L. Porter, J. Smyth, C. Kirschbaum, D. H. Hellhammer, and A. A. Stone, “Effect of chronic stress associated with unemployment on salivary cortisol: overall cortisol levels, diurnal rhythm, and acute stress reactivity,” Psychosomatic Medicine, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 460–467, 1995.
- B. Rai, J. Kaur, S. C. Anand, and R. Jacobs, “Salivary stress markers, stress, and periodontitis: a Pilot Study,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 82, no. 2, pp. 287–292, 2011.
- M. Koray, O. Dülger, G. Ak et al., “The evaluation of anxiety and salivary cortisol levels in patients with oral lichen planus,” Oral Diseases, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 298–301, 2003.
- C. Liezmann, B. Klapp, and E. M. J. Peters, “Stress, atopy and allergy: a re-evaluation from a psychoneuroimmunologic persepective,” Dermato-Endocrinology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 37–40, 2011.
- I. Katayama, S. J. Bae, Y. Hamasaki, et al., “Stress response, tachykinin, and cutaneous inflammation,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology Symposium Proceedings, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 81–86, 2001.
- P. C. Arck, A. Slominski, T. C. Theoharides, E. M. J. Peters, and R. Paus, “Neuroimmunology of stress: skin takes center stage,” Journal of Investigative Dermatology, vol. 126, no. 8, pp. 1697–1704, 2006.
- I. M. Haeck, L. Timmer-De Mik, E. G. W. M. Lentjes et al., “Low basal serum cortisol in patients with severe atopic dermatitis: potent topical corticosteroids wrongfully accused,” British Journal of Dermatology, vol. 156, no. 5, pp. 979–985, 2007.
- H. Fukuda, T. Suzuki, A. Saotome, E. Sode, and H. Mukai, “Efficacy of inpatient treatment for atopic dermatitis evaluated by changes in serum cortisol levels,” Journal of Dermatology, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 43–47, 2013.