- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 146953, 8 pages
Skeletal Muscle Regeneration on Protein-Grafted and Microchannel-Patterned Scaffold for Hypopharyngeal Tissue Engineering
1Department of Otorhinolaryngology of Lihuili Hospital, Ningbo University, Ningbo 315211, China
2The Medical School, Ningbo University, Ningbo 315211, China
Received 23 May 2013; Accepted 27 August 2013
Academic Editor: M. Rita I. Young
Copyright © 2013 Zhisen Shen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. M. Mendenhall, J. W. Werning, and D. G. Pfister, Treatment of Head and Neck Cancer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2011.
- A. Escribano Uzcudun, P. Bravo Fernández, J. J. Sánchez et al., “Clinical features of pharyngeal cancer: a retrospective study of 258 consecutive patients,” Journal of Laryngology and Otology, vol. 115, no. 2, pp. 112–118, 2001.
- J. Y. Chan and W. I. Wei, “Current management strategy of hypopharyngeal carcinoma,” Auris Nasus Larynx, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 2–6, 2013.
- H.-T. Hsiao, Y.-S. Leu, Y.-C. Chang, J.-C. Yang, and K.-Y. Tung, “Voice and swallowing after laryngopharyngectomy and free ileocolic flap reconstruction for hypopharyngeal cancer,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 62, no. 4, pp. 390–394, 2009.
- S. Yamawaki, K. Sawabe, K. Kataoka, S. Tanaka, and S. Suzuki, “The combined use of hyoid bone flap and radial forearm free flap for reconstruction following partial laryngopharyngectomy,” Annals of Plastic Surgery, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 257–260, 2011.
- H.-W. Liu, Z.-D. Li, H.-L. Dong, and S.-C. Li, “Application of free anterolateral thigh flap in head and neck surgery,” Chinese Journal of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, vol. 46, no. 5, pp. 378–381, 2011.
- W. H. Wang, T. Z. Hwang, C. H. Chang, et al., “Reconstruction of pharyngeal defects with a submental island flap after hypopharyngeal carcinoma ablation,” Journal of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology and Its Related Specialties, vol. 74, no. 6, pp. 304–309, 2012.
- H. Peng, S. J. Wang, X. Yang, et al., “Infrahyoid myocutaneous flap for medium-sized head and neck defects: surgical outcome and technique modification,” Otolaryngology, vol. 148, no. 1, pp. 47–53, 2013.
- J. Y. Chan, V. L. Chow, R. C. Chan, et al., “Oncological outcome after free jejunal flap reconstruction for carcinoma of the hypopharynx,” European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, vol. 269, no. 7, pp. 1827–1832, 2012.
- M. Sakuraba, T. Asano, S. Miyamoto et al., “Three-dimensional reconstruction of supraglottic structures after partial pharyngolaryngectomy for hypopharyngeal cancer,” Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 38, no. 6, pp. 408–413, 2008.
- S. MacLean, W. S. Khan, A. A. Malik, S. Anand, and M. Snow, “The potential of stem cells in the treatment of skeletal muscle injury and disease,” Stem Cells International, vol. 2012, Article ID 282348, 9 pages, 2012.
- N. F. Huang, R. G. Thakar, M. Wong, et al., “Tissue engineering of muscle on micropatterned polymer films,” in Proceedings of the Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, vol. 7, pp. 4966–4992, 2004.
- J. Ma, K. Holden, J. Zhu, H. Pan, and Y. Li, “The application of three-dimensional collagen-scaffolds seeded with myoblasts to repair skeletal muscle defects,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 812135, 9 pages, 2011.
- M. M. R. Khan, M. Tsukada, Y. Gotoh, H. Morikawa, G. Freddi, and H. Shiozaki, “Physical properties and dyeability of silk fibers degummed with citric acid,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 101, no. 21, pp. 8439–8445, 2010.
- B. Das, P. Chattopadhyay, M. Mandal, et al., “Bio-based biodegradable and biocompatible hyperbranched polyurethane: a scaffold for tissue engineering,” Macromolecular Bioscience, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 126–139, 2013.
- M. Sayaka, K. Ryo, N. Yasumoto, et al., “Bombyx mori silk fibroin scaffolds for bone regeneration studied by bone differentiation experiment,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 115, no. 5, pp. 575–578, 2013.
- Y. Zhu, C. Gao, T. He, and J. Shen, “Endothelium regeneration on luminal surface of polyurethane vascular scaffold modified with diamine and covalently grafted with gelatin,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 423–430, 2004.
- Y. Zhu, C. Gao, X. Liu, and J. Shen, “Surface modification of polycaprolactone membrane via aminolysis and biomacromolecule immobilization for promoting cytocompatibility of human endothelial cells,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 1312–1319, 2002.
- J. Yin, E. Chen, D. Porter, and Z. Shao, “Enhancing the toughness of regenerated silk fibroin film through uniaxial extension,” Biomacromolecules, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 2890–2895, 2010.
- J. E. McBane, J. P. Santerre, and R. S. Labow, “The interaction between hydrolytic and oxidative pathways in macrophage-mediated polyurethane degradation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, vol. 82, no. 4, pp. 984–994, 2007.
- J. E. McBane, S. Sharifpoor, K. Cai, R. S. Labow, and J. P. Santerre, “Biodegradation and in vivo biocompatibility of a degradable, polar/hydrophobic/ionic polyurethane for tissue engineering applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 26, pp. 6034–6044, 2011.
- G. A. Skarja and K. A. Woodhouse, “In vitro degradation and erosion of degradable, segmented polyurethanes containing an amino acid-based chain extender,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 12, no. 8, pp. 851–873, 2001.
- S. J. Stachelek, I. Alferiev, J. M. Connolly et al., “Cholesterol-modified polyurethane valve cusps demonstrate blood outgrowth endothelial cell adhesion post-seeding in vitro and in vivo,” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 47–55, 2006.
- C. Oehr, “Plasma surface modification of polymers for biomedical use,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, vol. 208, no. 1–4, pp. 40–47, 2003.
- D. He, H. Susanto, and M. Ulbricht, “Photo-irradiation for preparation, modification and stimulation of polymeric membranes,” Progress in Polymer Science, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 62–98, 2009.
- X. Xu, Y. Yu, and L. Yang, “The progress in research on silk fibroin blend membranes,” Advanced Materials Research, vol. 311–313, pp. 2052–2058, 2011.
- T. K. Teh, S. L. Toh, and J. C. Goh, “Aligned fibrous scaffolds for enhanced mechanoresponse and tenogenesis of mesenchymal stem cells,” Tissue Engineering Part A, vol. 19, no. 11-12, pp. 1360–1372, 2013.
- J. Yuan, Z. Tang, S. Yang, et al., “CRABP2 promotes myoblast differentiation and is modulated by the transcription factors MyoD and Sp1 in C2C12 cells,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 1, Article ID e55479, 2013.
- B. D. Cosgrove, A. Sacco, P. M. Gilbert, and H. M. Blau, “A home away from home: challenges and opportunities in engineering in vitro muscle satellite cell niches,” Differentiation, vol. 78, no. 2-3, pp. 185–194, 2009.