- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 142323, 9 pages
Lower-Limb Joint Coordination Pattern in Obese Subjects
1Department of Occupational Medicine, INAIL, Via Fontana Candida 1, Monte Porzio Catone, 00040 Rome, Italy
2Department of Experimental Medicine, Medical Physiopathology, Food Science and Endocrinology Section, Food Science and Human Nutrition Research Unit, Sapienza University of Rome, Ple Aldo Moro 5, 00185 Rome, Italy
3Villa delle Querce Clinical Rehabilitation Institute, Unit of Metabolic and Nutritional Rehabilitation, Via delle Vigne 19, Nemi, 00040 Rome, Italy
4Fondazione Don Gnocchi, 20148 Milan, Italy
5Rehabilitation Centre, Policlinico Italia, Piazza del Campidano 6, 00162 Rome, Italy
6Department of Medical and Surgical Science and Biotechnologies, Sapienza University of Rome, Via Faggiana 34, 40100 Latina, Italy
Received 13 August 2012; Accepted 29 October 2012
Academic Editor: Giuseppe Spinella
Copyright © 2013 Alberto Ranavolo et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- National Institutes oh Health, “Practical Guide to the identification, evaluation and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults,” Bethesda, Md, USA, National Insitutes of Health, 2000.
- P. Capodaglio, G. Castelnuovo, A. Brunani, L. Vismara, V. Villa, and E. M. Capodaglio, “Functional limitations and occupational issues in obesity: a review,” International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 507–523, 2010.
- U. E. Larsson and E. Mattsson, “Functional limitations linked to high body mass index, age and current pain in obese women,” International Journal of Obesity, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 893–899, 2001.
- D. L. Gushue, J. Houck, and A. L. Lerner, “Effects of childhood obesity on three-dimensional knee joint biomechanics during walking,” Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 763–768, 2005.
- P. P. K. Lai, A. K. L. Leung, A. N. M. Li, and M. Zhang, “Three-dimensional gait analysis of obese adults,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 23, no. 1, supplement, pp. S2–S6, 2008.
- P. Spyropoulos, J. C. Pisciotta, K. N. Pavlou, M. A. Cairns, and S. R. Simon, “Biomechanical gait analysis in obese men,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 72, no. 13, pp. 1065–1070, 1991.
- S. A. F. De Souza, J. Faintuch, A. C. Valezi et al., “Gait cinematic analysis in morbidly obese patients,” Obesity Surgery, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 1238–1242, 2005.
- P. DeVita and T. Hortobágyi, “Obesity is not associated with increased knee joint torque and power during level walking,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1355–1362, 2003.
- L. Vismara, M. Romei, M. Galli et al., “Clinical implications of gait analysis in the rehabilitation of adult patients with “prader-Willi” Syndrome: a cross-sectional comparative study (“Prader-Willi” Syndrome versus matched obese patients and healthy subjects),” Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation, vol. 4, article 14, 2007.
- D. Malatesta, L. Vismara, F. Menegoni, M. Galli, M. Romei, and P. Capodaglio, “Mechanical external work and recovery at preferred walking speed in obese subjects,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 426–434, 2009.
- R. C. Browning, J. R. Modica, R. Kram, and A. Goswami, “The effects of adding mass to the legs on the energetics and biomechanics of walking,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 515–525, 2007.
- V. Cimolin, L. Vismara, M. Galli, F. Zaina, and S. Negrini, “Effects of obesity and chronic low back pain on gait,” Journal of Neuroengineering and Rehabilitation, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 55–61, 2011.
- A. Cereatti, M. Donati, V. Camomilla, F. Margheritini, and A. Cappozzo, “Hip joint centre location: an ex vivo study,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 42, no. 7, pp. 818–823, 2009.
- J. Nantel, M. Brochu, and F. Prince, “Locomotor strategies in obese and non-obese children,” Obesity, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 1789–1794, 2006.
- H. Haken, J. A. S. Kelso, and H. Bunz, “A theoretical model of phase transitions in human hand movements,” Biological Cybernetics, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 347–356, 1985.
- L. Li, E. C. H. Van Den Bogert, G. E. Caldwell, R. E. A. Van Emmerik, and J. Hamill, “Coordination patterns of walking and running at similar speed and stride frequency,” Human Movement Science, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 67–85, 1999.
- M. J. Kurz and N. Stergiou, “Does footwear affect ankle coordination strategies?” Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 53–58, 2004.
- A. T. DeLeo, T. A. Dierks, R. Ferber, and I. S. Davis, “Lower extremity joint coupling during running: a current update,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 983–991, 2004.
- M. J. Kurz, N. Stergiou, U. H. Buzzi, and A. D. Georgoulis, “The effect of anterior cruciate ligament recontruction on lower extremity relative phase dynamics during walking and running,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 107–115, 2005.
- L. K. Drewes, P. O. McKeon, G. Paolini et al., “Altered ankle kinematics and shank-rear-foot coupling in those with chronic ankle instability,” Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 375–388, 2009.
