- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 150739, 7 pages
Simulated Microgravity Combined with Polyglycolic Acid Scaffold Culture Conditions Improves the Function of Pancreatic Islets
1Department of General Surgery, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing 100730, China
2The Key Laboratory of Cell Transplantation of Ministry of Health and Department of General Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University, No. 23 Youzheng Street, Nangang District, Harbin, Heilongjiang, China
3General Surgery, Heilongjiang Provincial Hospital, Nangang Branch, Harbin 150001, China
Received 28 February 2013; Revised 1 June 2013; Accepted 16 June 2013
Academic Editor: Manoor Prakash Hande
Copyright © 2013 Yimin Song et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Biason-Lauber, B. Boehm, M. Lang-Muritano et al., “Association of childhood type 1 diabetes mellitus with a variant of PAX4: possible link to beta cell regenerative capacity,” Diabetologia, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 900–905, 2005.
- J. A. Ehses, D. T. Meier, S. Wueest et al., “Toll-like receptor 2-deficient mice are protected from insulin resistance and beta cell dysfunction induced by a high-fat diet,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 1795–1806, 2010.
- A. Salazar-Bañuelos, J. R. Wright Jr., D. Sigalet, and L. Benítez-Bribiesca, “Pancreatic islet transplantation into the bone marrow of the rat,” The American Journal of Surgery, vol. 195, no. 5, pp. 674–678, 2008.
- E. S. O'Sullivan, A. S. Johnson, A. Omer et al., “Rat islet cell aggregates are superior to islets for transplantation in microcapsules,” Diabetologia, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 937–945, 2010.
- D. M. Ridgway, S. A. White, R. M. Kimber, and M. L. Nicholson, “Current practices of donor pancreas allocation in the UK: future implications for pancreas and islet transplantation,” Transplant International, vol. 18, no. 7, pp. 828–834, 2005.
- S. I. Gundersen, G. Chen, H. M. Powell, and A. F. Palmer, “Hemoglobin regulates the metabolic and synthetic function of rat insulinoma cells cultured in a hollow fiber bioreactor,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 582–592, 2010.
- S. Chun, Y. Huang, W. J. Xie et al., “Adhesive growth of pancreatic islet cells on a polyglycolic acid fibrous scaffold,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 40, no. 5, pp. 1658–1663, 2008.
- B. Kuttler, A. Hartmann, and H. Wanka, “Long-term culture of islets abrogates cytokine-induced or lymphocyte-induced increase of antigen expression on β cells,” Transplantation, vol. 74, no. 4, pp. 440–445, 2002.
- X.-H. Lei, L.-N. Ning, Y.-J. Cao et al., “Nasa-approved rotary bioreactor enhances proliferation of human epidermal stem cells and supports formation of 3d epidermis-like structure,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 11, Article ID e26603, 2011.
- C. Wu, X. Guo, F. Wang et al., “Simulated microgravity compromises mouse oocyte maturation by disrupting meiotic spindle organization and inducing cytoplasmic blebbing,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 7, Article ID e22214, 2011.
- L. E. Freed, A. P. Hollander, I. Martin, J. R. Barry, R. Langer, and G. Vunjak-Novakovic, “Chondrogenesis in a cell-polymer-bioreactor system,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 240, no. 1, pp. 58–65, 1998.
- S. Panseri, C. Cunha, J. Lowery et al., “Electrospun micro- and nanofiber tubes for functional nervous regeneration in sciatic nerve transections,” BMC Biotechnology, vol. 8, article 39, 2008.
- H. Pan, H. Jiang, and W. Chen, “Interaction of dermal fibroblasts with electrospun composite polymer scaffolds prepared from dextran and poly lactide-co-glycolide,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 17, pp. 3209–3220, 2006.
- J. E. McBane, K. G. Battiston, A. Wadhwani, S. Sharifpoor, R. S. Labow, and J. P. Santerre, “The effect of degradable polymer surfaces on co-cultures of monocytes and smooth muscle cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 14, pp. 3584–3595, 2011.
- Y. Xue, S. Dånmark, Z. Xing, et al., “Growth and differentiation of bone marrow stromal cells on biodegradable polymer scaffolds: an in vitro study,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 1244–1251, 2010.
- S. Seo and K. Na, “Mesenchymal stem cell-based tissue engineering for chondrogenesis,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2011, Article ID 806891, 8 pages, 2011.
