- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 141427, 7 pages
Characterization and In Vivo Biological Performance of Biosilicate
1Department of Biosciences, Federal University of São Paulo, Avenida Ana Costa 95, 11060-001 Santos, SP, Brazil
2Vitreous Materials Laboratory, Department of Materials Engineering, Federal University of São Carlos, Rodovia Washington Luís (SP-310), Km 235, 13565-905 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
3Department of Physiotherapy, Federal University of São Carlos, Rodovia Washington Luís (SP-310), Km 235, 13565-905 São Carlos, SP, Brazil
Received 6 May 2013; Accepted 18 July 2013
Academic Editor: Stanley J. Stachelek
Copyright © 2013 Ana Claudia M. Renno et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. V. Giannoudis, H. Dinopoulos, and E. Tsiridis, “Bone substitutes: an update,” Injury, vol. 36, pp. S20–S27, 2005.
- A. S. Greenwald, S. D. Boden, V. M. Goldberg, Y. Khan, C. T. Laurencin, and R. N. Rosier, “Bone-graft substitutes: facts, fictions, and applications,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 83, pp. S98–S103, 2001.
- J. R. Jones, E. Gentleman, and J. Polak, “Bioactive glass scaffolds for bone regeneration,” Elements, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 393–399, 2007.
- L. L. Hench, “Bioceramics: from concept to clinics,” Journal of the American Ceramic Society, vol. 74, pp. 1487–1510, 1991.
- L. L. Hench and J. M. Polak, “Third-generation biomedical materials,” Science, vol. 295, no. 5557, pp. 1014–1017, 2002.
- I. D. Xynos, A. J. Edgar, L. D. Buttery, L. L. Hench, and J. M. Polak, “Gene-expression profiling of human osteoblasts following treatment with the ionic products of Bioglass 45S5 dissolution,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 55, pp. 151–157, 2001.
- A. El-Ghannam, P. Ducheyne, and I. M. Shapiro, “Effect of serum proteins on osteoblast adhesion to surface-modified bioactive glass and hydroxyapatite,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 340–345, 1999.
- M. T. Souza, Development of highly bioactive glass fiber meshes. Dissertation: Post-Graduation Program in Materials Science and Engineering, Federal University of São Carlos, São Carlos, Brazil, 2011.
- O. Peitl, E. D. Zanotto, F. C. Serbena, and L. L. Hench, “Compositional and microstructural design of highly bioactive P2O5-Na2O-CaO-SiO2 glass-ceramics,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 321–332, 2012.
- T. Kokubo, “Bioactive glass ceramics: properties and applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 155–163, 1991.
- C. Ravagnani, O. Peitl, E. D. Zanotto, E. H. G. Lara, and H. Panzeri, “Process and compositions for preparing particulate, bioactive or resorbable biosilicates for use in the treatment of oral aliments,” Classificação Internacional C03C10/00, INPI 03006441, Universidade Federal de São Carlos; Universidade de São Paulo, São Carlos, Brazil, 2004.
- M. Bohner and J. Lemaitre, “Can bioactivity be tested in vitro with SBF solution?” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2175–2179, 2009.
- P. Li, Q. Yang, F. Zhang, and T. Kokubo, “The effect of residual glassy phase in a bioactive glass-ceramic on the formation of its surface apatite layer in vitro,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 452–456, 1992.
- O. Peitl, G. La Torre, and L. L. Hench, “Effect of crystallization on apatite-layer formation of bioactive glass 45S5,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 30, pp. 509–514, 1996.
- O. Peitl, E. Dutra Zanotto, and L. L. Hench, “Highly bioactive P2O5-Na2O-CaO-SiO2 glass-ceramics,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, vol. 292, no. 1-3, pp. 115–126, 2001.
- C. Tirapelli, H. Panzeri, R. G. Soares, O. Peitl, and E. D. Zanotto, “A novel bioactive glass-ceramic for treating dentin hypersensitivity,” Brazilian Oral Research, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 381–387, 2010.
- C. H. G. Martins, T. C. Carvalho, M. G. M. Souza et al., “Assessment of antimicrobial effect of Biosilicate against anaerobic, microaerophilic and facultative anaerobic microorganisms,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1439–1446, 2011.
- G. Zimmermann, U. Müller, and A. Wentzensen, “The value of laboratory and imaging studies in the evaluation of long-bone non-unions,” Injury, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. S33–S37, 2007.
- T. A. Einhorn, “The cell and molecular biology of fracture healing,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 355, pp. S7–S21, 1998.
- O. Gauthier, R. Müller, D. von Stechow et al., “In vivo bone regeneration with injectable calcium phosphate biomaterial: a three-dimensional micro-computed tomographic, biomechanical and SEM study,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 27, pp. 5444–5453, 2005.
- J. Moura, L. N. Teixeira, C. Ravagnani et al., “In vitro osteogenesis on a highly bioactive glass-ceramic (Biosilicate),” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 545–557, 2007.
- A. C. M. Renno, P. A. McDonnell, M. C. Crovace, E. D. Zanotto, and L. Laakso, “Effect of 830 nm laser phototherapy on osteoblasts grown in vitro on Biosilicate scaffolds,” Photomedicine and laser surgery, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 131–133, 2010.
- R. N. Granito, A. C. Rennõ, C. Ravagnani et al., “In vivo biological performance of a novel highly bioactive glass-ceramic (Biosilicate): a biomechanical and histomorphometric study in rat tibial defects,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 139–147, 2011.
- R. N. Granito, D. A. Ribeiro, A. C. M. Rennó et al., “Effects of biosilicate and bioglass 45S5 on tibial bone consolidation on rats: a biomechanical and a histological study,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 2521–2526, 2009.
- V. M. Roriz, A. L. Rosa, O. Peitl, E. D. Zanotto, H. Panzeri, and P. T. De Oliveira, “Efficacy of a bioactive glass-ceramic (Biosilicate) in the maintenance of alveolar ridges and in osseointegration of titanium implants,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 148–155, 2010.
- M. R. Azenha, O. Peitl, and V. M. Barros, “Bone response to biosilicates with different crystal phases,” Brazilian Dental Journal, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 383–389, 2010.
- P. Oliveira, D. A. Ribeiro, E. F. Pipi, P. Driusso, N. A. Parizotto, and A. C. M. Renno, “Low level laser therapy does not modulate the outcomes of a highly bioactive glass-ceramic (Biosilicate) on bone consolidation in rats,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1379–1384, 2010.
- P. S. Bossini, A. C. Muniz Renno, D. A. Ribeiro et al., “Biosilicate and low-level laser therapy improve bone repair in osteoporotic rats,” Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 229–237, 2011.