- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 151363, 12 pages
Trace Level Determination of Polyether Ionophores in Feed
1Chemistry and Toxicology Unit, Research and Laboratory Department, Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira, Mustialankatu 3, 00790 Helsinki, Finland
2Product Safety Unit, Control Department, Finnish Food Safety Authority Evira, Mustialankatu 3, 00790 Helsinki, Finland
Received 29 August 2012; Revised 24 October 2012; Accepted 24 October 2012
Academic Editor: Adam Huczynski
Copyright © 2013 Mervi Rokka et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. E. Jones, J. Solis, B. L. Hughes, D. J. Castaldo, and J. E. Toler, “Production and egg-quality responses of White Leghorn layers to anticoccidial agents,” Poultry Science, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 378–387, 1990.
- EFSA (European Food Safety Authority), “Opinion of the Scientific Panel on Additives and Products or Substances used in Animal Feed on the safety and efficacy of the coccidiostat Elancoban (monensin sodium) as a feed additive for calves for rearing and cattle for fattening in accordance with Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003,” The European Food Safety Authority Journal, vol. 387, pp. 1–33, 2006.
- “Report of Scientific Committee for Animal Nutrition on the use of lasalocid sodium in feedingstuffs for finishing cattle,” Opinion expressed, 27 July 1990.
- EFSA (European Food Safety Authority), “Cross-contamination of non-target feedingstuffs by narasin authorised for use as a feed additive,” The European Food Safety Authority Journal, vol. 552, pp. 1–35, 2007.
- EFSA (European Food Safety Authority), “Cross-contamination of non-target feedingstuffs by maduramicin authorised for use as a feed additive,” The European Food Safety Authority Journal, vol. 594, pp. 1–30, 2008.
- EFSA (European Food Safety Authority), “Cross-contamination of non-target feedingstuffs by semduramicin authorised for use as a feed additive,” The European Food Safety Authority Journal, vol. 593, pp. 1–27, 2008.
- G. Kabell, R. K. Saini, P. Somani, and B. C. Pressman, “Effects of the carboxylic ionophore monensin on regional blood flow in normal and ischemic myocardium in anesthetized dogs,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 211, no. 1, pp. 231–237, 1979.
- J. V. Levy and G. Inesi, “Positive inotropic effect on isolated human atrial muscle produced by the ionophore X 537A: preliminary report,” Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 32–34, 1974.
- G. Weiss, “The integration of pharmacological and toxicological testing of tissue residues in the evaluation of their human food safety,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, vol. 22, no. 6-8, pp. 829–848, 1990.
- D. G. Kennedy, P. J. Hughes, and W. J. Blanchflower, “Ionophore residues in eggs in Northern Ireland: incidence and cause,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 535–541, 1998.
- D. G. Kennedy, W. J. Blanchflower, P. J. Hughes, and W. J. McCaughey, “The incidence and cause of lasalocid residues in eggs in Northern Ireland,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 787–794, 1996.
- J. Rosén, “Efficient and sensitive screening and confirmation of residues of selected polyether ionophore antibiotics in liver and eggs by liquid chromatography-electrospray tandem mass spectrometry,” The Analyst, vol. 126, no. 11, pp. 1990–1995, 2001.
- “Results of residue examination of products of animal origin in Finland 2003,” National Food Agency (NFA), National Veterinary and Food Research Institute (EELA) and Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), Helsinki, Finland, pp. 1–69, 2004.
- M. Rokka, S. Eerola, U. Perttilä et al., “The residue levels of narasin in eggs of laying hens fed with unmedicated and medicated feed,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 38–42, 2005.
- “Results of residue examinations of products of animal origin in Finland 2003,” National Food Agency (NFA), National Veterinary and Food Research Institute (EELA) and Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (MAF), Helsinki, Finland, pp. 1–69, 2004.
- M. Jestoi, M. Rokka, and K. Peltonen, “An integrated sample preparation to determine coccidiostats and emerging Fusarium-mycotoxins in various poultry tissues with LC-MS/MS,” Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 625–637, 2007.
- D. K. Matabudul, N. T. Crosby, I. Lumley, and S. Sumara, “The optimisation of a rapid method for the determination of lasalocid in poultry feed using supercritical fluid extraction and high performance liquid chromatography,” Food Chemistry, vol. 75, no. 4, pp. 465–471, 2001.
- C. Focht, H. Campbell, J. Dalgleish et al., “Determination of lasalocid sodium in animal feeds and premixes by reversed-phase liquid chromatography: collaborative study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 479–488, 2008.
- G. Dusi and V. Gamba, “Liquid chromatography with ultraviolet detection of lasalocid, monensin, salinomycin and narasin in poultry feeds using pre-column derivatization,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 835, no. 1-2, pp. 243–246, 1999.
