- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 140487, 14 pages
Computational Fluid Dynamics Study of Swimmer's Hand Velocity, Orientation, and Shape: Contributions to Hydrodynamics
1Department of Mechanical Engineering, Kaunas University of Technology, LT-44029 Kaunas, Lithuania
2Mechatronics Centre for Research, Studies and Information, Kaunas University of Technology, LT-44029 Kaunas, Lithuania
3Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Tras-os-Montes and Alto Douro, 5001-801 Vila Real, Portugal
4Centre of Research in Sports, Health and Human Development, CIDESD, 5001-801 Vila Real, Portugal
5Department of Sport Sciences, Exercise and Health, University of Tras-os-Montes and Alto Douro, 5001-801 Vila Real, Portugal
6Department of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Received 18 October 2012; Accepted 17 January 2013
Academic Editor: Giuseppe Spinella
Copyright © 2013 Milda Bilinauskaite et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. V. Deschodt, L. M. Arsac, and A. H. Rouard, “Relative contribution of arms and legs in humans to propulsion in 25-m sprint front-crawl swimming,” European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology, vol. 80, no. 3, pp. 192–199, 1999.
- A. P. Hollander, G. de Groot, G. J. van Ingen Schenau, R. Kahman, and H. M. Toussaint, “Contribution of the legs in front crawl swimming,” in Swimming Science V, B. E. Ungerechts, K. Reischle, and K. Wilke, Eds., pp. 39–43, Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1988.
- D. I. Miller, “Biomechanics of swimming,” in Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, H. Willmore and J. F. Keogh, Eds., pp. 219–248, Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, 1975.
- H. Toussaint and M. Truijens, “Biomechanical aspects of peak performance in human swimming,” Animal Biology, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 17–40, 2005.
- B. Bixler and S. Riewald, “Analysis of a swimmer's hand and arm in steady flow conditions using computational fluid dynamics,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 713–717, 2002.
- M. A. M. Berger, G. de Groot, and A. P. Hollander, “Hydrodynamic drag and lift forces on human hand/arm models,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 125–133, 1995.
- P. Gardano and P. Dabnichki, “On hydrodynamics of drag and lift of the human arm,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 39, no. 15, pp. 2767–2773, 2006.
- M. A. Lauder and P. Dabnichki, “Estimating propulsive forces—sink or swim?” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1984–1990, 2005.
- D. A. Marinho, A. I. Rouboa, F. B. Alves et al., “Hydrodynamic analysis of different thumb positions in swimming,” Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 58–66, 2009.
- D. A. Marinho, T. M. Barbosa, V. M. Reis et al., “Swimming propulsion forces are enhanced by a small finger spread,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 87–92, 2010.
- A. Rouboa, A. Silva, L. Leal, J. Rocha, and F. Alves, “The effect of swimmer's hand/forearm acceleration on propulsive forces generation using computational fluid dynamics,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1239–1248, 2006.
- A. E. Minetti, G. Machtsiras, and J. C. Masters, “The optimum finger spacing in human swimming,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 42, no. 13, pp. 2188–2190, 2009.
- V. Gourgoulis, P. Antoniou, N. Aggeloussis et al., “Kinematic characteristics of the stroke and orientation of the hand during front crawl resisted swimming,” Journal of Sports Sciences, vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 1165–1173, 2010.
- V. Gourgoulis, N. Aggeloussis, N. Vezos, P. Antoniou, and G. Mavromatis, “Hand orientation in hand paddle swimming,” International Journal of Sports Medicine, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 429–434, 2008.
- R. E. Schleihauf, “A hydrodynamic analysis of swimming propulsion,” in Swimming III, J. Terauds and E. W. Bedingfield, Eds., pp. 70–117, University Park Press, Baltimore, Md, USA, 1979.
- H. Takagi, “A quantitative analysis in a sense of catching water for competitive swimmer,” Journal of the Japan Society for Precision Engineering, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 495–498, 1997.
- D. A. Marinho, A. I. Rouboa, T. M. Barbosa, and A. J. Silva, “Modelling swimming hydrodynamics to enhance performance,” The Open Sports Sciences Journal, vol. 3, pp. 43–46, 2010.
- Y. Sato and T. Hino, “Estimation of thrust of swimmer's hand using CFD,” in Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Aqua Bio-Mechanisms, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, September 2003.
- V. Gourgoulis, N. Aggeloussis, N. Vezos, P. Kasimatis, P. Antoniou, and G. Mavromatis, “Estimation of hand forces and propelling efficiency during front crawl swimming with hand paddles,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 41, no. 1, pp. 208–215, 2008.