- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 138719, 7 pages
Alpha-Lipoic Acid Attenuates Renal Injury in Rats with Obstructive Nephropathy
1Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
2Clinical Biochemistry and Movement Sciences Research Group, Faculty of Associated Medical Sciences, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
3Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
Received 24 June 2013; Accepted 2 September 2013
Academic Editor: Christian Schwentner
Copyright © 2013 Orawan Wongmekiat et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. T. Grande, F. Pérez-Barriocanal, and J. M. Lápez-Novoa, “Role of inflammation in tbulo-interstitial damage associated to obstructive nephropathy,” Journal of Inflammation, vol. 7, article 19, 2010.
- W. Manucha, “Biochemical-molecular markers in unilateral ureteral obstruction,” Biocell, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 2007.
- W. Chan, R. J. Krieg Jr., K. Ward, F. Santos Jr., K.-C. Lin, and J. C. M. Chan, “Progression after release of obstructive nephropathy,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 238–244, 2001.
- A. Dendooven, D. A. Ishola Jr., T. Q. Nguyen et al., “Oxidative stress in obstructive nephropathy,” International Journal of Experimental Pathology, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 202–210, 2011.
- M. Zecher, C. Guichard, M. J. Velásquez, G. Figueroa, and R. Rodrigo, “Implications of oxidative stress in the pathophysiology of obstructive uropathy,” Urological Research, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 2009.
- A. Goŗca, H. Huk-Kolega, A. Piechota, P. Kleniewska, E. Ciejka, and B. Skibska, “Lipoic acid—biological activity and therapeutic potential,” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 849–858, 2011.
- A. O. Abdel-Zaher, R. H. Abdel-Hady, M. M. Mahmoud, and M. M. Y. Farrag, “The potential protective role of alpha-lipoic acid against acetaminophen-induced hepatic and renal damage,” Toxicology, vol. 243, no. 3, pp. 261–270, 2008.
- A. Bilska and L. Włodek, “Lipoic acid—the drug of the future?” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 570–577, 2005.
- U. Singh and I. Jialal, “Alpha-lipoic acid supplementation and diabetes,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 646–657, 2008.
- A. R. Smith, S. V. Shenvi, M. Widlansky, J. H. Suh, and T. M. Hagen, “Lipoic acid as a potential therapy for chronic diseases associated with oxidative stress,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 9, pp. 1135–1146, 2004.
- G. Amudha, A. Josephine, V. Sudhahar, and P. Varalakshmi, “Protective effect of lipoic acid on oxidative and peroxidative damage in cyclosporine A-induced renal toxicity,” International Immunopharmacology, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1442–1449, 2007.
- K. P. Kang, D. H. Kim, Y. J. Jung et al., “Alpha-lipoic acid attenuates cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury in mice by suppressing renal inflammation,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 3012–3020, 2009.
- Ö. Şehirli, E. Şener, Ş. Çetinel, M. Yüksel, N. Gedik, and G. Şener, “α-lipoic acid protects against renal ischaemia-reperfusion injury in rats,” Clinical and Experimental Pharmacology and Physiology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 249–255, 2008.
- D. R. Cremer, R. Rabeler, A. Roberts, and B. Lynch, “Long-term safety of α-lipoic acid (ALA) consumption: a 2-year study,” Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 193–201, 2006.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- E. Beutler, “Reduced glutathione,” in Red Blood Cell Metabolism, E. Beutler, Ed., vol. 83, pp. 112–114, Grunne and Stratton, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- S. Demirbilek, M. H. Emre, E. N. Aydin et al., “Sulfasalazine reduces inflammatory renal injury in unilateral ureteral obstruction,” Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 804–812, 2007.
- R.-M. Liu and K. A. Gaston Pravia, “Oxidative stress and glutathione in TGF-β-mediated fibrogenesis,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 48, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 2010.
- M. Yanagita, “Inhibitors/antagonists of TGF-beta system in kidney fibrosis,” Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 3686–3691, 2012.
- X.-S. Xie, M. Yang, H.-C. Liu et al., “Influence of ginsenoside Rg1, a panaxatriol saponin from Panax notoginseng, on renal fibrosis in rats with unilateral ureteral obstruction,” Journal of Zhejiang University B, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 885–894, 2008.
- R. L. Chevalier, M. S. Forbes, and B. A. Thornhill, “Ureteral obstruction as a model of renal interstitial fibrosis and obstructive nephropathy,” Kidney International, vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 1145–1152, 2009.
- M. Akin, S. Demirbilek, S. Ay et al., “Attenuation of ureteral obstruction-induced renal injury by polyenylphosphatidylcholine,” International Journal of Urology, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 350–356, 2007.
- T. S. Johnson, M. Griffin, G. L. Thomas et al., “The role of transglutaminase in the rat subtotal nephrectomy model of renal fibrosis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 2950–2960, 1997.
- Z. Ying, T. Kampfrath, Q. Sun, S. Parthasarathy, and S. Rajagopalan, “Evidence that α-lipoic acid inhibits NF-κB activation independent of its antioxidant function,” Inflammation Research, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 219–225, 2011.
- B. Chertin, U. Rolle, A. Farkas, and P. Puri, “The role of nitric oxide in reflux nephropathy,” Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 630–634, 2002.
- W. Manucha, L. Oliveros, L. Carrizo, A. Seltzer, and P. Vallés, “Losartan modulation on NOS isoforms and COX-2 expression in early renal fibrogenesis in unilateral obstruction,” Kidney International, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 2091–2107, 2004.
- M. Yamada, M. Kaibori, H. Tanaka et al., “α-lipoic acid prevents the induction of iNOS gene expression through destabilization of its mrna in proinflammatory cytokine-stimulated hepatocytes,” Digestive Diseases and Sciences, pp. 1–9, 2012.