- A. Thalmann, K. Wagner, M. Tomassen, J. Driessen, and J. de Jong, “Liquid chromatographic method to determine narasin in feedingstuffs and premixtures: development, validation, and interlaboratory study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 1278–1286, 2004.
- J. de Jong, B. Stoisser, K. Wagner et al., “Determination of maduramicin in feedingstuffs and premixtures by liquid chromatography: development, validation, and interlaboratory study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 1033–1041, 2004.
- H. Campbell, G. Nayeri, J. M. Costa et al., “Determination of monensin, narasin, and salinomycin in mineral premixes, supplements, and animal feeds by liquid chromatography and post-column derivatization: collaborative study,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 1229–1242, 2006.
- G. Tavcar-Kalcher, K. Pavsic-Vrtac, and A. Vengust, “Validation of the procedure for the determination of maduramicin in concentrates, premixes, and feeds by liquid chromatography,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 22, pp. 1–5, 2008.
- J. Wang and P. Sporns, “MALDI-TOF MS quantification of coccidiostats in poultry feeds,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 48, no. 7, pp. 2807–2811, 2000.
- V. Hormazábal, Ø. Østensvik, and M. Kaldhusdal, “An improved LC-MS method for the determination of lasalocid, monensin, narasin, and salinomycin in feed,” Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies, vol. 28, no. 17, pp. 2769–2776, 2005.
- J. G. Ebel, T. Wachs, and J. D. Henion, “Rapid forensic selected reaction monitoring liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry determination of ionophore antibiotics found at toxic levels in animal feeds,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 25–30, 2004.
- U. Vincent, M. Chedin, S. Yasar, and C. von Holst, “Determination of ionophore coccidiostats in feedingstuffs by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Part I. Application to targeted feed,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 47, no. 4-5, pp. 750–757, 2008.
- S. B. Turnipseed, J. E. Roybal, A. P. Pfenning, S. A. Gonzales, J. A. Hurlbut, and M. R. Madson, “LC/MS confirmation of ionophores in animal feeds,” Journal of AOAC International, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 640–647, 2001.
- M. Huang, W. K. Rumbeiha, W. Emmett Braselton, and M. Johnson, “Rapid and reliable identification of ionophore antibiotics in feeds by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry,” Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 358–363, 2011.
- P. Delahaut, G. Pierret, N. Ralet, M. Dubois, and N. Gillard, “Multi-residue method for detecting coccidiostats at carry-over level in feed by HPLC-MS/MS,” Food Additives and Contaminants A, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 801–809, 2010.
- “Commission Directive 2009/8/EC amending Annex I to Directive 2002/32/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council as regards maximum levels of unavoidable carry-over of coccidiostats or histomonostats in non-target feed,” Official Journal of the European Union, vol. 40, pp. 19–25, 2009.
- AM-AA-CR-J424-AC-791, Determination of Narasin in Raw Material, Premix and Poultry and Cattle Rations by HPLC Using Post-Column Derivatization, Animal Science Chemical Research Lilly Research Laboratories A Division of Eli Lilly and Company Greenfield, Indiana, USA.
- M. Jestoi, M. Rokka, A. Rizzo, K. Peltonen, and S. Aurasaari, “Determination of Fusarium-mycotoxins beauvericin and enniatins with liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS),” Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 369–381, 2005.
- M. Sulyok, F. Berthiller, R. Krska, and R. Schuhmacher, “Development and validation of a liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometric method for the determination of 39 mycotoxins in wheat and maize,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 20, no. 18, pp. 2649–2659, 2006.
- J. M. P. van Trijp and A. H. Roos, “Model for the calculation of calibration curves,” RIKILT Report 91.02, 1991.
- “Commission Decision 2002/657/EC of 12 August 2002,” Official Journal of the European Communities L, vol. 221, p. 8, 2002.
- D. A. Volmer and C. M. Lock, “Electrospray ionization and collision-induced dissociation of antibiotic polyether ionophores,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 12, pp. 157–164, 1998.
- M. Rokka and K. Peltonen, “Simultaneous determination of four coccidiostats in eggs and broiler meat: validation of an LC-MS/MS method,” Food Additives and Contaminants, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 470–478, 2006.
- L. Mortier, E. Daeseleire, and C. van Peteghem, “Determination of the ionophoric coccidiostats narasin, monensin, lasalocid and salinomycin in eggs by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry,” Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 533–539, 2005.
- D. K. Matabudul, I. D. Lumley, and J. S. Points, “The determination of 5 anticoccidial drugs (nicarbazin, lasalocid, monensin, salinomycin and narasin) in animal livers and eggs by liquid chromatography linked with tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS-MS),” The Analyst, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 760–768, 2002.
- L. L. Jessome and D. A. Volmer, “Ion suppression: a major concern in mass spectrometry,” LC-GC North America, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 498–510, 2006.