- B.-S. Kim, J. Nikolovski, J. Bonadio, E. Smiley, and D. J. Mooney, “Engineered smooth muscle tissues: regulating cell phenotype with the scaffold,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 251, no. 2, pp. 318–328, 1999.
- M. Zayzafoon, W. E. Gathings, and J. M. McDonald, “Modeled microgravity inhibits osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells and increases adipogenesis,” Endocrinology, vol. 145, no. 5, pp. 2421–2432, 2004.
- S. di Agostino, F. Botti, A. di Carlo, C. Sette, and R. Geremia, “Meiotic progression of isolated mouse spermatocytes under simulated microgravity,” Reproduction, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 25–32, 2004.
- L. Margolis, S. Hatfill, R. Chuaqui et al., “Long term organ culture of human prostate tissue in a NASA-designed rotating wall bioreactor,” Journal of Urology, vol. 161, no. 1, pp. 290–297, 1999.
- K. P. Singh, R. Kumari, and J. W. DuMond, “Simulated microgravity-induced epigenetic changes in human lymphocytes,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 123–129, 2010.
- L. J. Cummings, N. B. E. Sawyer, S. P. Morgan, F. R. A. J. Rose, and S. L. Waters, “Tracking large solid constructs suspended in a rotating bioreactor: a combined experimental and theoretical study,” Biotechnology and Bioengineering, vol. 104, no. 6, pp. 1224–1234, 2009.
- V. E. Meyers, M. Zayzafoon, J. T. Douglas, and J. M. McDonald, “RhoA and cytoskeletal disruption mediate reduced osteoblastogenesis and enhanced adipogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells in modeled microgravity,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1858–1866, 2005.
- B. W. Tobin, S. K. Leeper-Woodford, B. B. Hashemi, S. M. Smith, and C. F. Sams, “Altered TNF-α, glucose, insulin, and amino acids in islets of Langerhans cultured in a microgravity model system,” The American Journal of Physiology, Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 280, no. 1, pp. E92–E102, 2001.
- L. P. Rutzky, S. Bilinski, M. Kloc et al., “Microgravity culture condition reduces immunogenicity and improves function of pancreatic islets,” Transplantation, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 13–21, 2002.
- C. Vilos and L. A. Velasquez, “Therapeutic strategies based on polymeric microparticles,” Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology, vol. 2012, Article ID 672760, 9 pages, 2012.
- A. Lesman, J. Koffler, R. Atlas, Y. J. Blinder, Z. Kam, and S. Levenberg, “Engineering vessel-like networks within multicellular fibrin-based constructs,” Biomaterials, vol. 32, no. 31, pp. 7856–7869, 2011.
- X. Wang, X. Li, Y. Li et al., “Synthesis, characterization and biocompatibility of poly(2-ethyl-2-oxazoline)-poly(d,l-lactide)-poly(2-ethyl-2-oxazoline) hydrogels,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 4149–4159, 2011.
- J. H. Cui, K. Park, S. R. Park, and B.-H. Min, “Effects of low-intensity ultrasound on chondrogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells embedded in polyglycolic acid: an in vivo study,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2006.
- M. Kim, Y. S. Choi, S. H. Yang et al., “Muscle regeneration by adipose tissue-derived adult stem cells attached to injectable PLGA spheres,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 348, no. 2, pp. 386–392, 2006.
- T. Tanaka, M. Hirose, N. Kotobuki et al., “Bone augmentation by bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells cultured in three-dimensional biodegradable polymer scaffolds,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 91, no. 2, pp. 428–435, 2009.
- N. Mahmoudifar and P. M. Doran, “Chondrogenic differentiation of human adipose-derived stem cells in polyglycolic acid mesh scaffolds under dynamic culture conditions,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 14, pp. 3858–3867, 2010.
- G. S. Mundinger, R. B. Prucz, S. M. Rozen, and A. P. Tufaro, “Reconstruction of the inferior alveolar nerve with bioabsorbable polyglycolic acid nerve conduits,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 110e–117e, 2012.
- X. Qu, W. Cui, F. Yang et al., “The effect of oxygen plasma pretreatment and incubation in modified simulated body fluids on the formation of bone-like apatite on poly(lactide-co-glycolide) (70/30),” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 9–18, 2007.
- E. A. Vogler, “Structure and reactivity of water at biomaterial surfaces,” Advances in Colloid and Interface Science, vol. 74, no. 1–3, pp. 69–117, 1998.