- S. L. Chiu, T. W. Lu, and L. S. Chou, “Altered inter-joint coordination during walking in patients with total hip arthroplasty,” Gait and Posture, vol. 32, no. 4, pp. 656–660, 2010.
- A. Winogrodzka, R. C. Wagenaar, J. Booij, and E. C. Wolters, “Rigidity and bradykinesia reduce interlimb coordination in Parkinsonian gait,” Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 86, no. 2, pp. 183–189, 2005.
- G. Kwakkel and R. C. Wagenaar, “Effect of duration of upper- and lower-extremity rehabilitation sessions and walking speed on recovery of interlimb coordination in hemiplegic gait,” Physical Therapy, vol. 82, no. 5, pp. 432–448, 2002.
- E. Hutin, D. Pradon, F. Barbier, J. M. Gracies, B. Bussel, and N. Roche, “Lower limb coordination patterns in hemiparetic gait: factors of knee flexion impairment,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 304–311, 2011.
- E. G. Fowler and E. J. Goldberg, “The effect of lower extremity selective voluntary motor control on interjoint coordination during gait in children with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy,” Gait and Posture, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 102–107, 2009.
- C. J. T. Van Uden, J. K. C. Bloo, J. G. M. Kooloos, A. Van Kampen, J. De Witte, and R. C. Wagenaar, “Coordination and stability of one-legged hopping patterns in patients with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: preliminary results,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 84–87, 2003.
- R. G. Crowther, W. L. Spinks, A. S. Leicht, F. Quigley, and J. Golledge, “Intralimb coordination variability in peripheral arterial disease,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 357–364, 2008.
- R. H. Miller, S. A. Meardon, T. R. Derrick, and J. C. Gillette, “Continuous relative phase variability during an exhaustive run in runners with a history of iliotibial band syndrome,” Journal of Applied Biomechanics, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 262–270, 2008.
- W. E. Siri, “Body composition from fluid spaces and density: analysis of methods,” in Techniques for Measuring Body Composition, pp. 223–244, National Academy of Science, National Research Council, Washington, DC, USA, 1963.
- American Thoracic Society, “ATS statement: guidelines for the 6-minute walk test,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 166, pp. 111–117, 2002.
- G. Borg, “Psychophysical scaling with applications in physical work and the perception of exertion,” Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment and Health, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 55–58, 1990.
- A. W. Andrews, M. W. Thomas, and R. W. Bohannon, “Normative values for isometric muscle force measurements obtained with hand-held dynamometers,” Physical Therapy, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 248–259, 1996.
- R. B. Davis, S. Õunpuu, D. Tyburski, and J. R. Gage, “A gait analysis data collection and reduction technique,” Human Movement Science, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 575–587, 1991.
- T. W. Lu, H. C. Yen, and H. L. Chen, “Comparisons of the inter-joint coordination between leading and trailing limbs when crossing obstacles of different heights,” Gait and Posture, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 309–315, 2008.
- H. C. Yen, H. L. Chen, M. W. Liu, H. C. Liu, and T. W. Lu, “Age effects on the inter-joint coordination during obstacle-crossing,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 42, no. 15, pp. 2501–2506, 2009.
- N. Stergiou, J. L. Jensen, B. T. Bates, S. D. Scholten, and G. Tzetzis, “A dynamical systems investigation of lower extremity coordination during running over obstacles,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 213–221, 2001.
- M. P. Kadaba, H. K. Ramakrishnan, M. E. Wootten, J. Gainey, G. Gorton, and G. V. B. Cochran, “Repeatability of kinematic, kinetic, and electromyographic data in normal adult gait,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 849–860, 1989.
- G. Steinwender, V. Saraph, S. Scheiber, E. B. Zwick, C. Uitz, and K. Hackl, “Intrasubject repeatability of gait analysis data in normal and spastic children,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 134–139, 2000.
- B. E. Maki, “Gait changes in older adults: predictors of falls or indicators of fear?” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 313–320, 1997.
- W. Park, J. Ramachandran, P. Weisman, and E. S. Jung, “Obesity effect on male active joint range of motion,” Ergonomics, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 102–108, 2010.
- N. A. Borghese, L. Bianchi, and F. Lacquaniti, “Kinematic determinants of human locomotion,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 494, no. 3, pp. 863–879, 1996.
- R. C. Browning and R. Kram, “Effects of obesity on the biomechanics of walking at different speeds,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1632–1641, 2007.
- Y. Barak, R. C. Wagenaar, and K. G. Holt, “Gait characteristics of elderly people with a history of falls: a dynamic approach,” Physical Therapy, vol. 86, no. 11, pp. 1501–1510, 2006.
- J. M. Hausdorff and F. Danion, “Stride variability: beyond length and frequency (multiple letters),” Gait and Posture, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 304–305, 2004.
- J. C. Lovejoy and A. Sainsbury, “Sex differences in obesity and the regulation of energy homeostasis,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 154–167, 2009.
- A. L. Hof, M. G. J. Gazendam, and W. E. Sinke, “The condition for dynamic stability,” Journal of Biomechanics, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2005.